PDA

View Full Version : Dressage in middle GA?

rlmatherly
Feb. 1, 2011, 06:30 PM
The military has so kindly deposited us in the middle of Middle GA, at Robins AFB. The trick now is finding a trainer that is south of Atlanta... which I am so not having luck with. There are also no English tack shops and I will be shopping for my first "adult" size saddle so suggestions on companies with good trial periods would be appreciated too. I have met a few people here but actual trainers seem pretty scarce so I thought I'd ask...

Cielo Azure
Feb. 1, 2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.veritasfarm.net/index.html
Anke Boersma may be close enough for you...

lynnridge
Feb. 2, 2011, 07:35 AM
I am not exactly sure where you are located but Gigi Nutter might be close.

Her website: tngfarm@bellsouth.net

Good luck.

katarine
Feb. 2, 2011, 09:53 AM
Keep an eye on Judy Pirtle's place in S AL...where you are really is not a hot bed of anything fun, boo :(

TKR
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:29 AM
Judy is fabulous! You could check the GDCTA website and see who might be in your area. I am not sure where Robins AFB is in GA, but hopefully someone is within a reasonable driving distance. Good luck and thanks for your service!
PennyG

Equibrit
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:31 AM
Check in with these folks; (Robins AFB is just south of Macon at Warner Robins)
http://www.mgsha.com/
One of their Directors seems to be in your line of work (barbara.fritz@robins.af.mil)

"General Membership Meeting
Saturday Feb 5

Please be a part of our first MGSHA meeting/get together for 2011! Keri Hall has graciously agreed to host this event at her farm.

If you can't be there all day. at least join us for part of the activities. Bring a friend - everyone's invited!

Agenda:

10 am Saddle fitting demonstration by Nancy Bardy (www.harmonysaddlefitting.com (http://www.harmonysaddlefitting.com)) nancy will give a talk on saddle fitting using her saddles and keri's horses. However, this is a great chance for you to have your horse professionally fitted for a saddle or have your saddle re-flocked or repaired. Prices: $75-85 for a fitting consultation and light flocking. Nancy will have her mobile repair van.

If you want ot have a private consultation with Nancy or work done on your tack, please call keri (478-396-8714) or email her, kevinandkeri@bellsouth.net, so she can put you on the schedule, and, if needed, have a stall available.

11:30 am Lunch
The club is providing sandwiches/drinks/cookies. If you are so inclined, please bring a side dish or dessert to share! Lunch entertainment includes viewing the 2010 World Equestrian Games video recap.

1:00 pm Business Meeting
We will be discussing the 2011 show calendar and planning a Spring clinic. Your participation in this meeting is critical to keeping the club viable!

Please RSVP to slinkypony@gmail.com so that we are sure to have enough sandwiches and goodies!

Directions to Keri's farm:

Hwy 42 off of Hwy 49 in byron towards Roberta. Go 7 1/2 miles, turn left onto Taylor Mill road (sign says Marshall Mill road on the right). the farm is 1/2 mile on left.
7070 Taylor Mill Road
478-396-871

B1Wife
Feb. 2, 2011, 08:15 PM
I'll second the recommendation for Judy Pirtle at Sucaro Ridge farm in Tuskegee, AL. It's not far from the GA border, right off I85. Thanks to the Air Force, I, too, have been plunked down in lovely central Alabama. Judy is probably the best thing that could have happened to me. Lovely facility, a real class act. She has an informative web site. Come on out and take a look! Good luck to you!

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
Debbie Lane is below Atlanta. She's a really nice lady. Was Robert Dover's assistant for several years.

TBKate
Feb. 2, 2011, 11:14 PM
I'm from Macon--welcome to the Peach State! MGSHA was a great organization when I was involved with it--should be a good way to make connections. As for tack, go up I-75 to exit 212--Horsetown has a decent English section, and there's a Dover in Atlanta as well as several good independent tack stores.

Valentina_32926
Feb. 3, 2011, 10:34 AM
This barn has really nice people who are knowledgable:

http://www.highpointfarm.org/

dressagebrat
Feb. 4, 2011, 12:15 PM
try Revelryfarmdressage.com

woderful place great people Stephanie is super!

Equibrit
Feb. 4, 2011, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately Revelry and Highpoint are a long haul from Warner Robins.
(about 2 hrs without traffic)

sunnsideup
Nov. 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
New barn that just opened up in that area, Great new Facility!!
www.lakeviewequestrian.com

rabicon
Nov. 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
Yea Cindy t highpoint is great but a long long way to travel for lessons. I think Gigi is also. I don't know much about Macon sorry I'm not much help. Horse town does have some English tack but i go to the one up here and had a bad experience with buying a saddle there, Dover does trials through the mail as well as a lot of internet stores.