PDA

View Full Version : Mark Russell Clinics: Any input?

PeanutButterPony
Feb. 1, 2011, 12:01 PM
I have his Lessons in Lightness book. Has anyone audited or attended a clinic with him? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Kyzteke
Feb. 1, 2011, 02:05 PM
I love that book as well. I'd be interested to hear what other people say, although I doubt he'd be that popular among the current competitive dressage riders.

He is a BIG believer in lightness, where you can actually have contact with the horse without riding the curb and keeping a choke hold on the horse the entire ride. In fact, he thinks you can even have a slight droop in the reins and still have "contact", which I agree with.

I'd love to clinic with him....

kealea31
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:09 AM
His clinics are great. He has helped me a lot with my gelding, who is very difficult (most clinicians won't ride him). Marc has ridden him a few times for me, to demonstrate lateral work with light contact. He makes my horse look amazing. Unfortunately I don't have pictures on this computer, or I would post some. He is a beautiful rider, and I think most of his success with sensitive horses is due to his perfect symmetrical posture, and quietness. He also helped me start my pinto mare when she was 3. He will work with any horse, any age. I have even brought babies to do ground work. He does several clinics per year in my area, and is very reasonably priced - usually $150-175 for an hour and a half.