PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive (or midrange) not-uber-floofy half pads?

SisterToSoreFoot
Jan. 31, 2011, 05:41 PM
My 3 yr old pony needs a simple half pad at this point in his development. My saddle fits fine, but the half pad keeps it from sliding forwards. I've borrowed a friend's and it did the trick. The thing is, I don't need a real thick floofy one, nor do I want to break the bank. What's a cheaper (than Mattes!), yet still good option?

analise
Jan. 31, 2011, 05:44 PM
A Mattes on consignment?

No, seriously, I got mine for $75 basically in like-new condition.

Though...I realize that depends on the tack stores in your vicinity.

Does it need to be wool? I know some folk who use one of those Rambo neoprene half pads (squishy!) and they only cost around $30.

eponacelt
Jan. 31, 2011, 06:25 PM
I have both a Mattes and a Fleeceworks pad. The Fleeceworks pad was definitely less expensive, and has lasted just as long as the Mattes. The difference is that its not at thick as the Mattes (and the shimming options are different because they're both correction pads). If you need something well made, and not too fluffy, Fleeceworks should fit the bill.

The alternative is to get a lower quality Mattes pad. I don't think they sell them in the US, but in Europe, Mattes sells different qualities of fleece pads - something like silver, gold and platinum. Platinum is just about all they sell over here, I think, but you can find the other ones on eBay, which is why they are usually less expensive. The fleece definitely isn't as nice as the really expensive ones, but they still last and work well.

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Jan. 31, 2011, 07:04 PM
I have a Mattes and a ECP. I like the latter better because I can shim it up with these squishy foam insert things that helps with the Pony's wonky back.

buck22
Jan. 31, 2011, 07:34 PM
I bought a centaur on ebay new for under $50 and I am pleasantly surprised with the quality. Its no mattes, but its nice for the $

CDNJumperGirl
Jan. 31, 2011, 08:27 PM
I've had good luck with my Roma pad, inexpensive and well made. Not super floofy like the Mattes pad I had before; it was plush and deluxe but very thick. I used it to solve a similar problem to yours (price, quality, and a specific fit problem). Good luck :)

ArabDiva
Jan. 31, 2011, 09:05 PM
I am seriously in love with my Roma half pad. lovely sheepskin and great craftsmanship--it does not look or feel cheap AT ALL and it's hard to believe i paid only $40 for it. The shape is great too, providing good curvature to accomodate the withers.

I love Roma's other saddle pads too.

BetterOffRed
Jan. 31, 2011, 09:37 PM
Have you tried ebay? There are a couple on there for under $30.

scubed
Feb. 1, 2011, 09:36 AM
Griffin Nuumed all the way. Mine is 10 years old and still in excellent shape.

http://www.nuumed.com/products_numahs1.html