PDA

View Full Version : Define "hot"

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
I took my 4.5 yo to her first weekend away clinic (and she did super well!). Several people commented on how beautiful and um... "hot" she was.:winkgrin: I don't consider her hot at all. She is forward, a little feisty and opinionated, but everything with her is very deliberate, she has a GREAT brain, is not spooky at all. :yes:
To me, "hot" has an element of tension and most likely also spookiness, a horse that gets more agitated, tense and anticipating as it works and needs a soothing rider. Any thoughts?

spirithorse
Jan. 31, 2011, 12:59 PM
I equate 'hot' to being 'fiesty' and I would not want a horse who did not have that fire burning.
Some folks use the term 'hot' to mean a beautiful horse.

alibi_18
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hot and spooky are for me two different things. If your horse had been spooky, they would have said spooky (or maybe wouldn't have said anything! :D)

I believe it was meant as a compliment! Full of good energy, spirited, brave and beautiful! She most have shown good expression! Lucky you!

Was there any breeders at that clinic...maybe some thought their stallion would think your mare is 'hot' too!

JCS
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:28 PM
I also don't equate "hot" with "spooky." A hot horse certainly CAN be spooky, but the two don't have to go hand in hand. Hot to me means forward, up, with energy that may be difficult for a rider to contain. BUT if the rider is tactful and can contain/direct it, it is a good thing. I do tend to think "hot" implies an element of tension as well.

ridealot
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:35 PM
"Hot" to me means energetic with a little zing. I think of this term and also think that is it not a horse that everyone can ride, they need a very attentive rider or someone with experience and patients in case the horse gets overly energetic.

SisterToSoreFoot
Jan. 31, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hot and forward-thinking are sometimes used interchangeably. I tend to think of hot as a bit aggressive, high spirited, and quite naturally forward. Forward thinking, on the other hand, is a milder version, where the horse is bit more even-keeled.

What's hot to one rider is forward to another. I think the fact that your mare looks energetic and exited in her work, but feels solid and good minded under you means she is JUST my kind of horse!!!

Tiger Horse
Jan. 31, 2011, 03:08 PM
And here I was gonna say "Cary Grant"!!! :lol:

I agree with SisterTo Sore Foot - hot - a bit aggressive, high spirited and quite naturally forward.

netg
Jan. 31, 2011, 03:38 PM
I tend to think my horse is "hot" - he probably gallops about 15 miles a week or more on his own. If he doesn't get that chance, he has trouble focusing because his energy level is so high. To me, that's what hot is.

He's sane and not spooky, but hot, and beyond just "forward-thinking." A lot of horses out there who have high energy have someone trying to restrain that energy and making the horse miserable. They become neurotic and are dubbed crazy - but it's not because they're hot; it's because they're a poor match with their living situation.

My old horse was the most forward horse I'd ever ridden, and people who didn't know how to ride him thought he was hot/crazy, but it was just weird because he'd happily stand in one place for *hours* and didn't ever really choose to move unless told to. He was just very responsive to leg, and if you kicked him went as fast as he could until you stopped him with your seat... and didn't stop if you didn't use your seat.

GraceLikeRain
Jan. 31, 2011, 03:56 PM
I would call my mare "hot" but she is sane and not spooky at all. She is the type that can sleep in the crossties, hack out down a road alone, etc, etc but she is very sensitive off the leg and forward thinking. For mine if she is properly ridden up into your hand she is a hard worker and is a fairly simple ride. However, if you get in her face or have an inconsistent leg she gets inverted and upset. I consider a hot horse one who is safe but has a large GO button and needs a specific ride to direct the energy in a positive manner.

SmartAlex
Jan. 31, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hot to me is alert and reactive. Not in a crazy unpredictable way. A hot horse comes out of the barn ready to work and work hard. They notice everything and often have an opinion about it. They have a lot of forward, and the first 20 minutes or so can be a real handful for a rider who is not "present".

My current horse is similar to netg's horse. He keeps himself fit on his own. He goes to turnout with a mission... check the perimeters, and repel all potential invasions. Alert everyone to things out of the ordinary.

I would rate him at least an 8 on the temperment scale. Not a mean bone in his body, but some days I'm tired and worn out before the edge is off him and he's ready to go to work. You don't put a leg over him unless you are ready to ride. No bird watching or cloud shaping.

PeanutButterPony
Jan. 31, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hot is light and eager and fizzy without being stupid. Stupid varies ;) My 'hot' horse is a load of fun to ride, but nothing I would ever remotely call spooky. Yesterday as I was undoing his leg wraps a neighbor randomly started shooting targets. He spooked in place when truly it would have been reasonable to flatten me. He didn't. And he never got spooky- just looked and studied. He notices everything, and he is fearless undersaddle. But he's hot.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 31, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hm, maybe she is hot then! :) She's certainly hot stuff ;) and I wouldn't want her any other way. She's my heart and brain horse all in one!

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 31, 2011, 08:18 PM
Jack russels and border collies are hot
pit bulls and min pins are spooky
does that help?

xrmn002
Jan. 31, 2011, 09:45 PM
I typically differentiated between "hot" and "forward" with hot being more spooky and forward as being willing to work and very forward without being spooky. However, by the definitions above posts, both of my horses are HOT. The difference is that one is extremely hard to deal with one he loses his cool (to me that's hot) but the other is always forward and is only a handful only if you are inconsistent with your legs or get in his face too much. Otherwise he is calm as can be to environmental sounds and can be ridden any time and anywhere safely. Is this still hot?

MelantheLLC
Jan. 31, 2011, 10:00 PM
Like xrmn002, I would tend to think of "hot" as more than just forward, but in addition excitable and overflowing with mental and physical energy that can't readily be contained.

I have a very forward horse that I would not call hot at all. He's very calm and confident but he also prefers to really stride out, even to the point of rushing. But his brain is very chill. Hes not going to explode if he can't go fast, but he might get annoyed.

katie+tru
Jan. 31, 2011, 10:02 PM
A hot horse is one that can/must be ridden on the lighest of aids... unless you like sitting on top of a NASA shuttle. As my trainer says, "I like hot horses because I like to be a lazy rider". You don't have to resort the 'Pony Club leg flap' to make a hot horse go. lol

dwblover
Feb. 1, 2011, 12:10 AM
I think of a hot horse as a sensitive, high energy, very forward horse. Now that energy is not necessarily nervous or unpredictable energy, just energy!:) And when I say a horse is hot I do not mean they are spooky, as my spookiest horses were actually quite lazy, LOL! Usually if the hot horse is allowed to go forward with a quiet rider they are most spectacular!

Catie79
Feb. 1, 2011, 11:06 AM
I'd say my mare is hot. When she's working, she is Working with a capital 'W'. If she's bored, she finds something else to do. Super sensitive, she's one of those that will swap leads if you shift your weight. She's making me into a better rider. She can get a bit tough to handle if she's anticipating something exciting, but she will stand in the middle of the ring with her head down and take a nap when we need to wait for something. She's quite brave, she helped me set out the big blue tarp the last time I decided to work in hand. The other horses are trying the climb the walls to get away from the giant, blue, pony eating monster and she's nosing it and tugging it around. Less then helpful, but not scared.

It's a fine line between hot and crazy, and a lot of it has to do with rider perception. I think my mare is very sane and safe, I'm never scared of her. I seem to be in the minority. There is not a mean bone in her body and she doesn't lose her mind. She just knows what we're going to do, and since she already knows, she does not need me directing her, thank you ever so much. With a frightened rider trying to throttle her back all the time, yes, she would be crazy. Warm her up on the buckle with a big trot for five or ten minutes and she's ready to get to work and work hard. It's just a matter of tact, like many others have already said.

I consider hot to be a desirable trait and a compliment. I don't want to kick and cajole, I want to ask and get a response. I guess I'm a lazy rider, too. :)

KateKat
Feb. 1, 2011, 01:50 PM
I would call my mare "hot" but she is sane and not spooky at all. She is the type that can sleep in the crossties, hack out down a road alone, etc, etc but she is very sensitive off the leg and forward thinking. For mine if she is properly ridden up into your hand she is a hard worker and is a fairly simple ride. However, if you get in her face or have an inconsistent leg she gets inverted and upset. I consider a hot horse one who is safe but has a large GO button and needs a specific ride to direct the energy in a positive manner.

OMG, are you riding my horse? ;) Because that pretty much describes mine to a tee. Except she will startle if a bird flies up in her face and really doesn't like cows (if they're laying down, fine. But if one stands up in her presence, forget it) so she does have a little bit of spook in her. Nothing like the TB I used to ride though, who would spook at his own shadow.

But I feel totally safe on her-nothing she does is out of malice and any mistakes that are made 99% of the time is rider error. I feel like a hot horse is one who is like a ticking time bomb, ready to explode and would let that get the better of their judgement. Requires a very sensitive, tactful ride. So while some may consider my girl hot, I think she is just very forward!

Velvet
Feb. 1, 2011, 01:57 PM
Like xrmn002, I would tend to think of "hot" as more than just forward, but in addition excitable and overflowing with mental and physical energy that can't readily be contained.

I have a very forward horse that I would not call hot at all. He's very calm and confident but he also prefers to really stride out, even to the point of rushing. But his brain is very chill. Hes not going to explode if he can't go fast, but he might get annoyed.

Being a TB lover, this is also how I define "hot."

A forward horse is different than "hot."

JMurray
Feb. 1, 2011, 02:02 PM
"Hot" to me means reactive, an extrovert and awake. Another word that comes to mind is "spicey". Often highly intelligent with "high Play" instincts. They are always on and ready to work.

"crazy" is not "hot" and "hot" is not crazy. But IMHO Hot is not for the average amateur.

I have one laid back horse and one "hot" horse. The "hot" horse is easier to ride and a lot more fun.

netg
Feb. 2, 2011, 11:21 AM
"Hot" to me means reactive, an extrovert and awake. Another word that comes to mind is "spicey". Often highly intelligent with "high Play" instincts. They are always on and ready to work.

"crazy" is not "hot" and "hot" is not crazy. But IMHO Hot is not for the average amateur.

I have one laid back horse and one "hot" horse. The "hot" horse is easier to ride and a lot more fun.

Yep, I agree with this.

My hot horse feels like cheating to me, and has since I got him. Yes, he wasn't even ready for training level when I got him (by my standards... was scoring equivalent of high 60s in his dressage at 1st level-ish in eventing), but I have felt as if I was cheating by buying a horse so easy for me to ride and get to do what I want. As long as he gets turnout time and a chance to run his miles, he is ON, and learns faster and more willingly than any horse I've worked with. Once he figures something out, I have to keep him from overdoing it, rather than trying to get him to keep doing it.

saltheart
Feb. 2, 2011, 02:25 PM
These responses are interesting to me. I've always (30+ years) considered a "hot" horse to be one that is likely to explode under you at the drop of a hat - bucking, bolting, etc. NOT a fun horse to ride.

A light, forward horse doesn't even sound "hot" to me, but rather a well trained, pleasant ride. Hot carries with it some negative connotations. I think sensitive, or forward are much better descriptions of energetic horses than hot.

Just MHO,
Salty

Perfect Pony
Feb. 2, 2011, 02:45 PM
These responses are interesting to me. I've always (30+ years) considered a "hot" horse to be one that is likely to explode under you at the drop of a hat - bucking, bolting, etc. NOT a fun horse to ride.

A light, forward horse doesn't even sound "hot" to me, but rather a well trained, pleasant ride. Hot carries with it some negative connotations. I think sensitive, or forward are much better descriptions of energetic horses than hot.

Just MHO,
Salty

Agreed. In my world sensitive to the aids and forward is fun. Hot generally is not all that fun anymore. Hot horses for me have been ones that are likely to blow a fuse rather than try to figure out what you are asking.

A truly "hot" horse IMO is way more exhausting to ride than one you have to kick.

Hobbs
Feb. 2, 2011, 02:57 PM
To me hot means temperamental, and unpredictable with excess energy. Whereas a forward horse moves well off the leg and is generally cooperative.

netg
Feb. 2, 2011, 04:43 PM

Just MHO,
Salty

But energetic is not the same as forward, and sensitive isn't the same as either of them.

Hot is generally a really bad thing for anyone but a very quiet, mellow, calm rider - with the right feeding program and enough turnout.

Dry Clean Only
Feb. 2, 2011, 07:12 PM
A hot horse is one that can/must be ridden on the lighest of aids... unless you like sitting on top of a NASA shuttle. As my trainer says, "I like hot horses because I like to be a lazy rider". You don't have to resort the 'Pony Club leg flap' to make a hot horse go. lol

I have to disagree with light aids part of this statement, unless you mean tactful. I have been taught that the answer to a horse is more leg and more forward. They benefit from strong supportive aids, otherwise you get a tight back and false connection.

EasyStreet
Feb. 2, 2011, 07:54 PM
The horse you described in your OP is exactly what I heard Conrad Schumacker say he liked and looked for in a young horse. He said that by the time they settle into training a bit more you have a much better horse!!!Good luck with her!!

Vesper Sparrow
Feb. 2, 2011, 08:46 PM
For me, a excitable horse with lots of energy and enthusiasm. My 27 year old TB mare is still hot (in addition to being sensitive and opinionated), although she's good as gold. She reminds me of one of those people who cannot sit still, who is always fidgeting and moving about.

She's not really spooky but is quite looky. She'll be the only horse still blowing 15 minutes after she goes into the indoor. She can be very jiggy on the trail. When we went fox hunting, she was the worst horse there for fidgeting at the checks, although she was the oldest horse there. And she gets very excited jumping from anything faster than a trot, and a quiet hack out on the cross country course is not possible, because she gets excited about the thought of jumping.

She seems to like dressage, because it is a way she can relax.

katie+tru
Feb. 2, 2011, 08:53 PM

My school of thought is hot =/= explosive because explosiveness (unless due to being stalled for a long time or fed too much grain) like bucking and bolting is A. a lack of training and/or B. a rider who does not punish the horse's misbehavior and it becomes a habitual thing. Hottness is something a horse is born with; it's like a personality type. Hot horses aren't maliciously trying to unseat their riders. Lazy horses can be explosive to order to get out of doing further work.

Pocket Pony
Feb. 2, 2011, 09:12 PM

Just MHO,
Salty

I agree with Salty - to me a hot horse is an explosive and reactive horse. Paddy *can be* hot under the right circumstances, but generally he's very easy to work with and when he's forward he's fun and light and expressive. But to me hot and forward aren't necessarily the same thing.

Valentina_32926
Feb. 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
My mare sounds like yours - I'd call her "capable of being sensitive" (or not :lol:) but not hot, as I think of hot as a bit out of control.

But if I wasn't a very good rider then she might intimidate me and then I'd call her hot - although she doesn't spook under saddle (normally), nor does she bolt/rear/etc... she can be ridden on a long rein in W/T/C and listens well (when she's on Regumate). :eek:

She can also be trail ridden - but I'd for certain not want a poor rider on her although she's never been dangerous.

MysticOakRanch
Feb. 3, 2011, 11:06 AM
My initial thought is George Clooney...

But with horses - I think of highly reactive. That isn't always a BAD thing. Many top riders love highly reactive horses. Most mid quality (and less then mid-quality) riders are overhorsed by those horses. I work with two very competent trainers - they love hot, reactive types. Most of their students don't:lol:

I like "warm" - not quite as reactive, a bit more forgiving, yet still forward and energetic. So, in my eyes, hot is good for some riders, not for others. How's that for a firm commitment? Oh, I still stand by my initial definition - George Clooney!