PDA

View Full Version : Bit question (legality) and the USEF site not working

TheJenners
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:09 PM
Probably the site is down or my computer is being retarded, but whenever I try to pull up the PDF, I get a nice black screen and a prompt that states the operation was stopped.

I'm trying to find a bit for my fiance's mare, who has a scarred tongue from where it was cut as a baby, before he got her, and it healed oddly.

Yes, I posted about this before (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258088), but now she's staying here for most of 2011 and I'm going to take her to some shows (dressage and/or hunter (flat only)), and I need see if these options I was given are legal? Especially the Myler no. 33 that was mentioned?? I've been riding her in a short jumping hackamore, now I just need a legal option.

Velvet
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:29 PM
The Dee or the Shank #33?

TheJenners
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:41 PM
The Dee. I didn't know there was a shanked version. I am Myler ignorant. :)

ddashaq
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:42 PM
I can only get the USEF site PDFs to work if I am using Internet Explorer. For some reason, I always get the blank screen and stopped message if I am using Firefox, so maybe that was your issue?:)

CHT
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
Are you talking about a ported snaffle? I am quite sure that those are not allowed in dressage competition.

If you are looking for something to be gentle on the tongue, perhaps a K Ultra would be the kindest legal bit.

alibi_18
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:57 PM
USEF dressage rules : http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2011/08-DR.pdf

USEF hunter rules : http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2010/16-HU.pdf

Maybe you'll be lucky if you have the direct link?

The Myler no. 33, with no matter what 'sides', won't be legal in dressage.
If its a D bit or Eggbutt or Loose-rind it could be ok for the hunter ring.

2. Bitless bridles are not permitted in the hunter ring.
3. Bridle: The bridle may be double, pelham, single (snaffle) or kimberwick. It
must be leather (not rubber covered), rolled or plain and may be buckled,
sewn or studded (not snapped).
4. Bits: All bits must be humane in nature. Snaffle bits may be with or without
cheeks. Wire snaffle bits, either single or double are permissible. It is permissible to use a snaffle with fixed slots for cheek pieces and/or reins. Bit
guards are not permissible.
5. Gimmicks: Any gimmicks (e.g. nerve lines, tongue ties, gag bits, any bit that
acts as a gag, tack nose bands etc.) are illegal. Nose nets are permissible.

TheJenners
Jan. 31, 2011, 02:16 PM
alibi, no luck, probably because I use Firefox and refuse to use IE. Too buggy.

So in that quote...can you point out where it says a bit like the Myler 33 is illegal? Is it considered a gimmick bit? Is it because of the port, or because of the roller thing in the middle, or what? I've never shown in anything other than a regular ole D, so I'm floundering here trying to keep her comfortable. TIA.

TheJenners
Jan. 31, 2011, 02:18 PM
Wait, I re-read. That quote is for hunters. What about dressage, what part of the bit makes it illegal?

alibi_18
Jan. 31, 2011, 02:58 PM
Wait, I re-read. That quote is for hunters. What about dressage, what part of the bit makes it illegal?

For dressage the D-bit part is legal but not the 'ported' Myler .#33

All bits (in A and B below) must be smooth and with a solid surface. Twisted, wire and roller bits are prohibited. A bushing or coupling is permitted as the center link in a double jointed snaffle, however, the surface of the center piece must be solid with no moveable parts.
The mouthpiece of a snaffle may be shaped in a slight curve, but ported snaffles are prohibited.
A bridoon is defined as a snaffle bit used together with a curb bit to form a double bridle. Bits (including curb and/or bridoon bits of a double bridle) must be made of metal or rigid plastic and may be covered with rubber (in manufactured state); flexible rubber bits are not permitted, except as noted below, under A. The diameter of the snaffle or bridoon mouthpiece must be minimum 10 mm diameter at rings or cheeks of the mouthpiece (exception: for ponies, the diameter may be less than 10 mm). The diameter of the curb mouthpiece must be minimum 12 mm at the cheeks of the mouthpiece.
Snaffles used in Young Horse classes must have a minimum diameter of 14 mm. Any bit combining any mouthpiece pictured in Figure 1A with any cheekpiece pictured in Figure 1A is permitted. Type of bit should not vary from those pictured below except where specified, and bits should be attached only as pictured in diagram. NOTE: FEI Level riders may
warm up only in a double bridle (with both bit and/or bridoon made of metal or rigid plastic) or metal or rigid plastic snaffles pictured under B. In both cases, bits may be covered with rubber (in manufactured state) and and flexible rubber bits are not permitted. A cavesson, dropped, crossed or flash noseband is allowed when a snaffle bridle is used in warmup or competition, except as prohibited for some tests.
DR26 © USEF 2011
DR-

Too bad you can't see the pictures.
You can always send a picture of your bit to your association and ask them if it is legal or not.

Equi88
Jan. 31, 2011, 03:28 PM
Only Myler bit allowed in Dressage is the comfort snaffle!

Velvet
Jan. 31, 2011, 03:31 PM
Yep, ported snaffles are not legal.

TheJenners
Jan. 31, 2011, 03:36 PM
Boo. So maybe flat classes at hunter schooling shows only. What about a french link? Less of a nutcracker affect on the tongue? It looks like maybe it is?

A bushing or coupling is permitted as the center link in a double jointed snaffle, however, the surface of the center piece must be solid with no moveable parts.

Janet
Jan. 31, 2011, 05:10 PM
USEF dressage rules : http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2011/08-DR.pdf

USEF hunter rules : http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2010/16-HU.pdf

Maybe you'll be lucky if you have the direct link?

Quote:
2. Bitless bridles are not permitted in the hunter ring.
3. Bridle: The bridle may be double, pelham, single (snaffle) or kimberwick. It
must be leather (not rubber covered), rolled or plain and may be buckled,
sewn or studded (not snapped).
4. Bits: All bits must be humane in nature. Snaffle bits may be with or without
cheeks. Wire snaffle bits, either single or double are permissible. It is permissible to use a snaffle with fixed slots for cheek pieces and/or reins. Bit
guards are not permissible.
5. Gimmicks: Any gimmicks (e.g. nerve lines, tongue ties, gag bits, any bit that
acts as a gag, tack nose bands etc.) are illegal. Nose nets are permissible.

First, I am not sure why you are pointing to the 2010 Hunter rules and the 2011 Dressage rules.

Second, and more importantly, the text you quote (starting "bitless bridles are not permitted in the hunter ring") is not in either the 2010 or 2011 USEF Hunter rules.

Can you tell me where it came from?

Janet
Jan. 31, 2011, 05:12 PM
Boo. So maybe flat classes at hunter schooling shows only. What about a french link? Less of a nutcracker affect on the tongue? It looks like maybe it is?
French links are not only legal, but probably the most commonly used bit for dressage.

TheJenners
Jan. 31, 2011, 05:27 PM
Janet, you're the rule queen, I swear. Thank you.

gnu
Jan. 31, 2011, 09:19 PM
I was under the impression that the Myler mullen, MB 32, is legal. It's a smooth mullen w/ a bushing.

Char0308
Feb. 1, 2011, 11:17 AM
I have not been able to get a straight answer from several different contacts at USEF and local TDs via email about whether the Myler MB32 Mullen Mouth bit is legal. All contacts say they need to see bit in person to tell if its legal or not. So if anyone finds out for sure that MB32 Myler is Legal for dressage please post here. Thanks