PDA

View Full Version : Have you received a surprise lately?

luchiamae
Jan. 30, 2011, 09:51 PM
Just wondering if anyone has received a surprise from their horse lately, good or bad.

Mine happened yesterday, working around the jumps down the bottom of the property as a change of scenery and my “never bucks” horse, bucked me off. I’m going to chalk it off as a “I’m feeling very fresh and you DID ask me to work deeper!!”

So, what about you?

dghunter
Jan. 30, 2011, 09:58 PM
I've been having problems with the canter. Even trainer says he has a very "rough" canter so to speak, as in he can easily bump you out of position without you realizing it. Yesterday in our lesson we were working on walk-canter transitions and all of the sudden the feeling of the canter just clicked :D We couldn't keep it for more than a few strides but how nice to be able to feel what his "real" canter should feel like!

netg
Jan. 31, 2011, 02:16 PM
I've never had a horse who could lengthen before, so I'm trying to figure it out with my guy. He can lengthen with my trainer, so I know it's there... recently, it just clicked - I half halted into the corner before lengthening, asked him to use his hind end, and coming out of the corner he reached forward while lifting in front of his withers, and almost forgot to touch the ground as we crossed the arena. A few days later the arena had just been worked on and I found a smooth spot to go across - checked hoofprints, and the ones where he felt best had about a foot between hoofprints :eek: This from the horse who barely tracks up at a normal trot, so I appreciated it!

Negative surprises are his recent tendency to rear and leap forward/kick out. When he lands he then jerks his head back and up to go up again, so I have gotten a black eye. However, we've been getting many things checked because something isn't 100% right with him - no crankiness, but just a slight reduction in his willingness and stiffness atypical for him... chiro is out today, and I have a hunch it's a tmj issue, and that behavior can be a symptom of it.

analise
Jan. 31, 2011, 04:12 PM
Uh, the "nice" sort? A bit over a week ago, we were riding and did some canters on a ~20 meter circle and he gave me the nicest-feeling canter I've ever felt on him. Just...controlled and forward and uphill-feeling. I wish someone had been around to witness it! ;)

Not so nice. Same horse comes in for breakfast on Saturday looking gimpy with a cut on his leg and acting like it might kill him (and ruining any plans I had for riding that weekend so Pony just got treats and scritches from me).Thankfully, he was mostly being a drama queen and BM has informed me today that he wasn't gimpy at all.