PDA

View Full Version : You know you're dressage-obsessed when...

TheHorseProblem
Jan. 29, 2011, 05:14 PM
...The Safety Dance comes on the car radio and you start rocking side to side doing two tempis in your car a la Steffan Peters on Ravel.

Bogey2
Jan. 29, 2011, 07:44 PM
:lol:
and you half-halt your truck going around a turn

GimmeQs
Jan. 29, 2011, 08:54 PM
LOL! Somebody should make a Safety Dance parody to a dressage test. "H-h-h-h X-x-x-x F-f-f-f A-a-a-a K-k-k-k"

inca
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:34 PM
I LOVE that song (and did when it first came out.) But now I do think of Ravel's freestyle every time I hear it! :-)

EasyStreet
Jan. 30, 2011, 10:35 PM
..When sitting anywhere like passenger seat of the car or a waiting room chair, I push my purse off my lap down the front of my shins and hold the strap like reins between pinky and ring finger and over the index finger held down by the thumb. It feels just like contact with the horse and I practice changing flection and the half halt! My daughter threatens to put me out on the side of the road when she catches me doing it in her car!!!:lol::lol:

TheHorseProblem
Jan. 31, 2011, 12:58 PM
..When sitting anywhere like passenger seat of the car or a waiting room chair, I push my purse off my lap down the front of my shins and hold the strap like reins between pinky and ring finger and over the index finger held down by the thumb. It feels just like contact with the horse and I practice changing flection and the half halt! My daughter threatens to put me out on the side of the road when she catches me doing it in her car!!!:lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

When we first got our dog, Greta, I said to my husband, "She has a lot of suspension in her trot."

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:40 PM
You have a dressage arena graphic pinned above your desk at work, one on your fridge, and use one as a bookmark in your current reading materials (which are mainly Dressage Today and the Training Book du jour ).

You assess the gaits and conformation of everything that moves in front of you for suitability in dressage (dogs with a particularly nice trot, people that toe out or drop one hip/shoulder significantly etc...).

If someone asks you what exactly dressage is, you have a well thought out answer ready and you don't care if their eyes glaze over after the part where you say "it does not involve jumps"...

You check COTH and EuroDressage before you check the local news every morning.

After a break-through lesson, you tell everyone you meet about what a difference it made to put your outside leg on etc. and how fantastic the feeling was, even if people have no clue what you're talking about.

You worry more about teaching your horse a bad habit than looking like a fool if something doesn't go right.

A glimpse of total throughness and self carriage is worth more to you than any other of your accomplishments.

etc. etc. etc. (Any questions on whether I'm obsessed with this sport/art/pursuit of perfection by the eternally imperfect???)

suzier444
Jan. 31, 2011, 07:18 PM
I am ALWAYS trying to use my seat to influence my car. Never works.

Luvthespots
Feb. 1, 2011, 12:47 AM
This isn't an example specific to dressage but...

I did not start riding until I was an adult. I was dating a guy at the time and found myself exclaiming "Good Boy!" whenever he did something I liked. At first it was an accident but then after him yelling "I'm not a d*** horse" I started doing it on purpose. That relationship did not last long.

Huh.

TheHorseProblem
Feb. 1, 2011, 01:17 PM
I am ALWAYS trying to use my seat to influence my car. Never works.

This morning on the way to work I practiced keeping my outside shoulder back on the turns and that really kept my car from falling in.

I didn't say "good boy," but I do sometimes pat my dash when my car gets me where I need to go on a rainy day.

xrmn002
Feb. 1, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hmmm- it's scary really. I guess you may know you're obsessed when you...

Think of freestyle movements along with the radio...

Do without new clothes for saddle pads or pikeur breeches...

Think of your raises at work in terms of being able to afford another horse...

Scan this board and dressage daily's sale ads for 30 seconds several times a day when you have free time at work...

Replay rides in your head to help understand/reinforce what went wrong/well...

Can insert riding into EVERY conversation with non-horsey friends and/or coworkers...

Practice sitting evenly on both seatbones in your chair in hopes of improving your position...

Ignore/avoid your non-horsey friends because they don't understand why it is such a BIG deal when you finally get your horse bend to the left or can sit that big mover's trot....etc. etc. etc.

mackandblues
Feb. 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
making sure to do inside leg to outside rein while driving on a curve

have a stack of dressage/training books next to your bed

analyze my cat's movement - love how she rocks back onto her hindquarters before she springs/leaps

check out your horses butt to admire the muscle definition that wasnt there 5 months ago