View Full Version : Best Dressage Book?

Jan. 29, 2011, 03:34 PM
So, while cleaning today I ran across a $50 gift card for Barnes and Noble. I have to order a physical book because they won't let me have eBooks since I'm not in the US right now :( So... What is the best dressage philosophy/training book?

Jan. 29, 2011, 03:43 PM

IMHO this is the best book out there!!!

Jan. 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
^^^^^ Hahaha I think that's the only dressage book I've actually read so far! :lol:

Jan. 29, 2011, 03:51 PM
I like The Simplicity of Dressage. :)

But that's because I like the pictures...:o

Jan. 29, 2011, 04:08 PM
Waldemar Seunig- Horsemanship

Jan. 29, 2011, 04:33 PM
A lot depends on what you already know. Seunig's book is great but it's a lot to slog through, wherever you are in your riding career. That said, it is definitely one to put on your bookshelf.

I must have 500 books on dressage but this one seems to distill a lot of real world, useful nuts and bolts information about riding: "A Classical Riding Notebook" by Michael J. Stevens. It's filled with little gold nuggets of useful information that you don't have to read, and read, and read to find. It reads something like a very comprehensive clinic report. Read a page and experience a light bulb moment and go out and try it on your horse. Yes, it's very good.

Edited to add: goes from basics: putting horses on the aids, balance, lateral work, up to flying changes & tempi changes, canter pirouette, piaffe & passage.

There's definitely something for everyone at all stages in training.

Not only for riders, but training young horses from initial training through 2nd, 3rd years, etc., progressing them through the levels.

Jan. 29, 2011, 04:41 PM
I guess a lil background info would help: I'm a 3rd/4th level 26yo adult ammy that is leasing a Intermediare schoolmaster and taking lessons with a well qualified GP rider/trainer in Germany. So not a beginner but someone that is constantly humbled!!!

Has anyone read this one? http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Dressage-Masters/David-Collins/e/9781592286744/

Jan. 29, 2011, 07:19 PM
I haven't read that one , but I did read Klaus Balkenhol's The Man and His Training method and that was not very helpful.

I skimmed through the titles that Barnes and noble had and these are the ones I would recommend

Ride HOrses with awareness and feel -tineke bartels
dressage with kyra-kyra kyrklund
the simplicity of dressage - johann hinnemann
advance techniques of dressage - german national equestrian federation

Jan. 29, 2011, 07:24 PM
The Essential by Paul Belasik
it's 3 of his books in one hardback.
The man's words changed my life I kid you not. He's my Ghandi :winkgrin:

Elegante E
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:09 PM
They list De Kunffy and Kottas, both pretty good. Kunffy is a good writer so explains things quite well.

I like PK: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Art-of-Riding/Philippe-Karl/e/9783861279747/?itm=48&USRI=dressage

Podhajsky is one of my very favorites so any of his books: http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=BOOK&WRD=podhajsky&box=podhajsky&pos=-1&ugrp=1

Jan. 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
I liked 101 Dressage Exercises....keep you going for months and months and months!