PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay to have your saddle flocked

dalpal
Jan. 29, 2011, 08:23 AM
I'm just trying to get an idea of what the average charge is for a professional to come and reflock your saddle (with wool). Not including the trip charge.

Thanks.

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:02 AM
for flocking adjustments (adding or subtracting wool, and distributing for the right fit) costs me $100

jn4jenny
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
I'm paying $150 all-in today for a complete reflock, meaning all old wool comes out and all new wool goes in. That includes the call fee, the reflock on site with access to the horse to guide the reflock, complimentary wither tracings, and watching me ride after the reflock to facilitate last-minute tweaks.

But I gather that's on the very low end since this particular fitter has booked a ton of clients in my area and is splitting her gas costs among all of us.

allpurpose
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
$100 - $125 in SE Michigan.

Bogie
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:19 AM
I have never had a complete re-flock but my 2x/year refitting fees are usually $75-$125 depending on what needs to be done.

Catmando
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
jn4Jenny...you sure its a total re-flock? In order to do that, the panels must be dropped and seperated from the saddle, old wool removed, new wool put in and then the panels resewn on front and back. It would take an experienced saddler a couple hours and then theres the chance that the panels were not pulled up straight the first time and that must also be corrected.

TarheelJD
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:53 AM
......the panels must be dropped and seperated from the saddle, old wool removed, new wool put in and then the panels resewn on front and back. It would take an experienced saddler a couple hours......

This was the process my Stubben went through in November, and the total cost (which I guess included some trip time) was $325.

joiedevie99
Jan. 29, 2011, 11:35 AM
$115 for an adjustment- never had a complete reflock.

cyberbay
Jan. 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hope to not hijack thread, but does anyone have any names to get a saddle reflocked in New York - New England area?

IdahoRider
Jan. 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
I paid $100 here in the Boise area. The wool was removed and replaced, with each adjustment coming after she had seen it on my horse, being ridden in by me. I hauled him to the show grounds and all the work was done right there (it was warm-up day, and we had gotten permission from the show management to be there).
Sheilah

jn4jenny
Jan. 29, 2011, 12:42 PM
jn4Jenny...you sure its a total re-flock? In order to do that, the panels must be dropped and seperated from the saddle, old wool removed, new wool put in and then the panels resewn on front and back. It would take an experienced saddler a couple hours and then theres the chance that the panels were not pulled up straight the first time and that must also be corrected.

I'm aware of what a reflock entails and yes, it is a full reflock with panel drop. She's very highly qualified (Society of Master Saddlers etc.) and comes with references from others who have had this done.

That said, your post does make an important point--whenever you're offered an on-site reflock, find out if it's a panel drop or what I call the "liposuction method" where they poke a hole in your panel. It's usually the lipo method.

MysticOakRanch
Jan. 29, 2011, 03:04 PM
Wow, alot of the fitters in California charge more then that just for the "travel charge":eek: It's cost me more then $250 the last few times - and that was splitting travel charge...

joiedevie99
Jan. 29, 2011, 03:40 PM
Cyberbay - Tracie Montgomery is my fitter- and she's fabulous. She covers NY, CT, MA and RI. She is a rep for Custom Saddlery but will work on other brands. Here's her website: http://www.hudsonvalleysaddler.com/

TBrescue
Jan. 29, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hope to not hijack thread, but does anyone have any names to get a saddle reflocked in New York - New England area?

Do you want them to come to your barn or do you want to send them your saddle?

I have sent Patty Barnett my saddle to do work, and I have also used Janie @ Pelham Saddlery to come fit a saddle to my horse.

I am in Central MA, Patty is in CT, Janie is in Southern NH. PM me if you want contact info

chryssilynn
Jan. 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
California (Bay Area) $225 for a flocking adjustment, $350 for a reflock. In both cases, panels are dropped from the saddle, and it does take several hours and is not done on site unless it's at a horse show where they can have all their "stuff".

PiaffePlease
Jan. 29, 2011, 11:06 PM
I had mine done a year ago for $150. No trip charge because her Dad came to pick it up. He lived in the same town, and she picked it up from him. She did a great job. It was totally reflocked. Her fee included a 2 month "tune up" when the wool settled. I believe we are from the same area, Dalpal.

sadlmakr
Jan. 30, 2011, 12:09 AM
To drop the panels and add flock and re-sew the panels runs about $150.
To pull out all the flocking and reflock it, is about $275 to $300.
Unless the saddle is old and the flocking is packed hard as a rock it is not a good thing to pull it all out. It will pack somewhat and make a face that is smooth. The added flock is added from the top or the side next to the saddle. The face of it that goes next to the horse is not disturbed. No lumps and bumps that way.
If the saddle is in good shape and just needs adjusting, flock can be added to raise the back or snug up the fit.
Search for a good qualified saddler. Get references. You would not believe the jobs I have had to re-do that someone else did, who didn't know what they were doing.
Make sure they use real wool. It is the best fiber for resilience there is.
Don't let them use fiberfill from Walmart. Yes I did get saddles with Fiber Fill in it.
If you have a foam and felt panel under the saddle, felt can be added to shim it up. But to have it all removed and redone in wool flock is very costly.
I work in Northern California but as to other areas, I am interested also.
JMHO
sadlmakr

JRG
Jan. 30, 2011, 08:27 AM
I just had mine done yesterday, farm call will change depending on where you are but the refit and flock was around $125 + farm call.

dalpal
Jan. 30, 2011, 08:28 AM
I had mine done a year ago for $150. No trip charge because her Dad came to pick it up. He lived in the same town, and she picked it up from him. She did a great job. It was totally reflocked. Her fee included a 2 month "tune up" when the wool settled. I believe we are from the same area, Dalpal.

We are. :D I just wanted to double check the quote I was given before scheduling an appointment. It seems to be in line with what you guys are telling me.

dalpal
Jan. 30, 2011, 08:32 AM
To drop the panels and add flock and re-sew the panels runs about $150.
To pull out all the flocking and reflock it, is about $275 to $300.
Unless the saddle is old and the flocking is packed hard as a rock it is not a good thing to pull it all out. It will pack somewhat and make a face that is smooth. The added flock is added from the top or the side next to the saddle. The face of it that goes next to the horse is not disturbed. No lumps and bumps that way.
If the saddle is in good shape and just needs adjusting, flock can be added to raise the back or snug up the fit.
Search for a good qualified saddler. Get references. You would not believe the jobs I have had to re-do that someone else did, who didn't know what they were doing.
Make sure they use real wool. It is the best fiber for resilience there is.
Don't let them use fiberfill from Walmart. Yes I did get saddles with Fiber Fill in it.
If you have a foam and felt panel under the saddle, felt can be added to shim it up. But to have it all removed and redone in wool flock is very costly.
I work in Northern California but as to other areas, I am interested also.
JMHO
sadlmakr

Good info and good advice. This person is the best fitter in our area that is willing to travel.

I have an older Baines..it is in good shape, doesn't feel hard...but the cantle is sitting low, thus throwing me off balance. I've been riding in my jumping saddle because I feel better balanced in it, than I do the dressage saddle. I'm hoping it's just a flocking issue and I don't have to start saving for yet, another saddle.

kinnip
Jan. 30, 2011, 12:18 PM
Wow. Evidently I need to relocate. I paid $375 to have my Passier reflocked. About three weeks after the followup visit for adjustments, it was utterly deflated. I can pinch the panels. I have a Neidersuss that could use a reflock now, but I'm hesitant. I can't pay that much just to find myself with a mostly useless saddle. Only one followup visit was included in the cost.