PDA

View Full Version : Hardest wearing riding gloves?

Pony Fixer
Jan. 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
I only ride one horse a day, so why can't I get more than 3 months out of a pair of gloves? I'm not a "heavy handed" rider, and my horse is not a puller--figure normal riding, mostly in the ring.

I've bought "string" type gloves for years for schooling, because they are lightweight and cheaper since I go through them so quickly.

When I was at the WEG, I bought a pair of these:
http://www.ssgridinggloves.com/style-4200-ssg-hybrid
And LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Great feel, light, perfect brown to match my schooling boots...and today I noticed that there is a hole in the left thumb tip. Sigh. Given the weather (ie, sporadic riding), the 4 months these lasted is probably the same as a fairer weather 3 months in the saddle.

I don't like thick or coarse-feeling gloves, so am I stuck buying 4 pair a year? What do you wear, especially those that ride multiple horses/day?

alg0181
Jan. 28, 2011, 06:58 PM
I have 2 pair, the string type gloves and some black fabric ones with the grippy pebbly texture (you know, the $10 at the feed store ones).

I ride several horses but I don't always wear my gloves.

But I've never had a pair of gloves wear out (unless you count horses eating them). Are your nails long? I keep mine clipped really short, so maybe that's why I don't wear through them.

nhwr
Jan. 28, 2011, 07:11 PM
I ride in these gloves (http://cgi.ebay.com/Saranac-Tackified-Youth-Football-Receiver-Gloves-/180615795398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0d8a52c6#ht_2201wt_1090).

They breathe, are a bit sticky and last. I like the price too. Near the end of football season, you can often find them for $5/pair at local sporting goods stores.

Pony Fixer
Jan. 28, 2011, 07:36 PM
alg0181--I meant to write that my nails are not long, I also like them short.

nhwr--are those bulky? They look a bit thick, otherwise I am intrigued...

TBrescue
Jan. 28, 2011, 07:46 PM
I ride in these:

http://www.amazon.com/SSG-All-Weather-Gloves-Horseshoe/dp/B000OKR0ZE

I have one pair that is 4 years old, another is 3 and the third pair is 2. They go in the washing machine and wear like iron!
I keep one pair just for show, and rotate the other 2 pairs though they are not warm enough for real winter riding, so when it is below freezing I have to wear winter gloves.

Vesper Sparrow
Jan. 28, 2011, 07:48 PM
Ditto for the SSG All-Weather. I lose them long before they wear out.

GallantGesture
Jan. 28, 2011, 08:01 PM
I also love the SSG All-Weather gloves. They are washable and very durable, but also thin enough that I can still feel my reins. I have worn through them, but it takes me quite a long time, even riding multiple horses a day.

Equi88
Jan. 28, 2011, 08:14 PM
The SSG- Digital's!!! Thin and comphy like the Roeckels Chester, but tough!!! Had mine for 1 season (I ride about 3 horses, 6 days a week) and they still are like new :yes:

Showbizz
Jan. 28, 2011, 08:30 PM
For 3-4 years, I tried every glove out there. Every. Single. One. I went through a pair a month regardless of how much I spent. So I started purchasing string gloves for everything but winter. In the winter I buy SSG Work n Horse gloves.

I have relocated, and this summer went into a new tack store. I told her my dilemma with gloves. She suggested an SSG product (Digital? I don't think so but if it isn't it's similar) and they wore for 3-4 months! I am on pair number 2 since July. I'm thrilled!

I, too, keep my nails short but I wear gloves for nearly everything and I ride several horses a day.

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 28, 2011, 08:36 PM
Pony Fixer, you must not have spoken to the SSG rep while at BoB at WEG. He hooked me up with SSG digitals and let me tell you they are where it's at!
Since October I've ridden 3 horses a day, 5 days a week in these gloves, and ya hit em with a hose and they still look new!

SSG Digital :yes:

Kementari
Jan. 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
I love the SSG All-Weathers in a way that anyone other than a horse person would consider somewhat abnormal. :lol:

My first pair lasted four years (every spring/summer/fall ride, though generally not multiple horses per day). I just bought my second pair at WEG. (Well, third pair, because I had black ones that were just for shows, but they got eaten by the Show Gear Monster. :() I told SSG guy that they were the Best Gloves Ever, too. :winkgrin: Actually, I sewed up the two little holes in the first pair and still use them occasionally for lunging, and ride in the new(er) ones. :yes:

hoopoe
Jan. 28, 2011, 09:15 PM
Deerskin batters ( baseball) gloves

you can even get tackified ones

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 28, 2011, 09:54 PM
I own the all weathers too. Three pairs of them, all with holes :lol: I keep them around for lunging, or handling new horses that may have skin crud

mickeydoodle
Jan. 28, 2011, 10:46 PM
make sure the gloves are a little big for your hand- they last longer if they are not tight (the fine stitching on those teeny little seams wears out very qickly)

I am always hot and sweat during riding no matter what the air temp. I bought three pairs of the Ariat mesh backed gloves (don't remember the name, but very light weight, about $25) and love them. I wear a size 7 glove in regular gloves, I bought these in an 8 and they wear really well. Every time I buy my "real" size in gloves they last 4-5 weeks riding one horse.

nhwr
Jan. 28, 2011, 11:26 PM
nhwr--are those bulky? They look a bit thick, otherwise I am intrigued...No they are not bulky at all. I wear a women's 7 to 7.5 glove and the youth XLs fit me perfectly.

They compare very favorably with SSGs.

Pony Fixer
Jan. 28, 2011, 11:35 PM
PSJ-- that's how I ended up the the Hybrids! She swore they would hold up better. They are beautiful and they fit great.

Interesting about buying a large size--I do always buy mine to "fit".

Thanks for all the input, I have some thinking to do on my next shopping trip!

Mary in Area 1
Jan. 29, 2011, 12:08 AM
Good, I'm glad you all don't know about the Roekl Chesters...now they will have them in stock for me.

echodecker
Jan. 29, 2011, 01:01 AM
I am totally in love with these gloves! Now, they look a little crazy with the skeletor graphics on the back, but they are fantastic!!

http://www.bitofbritain.com/SSG_Technical_Grip_Glove_p/1175.htm

I used to be a dedicated crochet back glove user, then I took a working student job and sweated right through them. The SSG Technicals held up through 4-6 horses a day for 4 solid months before I got another pair. The first pair wasn't worn out, just a little rough! I wanted to keep them as a spare, but actually gave them to another girl and she rode in them for another 2 months and still has them as far as I know!

They have the aquasuede palm, great grip wet or dry and coolmax on the back so no hot hands and they are super thin with great feel! Also, you just hose them off and they are great. If it's hot, you can hose them off before you ride!

Oh...and they cost $20!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

stolensilver
Jan. 29, 2011, 07:34 AM
Best pair of riding gloves I've ever had were a present from a friend in Canada. They are leather roping gloves made by Watson. All other makes of gloves have worn out in 4-6 months. Roeckl Chesters are so thin they are in holes in 6 months even if I save them just for shows! But the Watson gloves are just starting to wear through at the base of my ring finger after 2 years of use. They are fantastic! Thick enough to wear in winter, thin enough for good feel and they are made from beautiful soft leather that isn't so thin you can see through it like a lot of other makes. I want another pair but they don't seem to sell them in the UK. :(

http://www.watsongloves.com/catalogdetails-play-576--Range_Rider_for_Her.htm

Ltc4h
Jan. 29, 2011, 08:56 AM
Everybody has you covered on the gloves-
Watched your hands/fingers.
I used to separate the seams on my ring fingers, my mare was not consistant in the bridle and so I was constantly adjusting my reins. If you keep readjusting your reins that will wear your gloves faster.
Also cheap leather, plaited and laced reins can lead to premature wear.

Dune
Jan. 29, 2011, 11:29 AM
I will only buy and wear one type of glove: Neumans. I'm pretty hard on them, but they last as good if not better than anything else I've found. Plus, I love, love, love the tacky feel they provide.:cool:

MelantheLLC
Jan. 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
I kept getting a hole at the top of my right index finger, which I assumed must be wear from the reins. Then I noticed that when I tighten the girth, that part of my glove often gets pinched in the buckle just as I let go of the strap and take my hand away. It's such a small short pinch that I'd never even noticed it until I saw the buckle take a little nip out of my lovely new winter gloves!

So notice what you are doing with your hands, including tacking up. If they always wear in the same place, you may be catching it somehow that you don't notice.