PDA

View Full Version : Total Saddle Reflock FOAM to WOOL...Cost? Can you recommend some people/companies...

HollysHobbies
Jan. 28, 2011, 02:11 PM
I'd like to replace the HARD foam panels in my dressage saddle to a softer wool. Can you recommend someone who won't BUTCHER my saddle? I'm in VA and would LOVE to be able to drive the saddle to someone...

How much do you pay for a total reflock?

Thanks!

Eclectic Horseman
Jan. 28, 2011, 02:28 PM
About $250 around here. (New England)

Pony Fixer
Jan. 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
I had it done by Journeyman in Middleburg for $200. It took 6 weeks, though.

HollysHobbies
Jan. 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
Oy, 6 weeks. Ok, I'll call them. Thanks PF!

monstrpony
Jan. 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
Dennis Brooks at Rocking B Saddlery in Hillsborough, NC, does a good job on this. If you're in southern/central VA, this is not too far.

PiaffePlease
Jan. 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
Not sure where in VA you are, but theres a girl in Angier, NC area that did mine. She does alot in my area. She completely reflocked mine for $150, I think and took 2 weeks. Mine wasnt foam though, it was wool. I had the old wool taken out and new put in. PM me if you are interested in her info.

Stacie
Jan. 28, 2011, 07:52 PM
Try Bill Woods
http://www.thesaddlefitter.com/
he goes all over Va and Md.

dwblover
Jan. 28, 2011, 09:30 PM
Classicsaddlery.com gave me a SUPER reasonable quote, and they manufacture their own saddles so I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing. Also, Sue Schurer at schurersaddlefit.com is great!

jn4jenny
Jan. 28, 2011, 09:32 PM
Classicsaddlery.com gave me a SUPER reasonable quote, and they manufacture their own saddles so I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing. Also, Sue Schurer at schurersaddlefit.com is great!

Lynda at Classic does indeed know what she's doing; she did all my saddle work when I was a Michigan resident.

I am having Heather Soones-Booher reflock my wool saddle tomorrow on-site for $150 (which means it won't even have to leave my barn!), but foam is a more complex conversion and usually requires that the saddle be handled in a workshop.

chryssilynn
Jan. 29, 2011, 01:14 AM
Hi! When you want to replace foam panels will wool flocked panels, you need a whole set of new panels. This is because the foam panels are not "whole". The foam is glued in and leather is wrapped around it, whereas wool flocked panels whole- the leather fully encompasses the wool. Hope that makes sense! If you want it done correctly, it is not cheap. You essentially need custom-made panels. Pre-made "off the rack" will not work correctly. I know two companies in California that do it, and it costs around $700. It may not be worth it depending on the value of your saddle. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks and good luck!

Bogie
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:30 AM
You do not need to spend $700 to get it done well.

TBrescue
Jan. 29, 2011, 05:58 PM
one of my friends had this done on her old Crosby saddle. It cost her maybe $300. She shipped her saddle to Patty Barnett in CT, had it back in 2 or 3 weeks.

Bogie
Jan. 29, 2011, 06:50 PM
one of my friends had this done on her old Crosby saddle. It cost her maybe $300. She shipped her saddle to Patty Barnett in CT, had it back in 2 or 3 weeks.

Patty does great work at a very reasonable cost.

chryssilynn
Jan. 29, 2011, 07:38 PM
You do not need to spend $700 to get it done well.

Yes, I know, $700 is pretty darn expensive, but in California things are a bit on the high side!

Bogie
Jan. 29, 2011, 09:10 PM
And I thought Boston was pricey :eek::eek:!

sadlmakr
Jan. 30, 2011, 12:18 AM
Most of the time a felt and foam panels set up can not just be changed over to the flock filled without re-making the panels so they have a backing.
Most often the felt is part of the back of the panels.
So new panel backs have to be made of leather with new point pockets. Sometimes the original panel leather facing can be reused but not always.
If I had to do that job I would have to charge at least $450. $600 is alot.
Sometimes it is just not cost effective to do that much work on a saddle. It would be cheaper to buy another saddle with the configuration you want.
This is JMHO.
sadlmakr

Adamantane
Feb. 3, 2011, 11:01 AM
I'd gotten the impression from a master saddler ten years or more ago that there was no practical way to swap wool flocking for foam. (Perhaps his opinion was that the cost to me from him was unwarranted for the saddle in question and he replied in that context. Or maybe I just misunderstood. It happens.:lol:)

Anyway that is good news, especially since another poster stated that the same local guy who fitted my current saddle is someone who's done that wool-for-foam switchover for them. Since the tree size was wrong for a more recent critter, I thought I was stuck with a moderately expensive doorstop that nobody else likely ever would have any interest in.