PDA

View Full Version : COTH Article: Spectator at the First CDI of the Season

Velvet
Jan. 27, 2011, 12:55 PM
I just read the article online and had a problem with it. Yeah, like that's a surprise.

Anyway, the title suggests simply talking about spectating. Then, in the article, the author (Lauren) starts talking about her own horse's training and how it would not be out of place, and how she's going to train her horse to move more like other horses she saw.

I'm not faulting that she has her own story to tell, it's just that it doesn't match the title. I mean, if I'm spectating, I'm going to talk about the riders at the show, not my own horse. If it was meant to be about the author's horse and training it for those classes, that's a different title.

Just bugged me...

alibi_18
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:10 PM
I just read the article online and had a problem with it. Yeah, like that's a surprise.

Anyway, the title suggests simply talking about spectating. Then, in the article, the author (Lauren) starts talking about her own horse's training and how it would not be out of place, and how she's going to train her horse to move more like other horses she saw.

I'm not faulting that she has her own story to tell, it's just that it doesn't match the title. I mean, if I'm spectating, I'm going to talk about the riders at the show, not my own horse. If it was meant to be about the author's horse and training it for those classes, that's a different title.

Just bugged me...

Me, myself and I agree with you.

Jocko
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:10 PM
I did not see the article. But, often journalists have none or very little say over titles. That job is usually left to the editors.

HCF
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:36 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/spectating-first-cdi-season

Just wanted to add a link to the blog post for those who haven't seen it.

inca
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:43 PM
If it was an actual ARTICLE written by a JOURNALIST, then maybe your complaint would be valid. However, it is a BLOG post, not an article. The blogs are about chronicling that person's journey with their horses/training/showing/etc.

Kadenz
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
It's a BLOG, not an article. Therefore, most of Lauren's posts are, indeed, about her horses and their training. I wouldn't expect a "show report" from her; that's not the point of the blog.

Velvet
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:27 PM
Then I still have a problem with the title. I did not see it in a Blog page, but in the voices section. The title implies that you will be reading about what the author saw a show, not about what the author will be doing with their own horse.

Like I said, I'm picking on the TITLE. All Lauren defenders need to reread that part. :lol:

Kadenz
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
If you found the post in the "voices" section of the COTH site, you would have seen the heading marked "Blog Entry" right above the title of her post.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article_landing/voices

You're welcome to have issues with Lauren, but honestly, this seems like a silly thing to be upset about. ALL Lauren's blog posts are about her horses and their training.

netg
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:46 PM
I read it and thought "I'm glad I'm not the only one who spectates that way!" It was exactly what a blog from me reflecting on a show would be like in tone, though better in quality.

I have a LOT to learn. Loads. Tons. And when I go to shows, I try to see what's working well (and what isn't) for other riders, and figure out what to try to work on myself. Even on the rare occasion someone seems to not be as good a rider as I am, I can still usually learn something from watching them.

Yep, I'm totally self-centered. :)

meupatdoes
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:49 PM
Then I still have a problem with the title. I did not see it in a Blog page, but in the voices section. The title implies that you will be reading about what the author saw a show, not about what the author will be doing with their own horse.

Like I said, I'm picking on the TITLE. All Lauren defenders need to reread that part. :lol:

Oh for Christ's sake.

Lauren went to go WATCH a cdi and in so doing she thought about what she saw in relation to her current work with her horses, and then she BLOGGED about it. Just because you for whatever reason can't see the words "Blog Entry" right there above the link to it from the Voices section and "Blogger Lauren Sprieser" right there on the screen at the end of the piece does not mean Lauren is misleading you.
It means you don't look at your screen carefully enough and can't figure out what genre you are reading without outside help.

Or does it piss you off that personal essays like Michael Lewis's "Wading Towards Home" (author returns to New Orleans after Katrina) aren't actually JUST about wading around the flooded streets of New Orleans but ALSO digress into stories of his youth and some other people he encounters, etc etc, along the way?

Do you think Samuel Beckett ought to retitle "Waiting For Godot" because it might confuse people who expected a journalistic account of two people waiting?
May as well rewrite the whole thing:
They sat.
And sat.
And waited.
And sat.
And waited.
Occasionally, one twiddled his thumbs.

Or, if that isn't accurate journalism enough:
At 3:23pm on Sunday afternoon in Manning township, two area residents, white males in their early 30s, sat on the bench at the corner of Smith and Jenkins, and waited. When questioned by police about their loitering, they responded, "We're waiting for Godot." Officer Jim Nagy, a 25 year veteran of the Manning township police force shrugged when interviewed. "It seems they really want to sit on that bench," he said. "The best we can do is keep an eye on them and make sure they don't succumb to hypothermia as night sets in or, in the event of an extended stay, starvation. Officers on patrol are under instruction to check in on them every few hours, but for now that's all we can do. After all, it's not illegal to sit on a public bench."
The Parks and Recreation Department could not be reached for comment."

Yep, awesome play.
Anything else? Misleading!!! Bad journalism!

The written word, and whatever people title their works, is not restricted to straight journalism just because Velvet likes it so. Sometimes people write blogs, essays, short stories, plays...and it is up to the reader to figure out what genre they are reading without necessarily depending on a flashing neon sign on their computer screen.

But please feel free to treat everything like a newspaper article in complete disregard of its genre and go ahead and retitle both Lauren's piece and Mark Lewis's. The New Yorker clearly effed up on the Lewis situation and you should write them a note about it and set them straight.

Applecore
Jan. 27, 2011, 03:28 PM
In the spirit of your post, I have a problem with your title. Spectative isn't a word, nor was it used in Laruen's blog post, nor do I really understand what it's supposed to mean in this context?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spectative

All in all, it seems really petty to nit-pick title words (both your concern about Laruen's post and my concerns about yours). Honestly, I don't really care that I can't understand your title, because I understand your post (even if I disagree). And blogs usually involve a certain amount of personal narrative. You can go to news sources if you want to read just about the show (dressage-news and dressage-daily are both reporting from FL. I think COTH's coverage is a little more intermittant?)

Velvet
Jan. 27, 2011, 03:31 PM
:lol: I don't know how that got up there. Point taken on the title. I'll fix it. :lol:

Still think her title doesn't fit the article, or blog, if you like. If you're going to title it as being a spectator, you're reporting on what the people in the ring are doing, not what you are planning on doing with your horse.

NCRider
Jan. 27, 2011, 04:16 PM
So funny meuppatdoes.
Lauren is my favorite COTH blogger. She writes well, updates regularly and has interesting things to say.

This is the most bizarre thread ever. Perhaps I'll start one about how blue is my favorite color and how insensitive COTH is being by having a green background instead of blue. How dare they.

swgarasu
Jan. 27, 2011, 04:48 PM
COTH Article: Spectator at the First CDI of the Season

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just read this post and had a problem with it. I expected to read an article from COTH about a spectator at the first CDI of the season. Instead I got a whiny complaint from a person who seems to have no idea of something that is worth discussing on a forum versus something no one actually cares about.

The title suggests there might be something worth reading, but in fact the post is nothing more than someone moaning about something totally insignificant and basically incorect given the purpose of a blog (which is a person basically writing about their own life [events that transpire and the thoughts that they have] and alowing others to read it).

"You wasted 5 minutes of my life, and I want them back!" - Homer Simpson

Velvet
Jan. 27, 2011, 04:58 PM
COTH Article: Spectator at the First CDI of the Season

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just read this post and had a problem with it. I expected to read an article from COTH about a spectator at the first CDI of the season. Instead I got a whiny complaint from a person who seems to have no idea of something that is worth discussing on a forum versus something no one actually cares about.

The title suggests there might be something worth reading, but in fact the post is nothing more than someone moaning about something totally insignificant and basically incorect given the purpose of a blog (which is a person basically writing about their own life [events that transpire and the thoughts that they have] and alowing others to read it).

"You wasted 5 minutes of my life, and I want them back!" - Homer Simpson

:lol: Good one. ;)

It was only a musing. People out here are taking it much too seriously. It was just a stray thought after reading the title.

caddym
Jan. 27, 2011, 05:58 PM
Velvet, it seems that the COTH planets and stars are aligned and aiming at your anus today :)

friesian4me
Jan. 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
I love reading the blogs on COTH, especially this one. It is a blog which is a personal opinion of a personal experience. Very nicely written!

Velvet
Jan. 28, 2011, 11:28 AM
Velvet, it seems that the COTH planets and stars are aligned and aiming at your anus today :)

:lol: Just call me the COTH piƱata!

caddym
Jan. 28, 2011, 02:38 PM
And parties are so dull without pinata's

suzy
Jan. 28, 2011, 02:47 PM
So true, Caddy.

Must.find.baseball.bat!

Smooches Velvet! :)

kayandallie
Jan. 28, 2011, 07:19 PM
This is not a bad thread. What is not to love about it? Interesting title, interesting gripe, elicited a very, very well written response plus other fun responses, and what is more, alerted me to an update to a blog I like to read.
Thanks!

Velvet
Jan. 30, 2011, 12:47 PM
So true, Caddy.

Must.find.baseball.bat!

Smooches Velvet! :)

Yeah, you WOULD be the one calling for the bat. And not a fruitbat, either! ;) :lol: