PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for free longing?

AnotherRound
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:27 PM
In the north east, in CT, I am paying my trainer $60.00 a lesson or a training ride, and her assistant $40.00 or $50.00 for same.

I am without a car, for a few weeks and can't get out to the barn. Assistant is willing to do 1/2 hour free longing to keep condition on him, how much might I offer to pay her to get him out for a 1/2 hour free longing (assistant trainer)?

Any suggestions? I was thinking $20.00 but is that too little? If he works up a sweat, she will need to spend time with him to cool down and redress him. She puts boots on him for this kind of stuff. $25.00 too little?

thanks for input.

netg
Jan. 26, 2011, 02:07 PM
What do you mean by free longeing? If she's throwing him in an arena and chasing him around, no schooling involved, $20 seems sufficient to me.

My trainer doesn't have an assistant (and I wouldn't let her sort of WS touch my horse for work!), but I would pay her for a full training session if she were longeing my horse. That would mean work in a surcingle, transitions, gaits and balance all being worked on. It would probably only be 1/2 hour, but it would be hard work for him the whole time.

cyberbay
Jan. 26, 2011, 02:26 PM
To me, Freelunging is being loose in the ring, with a human attendant, and the horse is encouraged to trot and canter, to get his yaya's out.

I would not want my horse freelunged for 30 min. That's too long, and a long time for someone to tie up the ring or even stand there... For freelunge, once there has been some quiet walking (I like to encourage not blasting away from the handler and some warmup prior to the cantering), 10 min. of free exercise or until the horse has indicated that he's gotten his yaya's out.

That would equal about $20.00

CHT
Jan. 26, 2011, 02:34 PM
I agree that $20.00 sounds fine. I also agree that 30 minutes of actually chasing the horse sounds excessive and more likely to cause injury. I am hoping that time includes a warm up walk and cool down walk.

PiaffePlease
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:13 PM
its free longing, so its free, right?

In all seriousness I think $20 would be fine but I agree with the others that 30 mins is too long. If he was on a longe line and had a good walk warmup, the story might be different. Ive always wondered why people never warm their horses up when they longe but do it under saddle. With it being so cold, he is going to need a good walk warmup.

JB
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:17 PM
I'd want to know exactly what "free lunging" means.

If it's someone quietly encouraging him to w/t, maybe even canter, ready to step in if he starts getting all fruity, then $20 seems fine - it is their time after all.

But if it's just cracking a whip to get him to run as much as he will, skip it altogether.

alto
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:18 PM
"free longeing" = horse responsive to trainer but able to use the entire arena for walk, trot, canter, hup in all gaits so horse gets a controlled workout for 20-30min

arena time = horse turned out & just kept moving so he gets some energy out for maybe 10min, then another 10 min where he just gets to wander & roll

If your horse only does the latter, then go with netg's recommendation if you actually want your horse to maintain condition.

OTOH any reason why your horse can't just have a holiday with turnout & just horsey stuff to think on ...

AnotherRound
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:41 PM
I actually agrree about the time spent and not running him around for 1/2 hour. $20.00 sounds about right for getting him out there and supervising some transitions (he's good at listening).

A good longeing training session would be more,I agree, and who was it, netg

My trainer doesn't have an assistant (and I wouldn't let her sort of WS touch my horse for work!), but I would pay her for a full training session if she were longeing my horse. That would mean work in a surcingle, transitions, gaits and balance all being worked on. It would probably only be 1/2 hour, but it would be hard work for him the whole time.

This would be a useful training for Airborne, as he listens well but needs some stricter training and needs good balance and strengthening so I might ask for this.

As for trainer or assistant, I really like our assistant trainer - she is magical with horses, and very very correct with what she does. She is also one of those people who can just in a sentence or two teach you something. She also trains and teaches according to our Trainer's instructions, principals, and techniques, and defers to trainer's assessments, so that her work backs up trainer's work with the horses and the people. Its a tight-run program. I like having the assistant work with my horse. I'd like to see her show him a little bit this summer over fences.

Anyway, I think I will ask Trainer to do a full longing session, as above. and ask Assistant to get him out to stretch his legs. They are inside with the bad weather; when outside, their paddocks are big enough to get silly in, but not really stretch out and play, so I want him to get some running around time, and training too.

Thanks for the points made. And yes, he's getting lots of time off. I just want him to get some work two or three times a week and get out and loosen up in the indoor a couple times, too.

Cheers!