PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Horse - Show Names

LoveJubal
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:18 PM
Are there any good show names that you all know of for rescue horses?

I need a name suggestion, but I have no idea on the horse's breeding and I don't want to try and play off of his barn name (I don't really like it but I am keeping it).

He is an unregistered TB that is bay with one white sock and a white crooked blaze on his face.

I kinda want to keep with the rescue theme since that is how I came to know him.

I had an idea - Take a Chance on Me - like the ABBA song. Is that too corny?

mzm farm
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:43 PM
Isn't there a song "Rescue Me"?
Moi Spasitel = My rescuer/savior in Russian.

Good luck with your horse and the name quest.

EquineImagined
Jan. 26, 2011, 02:56 AM
I like Take a Chance on Me! Depending where you show the announcer may disagree, but I like it.

The appy gelding my neighbor pulled at Camelot a few months ago was the last horse to find a home. His barn name is Gamble and his show name will be Last Man Standing.

What about:
Re-run
Rags to Riches
Lazarus
You Missed Out
Chance it For Love
A Hoof and a Prayer (can' you hear announcers saying "And first place goes to X on a hoof and a prayer?)
Twist of Fate

I'll stop now, but could do this all night

COLORADO
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:41 AM
Deuxième Chance (French) = Second Chance (English)

RockinHorse
Jan. 26, 2011, 06:44 AM
I like Take a Chance better than Take a Chance on Me.

Other possibilities you could go with something like

New Beginning
New Age
Fresh Start
Born Again

northerhunter
Jan. 26, 2011, 07:14 AM
What about Redefined? Or Risen from the Ashes (as in a phoenix being reborn)

alg0181
Jan. 26, 2011, 07:35 AM
How about Tabula Rasa?

It means "blank slate."

alliekat
Jan. 26, 2011, 07:48 AM
Take a Chance
Do Over

Nauset
Jan. 26, 2011, 08:17 AM
Take a Chance (no "On Me", too long)
Taking Chances
Revival
New and Improved
Phoenix

A Hoof and a Prayer is a pretty well known pony... can't remember if it's a large or a medium..

kateh
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
De Nuevo-Spanish for "again" literal translation is "of new"
Epilogue
Afterword
Ever After (Happily Ever After might be too long)

LoveJubal
Jan. 26, 2011, 02:26 PM
I like these ideas!

Please keep them coming... I like the Tabula Rasa idea - hadn't thought of that one.

I am in agreement that Take a Chance on Me might be too long, BUT I also would like a name that the announcer can actually say ;)

The only other thought I have for a naming idea would be a legal theme... I am a new lawyer here in the Commonwealth, so that theme might also be appropriate.

Anyway, thanks for all the help!

alliekat
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:47 PM
Exhibit A

GypsyQ
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
I like 'Do Over'.
Please, nothing with Lucky in it.

alg0181
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
Chapter 2
For Keeps
De Novo (have the law + the new start theme here)
Hearsay

hollynanne
Jan. 26, 2011, 05:15 PM
Ohoh! We have two rescued Tbs. Here are their registered names, barn names and show names. :)

Steppin' Not Deagon - "Bella" - Second Chances (my 1999 JC mare)
exclusivelynassau - "Charlie" - Top Shelf (hubby's 2000 JC gelding)

My friend's gelding's JC name is Becky's Angel (no lie! her name is NOT Becky, btw :lol: )
She calls him "Uno" and his show name is "One on One"

I like "Take a Chance." "Taking Chance" is the name of a movie about a solider, so I wouldn't name my horse that, but I'm a dork about stuff like that!

The good thing about Take a Chance for a show name is that you "could" change his barn name, if you wanted to.

EquineImagined
Jan. 26, 2011, 08:52 PM
Petition
Presidential Pardon
Double Jeapordy
Out on Bail

...I need to stop with name threads, its becoming an addiction...

Hilltopfarmva
Jan. 26, 2011, 08:58 PM
I was going to rename a rescue I got late last summer, Lost and Found if I ended up showing her. But now she is going on a breeding lease because apparently her pedigree is very nice for racehorse breeding!

LoveJubal
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:47 PM
Chapter 2
For Keeps
De Novo (have the law + the new start theme here)
Hearsay

I really like De Novo!!! That definitely combines the two ideas!

Excellent :cool:

fourmares
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:52 AM
Please Believe Me, Believe, Mahalo (it means Thank You in Hawaiian), Habius Corpus, First Appeal, Just Reward,

LoveJubal
Jul. 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
What about "Rescue Me"?

I really like De Novo, but I have my doubts about people pronouncing it correctly. Also, I have mentioned the name to other in passing and very few actually get the reference. It is kinda lost on a lot of people...

I liked some of the others too, but I wanted to see if there were any new ideas!

Themes:
- He is a bay TB and is a rescue horse
- I am an attorney
- My husband is in law enforcement so that could be okay too
- I have another horse (Front Row), so we could go off that as well

moonriverfarm
Jul. 25, 2011, 04:29 PM
High Hopes ;-)
Crusoe

shadowanne
Jul. 25, 2011, 04:33 PM
I like the Out on Bail suggestion. It implies being rescued from something (lots of people refer to 'breaking their dogs out of jail' when they rescue them), and is relative to both law jobs of your family. It also alludes that you guys might be a little sneaky, surprising... a combo to watch :)

Hunterlover17
Jul. 25, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hidden Treasure -> because someone else's trash is some else's treasure. I know, I have a rescue too!

witherbee
Jul. 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
Exonerated
Free At Last
Let Freedom Ring
Ejudicate
Above the Law
Legal Chance
Plead the Fifth
Court Appointed
Judgement Day
Here Come De Judge
Legal Eagle
My Counsel
Voir Dire
Pro Bono

Kryswyn
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
Rescue Me implies he still needs rescuing.

Take a Chance, hmm seems likely that has been done to death.

My suggestions:

Finnegan Beginagain (lends itself to a new happier barn name)
Land on Go
Chapter 11 (you know they'll drive you there!)
Safe Harbor (both rescue AND legal!)
New Dreams

Jumper_girl221
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:11 PM
I like the Out on Bail :)

Only two recorded with USEF (one of which is suspended). None recorded with VHSA currently :) Where and what will you be showing him?

WoofNWhinny*
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:16 PM
Case Dismissed
Charges Dropped (OOOOOPPPSSSSSSSSSSS!! Now that I type that, NO WAY!! LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!)
Not Guilty
Jury Duty
Expert Witness
Crime Scene Witness
Star Witness
Prosecution Rests
Case Closed
Deposition
Paroled
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Return To Innocence (song title)

New Leaf
Fresh Page
Turn The Page (or Turned The Page)
Turn The Corner (")
Restart
Reset Button
Let's Do It Again
No Substitutions

Repeat Performance
Encore
Command Performance
Special Appearance
Guest Star

McKenna95
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:42 PM
How about Worthwhile Risk?

LoveJubal
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
Chapter 11 - How funny :lol:

Res Ipsa Loquitur - Very witty, "The thing speaks for itself"
I may have the same problem with that as De Novo - pronunciation and the fact that people will not get it

Keep them coming, you all are so creative :)

I thought Charges Dropped was funny, but then I thought about OJ and Casey Anthony.... Ummm, could get a little hairy with that one :winkgrin:

Out on Bail or Out on Bond seems to be quite popular, so that one may be a keeper.

olivertwist96
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:03 PM
I really like 'Turning Tables.'

Phaxxton
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
What about Redefined? Or Risen from the Ashes (as in a phoenix being reborn)
I really love Redefined! :yes:

CobJockey
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:59 PM
Playing on the "Do Over" thing, I say "Mulligan"!

MyssMyst
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:31 PM
My vote goes to Out on Bail...

bits619
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:38 PM
Playing on the "Do Over" thing, I say "Mulligan"!

I've been wanting to name a rescue that very name for a while now!! Mulligan- i love the sound of it, options for nicknames, and it's just downright CUTE!!

HealingHeart
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:58 PM
Your horse didn't put itself in the rescue situation, give him/her a up beat name to go forward from a bad dream

Bless it Be
Amazing Grace
Believe
In its time
Love Lives

elmerandharriet
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
We joke about about calling mine emaciation.. since he was so skinny

redkat
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:44 PM
Reprise
Da Capo al Coda/DC al Coda ("from the beginning, to the tail")
At Liberty

jetsmom
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:07 PM
- I have another horse (Front Row), so we could go off that as well

If Front Row, the one that was Green Working HOTY a number of years ago, or just the same name?

LoveJubal
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:30 PM
We joke about about calling mine emaciation.. since he was so skinny

Except we call it Starvation Nation :)
Funny name, but not a funny situation!

LoveJubal
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:31 PM
If Front Row, the one that was Green Working HOTY a number of years ago, or just the same name?

That's my prince :) Now, that is a Trakehner in the Hunter Ring for you!!

englishcowgirl
Jul. 26, 2011, 02:02 AM
It really doesn't have to do with him being a rescue. All of mine have been rescues, however most also came with their registered names. My "grade" mare came with a unique barn name and we gave her a show name I liked. I try not to treat them like victims, as it has become a trendy thing for many people to do now days.

txhjgirl
Jul. 26, 2011, 02:57 AM
Diamond in the Rough

danceronice
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:46 AM
I try not to treat them like victims, as it has become a trendy thing for many people to do now days.

Tell me about it. If I hear one more "he was a rescue" I'm gonna ask for proof they got the horse from animal control in a seizure.

LoveJubal--if you know he's a TB, does he have a tattoo and you could look up his real name?

LoveJubal
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:19 AM
I know this because his stud fee wasn't paid, so he can't be registered with the Jockey Club. No, I am not going to go pay it now so that he can be registered. I could care less because he is my project horse. Hopefully, he will do hunters, but if he doesn't, that could be okay too.

He has no show name and I don't know his breeding. I know that you can't look at him and say that he's not a TB though. He hails from Kentucky.

He was adopted by someone who starved him and yes, I did in fact take him with law enforcement assistance from that property.

Rescue - http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa419/ashbyleigh/Starvation%20Nation/ (these are gross, I'm just warning you)

Now - http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa419/ashbyleigh/The%20boys/ (He is the Bay)

Maybe these pictures will help with name formation :) And, no, I did not give him the name Squiggy - I know, it's awful

TwoDreamRides
Jul. 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
Mine is Always The Optimist. Not a "rescue" but bought him off the track and 3 days after delivery he developed a severe stomach infection and spent 10 days in ICU at UGA - he obviously wasn't in the best of condition when we got him. And, had he gone to another family I doubt he would have received the same kind of medical attention, so I do consider him a rescue from fate. He never lost that spark to live, which kept me from giving up hope, hence Always The Optimist (I had been planning on Satisfaction Guaranteed, but am SO glad I didnt go with that LOL :D)

Maybe something to do with a bright future would be a good bet? Bright Future, What Lies Ahead, Clear Sailing Now, Light at the End, Opportunity Abounds, etc

Or, I like the idea that he had cops on his side. Brought My Entourage, With Blue Streaks, Protected Delivery, The Witness, etc.

LoveJubal
Jul. 26, 2011, 03:38 PM
Brother Bear - He grows hair like a woolly bear in the winter time and I don't know how or why we started calling him that, but we do sometimes.

Wasn't that the name of a kid's movie? Does it sound stupid?

He is brown like a bear and he is Jubal's younger brother... Maybe it works :yes:, maybe it doesn't :no:?!?!

Let me know ;)

P.S. - Out on Bail is still in the running - Hubby likes that one as well.

HealingHeart
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:28 PM
Love Brother Bear, it is strong and as strong and far as you he come. He is beautiful.

Brother Bear - He grows hair like a woolly bear in the winter time and I don't know how or why we started calling him that, but we do sometimes.

Wasn't that the name of a kid's movie? Does it sound stupid?

He is brown like a bear and he is Jubal's younger brother... Maybe it works :yes:, maybe it doesn't :no:?!?!

Lord Helpus
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:31 PM
Finders Keepers

Lord Helpus
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:37 PM
Reprieve

stolen virtue
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:55 PM
We named the dog we found off the freeway "Kismet". We no longer have him but I loved his name-I named him and he was my favorite dog who lived to be 17 and he was a lab mix.

Rivermeer
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:15 PM
For a succesful OTTB, how about: Finder's Keepers!

Heather

LoveJubal
Jul. 27, 2011, 01:50 PM
I am compiling a list for my DH to review to see which ones he likes best, since it is by his good graces that I am able keep this horse ;)

I will let you know what the finalists are!

Thanks again :yes:

Deepinmanure
Jul. 30, 2011, 08:32 AM
How about

PRO BONO ?

LoveJubal
Jul. 30, 2011, 06:25 PM
DH likes Pro Bono - I think we might have a winner :yes:

He also likes Out on Bail...

We shall see - Thanks again for all the feedback :)
I knew you all would get the job done ;)

aWp
Jul. 30, 2011, 07:43 PM
Love Out on Bail!

Jumper_girl221
Aug. 1, 2011, 02:22 PM
3 Pro Bono's with USEF, none currently with VHSA :)

LoveJubal
Aug. 1, 2011, 02:35 PM
3 Pro Bono's with USEF, none currently with VHSA :)

Thanks for checking! I would like to do something pretty original - I still like Out on Bail and Brother Bear.

dani0303
Aug. 1, 2011, 02:46 PM
I really like Pro Bono!

Trevelyan96
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:41 PM
I really like Redifined as well.

WendellsGirl
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:48 PM
Had a lovely gelding I rehabbed from starving and strangles, showed him under the name 'Eleventh Hour'.