PDA

View Full Version : XC Bit Suggestions/Mikmar??

maggini
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:00 PM
I'm looking for a different XC bit because while my horse used to respect his bit, he now likes to barrel down on his forehand with his face half in the ground with it (which was why I switched to it in the first place). I like to ride with a light hand, and don't particularly enjoy yanking my horse's head up every few stride or really having to get in his face with the reins when he ignores my body.

My current XC bit is a Happy Mouth mullen mouth combo bit with a fleece nose piece over the hackamore part to act as a shadow roll. (http://www.doversaddlery.com/mullen-mouth-hackamore-bit/p/X1-0174/cn/1464/)

My horse is very clear about what type of bits he doesn't like. He HATES loose rings and french link/double-jointed mouthpieces. He likes dees and eggbutts and mullen mouth, Myler (with the rotating barrel), and copper single-jointed mouthpieces.

He likes hackamores, but control is an issue with a plain leather hackamore. I also like the difference the shadow roll made.

I have to be careful with what I choose because my horse will curl up easily to evade the bit (which is why I'm hesitant with all the curb in a reining style bit, although I'd like to try one). I was also even thinking I could rig up a hackamore/bit double bridle to try.

So- any suggestions? I'm open to both English and Western bits so long as they offer a lot of control. I think I'd like to still have the option of a shadow roll, but I'll take any sort of suggestions. I'm also open to equipment suggestions for the barrelling down problem, especially ones that would help the effectiveness of my current bit.

Also, does anyone have experience with Mikmar bits? I think I'd like to try one, but the mouthpiece definitely scares me. So does the price tag if my horse doesn't like it.

Aelfleah Farm
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
I have a Mikmar that we used for control issues when jumping. I set it on the mildest rein setting and did not use the rope nose part.

It is a pretty mild bit, for a curb bit. Looks very scary though. It is very light, and with the wide mouth, it is actually fairy nice though.

I do not know how it would work for you horse. My pony was simply bolting away on occasion and needed sheer brakes, she didn't go below the bit, but rather above.

After jumping in it for like 3 months, she is back in her regular snaffle.