PDA

View Full Version : Looking up scores costs $20?!?!!?

ctab
Jan. 25, 2011, 05:41 PM
Am I the only one really pissed about this?

Went to the USDF competition site to look up a riders score from last year to double check scores for year end awards for the GMO I belong to.

It was $20!! as it was considered a "lifetime" check.
AND you better copy or print that out as it costs $20 each time search.

SERIOUSLY??? Come on!

Looking up the current year is still free. yippee.

Maybe I am coming late to this party. What a crappy way to nickel and dime your members.

Needless to say I did not pay and painfully dug through all the scores from each show.

Calhoun
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:17 PM
Maybe they're going the same route as banks . . . it's all about the fees.

yaya
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:20 PM
If you look during the current year, it's free, so you have to make sure to look up any scores before they close out the year, which is usually right after the convention in early December.

You just have to be quicker.

I just paid it to check scores on a horse I'm considering buying, and it was nice to see all the scores he's ever earned.

And way cheaper than a plane ticket.

ToN Farm
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have lost money getting score reports. I paid the $20, but no report was generated. If that happens, you cannot get your money back.

There are some bugs in the USDF's site. I don't know if it's because I use a Mac or not. Many, many times when I request information (the free kind), it will come back with some kind of Microsoft error and I'll sometimes have to request the information 3-4 times. Next time it happens, I'll copy it and add it to this thread, just to show you what i mean.

Capriole
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:04 PM
I have lost money getting score reports. I paid the $20, but no report was generated. If that happens, you cannot get your money back.
Just email USDF and they'll fix it for you. I've had the same problem a few times, and they emailed the report directly to me when I notified them, usually within minutes.

Maybe I am coming late to this party.
Yup. It's been this way for many years. And they post *many* reminders to check your scores before the year ends.

cyndi
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
I paid the $20 and my 'lifetime' report on the four horses was so incomplete it was a joke.

Coppers mom
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:47 AM
I paid the $20 and my 'lifetime' report on the four horses was so incomplete it was a joke.

Yup. Now, I just keep a folder with every dressage test they do, and just write their placing in the top corner. If the actual tests aren't good enough for a buyer (in the case of a sale horse), then they are free to try and get something out of the USDF.

Velvet
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the strong arming of the USDF. Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder what value they really provide for all the money they take from the members. :no:

They just are NOT fiscally responsible in any way shape or form. I don't care how many people they laid off a few years back. They are not good money managers and they think that all USDF members are uber wealthy and can afford any and all charges.

Just look at what they expect from GMOs. It's highway robbery--just without a weapon. :eek:

Boomer
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:58 AM
I run score reports thru USEF - free and you can get 1 report with several years on it.

opel
Jan. 26, 2011, 10:31 AM
I hate USDF's new website. Sucks to find things and there are bugs. I complained (nicely) and got a really rude response alluding to the fact that I'm an idiot. Can't believe we have to pay all the fees (which I am fine with) and then pay again for the score checks. I'm glad to have a national dressage organization but I'm pretty disgusted currently.

Velvet
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:03 AM
New? The current website has been in place for a few years (I believe). They do not do user testing and they don't have anyone in their IT department that really knows how to organize a web site to make i twork for the members. :eek:

BigPaintHorse
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:30 PM
If anyone ever has any problems getting a score check or their score check is incomplete please call the USDF office and I am sure one of the competitions coordinators will be more than happy to try to help you figure out what went wrong, email you the score check, and work to figure out why all of your scores are not showing up on any given report. (you can call directly at 859 271 7894 (jtice@usdf.org) or 859 271 7886 (prizelist@usdf.org)

The "current year" score checks will flip over on December 15th of each year so to print off a complete score check for each year it is suggested that you do so between October 20th and December 15th.

Also if you check your current year scores during the year if there are any errors then they can get corrected before the scores become final (around the 15th of October) and no corrections can be made after that.

Please feel free to call or email them with any questions or suggestions. There are times when staff's hands are tied but for the most part they will do whatever they can in their power to help members get what they need accomplished.

MysticOakRanch
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:51 PM
I run score reports thru USEF - free and you can get 1 report with several years on it.

I do this too. USDF has charged for past year score checks for quite a while now (at least 3 or 4 years). I always make sure to check my boys' scores before December, but if I need to go back to a prior year, I hope on USEF. Don't like the format quite as much, but it is free.

opel
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:11 PM
Having been around for a while, I consider the current website "new"--though it has been changed for at least 3 years or so..... I would think that it would have become a little more user friendly during that time-but no. I'm very interested to hear that score checks can be done through USEF. I will try that next time I need old scores. I suppose people could call every time the website doesn't work--but what a pain in the rear. I would think they could have fixed the glitches by now--ESPECIALLY because this is a service people are paying for.

yaya
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:31 PM
But a lot of times, the USEF report doesn't have the dressage scores on it. It will have placing, and how many were in the class, but no scores.

Seems it's only been recently they've recorded actual dressage scores on the USEF report.

For instance, the horse I'm contemplating has dressage scores back to like 2002, but the USEF report only had scores for the shows starting in 2007. And it was still incomplete.

CapitolDesign
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:47 PM
I have found that often the easiest way to get a specific score from a few years back is to google the horse/rider and hope the show has posted the full results online.

ctab
Jan. 27, 2011, 08:23 PM
Good to hear I can go to USEF and get them for free.

I knew that 2010 would be a past year. And now I vaguely remember someone saying that it was not free anymore. As I was going over all the scores from all the rides in my GMO for year end awards, I was trying to make my job simpler by looking up by rider instead of having 7 windows open with each show results then slogging through each show to find the rides.

This year I will just keep track of each member by adding their scores to a spread sheet. Come end of year awards, it will all be there.

I guess the part that really annoys me is that all this information is on a server somewhere. The USDF need to keep it anyway to maintain their records. As a member this information should be available for free as part of my dues. I could understand if I was not a member, then I could see paying for it. Even then, $20 is STEEP for a one time report!

MysticOakRanch
Jan. 28, 2011, 11:14 AM
I guess the part that really annoys me is that all this information is on a server somewhere. The USDF need to keep it anyway to maintain their records. As a member this information should be available for free as part of my dues. I could understand if I was not a member, then I could see paying for it. Even then, $20 is STEEP for a one time report!

Totally agree! Remember last year, USDF wanted to charge us extra even for their Directory? They sent out a "member survey" last year (not sure everyone got it, but they sent me one) and I gave them an earful about charging extra for things that SHOULD be included in membership (I also think the ADVERTISERS got ripped off because they are promised that publication goes out to everyone - then it didn't)! I have no problem with charging for a score check for non-members - or even charging for a score check that goes back more then 18 months. But I feel USDF is alienating members with these kind of charges, and I did let them know. I noticed this year they didn't charge for the Directory - so maybe they did listen (I'm guessing more then one person blasted them on that charge).