PDA

View Full Version : tell me about your Trakehner...

Mayflower Farm
Jan. 25, 2011, 05:42 PM
Ok, since I just had another less than steller vet report on a horse I was looking at, I'm back looking again. My first dressage horse was a beautiful Trakehner gelding by Peron and I absolutely loved him. I owned him his entire life and have spent the years since his passing dreaming of finding another horse as special as he was.

There have been others of course, but nothing quite so personable or just plain cool as him. Not to mention the air cushion ride. :)

So, do you have one? Where did you find him/her? Any special bloodlines or breeders?

redhorse5
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:11 PM
Mayflower, You have a PM. Redhorse5

Bogie
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:15 PM
Ah yes, my Trakehner was certainly my heart horse. I owned him for 12 years and lost him to an aneurysm two years ago.

What a wonderful breed. I will definitely own another!

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hi, I'm sure that your bond with your past horse took time to build. It's not something that can be replaced. Your next horse will probably become special in different ways; a different bonding but possibly equally rewarding. It may be with any breed. Maybe think about what's more important to you-a wonderful relationship or a specific breed.

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ah yes, my Trakehner was certainly my heart horse. I owned him for 12 years and lost him to an aneurysm two years ago.

What a wonderful breed. I will definitely own another!

I'm sorry you lost your special heart horse.

EventStrong
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:34 PM
Love my Trakehners! My favorite horse of all time was one that I leased when I was younger. That horse won my first 3rd and 4th Level tests for me, then helped me make it safely around Prelim eventing courses.

Now I own a couple of mares, a weanling and one of my girls is starting her career this season. The most responsive and intelligent horses I have ever experienced!

Wayside
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:42 PM
My Anglo-Trakehner mare http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/saranade was bred by Nancy Schmidt http://www.warmbloodscanada.com/index.html

Though it looks like they're doing mostly Hanoverians these days (my mare will be 16 this year) it might still be worth a look.

I also own Sadie's daughter by Feuertanzer http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/silent+debut2

Really, I'm quite thrilled with both my girls, so I can see the appeal of another Trakehner. Though I do agree with the previous poster who mentioned that sometimes it takes time to form a bond with a new horse. Yes, some of them are just special, some of them you click with right away, but sometimes you grow into your relationship, too.

Calhoun
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
My first dressage horse was a trak out of the M line and he could be a total a$$. Very skittish as a youngster, no confidence. When he freaked out over something, it was all self preservation mode and anything around him better get out of the way . . . I ended up in the hospital over a blowing weight tape. The trainer who broke him ended up with a hematoma on his thigh over approaching him to quickly with a blanket.

He settled down around age 7, but you always had to be careful in a new situation such as a horse show or clinic. He truly was a fantastic mover and when we started schooling 3rd level, called it quits and we divorced. His mental attitude in training just wasn't fun. He would wig out over learning new movements, but once he "got it" he was great, it was getting to the "got it" stage that was so difficult. Truly, he was a professionals horse, not for an amateur like me. I did have him with good trainers most of his 9 years w/ me.

Once, at a horse show, I saw a full brother (from the same breeder) just take off in the warm up ring. On minute he looked to be cantering calmly and bam, the next minute he was running for his life. The first year showing Training level, I stalled next to a gal who had a gelding out of the same stallion and the horse was hot like a firecracker, she was a tactful rider and held him together. She also told me he would get anxious about learning new things, but once he had it down, no problem.

At the barn where I board, 2 young sisters own a trak mare who is absolutely priceless. In another life, this mare was their mother. Her job is to safely jump them around and she knows it.

netg
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:19 PM
There's a good chance my next horse will be a trakehner. I love this farm, love the owner, love the horses:
http://www.sovereignfarm.com/

She is VERY honest - when I was starting looking I just wanted an idea of what's out there. One horse had caught my eye, and she was honest that this horse just didn't have a good personality and I wouldn't want her.

I keep hoping whoever bought Vigo from her will post on this board, as he was an absolute darling personality-wise with GORGEOUS movement. Had he not been so huge (I'm 5'1") I would have been extremely tempted to get him.

Bronte
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:20 PM
I love my Trakehner! He is now rising ten and is (small brag here), schooling all his GP work, and hopefully we will put it in the GP ring this year. For the last year he has been in full time training (because GP is beyond me, but not him). Now I am sponsoring my coach and him. Before that, I did all the work myself, with my coach's help. I have had him since he was 4 yrs. W/T/C sometimes on the correct lead!

So, having ended up with a much better horse than I intended... I bought a lovely 4 yrs old mare. Although not a Trak, when you look at her breeding, her dame is Trak. Love her too!!

So, what is it I love about Trakehners? Well, to me they do the work easily, they are built for it and have the brains for it, (dressage). But the bit I really like??? They ride like a T/B, hot off the leg and always ready to go!!

Good luck finding you new partner. I do love Traks, but at the end of the day, it's not the breed, it's the horse that counts. I say be open to all possibilities!:yes:

bathsheba8542
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:33 PM
I had a barely green broke Trakehner come into my life when he was 3. He had unbelievable movement, a heart of gold, and a firecracker response to everything new. I realized (wisely) he was a professional's horse, and he and she made it to GP. Never off a day in his life until he was in his 20s. And, I think he's still a wild thing at heart. Great breed, but too hot for me!

Mayflower Farm
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, I'm out of the box and have had a QH, TB and DWB and am currently riding a PRE mare. I've vetted a 2 DWB/TB crosses, 1 DWB and most recently a BIG Han. mare. I love the hottness of the TB but it's the movement and lightness of my Trak that comes back to haunt me. I've sat on some Trak's since and it's like coming home when I feel that trot. Not to say my guy was uncomplicated, he was "special" that's for sure. Since I'm back to the hunt, I thought I go where my heart is leading me. I like the smaller, finer horses, not the big ones, but I see lots of Hanoverians and other warmblood breeds, but not so many Trakehners so I thought I come to the source of all knowledge - COTH!

scubed
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:42 PM
My youngster is not all Trakehner, but his Grandsire is Hailo and there are other Trakehners in his lineage. I love him. He has a great brain and is a very good mover with a super work ethic. Trakehners are definitely my favorite warmblood breed (I event and am probably a TB person at heart).

TropicalStorm
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hehe, I have a love/hate relationship with Trakehners :yes:

I remember seeing the Trakehner stallion Hy Tech perform at Spruce Meadows when I was about 14 years old...and I thought he was the most gorgeous horse I had ever seen. I spent 1 year telling anyone that would listen that I wanted a "trak-ner", and no one knew what the heck I was talking about.

I moved to a dressage barn, and saw this gorgeous 17hh dark bay horse called Storm. I bought him when I turned 16 years old. He was my dream horse, the proverbial tall, dark and handsome. What no one had told me about the trakehners was that they could be fruitier than a bowl of fruitloops ;) But all that hotness and sensitivity taught me patience (and that you could never get angry, because that made it worse). I only had a year with him before I was forced to retire him at 7 years old (but he still lives at my place now, and is still deathly afraid of, well anything new ;))
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v123/138/66/567570258/n567570258_377331_2968.jpg

Fancy my surprise when, a couple of years later, another few trakehners came to the barn. I fell in love with a rather awkward looking 17.2hh monster, who was 3/4 Trakehner and 1/4 hanoverian. We call him "Trakehner-lite" because most of the time, he has a heart of gold and is fairly patient and kind. However, he often likes to remind me that he can easily turn on a dime, and does get hot and spooky if things aren't going right for us that day ;) What's nice though that, in his case, he's so big that I can't imagine not having the sensitivity and hotness...it would be like moving a huge barge!!
I'm learning so much with him, and one thing I can say about the Trakehners is that they do try hard for their rider.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs127.ash2/39681_463770555258_567570258_6884421_2734597_n.jpg

Bogie
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry you lost your special heart horse.

We had a good run! I bought him to event and ended up foxhunting him. He was very brave, an excellent jumper and completely trustworthy. I could put my husband on him to trail ride or hunt first flight.

He was a horse with an opinion about many things (his sire was Instrafurst, who apparently was like that too) but once we found what he liked (the excitement of foxhunting suited him perfectly -- he was always looking for the hounds), he was a doll. I used to hunt him in a side pull bitless bridle which always amazed people.

What I liked about the breed was their athleticism, sturdiness and brain. While I couldn't force him to do something, if you approached him as a partner he would try his heart out. He also had very extravagant gaits.

NoDQhere
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:25 PM
Our breeding program is based heavily on Trakehner blood. Our guy Meisterwind (purebred) competed through Grand Prix and never had any lameness or illness. He was safe for any level of rider, but could turn it on when you needed him to. He is still going strong at 25, although retired from competition. Almost every horse on this farm is at least half Trakehner and our experience has been that they are easy horses. Very smart and willing and they love to have a job. We've yet to meet a crazy one.

Charmb
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
We started with trakehners in 1988, after a few attempts at other crosses. We now bred Canadian Warmblood. Our imported Dutch stallion had the damsire of Doruto (Trakehner). We bred to trakehener mares. We too have a Krusader. He is a 15 year old Trakehner stallion, approved Canadian Sporthorse, through dressage. I love the ability they have to present the visual with incredible suspension...and horrors....you can sit it!!! We have specifically looked for trakehners with mind to match the ability. I can safely say, they are a sane bunch of horses...Even our Schwalbenherbst mare (thankfuilly Wermizal damline). She is very different,chuckle. Like the world is going to eat her, when has foal at foot, have to keep away from the wolves...and lap horse when no foal at foot. I think the Trakehners add something no other warmblood breed does to the equation. And yes, they are not "dumbloods". They are the perfect transition horse from tb to warmblood. They offer you their heart and are very rideable. Unfortunately, there were many programs of breeding in NA that presented us with flightly trakehners. Somehow....no one can forget them, and many keep finding them. Meisterwind is one example of exemplary trakehner ability and temperment. Windfall didn't do bad. What about Abdullah (yes, definetely hotter...from what I hear....but talent and disposition was good.
Go for the trakehner. Find something with some of the Inerfuerst bloodline if you can, maybe some of what you had will be there.

PM or email me with what you desire...I still have trakehners, and have one or two ready for sale, plus I know a few out there availalbe. Can you imagine that? A warmblood breeder who is a trakehner groupie at heart.

Coeur*de*Cheval
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
Although he can be very spooky at times, he tries so hard. He definatly had some really bad training before we got him but he learned very quickly! He had never been cross country before when I got him (looking back he probably wasn't the smart decision for a kid who could barely jump 2') and now he was schooling Prelim/Int questions. I love his great movement but he still has the get-up-and-go for eventing. I would definatly want another when I eventually look for a new horse, but my goal for my boy is the CCI* at NAJYRC :yes:

jodyb
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
My Trakehner mare, Fame, is by the Mahagoni son, Butow. Butow stood at Rolling Oaks Farm (http://www.rollingoaksfarm.com/Rolling_Oaks_Farm/Home.html).

Fame's smaller than most (15.1) but has big gaits and was high score at her regional inspection. She's given me 3 foals, two by Contucci and one by Royal Prince, and with the economy as it is (not breeding for a while), she is now my riding horse.

I love what she has given her offspring (a strong loin connection and a quick hindleg), her Royal Prince filly was RMDS Materiale Horse of the Year in 2010. Fame is the smallest horse on the farm but she is definitely rules all. She is an opinionated ride but she can be sooo much fun :yes:

Hope you find the horse your looking for. I certainly like some Trakehner blood in my horses.

equusnight
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:10 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Trakehner mare! She is coming 8 by Hailo out of a Martini mare. I have had her since a weanling, and it is no stretch when I say she would walk through fire for me. I am an ammy from the word go (have had several horses in the past, but really no formal training to speak of) and basically did everything myself with her. I did back her, then when she was 4 and a half sent her off for about a month and a half to finish her.

She has never kicked, bit, bucked or tried to hurt me. On the contrary she takes care of me. The first time I played on the xc course, she packed me around like she was an old pro. Goodness knows I didn't know what I was doing, just point and shoot.

Couple of weeks ago I was riding, working on a few things (jumping, better trot to canter, etc) for about an hour. After untacking her I notice a chunk of thick cactus (have no idea where she picked it up from) sticking out of her heal. She didn't complain or fuss one bit!

Last summer she sliced her leg wide open (right hind) and I had to scrub, wrap, re wrap, etc for several months, and she stood like a trooper. I think Traks are smart, sensitive, and if you earn their respect and trust, there is nothing they wouldn't do for you!

Good luck, PM and I can give you the breeders info if you want!

acottongim
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
What great stories all!!! :) I was introduced to the breed in Germany when I was a kid - rode at a barn where the "old man" (trainer) was an ex cavlary guy and had made the Trek with a mare or two... I was hooked on the breed before I even understood the differences between the warmbloods. :)

I now breed them and have several. There are some that I'm much more bonded to, and the ones that are "mine" are def MINE. I just left the barn where my stallion and a gelding are at. Both are "my" boys but the stud is much more so. I stood near him for about 30 mins talking to the trainer and Tate never left my side and had to "touch" me the entire time and for the first 5 mins I was there DEMANDED my attention and love. Such a shame he hates me so much LOL. The gelding was very happy to see me but after a few mins he was "OK, I'm done with the lovey stuff now, make yourslef useful" LOL

BTW - equusnight's mare is even sweeter than she is letting on... ;)

K.
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
My father used to breed them. I look for them, and would have another in a heart beat.
My mare was the farms first foal. She was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was 6 when she was born and we grew up together. She was the best teacher a kid could ever ask for. She would wait patiently for me to figure things out, and if I rushed or was disorganized she would ignore me and make my life difficult. As soon as I had it together she would be patient again. She dumped me numerous times when I started riding her, if I was too harsh with an aid, or once again disorganized. (see a theme here? lol I am still disorganized, but almost never rush:)

I still miss her and feel I will never find another horse quite like her.

Good luck finding a horse. Shopping for one can be fun and/or tedious

Liz
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:51 PM
I purchased my first trakehner about a year and a half ago. I have to admit, I was unsure, the breed has a reputation for being hot. I also must confess, after a year and a half, I am sold. I will freely admit that my mare is forward thinking. Some might also consider her hot. I myself, have never had a horse that had such a connection to people. She is simply the most people oriented horse I have ever seen. I absolutely adore her. Yes, she can spook at a show. She is also very sensible. After spooking in a corner, she came around the same corner and did not bat an eye. Almost as if to say, I already saw that, it was no big deal, let's move on. What impresses me most is what a people oriented breed it is. My mare simply loves people. I never wanted a trakehner, i thought they were too hot for me. I was mistaken. Yes, my mare is forward thinking. She is also sensible and wants to please. I have been very impressed. She is out of Leonidas and I absolutely adore her.

slp2
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:57 PM
I have a young anglo-trak mare--I am really enjoying her. She is 4 and I got her a year ago. She is forward thinking and brave like my Tb. I like a horse with it's own engine! I had a heavier Hanoverian gelding and he didn't have quite the same work ethic as my Tb and my young mare.

Her talent seems to be jumping--it is easy for her and she has a lovely form over fences. Great trail horse (alone or with others) and was completely brave about x-c work. Water, ditches, banks, etc--no drama whatsoever. I ended up taking her to 3 events in the fall last year because she was so confident. She went around all 3 with clean jumping rounds--I was pretty amazed at how no nonsense she was about things. So she doesn't seem as spooky and hot as some of you describe. But her other half is Tb. She is not a fancy mover--but is very willing and correct in her dressage work and her gaits have improved a TON in the last year.

Her breeding is more along the hunter lines (I think was intended to be a show hunter). She is fairly "typey" with a very refined head. Sometimes people ask me if she has any Arab in her. She does get 10's on the "Cuteness" coefficients!! ;)

equusnight
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=

BTW - equusnight's mare is even sweeter than she is letting on... ;)[/QUOTE]

Your fur babies are amazing Anissa, especially Tate! One of the kindest most respectful stallion I have seen!

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:30 PM
I have three Anglo-Traks. Love all three and all are very different from each other.

My first I bought as an unstarted 4 yo. She is by Falke and out of a TB mare, Susquehanna Mist by O'Hara. She's a 15.3 energizer bunny and a blast:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=520468645094&set=a.520468625134.2026598.59301502

The second is my first homebred. She is laid back and easy going. Unfortunately, she wants to jump and I don't jump. She's by Hennessey out of a TB mare, Spencer Road by Northern Flagship.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=528597933934&set=a.509889460864.2020185.59301502

The third is the year younger full sister to the second one. Fortunately, she's happy to do dressage with me and I love riding her gaits. She's not quite as laid back as her sister but is kind of a "momma's girl." She really responds to verbal praise.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=526306151684&set=a.509889331124.2020183.59301502

I find each to be different but I really enjoy them. It's just too bad I don't share my first borns love of jumping. ;)

rprincess73
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
I was introduced to the breed a few years ago from afar. Just the sheer beauty of the young gelding (he was 6) was enough to hook me. However, I moved away from NC and came back to Florida.

Then - last July, started back into riding and met Antarius.

Antarius 1994 chestnut stallion
by Onassis *E*, out of Abilen by Gibertus
ORB-A-S1415 - bred by Jeannine Myers

After just a few lessons - I was completely SOLD on him! I have never owned a horse...so I leased him. I have to say - he is just amazing! He is trained through 2nd level - but can punch out a piafe and passage with no issues what-so-ever. But I have to say - it's not that that gets me...it's his brain; his personality. He is just too smart for his own good...along with a total ham! He is "one of the girls" (though he thinks he is a stallion)! He "listens" to me. He has to be part of the conversation when we are talking - nudging up against me - sticking his lip out - making low nickers.

When riding - I can't school a movement the same way more than 2 times...as he REMEMBERS it and tries to anticipate it happening again - when I might want him to do something else...hehehe.

When I finish riding and take him out to the paddock - I always stand with him and massage his neck while he drinks. After he is done - he slobbers as much as possible on me...then gets in a few nibbles of his halter that I am holding. When I say "go play", he turns to start walking away. IF I say "good bye" - he turns around and comes right back to me and nuzzles his head into my shoulder.

"Anty" will be 17 on Saturday...and he is still kicking with the little ones on the farm. A picture of him is on my profile here:)

suzy
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
I am also very fond of Trakehners. I think I would substitute the word "sensitive" for "hot," and I mean that in a good way. I had a 3/4 Trakehner, 1/4 TB by Ith that I raised from a weanling. Absolute joy! Very smart and brave both out hacking and in a show atmosphere. He was bred by Kleine Maus Farm in upstate New York. Not sure if they are still there, but worth checking.

Valhalla Farm in Florida seems to have a very good breeding program, and I would look there if I was in the market.

SisterToSoreFoot
Jan. 27, 2011, 03:10 PM
"Anty" will be 17 on Saturday...and he is still kicking with the little ones on the farm. A picture of him is on my profile here:)

That horse has a lovely eye and expression. He looks like a wonderful character; thanks for sharing.

CapitolDesign
Jan. 27, 2011, 03:44 PM
My own boy is a 12-yo Russian Trak by Hockey. He was a bit sensitive and nervous at shows for the first few years I owned him, but now that I have had him for a few years he is a little showman in the ring. We just went out Fourth Level and got a 65.7%, but it has been a long road to Rome! You can see him on my homepage at www.mooredressage.com doing half pass. I would love to find another like him - a little pep in his step and a bit too smart for his own good. However, once he is willing there is no stopping the guy.

Calhoun
Jan. 27, 2011, 04:26 PM
The third is the year younger full sister to the second one. Fortunately, she's happy to do dressage with me and I love riding her gaits. She's not quite as laid back as her sister but is kind of a "momma's girl." She really responds to verbal praise.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=526306151684&set=a.509889331124.2020183.59301502

Beautiful mare, what color?

Holly Jeanne
Jan. 27, 2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks Calhoun! :) She's a solid dark bay that is sun faded in that photo. Photo is from her inspection.

Louise Leatherdale
Jan. 28, 2011, 09:56 AM
We were fortunate several years ago to find our stallion Herzensdeib(translates...Heart Thief!) in Germany and have been super pleased with this magnificent Trakehner. He has such heart and the his offspring, both Trakehner and Hanoverian have really been exceptional. The Trakehner Verband just named him Elite (one of two only this year.) we have found that the Trakehner's a slower to mature but given the time they need it is worth the wait!!! Breeding to Hanoverians with this blood gives strength to the back we feel and the gaits on the offspring are amazing.

TKR
Jan. 28, 2011, 10:19 AM
I've enjoyed my Oskar II (x Hockey) daughter o/o a very good TB mare. She is 4 this year and the little I've done with her so far in the round pen and on the ground has been very rewarding. She is a stunning young lady with a lot of common sense and electricity and presence as well. I'll get her started as the weather gets better and I am sure she will be a pleasure. I started two Thoroughbred colts o/o her dam and they are both really smart with good work ethics. I won't keep her, but she is so beautiful with so much femininity and "class", she should have a wonderful career and then produce beautiful foals. I love Thoroughbreds, so the Trakehners sensitivity appeals to me.
PennyG

suzy
Jan. 28, 2011, 10:40 AM
Louise, Congratulations on your lovely stallion!!! I wondered if he might have Hohenstein--one of my favorites--in his pedigree, so I googled him. There is a beautiful video of him from two years ago on the net for those of you who are interested.

Also, I agree with Louise's comment about Trakehners taking longer to mature. If you keep that in mind during the training process, you will have a much easier time of it and be amply rewarded later!

jodyb
Jan. 28, 2011, 01:07 PM
Louise, I love your stallion! If I ever get back in the breeding game, he's one that's definitely on my list for my Trak mare (discussed on p1 of this thread).

GreyStreet
Jan. 28, 2011, 01:41 PM
My mare is a Trak, and I am definitely a fan. I didn't know much about the breed before I purchased her, but I have done some research, and the history of the breed itself is very fascinating!
I have seen bits and pieces of negative stories regarding Traks on this board, maybe not so much in this forum, but I recall a thread maybe on the Hunter/Jumper forum where opinions on the breed were mixed. I suppose that's going to be the case with any breed.
From my limited experience, knowing just my mare, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Trak. My mare might have the best mind of any horse I've known, apart from my old gelding. She is in no way a dead head, but she is smart, sensible, and knows how to go into business mode when necessary. She is teaching me the ropes of dressage and tolerates my mistakes, but when I do it right - it's totally worth it. She is challenging without being stupid - meaning she challenges me as a rider in all the right ways in terms of how to apply my aids correctly, etc.
My only disappointment is that I won't ever breed her - I wouldn't feel comfortable risking her life as an older mare. But now I finally understand why people with strong connections to their mares want to breed them. My only hope is that she will continue to remain sturdy and sound for many years to come, because she's a wonderful teacher.

acottongim
Jan. 28, 2011, 02:30 PM
Your fur babies are amazing Anissa, especially Tate! One of the kindest most respectful stallion I have seen!

awww thanks! Sure way to my heart is through Tate. :) He's such a lover.

stolensilver
Jan. 28, 2011, 03:51 PM
3 years ago I decided I was going to search the country for the best young dressage horse I could find. I was completely open minded about breed. After looking at literally dozens of youngsters of all sorts of bloodlines I finally found my horse. She was a 2yo Trakehner. By Le Rouge out of a King Arthur mare, out of the same damline as Kasimir.

3 years later she has well and truly repaid my faith in her. She has been national reserve champion youngstock trakehner as a 2yo, then national champion youngstock trakehner as a 3yo. Her biggest prize so far has been best 3yo dressage horse in the country, graded Elite and coming 12th out of 900 young horses (and I swear they judge the 3 year olds much more strictly than the foals!)

She is an angel both in and out of the stable. Under saddle she is always a lady. Eager to please, forward thinking, she concentrates on what you are asking her to do and thinks about it while she is in her stable so when she comes out the next time she is even better than the time before. You can give her a weeks holiday and she will be just as good as she was before the break. It is so nice to have a youngster that doesn't explode it they have a few days off. :)

As a rising 5yo she is doing w/t/c, lengthened strides in trot and canter with tidy transitions in and out. She leg yields beautifully, I've never had a horse go sideways with such ease. Her shoulder in is tidy and fluent. Her simple changes are very good upwards and she always gives the correct lead. Downwards she still isn't quite strong enough to step smoothly into walk but she's close.

She is just a darling. She is sensitive but in a good way. I love my Trakehner mare. :)

http://sporthorsedata.com/d?z=nMkAV8&d=woodcroft+kristabelle&x=0&y=0

CenterStage
Jan. 28, 2011, 03:55 PM
I have a Trakehner mare by Martini out of an Avignon II mare. She is my heart. Definitely hot but well worth it. I agree with Liz. She is the most people oriented horse I have ever met! Would not ever think of getting rid of her. Moves like a dream even though she is now in her teens:). Looks a lot like her daddy, I think. There are two still head shot pics of her on my website on the "About Diane" page. I too at one point very early on told a friend I would never have a Trakehner as they were considered too hot. Oh well, it is now a lifetime commitment!

TraksRuleDutchDrool
Jan. 30, 2011, 01:50 AM
My mare is a Trak, and I am definitely a fan. I didn't know much about the breed before I purchased her, but I have done some research, and the history of the breed itself is very fascinating!
I have seen bits and pieces of negative stories regarding Traks on this board, maybe not so much in this forum, but I recall a thread maybe on the Hunter/Jumper forum where opinions on the breed were mixed. I suppose that's going to be the case with any breed.
From my limited experience, knowing just my mare, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Trak. My mare might have the best mind of any horse I've known, apart from my old gelding. She is in no way a dead head, but she is smart, sensible, and knows how to go into business mode when necessary. She is teaching me the ropes of dressage and tolerates my mistakes, but when I do it right - it's totally worth it. She is challenging without being stupid - meaning she challenges me as a rider in all the right ways in terms of how to apply my aids correctly, etc.
My only disappointment is that I won't ever breed her - I wouldn't feel comfortable risking her life as an older mare. But now I finally understand why people with strong connections to their mares want to breed them. My only hope is that she will continue to remain sturdy and sound for many years to come, because she's a wonderful teacher.

What a great thread! Fancy I did see this sooner...lol!

Well, I think GreyStreet pretty nailed it, and I echo her opinion verbatim.

My trak is the kindest, most fun horse to be with. She is very level headed and has a ton of talent, more than I will ever be able to showcase. She is not a big horse, well she's tall enough (at least 16.1), but she's much finer than the other dressage horses at my barn, but she is well put together and is a big mover, plus I'm not a tall/big person, so her type suits me. She has personality and is sound/healthy.
I suppose a lot of people will fall in love with the breed of their horse, they will think it is the best because why would you think otherwise of what you own? But do your research, these horses have history, they have tradition, and they are in a part of all the other european breeds out there.

Mayflower Farm
Jan. 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
Love the stories, thank you! I saw two Trak/Tb's today, a colt and a filly, both were extremely people oriented and of course lovely movers. :)

I remember speaking to an European woman once and she said that Trakehners were bred for royalty and therefore have a somewhat more sensitive nature. They are not farm horses lightened to make sport horses. Interesting comment I thought. Certainly my boy expected the royal treatment! That being said, I have never come across a horse that you could hack down the road one day and take to a show the next and be a superstar at both.

Btw, I LOVE "TraksRuleDutchDrool" LOL, great name!

Megaladon
Jan. 30, 2011, 03:27 PM
I don't own any but have had some experience with them. One was a barely started greenie gelding, I was literally his first rider, he had been just "sat on" before. So I was on him, with his trainer holding the longe, and we were trotting around (very lovely movement!) and outside the arena a young kid completely wipes out on his bike!! Made quite the ruckus--the horse was FINE!! Handled it like an old schooly. :)

Then there was another older mare (late teens), who was very nice and an excellent, patient teacher.

They are smart. I was riding my TB (who was an extravagant show-off) in an arena, practicing some dressage moves. My friend was riding a Trak, and the Trak wanted to do dressage (he was trained to 3/4 level) and was getting mad because my friend wasn't letting him do his 'thing' (she was more into jumping). He pitched a fit right in the middle of the arena--no one was hurt, but it was funny!! :lol:

Good luck in your search! :)

Louise Leatherdale
Feb. 1, 2011, 11:46 AM
I should have added in my discussion re our Herzensdeib that in fact our magnificent stallion His Highness (that passed away several years ago) was the son of Trakehner stallion Hohenstein (Caprimond.) I have never seen such amazing temperment and rideability passed on to offspring! Hot he was not....gifted, unique, beautiful and now missed every single day. This was a Trakehner heart! Louise

purplnurpl
Feb. 1, 2011, 12:33 PM
I had an old school type. small, hot, red, from a stallion named Sobek.
I almost had a grave--It would have read, "My horse was made in Poland"

I also had a new age TK out of Tzigane Pb.
Amazing. really amazing creature. Big confident curious eyes. Great brain. Great go-getum attitude. VERY smart.
Amazing.

eventer_mi
Feb. 1, 2011, 01:06 PM
Ok, I usually don't post on here because people tend to ignore me, but I have a Trakehner gelding by Oskar II (Hockey), and he's my equine soul-mate. Has a huge heart, will try and try for you, very sensitive, but I wouldn't call him hot. Can have a bit of a spook but he then marches right on up to what spooked him and tries to mouth it.

He's definitely a people horse. He loves everybody, and everybody loves him. You can't leave anything within reach of him because he'll play with it - he flooded his stall because of the lever being within reach, has taken the ballcap off my farrier, etc. Loads of presence and I get compliments on him wherever I go.

i'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I didn't know much about Traks until I got my first mare (Trak x Han), and she was a lazy soul. Then, I've come across a few more and a couple of them have been dingbats, so I'd choose my bloodlines carefully.

netg
Feb. 1, 2011, 01:16 PM
Are Oskar II babies typically spectacular movers, or was it just the one I saw? He's the one I mentioned previously whose owner I hope posts about him on this board. He's going to be over 17hh, super sweet and a fabulous mover!

whicker
Feb. 1, 2011, 02:11 PM
I have a trak mare whose breeding is a bit of a mystery to me. I would like to know more about her background, what those horses were know for.
She is by Iwitness who is by Laiken,by Schiwago, then Tannenberg.Laiken's dam was Lonka by Heros, dam, Lohe.

Iwitness dam, Inge by Radom by Mahagoni, dam Rega. Inge's dam was Isola by Schabernack, dam Isabel.

Dam is Welcome Aboard, by Zauberklang, by Prince Conde, By Prince Rouge xx, dam Korviglia.
Zauberklang's dam was Zauberspiel by Impuls, dam, Zauberlied.

Wecome Aboard's dam was Existing Wind xx, by Lost Green xx, by Green Flash xx, dam Africander xx
Existing Wind's dam wasExisting xx, by Old Beau xx out of Sea Wind xx.

My mare looks more like an endurance Arabian. She is small, about 15.3h and very short backed. She is courageous, sensitive and extraordinarily intelligent. She rules the herd, even though she is the smallest. She is very agile and powerful, like a porsche. It took time for her to decide that I was her person. She is a one person horse, and jealous if another horse shows interest in me, or worse, I'm showing interest back.

She has a tiny muzzle, thick lips, low palateand very sensitive mouth. I am curious if any of you have run into that shape of mouth and how you bitted. I'm thinking about trying a Micklem bridle as an experiment. she is going now in a mullen mouth eggbutt.

nls
Feb. 1, 2011, 03:19 PM
I breed and start them in dressage in Central Florida. I have a few for sale. If you would like to contact me we can see if what I have matches your needs. Its a great time of year to visit Florida!
Nancy

tntrak
Feb. 1, 2011, 03:53 PM
I have bred Trakehners for 25 yrs. and throughly love the breed. My foundation broodmare is now 30 and is still healthy and the herd boss. They are an intelligent breed that is not bullied into submission.They will give you their all if you form a bond with them. They are great horses with immense talent.

Liz Steacie
Feb. 1, 2011, 05:15 PM
I have had several part Trakehners over the last 20 years (Um, in fact, I still have most of them), including my now 27 year old former Grand Prix horse Maxwell, and my current Grand Prix horse Spotless. Max is by the stallion my parents imported in 1974 (Kenner by a Donauwind son out of a mare by Kassio). My Spotless is sired by a Paint stallion out of a Trakehner mare whose name was Saratoga, but I have no papers for him, so I know nothing else about her.

I just bought a 4 year old Hanoverian gelding who is by Hofrat (Gribaldi), out of a Weltmeyer/Donnerhall dam, so that makes him half Trakehner too!

I have always had good luck with my part Trakehners, and I am hoping this new horse will continue the tradition :-)

TKR
Feb. 1, 2011, 05:17 PM
I would say my Oskar filly is a pretty spectacular mover and a "look at me" presence. She does not have alot of high knee stuff, but has shoulder freedom and use of her hocks, super balance and really struts around. Although quite 'electric' when she is showing off, also quite sensible and sweet, although has an opinion -- which her dam also has in a good way. She should mature around 16.1 or so, lovely type. When we finally get some constant spring weather, I can start getting on -- I had bred her to keep, but now I'm downsizing, so I am going to liquidate all but one young horse, which is a Thoroughbred. I've bred Thoroughbreds for 30 years and the TB is a culmination of the bloodlines I've incorporated over the years.
PennyG

katarine
Feb. 1, 2011, 05:39 PM
My instructor has a LOVELY Trak mare I've only ridden once (so far) and she's lovely lovely lovely- if you think laterally, she's there to offer it. Her willingness and ability to read what you are asking for and meet you and offer it and go go go is a pleaser and you must ride her with your body. I am sorry I do not know her breeding, but she's definitely given me a good impression of them as atheletes with a brain and a load of heart...if you are not faint of heart :)

ace**
Feb. 1, 2011, 05:45 PM
I sent you a pm with links to a bunch of Trakhener breeder websites in BC...I will be contacting some of those farms in a few months looking for my next horse!

acottongim
Feb. 1, 2011, 09:27 PM
Are Oskar II babies typically spectacular movers, or was it just the one I saw? He's the one I mentioned previously whose owner I hope posts about him on this board. He's going to be over 17hh, super sweet and a fabulous mover!

By and large YES! I have bred my 3/4 T'bred mare to him three times. The two fillies are very similar in movement and they get that in spades from daddy. My 2007 filly has won everything that she can in hand (there are several on this board who have seen her in person and can vouch when I say that she is "all that and a bag of chips" LOL), the colt(gelding) is more "hunter" in movement - more in line with the dam, BUT he did get a better reach iwth his shoulder and a better hind end (both from sire). He also produces LEG. :)

netg
Feb. 2, 2011, 12:38 PM
By and large YES! I have bred my 3/4 T'bred mare to him three times. The two fillies are very similar in movement and they get that in spades from daddy. My 2007 filly has won everything that she can in hand (there are several on this board who have seen her in person and can vouch when I say that she is "all that and a bag of chips" LOL), the colt(gelding) is more "hunter" in movement - more in line with the dam, BUT he did get a better reach iwth his shoulder and a better hind end (both from sire). He also produces LEG. :)

You just completely described this horse I fell in love with, but wasn't ready for.

I am very seriously considering talking to the breeder about a custom breeding to Oskar II for a baby for me for my next dressage horse... after the barn's built and I'm able to either sell my house/rent it out. (Not paying a mortgage and not paying board will certainly make another horse more affordable!)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Feb. 3, 2011, 12:27 PM
Describe my Trakehner (he's also half TB)? OK, well, I am totally smitten with him. He's a wonderful horse, has a sweet and very affectionate personality. He will test me when bored, he does not like to be bored. I do not think I will ever NOT have a Trakehner. I love their minds, their movement and their expression.