PDA

View Full Version : Show attire, mix-n-match?

hntrjmprpro45
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
Sorry to bring up another clothing thread! I know it is perfectly acceptable to wear a hunt coat, tan breeches and field boots in lower level dressage but is it acceptable to mix n match? For example, if I buy dress boots do I need to go ahead and buy a dressage coat and white breeches? Or could you wear a dressage coat with field boots? By the way, this would be for a USDF rated show but just level 1 or 2.

Also, I have already bought a stock tie... can I wear it with a normal hunter show shirt (obviously wearing the tie rather than the collar) or is a dressage show shirt better? I know from reading descriptions in catalogs that the dressage shirts have loops to help secure the stock tie, but does it really make that big of a difference? Also, I was wondering why the dressage show shirts seem to mostly be short sleeved and many are colorful or made from a more "technical" fabric (like the romfh shirts).

Thanks in advance! I just don't want to look like a doofus! I always cringe when I see oddly attired individuals at hunter shows and would not want to commit some serious dressage attire faux pas.

yaya
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, you can mix and match. Dress boots with hunt coat, or field boots with a dressage coat. And as long as your breeches are light-colored, that's fine too.

Stock tie can be worn over your hunt shirt - heck, I know people who wear them with T-shirts under their coat, as long as it doesn't show. All you should really see is the stock tie if you do it right.

Most dressage shirts are short-sleeved or technical material because it gets hot under those darn coats!