PDA

View Full Version : Why do I read craigslist????

Ibex
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:54 AM
Your 22 year old horse did all that for you and you can't do better by him than $500 on Craigslist...? :no:

TB Gelding school master must go
"Horse X" is a 1989 TB gelding; He is a former one star horse and area VII preliminary reserved champion. "Horse X" took me through the levels of Eventing and was my Young Rider mount."Horse X" has a great attitude and would love to be put back into light work even some jumping! Perfect for a secondary lesson horse, knows all the ropes! Or would be perfectly happy as a pasture pal! "Horse X" hauls, clips and baths, is registered with the Jockey Club, and recently updated on ALL vaccines and teeth float!
Sold only to good permanent home! Asking 500$ OBO.

Trakehner
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:44 AM
I can just hear her thinking, "But, what have you done for me lately?"

How sad but not a surprise. That horse should be vested/owed a good retirement and is being kicked to the kerb. Very sad and really makes me angry. Surprised she didn't list an aging dog and her parents too!

I only gave away one old horse...and that was to an old lady who always wanted a horse.

belleellis
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:35 AM
I wish I could board another. I would love something to tote my wanna be dumb non distance seeing ars around tadpole!
I saw a NICE pony yesterday on CL. 14.2 22 years old did everything, kid safe $500 b/c they had to board it.

Selling him on craigslist and rehoming one to someone you know (like Trakehner, we also did that with hubbys old trail horse 23 year old horse teaching 63 year old lady to ride - gave her to my dressage instructors MIL) are two totally different things.

KateWooten
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:42 AM
Poor old feller - what an ironic name.

Ibex
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:30 AM
"Horse X" was to hide the name... if you want the real name/location, let me know...

And I have no problem with rehoming an older horse to the perfect home, but selling for $500 on Craigslist is not likely to get you that :no:

belleellis
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:59 AM
yup that was my point. I can see rehoming him to someone you know. Maybe another eventer who has a young child starting out? Or an older lady who has always wanted to try eventing? Or just someone who is a big chicken like me. Selling him for $500 on CL is just wrong.

KateWooten
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
Umm.... yes, when you look him up, his name is somewhat ironic, isn't it ?

(Yes, I do get that "HorseX" is Not His Real Name)

Ibex
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:26 AM
D'oh, sorry. It's early, and I haven't finished my coffee. Yes, the real name is ironic too :(

CiegoStar
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
I can only imagine the owner has fallen on very hard times. Other than that this is pretty disgusting.

Mtn trails
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
I saw that ad too and it's very sad. I rehomed a 23 year old appy who was definitely not ready or needing to retire to a mom and her daughter (teen) who were experienced riders/horse owners but wanted another horse who was good on trails. That mare lived a life of luxury and ruled the roost until they day they had her humanely put down.

We have an elderly horse (25) who is stove up with arthritis but has his good days with bucking and playing up a storm. Some people we know told my husband he should take him up to Stanwood (way point for slaughter bound horses) and sell him, at least he'd get $150 bucks out of him! :mad::mad: After he has served so well for so many years that's a great way to reward him. What more can we squeeze out of him?:mad:

Eventfan4LIFE
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:03 PM
The icing on the cake is" $500...OBO!!!

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:09 PM
Poor guy :( Just saw the ad....the name is ironic :( I can't even imagine...hey this is the horse that taught me everything and took me to young riders...oh hey $500 obo!! I hate people who do stuff like this to their horses :( My trainer has a 21 year old horse who taught her everything...he has a permanent home at the farm! Ugh, why are there people like this out there...:(
He has such a sweet face too :(

GingerJumper
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:13 PM
I actually purchased my horse off of Craigslist for next to nothing. He's an Appy cross, possibly foundation stock though, and the BEST horse I have ever ridden. He's solid 1st/2nd level dressage and the best jumper I know, including my friends' fancy schmancy horses, cause guess what? He gets his spots no questions asked, theirs need loads of help. XD

I do agree though, it is sad to see "Horse X" go that way :/

shawneeAcres
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
Well.. here is my take on it. This is not such a bad thing (asking $500) as I KNOW someone sort of in our area (she is in S. Virginia) who regularly scours the ads for free horses. She TELLS people waht a great home they are getting, they are for the grandkids etc and she is a HORSETRADER. She gets them and then resells them. I know because I bought one from her and found out later (when the prior owner contacted me) the REAL story!

purplnurpl
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:37 PM
it's hard to judge.

sometimes due to the economy you need to cut your losses. It's sad but these days you often have to PAY people to take a free horse. Especially an older one.

she may very well have had him up for sale on a site and received no bites.

She most likely doesn't know about COTH. : )

at least the add didn't say,
come get this horse--I'm done with him.

Xctrygirl
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:42 PM
This is a amazing batch of hypocricy...

So she can't afford to keep the 22 yr old warrior but rather than just put him down, she tries to let him have a "good PERMANENT home."

Man.... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

~Emily

ltmac
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:44 PM
This honestly breaks my heart.

shea'smom
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:01 PM
where ?

eventamy
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:07 PM
I'm in the market for a horse and I check the Craigslists in my area EVERY day, sometimes 2-3x a day to try and find something like this guy! I don't see any problem with putting it out there. She doesn't have to sell him and maybe she'll find a great home (like mine!) through Craigslist that maybe she wouldn't have found otherwise. If she checks references, does a home check etc it could really be a great way to find an old guy a great home! My princess pony was a giveaway on equine.com and I thank my lucky stars every day that I answered that ad!

Mtn trails
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:14 PM
where ?

Washington Statel; Kitsap County to be specific.

OrangeCat
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:16 PM
"would love to be put back into light work even some jumping!"

By the sound of this, I am guessing he's not sound? Not that that makes this okay in any way, shape or form. :mad: Poor critter, I Googled him and he has such a sweet face.

jn4jenny
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:18 PM
where ?

Google says "Seattle."

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/grd/2178752868.html

Honestly--and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this--I don't think it's necessarily so bad. The text of this ad could reflect "I am washing my hands of this horse and don't care about him" but it could also reflect "This horse owes me nothing and unexpected circumstances dictate that I must rehome him, but I want to weed out some of the crazees by using certain turns of speech that will help them understand that I care about this horse."

For example, $500/obo could mean "I'll take any price, he's gotta go no matter what" or it could mean "I wish to express that this horse is not just fodder for the meat market, and I understand that his monetary value in this awful horse market is much lower than he may be worth to me. But to the RIGHT HOME I would even be willing to give this horse away, and I don't want people to walk away from this horse just because they don't have $500 in cash but might have a lovely farm etc." The "permanent home" requirement could suggest the same desire to find a buyer who will value this been-there-done-that horse for what he can still very offer a rider. A horse that's still sound for flatwork and light jumping at 22 after having gone all the way to Prelim has probably been well cared for, and people who bother to keep caring for a horse that long instead of selling him on at age 16-17-18 are generally pretty invested in their horse's future.

Possibly the owner doesn't understand what she owes this horse, but possibly she is in a situation where she tried to do right by this horse and it's fallen through--for example, her parents retired the horse on their own farm when the girl went off to college, but now 3-5-7-10 years later the parents have fallen on hard financial times and they are heartbroken that they have to rehome their horses. And this, unfortunately, is one of those horses.

Yes, it's a Pollyanna reading and the chances of finding a great home for such a horse (especially in this economy) are awful. But as someone else here has said, at least she didn't sell the horse at auction or give him to the first taker. I prefer not to get on Craigslist and shake my finger at people unless they have very clearly shown their idiocy.

ndirish07
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:35 PM
This makes me downright mad. Especially when I've been looking for my first horse since June and would kill to have a sweet, nice horse like the one in the ad. Even though I haven't bought a horse yet, I've already accepted that I'm not parting with him/her--- that horse has a forever home with me. I couldn't sleep because I'd wonder every night where my horse went and hoped they were happy and well cared for. I plan on learning what I can from my first horse and then getting my long-term boyfriend going with that horse (he's expressed a lot of interest!))

ManyDogs
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
You read craigslist for the same reason I look at all of the county dog shelter websites....I wish I would stop but I can't....

NRB
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:59 PM
If she can afford to pay for the horse to take her up through the levels and be a young rider horse, then she can afford to care for him in his retirement. Period. She had the money when he gave her something so now the money's gone? I really dont think so. But I guess I'm an old sourpuss.

Couture TB
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:37 PM
If he was closer to me I'd pick him up and give him to my husband :( This is why my friend was given my upper level horse when I decided he couldn't do hard competition anymore. She has had him for 7 years and he is happy, healthy, and is sound (ish :lol:) . That horse owed me nothing, and even today if she couldn't keep him anymore I would either take him back or shell out the board at a retirement facility. But if anyone wants to give him a free ride to WI he can come live with me and baby sit the young horses in the field and take my husband for hacks

goodmorning
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:46 PM
I hope he gets a good home. Not willing to pass judgment on those whose situation I know little about.

KateWooten
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
This makes me downright mad. Especially when I've been looking for my first horse since June and would kill to have a sweet, nice horse like the one in the ad. Even though I haven't bought a horse yet, I've already accepted that I'm not parting with him/her--- that horse has a forever home with me. I couldn't sleep because I'd wonder every night where my horse went and hoped they were happy and well cared for. I plan on learning what I can from my first horse and then getting my long-term boyfriend going with that horse (he's expressed a lot of interest!))

I'm not sure I follow you. You would love to buy a horse like the one that's for sale, but you're mad at the seller for wanting to sell a horse that you'd want to someone like you ?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:01 PM
If he was closer to me I'd pick him up and give him to my husband :( This is why my friend was given my upper level horse when I decided he couldn't do hard competition anymore. She has had him for 7 years and he is happy, healthy, and is sound (ish :lol:) . That horse owed me nothing, and even today if she couldn't keep him anymore I would either take him back or shell out the board at a retirement facility. But if anyone wants to give him a free ride to WI he can come live with me and baby sit the young horses in the field and take my husband for hacks

Call them and see if they will send him to you. It could be that they just need him to go to a good home. And your offer may be the best one they get. Ad says only to a good perm home....it may be just that. I wouldn't judge them as dumping him just based on that ad.

ndirish07
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:18 PM
Let me clarify: It makes me mad when I see horses, or any animal for that matter, that is cast aside when I'd do anything to have my own. Moreover, I know when my horse can no longer do what I want to do at 22 years old, I wouldn't turn around a put them on craigslist for $500 obo. I feel they've earned their retirement and deserve to not to be passed around and end up wherever.

Now for the caveat, that's my opinion on how I'm going to be with my horse. I don't know that owner's situation nor do I know what all they've done to find a good home for the horse. Maybe they have tried... I don't know. I guess the best way to summarize how I feel that I feel bad for the horse.

Blacktree
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:30 PM
I know this horse, he belongs to a girl that used to show with the same trainer as I did. He is WONDERFUL - a really great, honest guy. He is the same age as my old TB, who is still doing light regular flatwork with occasional small jumps, too. I haven't talked to this owner for a few years, but she always seemed to be a nice, very responsible horse owner. I am surprised that she's listing him on CL instead of supporting him through his retirement years, but she is young and may not have the option to support him right now. I am also saddened frequently by older horses being listed on CL, but having shown with this particular person for years, I truly don't think her intention is to 'get rid of' a horse she no longer has a use for. She may just be looking for a nice light riding home so he won't go to waste. I know my 22yr old TB still wants a job, even though he is no longer what I need as a rider. This is why I have him 1/2 leased right now to a wonderful lady who is perfect for him - he gets regular love, attention and light rides and I get the joy of seeing that he is still sound and happy and has something to do instead of just sitting around in the pasture. The $500 obo could be a way to try to screen people a bit. I wouldn't ever list a horse for free myself bc I'd be afraid that anyone would feel entitled to come and take them, regardless of the home they would offer. My guess is that she knows at his age he isn't worth $ but wants to have some control over where he goes. She would probably give him to the right home.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in him I can certainly vouch for what a lovely, sweet horse he is. If we had room, he would be at our place in a heartbeat. He would be a fabulous light-work schoolhorse.

\/ jn4jenny, thanks for your post. I really think (having known this person) that your thoughts are closer to what she intended...

Honestly--and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this--I don't think it's necessarily so bad. The text of this ad could reflect "I am washing my hands of this horse and don't care about him" but it could also reflect "This horse owes me nothing and unexpected circumstances dictate that I must rehome him, but I want to weed out some of the crazees by using certain turns of speech that will help them understand that I care about this horse."

For example, $500/obo could mean "I'll take any price, he's gotta go no matter what" or it could mean "I wish to express that this horse is not just fodder for the meat market, and I understand that his monetary value in this awful horse market is much lower than he may be worth to me. But to the RIGHT HOME I would even be willing to give this horse away, and I don't want people to walk away from this horse just because they don't have $500 in cash but might have a lovely farm etc." The "permanent home" requirement could suggest the same desire to find a buyer who will value this been-there-done-that horse for what he can still very offer a rider. A horse that's still sound for flatwork and light jumping at 22 after having gone all the way to Prelim has probably been well cared for, and people who bother to keep caring for a horse that long instead of selling him on at age 16-17-18 are generally pretty invested in their horse's future.

Possibly the owner doesn't understand what she owes this horse, but possibly she is in a situation where she tried to do right by this horse and it's fallen through--for example, her parents retired the horse on their own farm when the girl went off to college, but now 3-5-7-10 years later the parents have fallen on hard financial times and they are heartbroken that they have to rehome their horses. And this, unfortunately, is one of those horses.

Yes, it's a Pollyanna reading and the chances of finding a great home for such a horse (especially in this economy) are awful. But as someone else here has said, at least she didn't sell the horse at auction or give him to the first taker. I prefer not to get on Craigslist and shake my finger at people unless they have very clearly shown their idiocy.

Blacktree
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:35 PM
Wanted to add that he is a narrow, weedy TB type. He would probably be a great light riding horse or lesson horse for kids but I don't think he would be an ideal 'husband horse' simply because of his size/build (even though he has an A++ temperament).

Blacktree
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:48 PM
"would love to be put back into light work even some jumping!"

By the sound of this, I am guessing he's not sound? Not that that makes this okay in any way, shape or form. :mad: Poor critter, I Googled him and he has such a sweet face.

I think this just has to do with his age. I described my old guy similarly when I was interviewing leasors for him. He's sound (so can still do some small jumps) but I didn't want them to think that he should still be doing what he used to (Prelim/Intermediate).

jevousaime
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:03 PM

There is always the problem with selling horses.

We sold a horse that I outgrew when I was younger, and she went to a good home. I recently googled the horse's name, and it turns out that she is shown by some 4-H kid, looks incredibly unhappy and very underweight. I e-mailed the owner telling that I am a previous owner and would like to buy her back if she is for sell, and if she isn't contact me when she is.

Unfortunately, I never got an answer.

To reply to the OP, I've seen so many horses listed on craigslist in my area it is not funny. Although, the majority of mine are something along the lines of "I got this horse, it's pretty skinny, needs a home NOW you can come any day or night to pick 'em up." It just breaks my heart.

Joannie Jumper
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:06 PM
Going back to your own heading - WHY CRAIGSLIST? Because its a dumping ground and I see ads like that all the time. SAD. But my bet is most of these people dont want to sell their horses - would love to keep them if they could. But there are 2 types - people who ride for sport and have no issues selling the horse when he cant do the job and those who feel a responsibility for the horse later in life.

We cant judge this girl since we dont know all the facts.

But as a parent - sounds like she got this horse as a preteen? Honestly, I feel that parents have to be involved when they buy animals for their kids - like I have a 7 year old daughter and she has a pony. I fully intend to take care of him forever if I need to.

So I think its sad. And I think that economic times are hard on everyone and we cant pass judgement. But I want to mention that there is another angle - parents who buy horses for their kids....

Also, everyone should have a plan if their horse needed to be retired tomorrow. If you are under 18, your parents are likely to take care of your 'estate' but those of you not under parental care anymore - you should have a plan if anything were to happen to you or you lost your job. Have a special horse account or have a few friends with land even if 3 hours away.... have a LIST of retirements.... etc.

jevousaime
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:15 PM
ads like this on craigslist is what REALLY makes me depressed: http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/2160448892.html

Ibex
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:37 PM
I think it just really hits a nerve with me. We have a nice kid in our barn who is off to school. She still has her first horse, who is about the same age as this one, maybe slightly younger. Not an easy ride, and not really saleable. Kid knows it, and wants to retire him. The catch? Mom won't pay retirement board. Wants him gone yesterday. And it's not a case of money (Mom just bought herself a new Jag). They settled on "looking for a lease"... it won't happen. He's not up to working at the level of rider it takes to make go. We're all terrified what's going to happen to him.

Blacktree
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:52 PM
ads like this on craigslist is what REALLY makes me depressed: http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/2160448892.html

Agreed.

I am glad that my husband understands that my old guy will be in our lives as long as he lives. After all he has done for me I feel like it is my responsibility to make sure he is happy and healthy for the rest of his life. Ads like the one above where they 'have to go now or they'll go to auction!' - especially if it's an older horse - make me very sad. It makes me sad to see this guy for sale, too, but I know his owner would never, ever send him to an auction and must just be looking for a good home for him. My own oldster is a jock and gets depressed if he doesn't have a job (typical TB). Maybe she sees that her old guy is not happy just sitting out in a field. If she's away in college (seems like she'd be about that age now) and doesn't happen to know someone that would be interested in keeping him going (at an age-appropriate level), maybe it could be the right thing for him if she found the right home.

myhorsefaith
Jan. 26, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hmm, I guess I'm not so sure that craigslist is just a dumping ground.

Sure, there are a lot of nutters out there- and once they learn to type we all suffer.

BUT CL is also a thriving marketplace. I've bought, sold items AND horses on CL and while I've had to screen out the bad ones that both email me and post ridiculous ads, I've also made some really neat connections with people in the local horse community. I've also gotten and given really good deals.

I am local to this horse, and I'm not ready to pounce on her bc she listed this guy. Who knows what the circumstances are- but I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

I know from experience these things CAN and DO go well. I sold a great grade gelding on CL (he was also listed elsewhere and got so many looky-loos) for a song to a great young girl who was and is thrilled to have him. And he really, really likes her too- far more than he ever liked me.

i guess my point is to go along with the others who say it COULD be a good thing that he's posted on CL.

magnolia73
Jan. 27, 2011, 03:12 PM
It sounds like she has an older horse who can still work a bit and wants a good life for him. Who knows, maybe she is unemployed now, sick, caring for her parents. It's not against the law to sell a horse, nor is it wrong. Maybe the horse will be sold into a better situation. Craigslist is a good place to post things... hell, don't we all look on there for things?

Brandy76
Jan. 27, 2011, 03:59 PM
There is always the problem with selling horses.

We sold a horse that I outgrew when I was younger, and she went to a good home. I recently googled the horse's name, and it turns out that she is shown by some 4-H kid, looks incredibly unhappy and very underweight. I e-mailed the owner telling that I am a previous owner and would like to buy her back if she is for sell, and if she isn't contact me when she is.

Unfortunately, I never got an answer.

To reply to the OP, I've seen so many horses listed on craigslist in my area it is not funny. Although, the majority of mine are something along the lines of "I got this horse, it's pretty skinny, needs a home NOW you can come any day or night to pick 'em up." It just breaks my heart.

good for you for trying to connect with your old horse, but wouldn't you want to know about the unhappy/underweight? Not judging at all, but if I could find a horse I had, and had the resources to buy back, AND it looked "incredibly unhappy and very underweight" I would stay on it until I at least spoke to the current owner.

kmw2707
Jan. 27, 2011, 05:00 PM

Ha Ha! I thought of the same thing when I read this thread and was going to post along the lines "I was given this ex-eventer"....

Anyway, Pest is healthy and happy.

jevousaime
Jan. 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
good for you for trying to connect with your old horse, but wouldn't you want to know about the unhappy/underweight? Not judging at all, but if I could find a horse I had, and had the resources to buy back, AND it looked "incredibly unhappy and very underweight" I would stay on it until I at least spoke to the current owner.

I'm unsure how else to get ahold of them. My guess is that the email I sent them must be with an account that is never checked. I tried searching in the phone book at yellowpages.com and also googling their names but I just don't get anything up. I reckon I could try calling their county 4-h represenative?

Brandy76
Jan. 27, 2011, 06:19 PM
I'm unsure how else to get ahold of them. My guess is that the email I sent them must be with an account that is never checked. I tried searching in the phone book at yellowpages.com and also googling their names but I just don't get anything up. I reckon I could try calling their county 4-h represenative?

I was thinking about that - what if the e mail account is old or something. I am so sorry - it must be frustrating! But that is a good idea about the 4 h rep.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Outyougo
Jan. 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
A friend of mine knows this guy

"Lovely horse! I rode him at Donida about 10 years ago in his first prelim before XXXXX bought him and I missed the last jump xc, the eliminated! Way cool horse - loved him dearly."

Likely current owner is in a bit of a muddle pass ad along to Seattle area Peeps

TBrescue
Jan. 27, 2011, 11:40 PM
He looks so much like my horse, who is only 2 years younger. I hope he finds a good home :)

Couture TB
Jan. 28, 2011, 08:27 AM
Ha Ha! I thought of the same thing when I read this thread and was going to post along the lines "I was given this ex-eventer"....

Anyway, Pest is healthy and happy.

Going to with us to the dressage shows this year with the old man?