PDA

View Full Version : share your warm-up ring horror stories!

ridexc
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:51 AM
I'm collecting a few warm-up ring horror stories. From rudeness to outright dangerous behavior, I'd like to hear what happened and how you handled it! Please share and I'll follow up with you via PM. Thanks! :winkgrin:

Cowgirl
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:44 AM
Hmm, this isn't rudeness or anything like that. But my warmup ring horror stories have all involved loose horses.

Parents, trainers, PLEASE check the girth before you let a kid on her horse at a show!! LOL! And check it again too! Not only did the saddle slide around and the kid fall off, but the horse took off with the stirrups hitting it and crashed into several other horses, who um, ejected their riders as well....then the horse galloped through the facility through THREE of the show arenas....and the show had to be stopped until they could catch him....When they finally DID catch him, the tween and her mom saw that he had sprung a shoe. Not about to miss her NEXT class, the tween took her horse over to the show farrier, without putting the horse in a stall first to come down from the adrenalin rush and the farrier, not knowing this was THE horse that stopped the show, went to take a look and got DOUBLE BARRELED and put in the hospital....sigh.

The other one was a loose horse at championships who ran from the stalls where he was presumably being untacked into the warmup ring where I was about 10 minutes from my championship class...it was my friend's horse who had just completed her ride in our class! Horse was immediately caught, or it could have been a disaster....

cyndi
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:05 AM
I was at a show once and had a very kind, submissive young horse. It was not his first show and he was fine with company at that point.

One trainer on a firebreathing monster kept passing us very close. We were on the outside rail and had nowhere to go. The trainer laughed each time he flew by and saw my horse cringing. Finally he actually slammed into us, and my horse hit the wall. At that point my horse became totally unrideable in company. If a horse came too close, he would kick or bolt - and this is a horse who was the most mild mannered pleasant horse even to other horses. I could not even show him because of his fear of other horses after this incident. It took years before I could ever even warm up in a ring with other horses. I had (and have) my own place and it's really difficult to get a horse over this sort of incident when you ride by yourself all the time. It took YEARS but by trail riding, and actually doing 25-mile endurance rides for fun, he finally got to where I could show him in dressage, where he was in the class by himself - and we just 'managed' the warm up. I could never have ever shown him in a rail class again.

This was a long time ago. If I knew then what I know now I would have reported the "trainer" to the steward and filed a complaint against him.

SmartAlex
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Largest County Fair in America. Night class. Lead my horse out of the barn to mount and hear the beginning of the very large fireworks display begin. Decide the safest place is on the horse. Proceed to warm up while the fireworks display is launched from the parking lot next to the warm-up arena.

You would think the fair officials would notify the horse show officials of such things.

Thank God it was a Saddlebred. The war horse ancestors saw us through.

BetterOffRed
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:03 AM
Fortunately, I've never had a bad experience in the warm up. Our warm ups are usually better than our actual tests, LOL! But I've been the ring steward enough times to see some bad stuff.

At one of our shows, there is a covered warm up arena. The rule was that the riders riding in the adjacent arena were priority. Because it was covered, there are a lot of people in that warm up from other arenas. We had a GP rider warming up a friesian stallion - well behaved, but doing lots of calling and snorting. The rider was well known, professional and very polite. She was going to be riding her warm up in the adjacent arena, so she had priority. At the same time, there was a kid warming up for up and down green as grass test that was taking place in another arena that was further out.

No one saw anything happen, but before you know it the mother of the kid is SCREAMING at the GP rider. Telling her to get out of the arena, she had no business bringing her stallion into the warm up and scaring her kid. The GP rider tried to calm the mother down, but the woman kept screaming at her and literally chased the rider out of the arena. We had to call the TD on the mom!

At another show, there was another rider that wouldn't give up the rail, so she got passed by another rider on the left- no problem right? The rider on the rail kicked the other rider's horse, and left a boot mark!

Big Spender
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
I try not to be "one of those riders"!! My young horse is deathly afraid of other horses near him. Not sure if this is because we work alone on a regular basis at home. I try my best to find the quietest place, away from everyone. I am always very relieved to get into the competition ring, because he just loves being by himself! One time we just stopped and stood still in warm-up until his heart rate came down. Poor thing, he was so scared :eek: In the 3 years I've had him it has gotten better, but a lot of riders don't pay attention to where they are in relation to others in warm-up. I'm glad he is excited to show, but I want him to save that energy for the ring. By the end of the day he is exhausted!

leilatigress
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:40 AM
DD is warming up before a show on plucky little pony. He takes really good care of his kids and doesn't tolerate other horses endangering his riders. Enter trainer from another barn on 17hh+ monster. It's snorting, blowing, dancing and really light on the front end. I will say that trainer could seriously ride and she was truly trying to get him under control. He decided to try out for the rodeo no one told him he was at and dislodges his rider. He's bucking and squealing and putting on an impressive show meanwhile we have riders vacating the ring like there is a fire. I'm manning the gates which means I cannot get to DD without letting the monster out. Pony is trying to get to us with his short little legs and is just not fast enough and keeps getting blocked. Finally he does the most perfect little piroette and I hear DD hollering at the monster horse to knock it off. Horse stops blows and pins his ears. Pony pins and stomps and charges. Monster backs down and I actually got my hands on his reins by now. Pony flags his tail and trots to the gate like aint no big deal.

carolprudm
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:55 AM
Riding my sweet gentle mare in the warmup at Foxcroft, just minding our own business when I suddenly had the head and neck of a very large stallion on my lap and heard very loud German curses behind me. I slammed my fist as hard as I could on the stallion's nose and he backed off but needless to say my mare was pretty shaken up.

German rider never apologized, continued on as if nothing had ever happened

ridexc
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks, everyone. I've PM'ed a few of you. Anyone else got a war story??

Megaladon
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:55 PM
Well let's see. It was a big event, had to travel a lot of miles to get there--had technical difficulties along the way which caused so much stress. Bad weather--it was freezing!

Anyway, had a stallion who was in tip-top shape. He was amped and probably stressed too plus feeding off of my crappy vibes. We get into the warm-up and proceed with some walk and graduate to a trot. I can feel he is tense but it's going ok. Then some person who was really whip happy comes along and beats the s--t! out of his horse right next to me--my horse loses it. He starts bucking/cantering (running) and I decide to dismount (Pony Club style) but he sorta flung me. Landed in nice soft dirt, bit of whip lash but otherwise fine.

The horse proceeds to just race around the arena full gallop and knocked the whole temp. dressage arena down that was JUST put up! :o I felt bad about that. My friend said that it looked as though the whip-happy person actually made contact with my horse hence his explosive reaction--I kinda have to wonder....:confused:

Carolprudm---Had a friend that happened to, only the stallion came from behind and wrapped his legs around her. :eek:

meaty ogre
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
I've never had a bad warm up at a dressage, eventing or horse trial type of show.

The worst warm-up incident I've had was at a hunter show when a trainer suddenly flung open the gate into the warm up ring to let his rider in as I was cantering down the rail. My horse did a sliding stop and got his front foot under the gate, panicked as he was backpedalling and threw his head up. The sudden stop had tipped me forward and I caught the force of his neck flying up with my nose, which bled pretty good for a while. The trainer casually said "excuse us" over his shoulder while I slid off and stumbled over to the EMT. I missed it as I was being tended to, but I heard that another trainer (not mine) reamed him out and that several people clapped when she was done.

The most chaotic warm-up ring I've ever seen and ridden in personally was at an arabian breed show. There was absolutely everything going on there. The show had all the regular arab classes plus they had arab sporthorse classes (dressage, western, hunt seat, saddleseat...all crammed into a relatively small ring). There was a junior rider on a handful of a stallion, there were people longing, and when I saw a lady driving a horse by the opening, I bailed out of there and decided I'd rather warm up in the parking lot if I had to. I had no idea what the driving lady was intending to do...there was no way she could get her horse in the warmup ring amidst all the chaos but it looked for all the world like that was her intent. I have no idea if it is a breed specific thing because that is the only arab show I've been to, but nobody else seemed the least bit concerned. I should have known something was up when the trainer clipped a walkie talkie on my boot and said, "Here, you'll need this to hear me...I'll be talking to you from over by the in gate." :) Probably should have been my first clue when the trainer was too smart to go in there on foot!

CobJockey
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
This was in equestrian team practice my freshman year of college, a situation very similar to a warm-up ring. It was winter, the horses had cabin fever, and we knew we had too many horses in there for the indoor, so the lower and upper level riders took turns cantering on the rail at the coach's discretion while the opposite group was supposed to stand in the middle of the ring.

I (a Walk-Trotter at the time) was cantering on the rail when an upper level girl riding her own horse, an OTTB she'd had for a while, decided to canter him out with us lower level riders since he was acting up and wouldn't stand still.

She passes me on the inside and then I see the OTTB's hind foot come flying toward me. The next thing I know, the sound of his shod hoof hitting my kneecap made a crack so loud it echoed, I crumple forward on my horse's neck (still cantering!), pull him up, slide off and collapsed into a heap on the ground. And that's the story of my first equine-related ER visit.

TBH, the best part of the whole story was going to the ER with a polo wrap - taken from my horse! - wrapped around my knee. You should've seen the look on the nurse's face.

paulosey
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
This didn't happen to me, but I sure was up close and personal to it.
I was grooming for my friend at a schooling dressage show. She wasn't a very experienced person and totally put her faith in the fact that everyone in the warm up knew the rule to pass left to left. I have been to enough shows to know better, but anyway...She was cantering her mare on the left rein, just inside the rail and there was another rider coming in the other direction on the rail, also at the canter. My friend assumed that they were going to pass left to left, so she rode onto the rail track and smack into the other horse. She was knocked off, her mare was loose and the other rider was livid. Morale of the story for me was, there are no hard and fast rules in the warm up...keep your head up and eyes peeled.

JMurray
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
Warming up for a class last year. Someone with a non-competing horse and their trainer decide to take over 1/3 of the ring with a huge young horse that was terrified of other horses coming near it and the horse would threaten any of us that tried to use the whole ring to do anything for our warm-up. Rider and trainer were terribly rude to any of us that asked them to leave or to be careful with our horses warming up for a BLM class. The ring steward would do nothing and was afraid to confront the trainer because he was so rude about having the right to work wherever they wanted to. So we were told to stay away from them. We were left with a small area where we could safely warm up.

Yes I could have gone to the office after the fact and complained, but it was too late at that point to have resolved it for us so we could have all the ring for warm-up.

Vesper Sparrow
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:51 PM
My five year old gelding was the one who could be accused of being rude and disorderly in the warmup ring this summer--though it was embarrassing and frustrating rather than really dangerous.

It was his first real summer of showing, aside from our in-house barn shows (where he had been an angel), and he tried every trick he could think of in the warmup: backing up, calling to all and sundry and trying to go out the in gate. He also tried to snake his head, pin his ears and bare his teeth at every horse we passed head-on. At one show, he reared and bucked when they tested the loudspeakers for the freestyle music. He got worse as the warmup went on so generally I would do the minimum: walk him around a bit, do a little trotting and then go do our test. We were only doing Intro, anyway.

Once he was inside the arena (I needed someone to lead me in a couple of times), he settled down somewhat, although he was tense, called to the other horses, and kicked out angrily when we halted at X. Needless to say, our scores were not great.

The final act was at a big show at the end of summer, with my trainer riding, when he backed all the way across the long diagonal in the very large warmup. Thankfully, it was the first thing in the morning and there was only one other horse in there.

We are hoping that, with more mileage, he will calm down a bit this summer!

netg
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:39 PM
I wasn't there, but it happened to my horse.... At a three day event the year before I bought him, my trainer was warming up for her stadium round. Two horses coming toward her, she expected to go to the inside until they split so she had to go between them. That would have been ok, except someone came racing up from behind them full steam, and collided with her head on. My horse stayed up, but the other horse went down. No injury, but needless to say horses and riders were shaken up - and apparently several people managed to tell the other rider it was all her stupid fault. My trainer was too busy trying to get ready, as it was 5 minutes before she went in the ring and now had a quite freaked out horse.

Unfortunately, my horse is now not quite so happy about other horses in warmup, so at my first schooling show with him there was a haflinger with a very RUDE rider who cantered up our butts, nearly hit us when she passed, then cut us off about 5 times. My horse decided he would rather chase this horse down with his teeth than listen to me by this point, so despite the fact this woman was riding her horse for an hour AFTER her last class, roughly, we just didn't warm up as well as we should for our class to avoid a huge scene and got out of dodge.

SmartAlex
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have no idea if it is a breed specific thing because that is the only arab show I've been to, but nobody else seemed the least bit concerned.

I think it's a breed thing. I groomed for an Arab/Morgan show barn two years, and those were like three ring circuses. Of course I've never been to a hunter/jumper show. I imagine that the jump warm ups can get pretty hectic, but at least you won't have anyone appearing with a fine harness buggy!

leilatigress
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:57 PM
Oh I do love the arab show warm ups. Never a dull moment in there! I used to whisper to a lovely mare far too full of herself if she didn't straighten up I'd use her for a buggy horse. She would stand in perfect form and just slouch without the encouragement. Irony would have it she indeed was used for harness and kicked royal butt at it a few years later.

2BayPonies
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:00 PM
Best pony story ever!!! Love it :)

DD is warming up before a show on plucky little pony. He takes really good care of his kids and doesn't tolerate other horses endangering his riders. Enter trainer from another barn on 17hh+ monster. It's snorting, blowing, dancing and really light on the front end. I will say that trainer could seriously ride and she was truly trying to get him under control. He decided to try out for the rodeo no one told him he was at and dislodges his rider. He's bucking and squealing and putting on an impressive show meanwhile we have riders vacating the ring like there is a fire. I'm manning the gates which means I cannot get to DD without letting the monster out. Pony is trying to get to us with his short little legs and is just not fast enough and keeps getting blocked. Finally he does the most perfect little piroette and I hear DD hollering at the monster horse to knock it off. Horse stops blows and pins his ears. Pony pins and stomps and charges. Monster backs down and I actually got my hands on his reins by now. Pony flags his tail and trots to the gate like aint no big deal.

Velvet
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:13 PM
TBH, the best part of the whole story was going to the ER with a polo wrap - taken from my horse! - wrapped around my knee. You should've seen the look on the nurse's face.

I love it when I'm in the ER with a leg wrap/bandage on and they all think that there must have been a nurse, EMT or doc on sight when it happened. Um, nope. Just us horse people who often wrap better than they do! (More practice on a daily basis. :lol: )

Velvet
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:15 PM
[quote=netg;5381637]Unfortunately, my horse is now not quite so happy about other horses in warmup, so at my first schooling show with him there was a haflinger with a very RUDE rider who cantered up our butts, nearly hit us when she passed, then cut us off about 5 times. quote]

THIS is why you carry your whip at a perpendicular angle to your body in crowded warm up rings. ;) If the rider is an idiot, the horse's usually are not! :D

Peggy
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
Warming up on a young horse for a Training-level test in our designated warmup arena. A trainer decides to warm up her FEI horse in "our" ring as opposed to the immediately adjacent designated FEI warm-up ring. Large noisy FEI horse comes straight at my horse. Repeatedly. Star finally has enough and performs an acrobatic maneuver that includes a spin, a kick out and a bolt. FEI rider starts yelling at me to "get that thing out of here." Hello? Your ring is over there. Star now unhinged and spins every time a horse gets within 50 feet of him. Take him out of warmup ring, regroup, lunge, go in and do test without repeating warmup.

He probably had the tendency for the spinning at approaching horses before that experience, but it kind of sealed the deal. Years later he'll still do it in crowded situations when he's high.

meaty ogre
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:28 PM
I think it's a breed thing.

Good to know. Darnedest thing I've ever seen. Horses wide-eyed, snorting and blowing, scooting every which way, and the riders -even the kid riders- just tootin' round like it ain't no thang. Just business as usual.

TheHorseProblem
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:35 PM
Warming up on a young horse for a Training-level test in our designated warmup arena. A trainer decides to warm up her FEI horse in "our" ring as opposed to the immediately adjacent designated FEI warm-up ring. Large noisy FEI horse comes straight at my horse. Repeatedly. Star finally has enough and performs an acrobatic maneuver that includes a spin, a kick out and a bolt. FEI rider starts yelling at me to "get that thing out of here." Hello? Your ring is over there. Star now unhinged and spins every time a horse gets within 50 feet of him. Take him out of warmup ring, regroup, lunge, go in and do test without repeating warmup.

He probably had the tendency for the spinning at approaching horses before that experience, but it kind of sealed the deal. Years later he'll still do it in crowded situations when he's high.

I had that same experience at my first and only dressage show. Pretty BNT too. Probably the same one!

Peggy
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:38 PM
I had that same experience at my first and only dressage show. Pretty BNT too. Probably the same one!The name will probably come to me eventually. She never apologized to me tho she did to my trainer.

It was kind of the beginning of the end for me WRT dressage shows. I'm not saying that HJ shows are necessarily better, but at least I understand that brand of chaos.

happyhaffiehaley
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:49 PM
Wow, these are fun to read! My most exciting warm up arena happenings have been at expos and fairs.

Once, at the Midwest Horse Fair, I was warming up to perform in a Haflinger drill team. Another "upper" level rider who shall remain nameless kept coming up right behind the mare I was riding and passing her with mere inches between the two horses. I told him several times to give her some space (after all, the ring wasn't even that crowded), and he just ignored me. Finally, after about the fifth time of doing that, my mare had enough and kicked out, missing the other rider by inches. I think he finally got the point after that ;).

But I think my most exciting warm up was at the Minnesota Horse Expo one year. I was waiting near the entrance to the coliseum, which is already exciting in itself due to the numerous stallions, minis, loose children, and so forth. There was a semi full of cows for the rodeo that night parked near the arena. As I was sitting casually, waiting for our turn to perform, I see a young kid monkeying around with the door to the semi trailer. No sooner do I think to myself "Maybe he should step away from the trailer" than the door flies open, unleashing an entire trailer of steers. The boy is flattened and those things are out of there. I was literally sitting on a mare amongst over a dozen horned cattle desperate on getting the heck out of there. The mare was so surprised she stood stock still and tried not to get poked by any errant horns. After several people were stomped on, they finally rounded the cattle up. While I think it would be fun to learn how to cut cattle, that's not exactly how I envisioned my first experience....

Haley

netg
Jan. 25, 2011, 05:16 PM
THIS is why you carry your whip at a perpendicular angle to your body in crowded warm up rings. ;) If the rider is an idiot, the horse's usually are not! :D

Worth remembering next time... :)

The funny part is, I used to do breed shows. I shared a warmup with kids who couldn't control their horses, driving horses and saddle seat horses all at once, and never had/saw any big problems. In a two month period I saw ambulances have to come for injuries in warmup at a dressage show and an h/j show, both of which had no more than 5 horses in an entire large arena at the time of the incidents. In some ways I think the distraction can keep the horses from being problems - no time to look for anything, because they're too busy looking where they're going when their riders clearly aren't a lot of the time!

FatDinah
Jan. 25, 2011, 05:43 PM
Man, if you think an Arab warmup is nuts don't ever go to a saddlebred show!
Years and years ago, you'd find trainers throwing firecrackers at horses to get them stepping up.

A friend's daughter was warming up her formerly Prelim eventer (he costs big bucks and he was worth it!) and the line of jumps was headed right toward the gate into the dressage arena area. He cleared the second jump and popped over the gate for a triple and landed right in the dressage ring!!

Peggy
Jan. 25, 2011, 05:45 PM
I love it when I'm in the ER with a leg wrap/bandage on and they all think that there must have been a nurse, EMT or doc on sight when it happened. Um, nope. Just us horse people who often wrap better than they do! (More practice on a daily basis. :lol: )We used a front Eskadron boot to stabilize a wrist injury before sending the person to the ER. Bet that got an interesting look or two.:lol:

belleellis
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:04 PM
These are painful. Riders getting hurt and horses freaked out now about other horses.
I have one that is really funny but it scared me at the time. I have a large $400 pony who is an ex-bolter, still has the tendancy. His very first horse show - dressage schooling. He was all what is going on? He was previously hunter paced and trail ridden so the horses were not an issue more the why is everyone going a different direction at a different speed...curious, over loaded. As soon as he finally relaxed and we started trotting the loud speaker came on, directly above us, at TOP SOUND - it was playing the Wizard of Oz Flying Monkey music. Pony slams on the breaks and has all four legs out as far as your 13.3 3/4 legs can go, snorting, eye rolling. He would have bolted but could not decide which direction the music was coming from. So stood their for like 10 minutes not moving.
Now at the barn we will randomly start with the du.du.du.du., du.du.du.du and ask where are the flying monkeys at.

caddym
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:41 PM
This happened at HITS in Saugerties NY. OK shamless name dropping here, I was having a snack with Madeline Austin and Susan Jacoma and Lauren Sammis and Madeline started talking about bugs the size of hummingbirds -yeah right, bugs don't get that big.....

The next day I was warming up for my last class. My mare is really hot, but very sensible, never bucks but her mind will shut down. So POW, this bug the size of a hummingbird lands on her butt. There was nothing I could do. My non bucking mare was bucking, she could get the bug off, and I would move to a different area of the HUGE, uncrowded warm-up , but the bug was right back on her. Spectators and trainers were letting me know that the was a really big bug chasing my mare. I was so annoyed I KNOW how big this bug is. I'm a lot closer to it than you. I ended up scratching.

I went home to check out - I have one of those bug books from college, but could not find the book. But this sucker was massive and I'm from Vermont.

Pony Fixer
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately, I think I might be the cause of a lot of warm up disasters. My horse is naughty. It doesn't matter if I lunge first, or if it's the second warm up/test of the day on the 4th day of competition--he does not like traffic, is a little "herd bound", and very athletic. He has the kind of personality that HAS to test me every time, because this time I just might let him have his way...

I try to find the least populated ring to cause the least amount of havoc. Sometimes I have no choice but warm up with the "crowd". I can usually get him on the aids in about 20 minutes, but there will always be strings of bucks, crow hops, leaps in the air, and the attempt at "switch and ditch". I've had my fair share of dirty looks and I feel like I say "Sorry!" a lot.

I know ring etiquette and I do my best to get my work done without getting someone else hurt, but I know there are people out there going "Oh, no..." every time they see us arrive!

three_dayer
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
I apologize, I am one of those people that have cleared the arena with my old eventer. He didn't really enjoy dressage, but as we evented, we needed to practice dressage in a show situation. We would go to dressage shows and he would warm up pretty good until I would put a little pressure on him, then he would blow up( think airs above the ground) for a few minutes, then he would go back to work like nothing happened, unfortunatly(or not) the arena would be nice and clear for the rest of my warm up...A lot of people would see me coming on this particular horse and they would just leave the arena until I was in the competition ring(but people would always come and watch my dressage tests just to see what would happen this time) But no I wouldn't have put anyone in harms way, I tried to keep him out of any type of crowded arena, or I wouldn't push him to that point...

Darko
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:15 PM
Last fall I was riding in the large (very dusty) warm up of a recognized show on a stallion. This lady is doing what i call a hand gallop with occasional steering on her mare all over the place. She comes kinda close a few times . . . mare is clearly in heat! I was just walking at this point, then began trot work. About four strides in, crazy rider and mare zoom next us and as she cuts right in front of me her mare slams on the breaks and proceeds to back up into the stallion i was on. Thank god rider did not fall in the rather abrupt stop. Stallion is shall we say worked up at this point and ready to mount. He stuck with me though and got away from mare's rear end. Rider on mare continued on without saying one word! I went into a grass field to warm up after that. Are people really that stupid?

LookmaNohands
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:17 PM
The dumbest, and by far, the most dangerous thing I have ever seen in a warm up happened many years ago at an "A" hunter show in Indiana. Two horses were trotting toward the SAME warm up fence from OPPOSITE directions. Neither rider called the fence, neither rider gave way. Maybe they were playing chicken? I dunno. Both horses left the ground to jump the fence from opposite directions and met in mid-air!:eek: One horse went down and the rider on the other horse fell off. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid.

Unbelievably STUPID!!!

I apologize, I am one of those people that have cleared the arena with my old eventer. He didn't really enjoy dressage, but as we evented, we needed to practice dressage in a show situation. We would go to dressage shows and he would warm up pretty good until I would put a little pressure on him, then he would blow up( think airs above the ground) for a few minutes, then he would go back to work like nothing happened, unfortunatly(or not) the arena would be nice and clear for the rest of my warm up...A lot of people would see me coming on this particular horse and they would just leave the arena until I was in the competition ring(but people would always come and watch my dressage tests just to see what would happen this time) But no I wouldn't have put anyone in harms way, I tried to keep him out of any type of crowded arena, or I wouldn't push him to that point...

Sounds like a horse I have that I used to event. He HATED dressage with a passion. He was rarely good in the warm-up. It was a rare event that he did not go air born in the dressage warm up. He pretty much always did in the SJ and XC warm ups. I tried very hard to stay out of everyone's way. He would stand perfectly fine at the in gate or near the warm-up so I would wait until as few horses as possible were in the warm area before I would go in. Usually I stayed as far away as possible until I absolutely had to go in. I got pretty good at zipping in, jumping a few fences and getting out again before things got crowded. Luckily he was a very good jumper and didn't need many warm-up jumps. Mostly he LOVED to jump!! :D

Burbank
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:32 PM
oh dear, I swear sometimes it really is not my fault

1st show I ever took my horse to ( he had shown before and so had I but it had been a while since I showed) I got him tacked and took him to the ring to lunge as no one else was using that side, very few people in there, as he is going around happy and relaxed all of a sudden a little girl lopes up and into my horse, I have him whoa and he stands there like no big deal and she backs up moves around him and goes on.

his last shows haven't been great but I think that I have about got him figured out (we have shown a total of 4 times and the first was his best due to have an actual place to school him as the other show ground just has the arena and no schooling location)

JackSprats Mom
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:44 PM
Er I think *I* was one of those people that created a nightmare warm up (not on purpose).

Funnily enough at an Arab show, riding a friends horse who is normally an angle, warm up ring is small and busy (shocking I know) but we're all being respectful of each other.

I start to canter (and to give you an idea of how good this horse normally is, we took top score for that show -dressage- and won the class) and there is a rider on the rail so I go to pass on the inside, my horse decides to become a bronco horse, trapping the rider beside me on the rail and he lets loose bucking huge bucks right beside her :eek: Sure it scared the bejesus out of her.

JRG
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ugg...I have one of my own.

Went down to the venue, brisk morning air to say the least, horse seemed a little up but I didn't think anything of it (first clue), trying to mount from a horse eating railway tie planter (second clue), enter warm of ring and three-four strides in the horse felt like he was on my back!(third clue)

Push through to the work, horse looses focus on all the horses in the ring and a drain that sucks horses into it, regain composer only for horse to loose his nut completely as I yell heads up, and horse attempts to take out three other riders near the "out gate".

Fast forward to getting through the test, and my show partner asks "how did your test go?", I turn my horse around so he could see the other side of my horse.. and two distinct paint stripes accross by dark bay horse. I said "We cleaned up....the fence line" .

Quibbler
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:54 PM
My favorite experience was in 2007, at a very large horse show - all the riders were juniors. There were two warm-up rings, an indoor and an outdoor, and both were a free for all. In the outdoor, there would be three horses lunging, and people riding on the outside of them with the tiny bit of room they had left (this whole ring was smaller than 20 x 60 meters. It wasn't enclosed with a fence, but there was concrete less than 5 feet from the edge. So that was an absolute madhouse. I warmed up my mare as best as I could, in the end just deciding to find a grassy area to work her, uninterrupted by anyone.

I had very little time to warm up, because they soon started lining up horses for my class inside a barn across from the indoor show ring. They had us standing 3 across, with horses in front and behind. My mare is usually very calm, but this stressed her out. She started pawing and the only thing I could do was walk her in tiny circles. We had to wait for 1/2 an hour in this lineup before our class - needless to say, I was getting many dirty looks for not having a horse that would stand still. My poor mother ended up getting her toe stepped on and broken that day because of my horse.

Also at the show - we were waiting in line for our showmanship class, both of us just relaxing before our class. Some girl standing about 10 feet away has a chain on her horse. She begins yanking on him for no reason. The poor horse is wide-eyed and obviously frightened. He backs up and collides with my horse's hip. The girl gave me the dirtiest look I have ever seen.

That was the last year I ever participated at that show. My story has nothing on some of these, though.

cheerio280
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:58 PM
So this wasn't a dressage show, but I had to share! It was a really small western & english schooling show, and I was basically there because I had nothing better to do on a Saturday morning. Let's see. There was a woman lunging her young TB (with scary pink ribbons in her mane and tail!) at the end of the ring during the middle of schooling, and the ring was so small that she took up almost a third of the ring! There wasn't even room to get by on the rail. There were a couple of people barely in control of their horses that were jumping, even though they'd already announced no jumping several times. And my horse and I almost got run over by the only girl there that even had a trainer schooling her. She just came up behind us and didn't even say anything, even when her horse had to swerve and stop himself to avoid running into us. She's lucky she didn't get kicked! Needless to say, I'll find something better to do with my time in the future...

Edit: Just remembered another interesting warm-up, although comparatively not that bad. I was at a jumper schooling show and there was a trainer schooling a green horse for her student. That horse would absolutely not go over a particular jump (nothing fancy, just a plank). They actually got some friends to take apart the jump and spent a good 10 minutes getting her over it. At home, fine, that's what I would do. But at a show, schooling or not, that's just not fair to the other riders. Meanwhile, I've already gotten my horse over everything in the ring (he is a huge wimp about new jumps, scary or not) and they are still monopolizing this one jump. Pretty much everyone else has left the ring, but I know I have to get my horse over this at least once. They finally go elsewhere and I take him over it. He hesitates pretty badly so I catch him in the mouth a bit, and they end schooling before I can take him over it again. He ended up refusing that jump in 2 out of 3 classes. My fault for having caught him in the mouth, but still...

Bethe Mounce
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:06 PM
Where I used to live, some of us would get together and school at another venue. One venue we were often at....huge huge arena...could hold 10 horses comfortably. Some of us had flat saddles, others western saddles. The spinners and the sliders (reining folk) would practice their spins and stops here and there in the arena. My mare, terrific homebred, had had enough of someone coming to a sliding stop right next to her. Her ears had already been pinned back a few times. Spinners and sliders keep on spinning and sliding anywhere and everywhere, I made a huge attempt to stay away from them just because I knew Terina was not going to be nice. Sure enough, this one guy, big fancy name reiner in the area, decided every spin and every sliding stop would be right next to my mare. I said nothing. I let Terina do the talking! After about the 10th spin next to me as I am trotting along, Terina grabbed the reins out of my hands, pinned her ears and charged. I still say nothing. I grab the reins back and keep on trotting. He does it again, this time Terina got hold of the other horses' neck, bit down hard and away we go. I still say nothing. The rider is getting more and more frustrated as it appears this dinky little mare is determining where his fancy expensive reining horse is going to be allowed to spin and slide. I got called little lady a few times and didn't respond. He tried one more time to spin...Terina pinned her ears and that poor horse shot sideways into the middle of the arena like a cannon ball. Meanwhile several other folks have been watching the whole thing and laughing...of course I had no clue who this guy was. Apparently he was someone very well known (no, don't remember the name, it was SO long ago) in the reining circles at the time. I heard someone say..guess the little lady put you in your place. I still grin about it...Terina didn't put up with nothing!

carolprudm
Jan. 26, 2011, 10:21 AM
I love it when I'm in the ER with a leg wrap/bandage on and they all think that there must have been a nurse, EMT or doc on sight when it happened. Um, nope. Just us horse people who often wrap better than they do! (More practice on a daily basis. :lol: )
LOL, when I broke my ankle we iced and wrapped it for the 45 min trip to the ER. The doc there was very impressed, said we saved me a whole lot of trouble by doing it

suze
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:38 PM
he dumbest, and by far, the most dangerous thing I have ever seen in a warm up happened many years ago at an "A" hunter show in Indiana. Two horses were trotting toward the SAME warm up fence from OPPOSITE directions. Neither rider called the fence, neither rider gave way. Maybe they were playing chicken? I dunno. Both horses left the ground to jump the fence from opposite directions and met in mid-air! One horse went down and the rider on the other horse fell off. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid.

Incredibly stupid. At horse trials the warm up fences are flagged & you can only jump one direction, so no collisions over fences . . . but often riders careening around at top speed cutting right in front of jumps as a horse is on approach & the rider called the jump.

WBLover
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:03 PM
Got royally bucked off by my previous horse at a show, it had just rained BUCKETS right before that. The rain stopped so it was the big rush to get everybody going and into their tests. He didn't like one of the puddles in the warmup, and when I tried to get him to splash through it he launched me to the moon, right into the soaking wet sand. I was covered all down one side of my body, tan powder on black coat, tan powder on black helmet, and tan powder on white breeches. Sand DOES stain white breeches BTW!

I got back on, went right into my test, and got a 71% and 1st place!!

CA ASB
Jan. 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
Grand National Cow Palace, San Francisco. Horse show warms up with the rodeo. You've got saddle seat with team penners, reiners and the smell of livestock drifting up to the warmup that has huge square pillars in the middle of it. The roping teams are practicing roping while you're warming up. The Fine Harness buggies are trying to warm up. It's the smallest warmup around and it's a zoo.

One year, I'm warming up for the side saddle class. My gelding decides once I'm on him that he needs to "adjust" his back a bit. This means that he needs to buck. Side saddle. So, here we are cantering and mule kicking and farting and the cowboys are hooting and hollerin' and the other side saddle ladies are looking at me aghast. I don't have time to get off and lunge, so we keep going.

They call the class. We're still bucking (nothing mean, just some ahem, adjustments). Under a minute to go and I have to head for the arena. Someone retrieves my top hat and runs next to me as I con him into at least trotting towards the ring - cowboys racing after us to see the bucking horse side saddle lady. Slap the hat on, enter at a brisk saddle horse trot and win - to glares from the other ladies. Oh yeah ... mid class? They were loading the bucking horses in the chutes and one of them comes over the chute and is stuck half way in the arena as we go past. Have to call a time out in the class so they can let the horse loose in the class to race around (while I'm whispering to mine that it could be HIM).

Regretably, no video as it was the rodeo and they allowed no video cameras inside the building.

SmartAlex
Feb. 1, 2011, 10:06 AM
Niiice! My horse is a "saddle adjuster" too :winkgrin:

asb_own_me
Feb. 1, 2011, 10:51 AM
Pony is trying to get to us with his short little legs and is just not fast enough and keeps getting blocked. Finally he does the most perfect little piroette and I hear DD hollering at the monster horse to knock it off. Horse stops blows and pins his ears. Pony pins and stomps and charges. Monster backs down and I actually got my hands on his reins by now. Pony flags his tail and trots to the gate like aint no big deal.

Great story! Pony power!

I have seen a lot of craziness in warmup arenas, showing at breed shows, dressage shows, H/J shows, county fairs, and most of the stuff in between. Last year was really priceless, though. A loud and opinionated Friesian stallion thought that my blonde gelding was very attractive. He called, and craned his neck, and every time he'd pass us in the warmup would try to get closer, and closer, and closer.....I was not amused at the time. My poor gelding acted like he was trying to disappear into the wall, and cringed every time that stallion so much as looked at him.

Even better was that the same stallion was at the next show we were at, and was still completely enamored of my gelding.

So the question is, DO blondes really have more fun? Atlas would say, "NO!"

mysaygrace
Feb. 1, 2011, 10:51 AM
I have one for you :yes: My first, only & maybe last walk/trot schooling type dressage show I was walking around the outside of the ring until I was called to enter. The judges were sitting in the back of a trailer at the one end of the ring & when I tried to walk my silly mare between the trailer & the roped off ring (there was plenty of room), she shied and stepped backwards & in the process one of her back legs went over the rope. Unfortunately I didn't realize this and when I urged her to go forward her leg got caught on the rope & she went into panic mode & bolted!! Somehow I managed to stay on for the most part, but finally she zigged & I zagged & ended up in a heap in the ring. Someone caught my horse, I got up, tried the best I could to get the dirt off of me and see straight. I got back on & asked if it was okay if I still do my test. The judges said okay, so I did my test, which was more egg shaped circles in the end of the ring where the monster eating trailer sat, but at least we finished. The judges were more than generous with their positive remarks & it's a test I will certainly never forget. :lol:

PeanutButterPony
Feb. 1, 2011, 11:38 AM
CA ASB Wins, hands down :)

SmartAlex
Feb. 1, 2011, 12:05 PM

Tell them about the elephant....

analise
Feb. 1, 2011, 01:35 PM
Man, now I don't feel so embarrassed about the hard time my guy gave me about mounting in the warmup at the dressage show we went to in December. That was nothing compared to these stories!

Bethe Mounce
Feb. 2, 2011, 12:06 AM
The "back adjusting" wins hands down!!!! I think I will use those words to describe bucking in the future! I am impressed...and ya did it sidesaddle!!! You must be one hell of a rider!

Velvet
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:30 AM
Last fall I was riding in the large (very dusty) warm up of a recognized show on a stallion. This lady is doing what i call a hand gallop with occasional steering on her mare all over the place. She comes kinda close a few times . . . mare is clearly in heat! I was just walking at this point, then began trot work. About four strides in, crazy rider and mare zoom next us and as she cuts right in front of me her mare slams on the breaks and proceeds to back up into the stallion i was on. Thank god rider did not fall in the rather abrupt stop. Stallion is shall we say worked up at this point and ready to mount. He stuck with me though and got away from mare's rear end. Rider on mare continued on without saying one word! I went into a grass field to warm up after that. Are people really that stupid?

Honestly, I blame both parties, but mostly you. Stallion owners know what they are on all the time, thus I think it is always the stallion owners responsibility to warm up away from the other horses or to make sure there is plenty of distance between them and other riders in a warm up (even if this means asking them to not crowd you on the rail). I've ridden plenty of stallions and mares. It's always my job to keep the stallions away from all the other horses since you never know if there's a gelding that still thinks he's a stallion that is in the warm up. Mare owners do not always know if the horse is in heat, and many treat them like geldings.

Stallion owners should always be more aware and more protective. So I would say that I would think your last approach should have been the logical first one. Stay away from other horses when you have a stallion, whenever it is possible.

angel
Feb. 2, 2011, 05:10 PM
Spoken as if you have never been a warm-up ring, Velvet.

Velvet
Feb. 2, 2011, 05:31 PM
Spoken as if you have never been a warm-up ring, Velvet.

Some of us speak from experience, other people prefer to speak from other orifices. :lol:

Big_Grey_hunter
Feb. 2, 2011, 09:12 PM
Honestly, I blame both parties, but mostly you. Stallion owners know what they are on all the time, thus I think it is always the stallion owners responsibility to warm up away from the other horses or to make sure there is plenty of distance between them and other riders in a warm up (even if this means asking them to not crowd you on the rail). I've ridden plenty of stallions and mares. It's always my job to keep the stallions away from all the other horses since you never know if there's a gelding that still thinks he's a stallion that is in the warm up. Mare owners do not always know if the horse is in heat, and many treat them like geldings.

Stallion owners should always be more aware and more protective. So I would say that I would think your last approach should have been the logical first one. Stay away from other horses when you have a stallion, whenever it is possible.

Sounds like the stallion rider handled the situation quite well. Just like a stallion owner should not allow their stallion to make advances/mount a mare, the mare owner shouldn't allow their mare to back into a stallion! The mare owner should be just as responsible for their mare as the stallion owner is for their stallion.

ET's Home
Feb. 2, 2011, 09:33 PM
Back to topic....

Have been in saddlebred warmups, HJ local warmups, HJ 'A' warmups, dressage warmups. Heard this mentioned before, but the county fair warmups are always the most 'interesting', from tracter pulls (TB was cool with those), to various livestock (racing pigs anyone?), to demolition derby (ASB loved that), to ballons, giant stuffed animals, etc. Mentioned this one before but was at a county fair out in western NY for a Saddlebred show, warming up the day before. Was psyched as I had the show ring to myself for schooling. Well, next thing we know the grandstand at other side of fairground erupts with applause as Tonya Tucker took the stage. Gelding just imploded with fright.

Did I mention that I hate country music?

Et

SmartAlex
Feb. 3, 2011, 10:43 AM
Was it Catt. Co?

My sister took her Saddlebred to his first show at Catt. Co. The moment he hit the in-gate, the monster trucks started revving up across the track. Ever since, when he goes through an in-gate, he is ALL show horse. Changed his life forever :D

The interesting days in that warm-up ring are when they are auctioning market hogs 50 feet away.

Deepinmanure
Feb. 3, 2011, 11:07 AM
This happened to us at a recognized dressage show that also had an arabian show going on on the same grounds.....
My trainer had just warmed up my horse and was in a small holding area/warm-up area set up between three dressage rings. Two horses were "on-board" walking quietly when this crazy lady with a horse in costume and dressed like something Liberace used to wear, comes barreling into the warm-up from an arabian costume class. This horse show mother was franticly changing the horses gear and its teenaged rider from costume to dressage garb because they were late for their dressage class. Needless to say ,the two dressage horses almost " learned how to fly " trying to get away from the holding area. The mother was oblivious to the panic she was creating in the other horses.

Another nightmare that I witnessed was at Dressage at Devon many years ago. Though it didn't happen during a warm-up I think it qualifies for this thread.
During a pouring rain in Wannemaker Oval a poor lady attempted to ride her first level test whilst a choir of children sang "Tomorrow" from the show "Annie" in the main arena which was right next door .Each time the choir shreaked " the sun'll come out Tomorrow" the horse in " the Oval " bolted about half of the length of the dressage ring. It was funny and then NOT!!Definately unforgetable!
Oh ya! Then there was the time at another recognized dressage show that the warm-up was right next to a pasture full of Lamas.Did I mention that my mount had never seen a lama? He was in a full sweat for his class and the judge commented about my high-strung horse needed more warm-up!!!HA!!!

ET's Home
Feb. 3, 2011, 02:01 PM
Was it Catt. Co?

My sister took her Saddlebred to his first show at Catt. Co. The moment he hit the in-gate, the monster trucks started revving up across the track. Ever since, when he goes through an in-gate, he is ALL show horse. Changed his life forever :D

The interesting days in that warm-up ring are when they are auctioning market hogs 50 feet away.

You are correct! I had the horse less than a year, done some local open shows but this was my first saddlebred show. Horse was gelded at 13, after life as a breeding stallion and no show record, so it was always interesting with him. That disasterous warmup the day before was just the icing on the cake. I decided to do the gelding in-hand division. Yup just little old me, leading my little old gelding. Didn't realize you could have a second handler, WITH PLASTIC ON THE ENDS OF THEIR WHIPS!

Had to line up last about 30 feet from the other horses, but wouldn't ya know that little 15.3 h gelding grew 4 inches that day! Eyes bugged out, ears soo pricked they were touching, coat glistening with sweat - guess it worked as we were first in the older class and champion over all gelding! By the undersaddle class he.was.done. We got halfway around the ring when he started rearing and spinning. We were excused.:(

ah, county fairs.

horseaholic
Feb. 5, 2011, 11:03 AM
There is a particular venue I try to avoid due to the warm up facilities. Its the trainers on the rail that rally me. Loud, yelling, clucking, screaming across the arena at their clients.

leilatigress
Feb. 5, 2011, 11:37 AM
There is a particular venue I try to avoid due to the warm up facilities. Its the trainers on the rail that rally me. Loud, yelling, clucking, screaming across the arena at their clients.

Nothing like having "You'll be stuck at Training level forever if you keep riding like that" BTW the rider this was being yelled at couldn't have been more than 10 or 11. I'd love to say she kept yelling at only her clients but it and other comments were freely delivered to anything that crossed her path including my own DD. DD ignored her and our trainer bet DD would beat all of her kiddos. DD did :)

OnePerfectRide
Feb. 5, 2011, 11:46 AM
I did overhear a mom telling her daughter to "stay away from that crazy arab!" while glaring in my direction lol.

Carol O
Feb. 5, 2011, 02:44 PM
I was at a show once where a rider was riding a horse that kept running away with her in the warm up ring. When he would take off, she would yell "Whoa! Whoa!" as loud as she could until she got dumped. This happened over and over again. Each time she was dumped, of course then you had a loose horse careening around until it was caught. I complained to management, as I am sure others did too. Afterward I was told she was not entered in the show, but just trailered in for the "training". I was riding a super steady app at the time. Had I been on my current mount, he would have likely blown up too.

HSS
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:22 PM
Ah, my very favorite warm up story.

Years ago I was warming up my FEI horse at the little outdoor ring in Stanford, CA at a CDS show. The ring was in the middle of a pasture and the (fenceless) warm up was centered under a large oak tree. The warm up had been watered, and there was a large wet muddy puddle that hadn't dried out. I was warming up with a notorius gal on an appy and it was well known that the rider & horse were not happy campers.

I had just opened my mouth and warned the other rider that there was a large slippery mud spot on the side of the tree and to watch out for it. This apparently became a magnet, because she HEADED HER HORSE DIRECTLY AT THE MUDPUDDLE and in haste. Said horse hits the mud, loses his footing, dumps his rider, scrambles to his feet, realizes that he's lost her and takes his chance without a moments hesitation to head off like a bolt of lightning DIRECTLY AWAY FROM HER. She gets up, covered in mud, while I nearly fall of my horse I'm laughing so hard.

I think it was 20 minutes later they finally rounded him up at the far corners of campus.

I still laugh till I cry when I think of it:cool:

meupatdoes
Feb. 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'm riding around in my warmup, minding my business. Only other horse in the ring is piloted by a junior whose trainer is apparently trying (and failing!) to teach her how to leg yield minutes before riding 1st-3.

Suppressing the urge to mutter "QUIET with the hands" as I ride past, I continue warming my horse up long, low and relaxed, sticking to the perimeter so they can have the ENTIRE middle of the arena to learn legyielding. If by "learn legyielding" I mean bumpity bump, bouncity bounce, handsy mchands, horse performing under protest, you know the story.

Other trainer carries on loudly coaching the wtfery going on next to me and I briefly wonder before turning her back to blah how on earth what she is saying has anything to do with what her poor haphazard student is trying to accomplish on that longsuffering, frazzled horse.

I bring my horse up into a working frame and practice a lengthening down the longside. Other trainer hollers at her student, "Shoulders back, sit up more!" I half halt around the short side to prepare the canter for the next lengthening, add gas down the longside and half halt again for the turn. Other trainer hollers at her student, "Great, doesn't that feel better?!" I ride past them in trot shoulder-in and other trainer looks at me and grins encouragingly.

Suddenly I realize that she isn't talking to her student, she is talking to me. She has randomly decided to give me a free riding lesson ten minutes before my test. My entire school is under public commentary and advisement. I was like, "Dude, freal?" It would be one thing if her students rode beautifully and she had a great eye and had honed in on some enlightening little tip that was justthething, but I took one more look at her student who shouldn't have gone anywhere near a First Level test that day and compared my horse's work vs. their horse's work and was like, "Seriously??!" (And, um, their horse did NOT get a 75% that day. Mine did.)

But I didn't want to be rude so I just thanked her politely and made chitty chat later on when I ran into her at the food stand.
;)

whitewolfe001
Feb. 21, 2011, 10:51 PM
meupatdoes, I had a similar experience, except it was a little more...involved.

When I was in high school, one year I was boarding just for the summer at a small backyard barn. I was only boarding there temporarily because it was so convenient, I could walk there from my house. The barn owner fancied herself quite the dressage trainer, even though she was not actively riding, competing or had any students. I wasn't taking lessons from her, I had my own trainer that I had weekly lessons with during the school year, and had to politely turn down many offers of lessons that summer with replies such as "I just want to relax and have fun this summer".

I went to just one show that summer, and warmed up by myself. My TB tended to be a little hot, especially in a show environment, so I was pleased that I was able to keep him relaxed in the warmup. First test goes great, we score a 70%.

The barn owner shows up while I'm getting ready to warmup for my second test. So I say hi, polite chitchat, etc. When she found out what I scored on the first test, she decided right then and there that she was now my instructor and she was going to loudly coach me for test #2. There were some friendly spectators who complimented my horse while we warmed up and she made sure to let them know that she was my "trainer"!

(Keep in mind I was like 17. Today I would have told her to shut up and leave me alone, but at the time I really just didn't know what to do and so I just let her 'coach' me.)

So she proceeds to bark at me the entire time and telling me to get him more "up" and whatnot... long story short, TB gets more and more hot, it was all I could do just to contain him in the show ring, and the result of her helpful, free "coaching" was a 10% score drop in test #2. :P

Dramapony_misty
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:29 PM
I was at a show once and had a very kind, submissive young horse. It was not his first show and he was fine with company at that point.

One trainer on a firebreathing monster kept passing us very close. We were on the outside rail and had nowhere to go. The trainer laughed each time he flew by and saw my horse cringing. Finally he actually slammed into us, and my horse hit the wall. At that point my horse became totally unrideable in company. If a horse came too close, he would kick or bolt - and this is a horse who was the most mild mannered pleasant horse even to other horses. I could not even show him because of his fear of other horses after this incident. It took years before I could ever even warm up in a ring with other horses. I had (and have) my own place and it's really difficult to get a horse over this sort of incident when you ride by yourself all the time. It took YEARS but by trail riding, and actually doing 25-mile endurance rides for fun, he finally got to where I could show him in dressage, where he was in the class by himself - and we just 'managed' the warm up. I could never have ever shown him in a rail class again.

This was a long time ago. If I knew then what I know now I would have reported the "trainer" to the steward and filed a complaint against him.

IMHO that is what my dressage whip is for. If that trainer was close enough to my horse (especially close enough to slam my girl), he would have gotten a nasty whip mark. :mad:

Darko
Feb. 22, 2011, 06:48 PM
This is too ironic. . . I posted a ways back about a show warm up on a stallion. We were "attacked" by a rider with a mare in raging heat. Fast forward a few months. . . that same horse and rider are on the cover of our local GMO's newsletter. I just about died when i saw it.

cutemudhorse
Feb. 23, 2011, 09:22 PM

No doubt ----- I'm impressed!! :yes: