PDA

View Full Version : Dressage in Orange County, CA

Dogsandponies
Jan. 25, 2011, 12:11 AM
I'm moving to the OC in a few months and am looking for leads for a competent trainer who is good with young horses. Any ideas?

a3
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
North or South Orange County? South Orange County has several commerical stables with training facilites. North Orange County has few commerical stables and small areas that are horse oriented. The bulk or the dressage trainers are going to be at the lage commerical stables. North Orange County has few trainers. Some trainers clinic at private facilities, but horse property is hard to come by in Orange County. Finding a trainer to work with a young horse can be difficult.

mypaintwattie
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:48 PM
True, it really depends where in the county you are looking. Although OC is not large, during rush hour you are looking at over an hour to get from the south to the north. Do you have any ideas of where you will be?

Dogsandponies
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
We will probably be somewhere around Costa Mesa or HB. I have looked at what I can find online and I know there has to be something better. Any opinion on Huntington Central Park?

TheHorseProblem
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
At HCPEC, there is only one dressage trainer I know of who will ride young horses, and that is Andy Fleishaker. (sp?)

You can PM me for more info.

atlatl
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:28 PM
I know of folks who were on the waiting list for over a year to get a stall at HCPEC. If you are considering it, you may want to contact them now and check on availability.

I'll also send you a PM.

mypaintwattie
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:51 PM
Actually, I am at HCPEC. It is a nice facility, with no waiting list. There are always box and pipe stalls available. As far as dressage trainers, Carol Robertson and her assistant Meghan are good, and there also is Andy, but I am not sure if he still works with the young ones. If you are looking to show than I would try Carol or her assistant.

Dogsandponies
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:08 PM
How are Nellie Gail, Sycamore Trails and Rancho Sierra Vista?

lewin
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:13 PM
I ride with Carol Robertsons group. They are excellent and do some of the young horse classes with their own horses.

If you are in HB or Costa Mesa the other barns you mentioned are over an hour away in the 5pm traffic or a 5$ toll road ride each way. Otherwise they are good options as well.

Long Spot
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:25 PM
If you want to pursue the Pelham and it's place in Dressage, go with Andy.

Coreene
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:26 PM
If you go to HB, where there is not a waiting list, you would want to put the horse with Megan O'Brien or Carol Robertson. Edited to say I've been at HCPEC for 20 years and absolutely love it. With dressage there, Megan and Carol are the only way to go. :yes:

atlatl
Jan. 26, 2011, 10:28 AM
I stand corrected regarding the waiting list; my information is clearly out of date being about 5 years old.

Nojacketrequired
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:12 PM
Is that man the same one who told a poster here to ride dressage in a Pelham? I'm sure the name and area ring a bell.
If not, my apologies, if so...well...'nuff said.

NJR

Mufffie
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:01 PM
I'm at Sycamore Trails and ride with Tom Betts... doesn't get much better than that !

Love, love, love him

Mufffie

AnotherRound
Jan. 26, 2011, 08:15 PM
If you want to pursue the Pelham and it's place in Dressage, go with Andy.

Ahh...:cool:

Was it that he truly thought the pelham was a valid option for dressage, or was he just giving a client a set of brakes for an unsuited horse? I had thought he was doing the latter and the client was the one proclaiming pelhams for dressage? Or am I mistaken...

Long Spot
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
Ahh...:cool:

Was it that he truly thought the pelham was a valid option for dressage, or was he just giving a client a set of brakes for an unsuited horse? I had thought he was doing the latter and the client was the one proclaiming pelhams for dressage? Or am I mistaken...

Not the only horse in his program that goes in a pelham. Seems to be more than a one off situation.

Dogsandponies
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all the info. The PMs have been.....educational.

Kristiny
Jan. 27, 2011, 04:26 PM
Welcome to Orange County :)
Tom Betts is your best bet with a young horse. He is a beautiful, patient rider and an excellent teacher. PM me is you need his contact info

FullCircleTraining
Jan. 29, 2011, 01:22 AM
Definitely welcome to Southern California!

I've never seen Tom Betts work with a young horse, but I've met him briefly. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Also at Sycamore Trails, though, I highly recommend Wilma Blakley. I know someone who started her young horse with Wilma, and the last time I saw him, he was going very well.

Best of luck!

Dune
Jan. 29, 2011, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't recommend any of the trainers mentioned here for actually sitting on/training the horse. *Maybe* for taking an occasional lesson, but that's it. Are you willing to go out of the area a bit? Feel free to run some names by me via PM, if you wish.:winkgrin:

nhwr
Jan. 29, 2011, 03:58 PM
Wilma is a decent instructor but she won't ride your horse.

TheHorseProblem
Jan. 29, 2011, 04:16 PM
What about Kathleen Raine? Isn't she in the OC? Her assistant is great with green horses. Nicole Z-something...

atlatl
Jan. 29, 2011, 06:50 PM
Niki Zamora. Yes, she's great. She's also in Murrietta. Almost San Diego county and on the 15 side of the mountain.

Lostboy
Jan. 29, 2011, 11:06 PM
Niki is good if you can get convienent stabling. Not sure who you are riding with currently but if you weren't going to ride every day anyway, I would look at North San Diego. MANY excellent choices there, but not a drive you would want to make multiple times just some good choices of who could ride/train your horse.
Even if you do board in the OC, you might want to get on the list to know when Robert Dover will be in SanDiego clinicing. He seems to be there often enough and its a good opportunity to either ride or listen to him teach the trainers who bringtheir greenies.. very interesting.

Lostboy
Jan. 29, 2011, 11:25 PM
Oh wait.. is this the one that bucks ? Pretty sure a new trainer would want to know about that ahead of time.

Dune
Jan. 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
Wilma is a decent instructor but she won't ride your horse.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

What about Kathleen Raine? Isn't she in the OC? Her assistant is great with green horses. Nicole Z-something...

Kathleen's not in OC, more like La Cresta/Murrieta.

, I would look at North San Diego. MANY excellent choices there, but not a drive you would want to make multiple times just some good choices of who could ride/train your horse.

Kinda what I was thinking too....

poltroon
Jan. 30, 2011, 12:20 PM
Lisa Sabo is at the Orange County Fairgrounds. I'm not sure how much young horse riding she's doing these days. She is an eventer so I wouldn't go to her for upper level work, but for basics I think she'd be worth checking out.

Pommederue
Jan. 30, 2011, 01:50 PM
If I was moving to a new city, I would take the time to go to every barn in the area I was interested in, and speak personally with the trainers and perhaps even watch them ride. I would ask them of their approach; how many young horses they have started or trained; what levels do they go to; are they willing to ride a young or 'problem' horse; etc.

Also, some of the 'best' trainers just don't start young or ride problem horses - their assistants do. And some are picky about the horses they 'chose' to train.

I don't think it's really fair to judge these trainers based solely on what someone says here on this thread. Do your own homework.

Dogsandponies
Jan. 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
Rather than worrying about a trainer, I need to find a barn that feeds appropriate amounts of good hay, not pellets, not cubes. Sheesh.

My farrier was right when he said the OC is no man's land for horses.

Coreene
Jan. 30, 2011, 11:34 PM
In 20 years (this time around) at HCPEC, I've never fed anything but hay. Most OC boarding stables give you a choice of hay or cubes.

Pommederue
Jan. 30, 2011, 11:48 PM
Rather than worrying about a trainer, I need to find a barn that feeds appropriate amounts of good hay, not pellets, not cubes. Sheesh.

My farrier was right when he said the OC is no man's land for horses.

Perhaps OC just not for you? Sheesh...:rolleyes:

I'm moving to the OC in a few months and am looking for leads for a competent trainer who is good with young horses. Any ideas?

Mufffie
Jan. 31, 2011, 01:00 PM
Kathleen Raine and her husband come to Sycamore Trails every Tuesday and give lessons there.....

Just a thought

Dogsandponies
Jan. 31, 2011, 07:40 PM
Perhaps OC just not for you? Sheesh...:rolleyes:

I am at the mercy of the military for where I live. They don't really care if the OC is for me or not. :sigh:

I'm still open to suggestions for barns. How about places in Trabuco Canyon?

Thanks again for your suggestions! There are some really great pointers.

mypaintwattie
Jan. 31, 2011, 08:04 PM
You have a PM

PreppyPonies
Feb. 1, 2011, 01:45 AM
How are Nellie Gail, Sycamore Trails and Rancho Sierra Vista?

At Sycamore Tom Betts is great. Very nice and intelligent man who knows his stuff. Not sure if he's still riding young horses though.

I've been at Rancho for about 5 years now and the dressage options are limited. But Rancho does have a great relaxed vibe that some of the other local boarding options lack. And it's nice to be able to just walk over to sycamore if you want to lesson with a trainer over there.

jumpytoo
Feb. 1, 2011, 11:52 AM
who is at Coto de Caza these days?

Also wasn't there a dressage trainer at Tar Farms ?

OP, will you be on the north or south side of OC ? or which base?