PDA

View Full Version : Jayne Ayers or Megan McIsaac

Quibbler
Jan. 24, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hi guys - I've dug up some information in past posts, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with either Jayne Ayers or Megan McIsaac. I'd love to hear what you guys think about either of them and their training methods. (If anyone has worked with both, that would be even more fabulous to hear about.)

Thanks!

bhebert19
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:53 PM
I don't know either of them personally nor have I trained with them... But I have a couple of friends that have ridden with Megan and one that bought a horse thru her and they all have nothing but VERY positive things to say about her... Sounds like she runs a very fun barn also!! Also has some nice schoolmasters to lesson on or lease... I don't know the other trainer at all so I cant say anything there but from the comments I have heard about Megan if I was in her area she would be very high on my list of people to work with. Good luck in your search!!

mzm farm
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:05 PM
I have taken some lessons from Jayne Ayers, especially to work on my body awareness/position. She is one of the few people whom I have found to offer a lungeline lesson program - really lets you focus on your seat. I found that she has a system that she likes to stick with - not much discussion or brainstorming.
She teaches, you learn. Straight forward, polite.

I worked with Megan eons ago, she was just starting teaching and I was just starting dressage - she was always upbeat and encouraging. I enjoyed learning from her.

Wayside
Jan. 26, 2011, 12:43 AM
I asked my instructor about Jane Ayers, since I was contemplating lunge lessons. She said that some of her students have gone to her for that reason, or lesons on a schoolmater (my instructor does not have lesson horses), and she said their reviews were mixed. Some loved her, some weren't so pleased. I actually ended up taking some longe lessons from a nearby jumping trainer who has a good grasp of the basics instead, which went well.

Megan, well, I've known her for years and although she may be a good teacher, I haven't found her business practices to be exceptionally ethical, so I avoid sending any money to her barn on principal.

Quibbler
Jan. 26, 2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm very happy with my current instructor and don't plan on leaving her, but I've been looking at these two for working student positions over the summer. I really want to improve my riding and sit on some other horses (preferably Warmbloods, but that's not for certain) that are bigger movers than my own mare. The trainer where I board doesn't have any schoolmasters, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. I'm looking for someone within 80 minutes or so of New Berlin.

papony
Jan. 26, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have taken several clinics with her. I originally went because she was my lowest scoring judge in the CDIs and I wanted to learn why and how to improve!

I thought she was awesome! She is excellent in rider position and biomechanics. She really helped me break down the aids for some difficult movements, and since I don't have a regular instructor/trainer, she gave me home work and bench marks that would help me make progress on my own. She also gave me good info about what was a fair effort from my horse given her current level of fitness and training and what would indicate I should expect more

Her feedback is instantaneous which I found helpful. She gives great feedback from a judges perspective. she is a stickler for throughness and the basics, which I also liked. I ride with her every time she is in Pa.

JenK29
Jan. 31, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hello! I've been with Megan McIsaac for the last 8 years, and started as her working student. She is FANTASTIC, and I feel compelled to say due to the other post, very ethical in her business practices. I have bought and sold horses through her, leased horses in her barn, and just taken lessons on her horses over the years. She is very straightforward regarding her expectations and each individuals responsibilities in every situation. I've had others outside the barn cheat me, but never her. I've been riding for 20 years across three states, and she is by far the best I've ever ridden with.

It is a very fun barn to be in; we have those that show and go as a big group, and those that choose not to show, and that is perfectly ok, they are included in the barn fun anyway. We do serious training, but definitely prefer to have a good time while we're doing it! She does offer lunge lessons if that is what you are looking for; all lessons and training are tailored to the horse/rider combinations wants/needs. Progress is important and encouraged, but never forced on anyone; it's all about what you a ready for and what your goals are.

Ok, I'll stop here because obviously I can't say enough good things! Good luck on your search and I hope you find what you are looking for!

horses55
Mar. 10, 2011, 11:56 PM
I have worked with Megan and in my opinion I would never send anyone to her for training!

Carol O
Mar. 12, 2011, 11:38 AM
You live in southern Wisconsin. There are more trainers there than just the two you mentioned. I would keep looking if I were you.

Quibbler
Mar. 12, 2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. And Carol - I'm looking for one who is willing to take on a working student, that's why my search is as limited as it is. But if you know of any who would, I would love the input. =)

Dressage87
Mar. 14, 2011, 12:23 AM
Hello Quibbler-

I see that you are interested in a working student position. I have worked with Megan McIsaac for 4 1/2 years now, and have been working full time with her as a working student for the past year. I cannot say enough good things about her! I truly could not ask for a better trainer. She is extremely knowledgeable, and loves to share all of her expertise with her students. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced rider, Megan will design a personalized program for your education. Whether you are interested in being a serious competitor, or just in learning and having fun, you will be welcomed into Megan's barn. We have a wonderful group here; all are very supportive of each other, and love to have a good time.

Megan has several phenomenal school horses. Some are great for lunge lessons to work on your position, and others can teach you all the movements through the Grand Prix. They are all warmbloods, as you mentioned that you would like to ride. It is quite possible for you to make much progress while riding with Megan. Many of her students have gone from training level all the way to 3rd, 4th, and FEI levels. In addition, many have qualified for USDF regional championships, and are earning their USDF medals.

In regards to her working student program-I love it! You work for a day, and in exchange, you receive an hour long lesson on one of her school horses. Her lessons are well worth the work! Megan is great to work with-she is lots of fun and very positive.

Finally, in regards to any claims about her business practices being "unethical," I find this to be shocking and utterly false. I work with her everyday, and thus I am very familiar with how she runs her barn. She is extremely conscious of her actions, and aims to run a professional business with high customer satisfaction. All of her decisions are made with the wellbeing of both horse and rider in mind.

I hope this helps in your decision making. Good luck!

Pely
Mar. 14, 2011, 07:29 AM
I've never seen either of those trainers coaching a rider at the FEI levels at a show, or even 3rd and 4th level. be careful what you claim.

Jane is very much "by the book". The training scale and rule book are her guidelines, and that is how she teaches. Not much room for individuality.

Megan is a lot more fun.

Shouldn't we be a bit more careful about what is being posted about ethics ?

Quibbler
Mar. 14, 2011, 08:38 AM
Shouldn't we be a bit more careful about what is being posted about ethics ?

I agree. I did not start this thread looking for a train wreck. And thank you for your information, Pely, I appreciate it very much.

Wayside
Mar. 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
I agree. I did not start this thread looking for a train wreck. And thank you for your information, Pely, I appreciate it very much.

My apologies for my part in the "train wreck." I did contemplate simply sending you a PM, but I realize that there may be other people reading this question that could benefit from my experience, and I'd rather not leave them completely in the dark.

Though I will not go into detail here, I am willing to respond to PM's from anyone who feels they need to know, and I will do my best to remain as tactful and objective as possible.

Quibbler
Mar. 14, 2011, 04:43 PM
I wasn't referring to you or anyone in particular - I didn't have a glaring problem with anything that was posted. I found it all helpful, but I am not looking for the discussion to escalate and become problematic.

Dressage87
Mar. 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
I've never seen either of those trainers coaching a rider at the FEI levels at a show, or even 3rd and 4th level. be careful what you claim.

Hello again! I would not make false claims here. Megan has indeed had several students competing at 3rd and 4th level. If interested, you can check out some videos of her students riding at these levels on her Lindinhof youtube account. This year, Megan should have several more students showing at these levels, as well as at FEI. In addition, she has several students who choose not to show, but are more than capable of riding at the upper levels.

Feel free to message me if anyone has any more questions about the working student position (or anything!) at Megan's. I would be happy to help out and provide a reference!

Pely
Mar. 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
I stand corrected. Congrats to all of them and best wishes.