PDA

View Full Version : David O'Connor vs Jimmy Wofford vs Phillip Dutton and Bobby Costello for US Coach??

anonymous101
Jan. 24, 2011, 09:44 PM
Whose your pick to the next US team coach?? I'm personally rooting for David O'Connor!!

Lori T
Jan. 24, 2011, 09:48 PM
They all have their good points. When I heard about Phillip, I was "yeah for him". Then DOC entered the picture, and I was like "yeah, even better!" And now with Jimmy...wow...I think we are so fortunate to have such a great selection to chose from. Maybe our failing to medal at the WEG's was a good thing...would we have had such an interest otherwise? I am not sure, I really like DOC and Jimmy for the frontrunners. It will be very interesting. I think that the US will benefit regardless of the outcome.

RSEventer
Jan. 24, 2011, 09:49 PM
Anybody but who we got right now!!!!!:winkgrin:

OK, realistically- David O Conner,
former gold medalist, proven track record with Canadians, and incredible track record with USET as a leader.

Any of the applicants now are extremely qualified, but I think David O Conner is the best match and would produce the best results. Plus, I don't want to see Phillip Dutton not ride for our team- he is too good to lose....What an amazing "nerves of steel" rider!

RiverBendPol
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:20 PM
Anybody but who we got right now!!!!!:winkgrin:

OK, realistically- David O Conner,
former gold medalist, proven track record with Canadians, and incredible track record with USET as a leader.

Any of the applicants now are extremely qualified, but I think David O Conner is the best match and would produce the best results. Plus, I don't want to see Phillip Dutton not ride for our team- he is too good to lose....What an amazing "nerves of steel" rider!

You're kidding, right? Do you have any idea what Jimmy has accomplished over his lifetime? Here, have a look. You could be amazed.......
http://www.useventing.com/media.php?section=bios&id=437

ps O'ConnOr

Aelfleah Farm
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:27 PM
Wofford!

Woohoo!

anonymous101
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:30 PM
My only problem with jimmy is that he rode during the long format days, and never rode in a short format. Has his training methods evolved enough to stand up to today's tough dressage in the eventing world??

lstevenson
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:31 PM
There is NO question in my mind - definitely Jimmy!

Sorry, but if David was coach, not much would change. We obviously need a change.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

anonymous101
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
Jimmy led the Canadians to a not so victorious Olympics, but David brought them to a team silver in 2 years at the WEG!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:35 PM
My only problem with jimmy is that he rode during the long format days, and never rode in a short format. Has his training methods evolved enough to stand up to today's tough dressage in the eventing world??

Yes...his training methods have evolved. Also interesting that most of the top riders today in the "short" format....were riders who came up through his program....and were riders competitive in the long format.

honestly....yes the sport is different. But good horsemanship and training is still needed.....and how you become sucessful really isn't any different. To talk with riders who were competitive in both formats....they really don't train much differently. Would love to see the "listed riders" do a few Hell weeks with Jimmy ;)

Jimmy hasn't been in a cave all this time. He has still been coaching and at just about every major event. He knows the sport, knows the riders and horses and knows what it takes to get and be successful at the top.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:42 PM
Jimmy led the Canadians to a not so victorious Olympics, but David brought them to a team silver in 2 years at the WEG!

I wouldn't compare the two based just on that..... And part of the reason for the Canadians success at WEG....was the failure by the USA Team. The Canadians were/are a LONG way off from posing any sort of challenge to the British.

Ajierene
Jan. 24, 2011, 11:01 PM
Should we have them mud wrestle, then?

Maybe throw on some bikinis and have a good ole fashioned jello wrestling competition?

chunky munky
Jan. 24, 2011, 11:02 PM
People, the Chef is not a trainer. That left 20 years ago. The Chef is a man or woman that can move the sport where it needs to go, and pull the team together. And yes, I believe that Mr. Wofford is the best for the job. He didn't just train well, he rode really well. He also was as I remember the head of the old AHSA. He has it all. The ability, office ability, the international ability. He has it all. Hope that you go and reveal all of who he has been and who he has taught. Beats your last Chef :-)

Lostboy
Jan. 24, 2011, 11:24 PM
Wofford, no doubt about it he's all that and a can of beans

dustbowl
Jan. 24, 2011, 11:30 PM
Jimmy will provide technical expertise; inspiration; motivation; discipline; humor; and a work ethic second to none. If you are not familiar with his coaching style, go to youtube and view posts from folks who have taken a clinic, or even better, find a clinic and attend in person (audit or ride).

tres grey
Jan. 24, 2011, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't compare the two based just on that..... And part of the reason for the Canadians success at WEG....was the failure by the USA Team. The Canadians were/are a LONG way off from posing any sort of challenge to the British.

Great point.
#teamwofford

JER
Jan. 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
I know who I prefer but...

If I were an actual decision-maker, I wouldn't make a decision until I heard their 'pitches' or whatever you call it in the world of sports. Surely, they must have specific ideas and plans for how the program should be run, and I'd want to give every candidate an open hearing, regardless of what I thought of their established coaching style.

I'd really like to see some creativity in this job. We need our Rinus Michels, someone who can develop the US eventing equivalent of 'Total Football.'

('Total Football' was the name given to the brilliant style of play Michels developed at Ajax and Holland's national team in the 70s. In total football, any player can take over the position of another player at any given time under any conditions. It's all about fluidity, readiness, adaptability and technical proficiency. And it turned a small country into a world powerhouse.)

ozzy24
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:22 AM
I think that Jimmy would be able to give the most effort and time to the position, and as he said, ¨Be the first fulltime Chef that the USEF has had¨. Plus in Phillip´s press release, he said that if he got the position, he would still plan on competing and he also has a young family, so although I have no doubt that he would be committed to being Chef, I don´t believe that he is in a position to give as much effort and time to the position as Jimmy. And David also seems to still be actively riding and training lots of students and busy with OCET. I feel that Jimmy would set a strong example of what the USEF needs in a coach, and then way in the future either Phillip or David would be at their prime to follow in Jimmy´s footsteps. All 3 canidates are good coaches, no question about that. But which one has the best vision and plan for how to restructure the current progam of how to develop/support horses and riders? I could be wrong about this, but I feel that David might do more of the same with a few minor tweaks to the system, while Jimmy would devise and execute a completely new program for the USET that would ¨help the sport reach new heights¨. And I have no idea what Phillip would do.

Reynard Ridge
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:28 AM
I'd really like to see some creativity in this job. We need our Rinus Michels, someone who can develop the US eventing equivalent of 'Total Football.'

('Total Football' was the name given to the brilliant style of play Michels developed at Ajax and Holland's national team in the 70s. In total football, any player can take over the position of another player at any given time under any conditions. It's all about fluidity, readiness, adaptability and technical proficiency. And it turned a small country into a world powerhouse.)

Brilliant analogy. I am fascinated by what the Kiwi's have done by naming their 2012 short list and shuffling those who are not already there off to Europe. Focused energy and support behind the key players.

There are a million reasons why this sort of move would cause the US eventing world to have collective kittens, and a million and one reasons why it might fail for the Kiwis, but you have got to admire them trying something so bold.

It seems like the three options that are public give the USEA a pretty great group of potential candidates. I'm waiting to see who else pops up on the list before the closing date.

Eventer55
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:46 AM
Jimmy is one of the most adaptable people on this planet. I was invited to walk with him at Rolex when a friend of mine was riding and I can tell you he totally gets the short format.

He brings a wealth of knowlege and a vast array of experience, second to none. His experience with all formats whether on the ground or in the saddle is unequaled, as is his acerbic sense of humor.

retreadeventer
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:33 AM
Agree. Coach not a trainer.
Disagree. Old president of AHSA -- a disaster which he freely admits.
Agree. Canadian result at WEG, failure of US, not competitive to British, but the horses were totally prepared and selection was flawless.
Disagree. Full time vs. full time rider, no difference to the time and attention paid to the sport. Both live it and breathe it.
Agree. Gotta hear the "pitches". Need to see the programs the candidates have outlined -- in detail. I'm so curious I could burst waiting to read these!

Auburn
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:46 AM
I am so happy that the word is finally out. :D

I approached JW at the AEC's in September and asked him if he would please consider applying for the position?

He said, "I am in the process of getting my resume together and will send it in soon."

When all of the other names came out, I was beginning to think that he had been kidding around when he told me of his plans.

It has been very hard not to post anything that he told me. Needless to say, my vote would be for JW (if I had a vote ;)).

Denny,
For whom would you cast your vote?

Mara
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:35 AM
When will the decision be rendered?

Jan. 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
JIMMY. Keeping my fingers crossed.

yellowbritches
Jan. 25, 2011, 12:08 PM
I can't even vote because there are things I love about all three choices, and things I don't love. They could all be so very, very interesting...they could all end up being the same thing as before (doubtful with JW). They could all be disasters. There are SO many factors involved with this thing, not just this particular position, that changing one ingredient may prove not to be enough. The whole program will need a revamping...hopefully the right person will get picked and then that person will have the right voice to get the other weak links strengthened, too.

deltawave
Jan. 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
Jimmy, because to me he embodies the sport in this country and everything good about it. He's a wonderful communicator, he is still in touch with the people who make the sport go, he is a consummate horseman and from what I can gather from reading his stuff and the few brief moments I've spent in his presence, there's a lot going on inside his head. :) Give me the really, really smart guy, every time.

faybe
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
Jimmy, because to me he embodies the sport in this country and everything good about it. He's a wonderful communicator, he is still in touch with the people who make the sport go, he is a consummate horseman and from what I can gather from reading his stuff and the few brief moments I've spent in his presence, there's a lot going on inside his head. :) Give me the really, really smart guy, every time.

LIKE.

Gilbo
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:09 PM
My vote is DEFINITELY for Jimmy Wofford! If they put in DOC, we lose KOC as a competitor. If PD gets the job, we lose him as a competitor. JW is the only logical choice from that aspect. I could see why they would choose Jimmy.

sisu27
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:21 PM

ALLTECH FEI WORLD EQUESTRIAN GAMES™ - EVENTING, FINAL RESULT
Team: Great Britain 139.40; 2, Canada 151.50; 3, New Zealand 154.50; 4, USA 160.30; 5, Germany 200.70; 6, Belgium 227.10; 7, Ireland 236.50; 8, France 245.70; 9, Japan 334.10.

Perhaps a bit ot but the point deficit you cite doesn't really agree with your statement. If the canucks were a LONG way off from posing a threat to the brits then so were the americans to the canucks. Just sayin' 12 vs. 8 point deficit....not a big spread.

I do agree that the original comparison is not very valid though. As I have stated on other threads....DOC has done an amazing job with the CET but he is not alone!! The chef et al have also done yeomans work.

FWIW, as a Canadian I am jealous that you guys have such great options....you sort of can't lose. I am hoping that maybe, just maybe we can end up with your seconds.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:28 PM
Perhaps a bit ot but the point deficit you cite doesn't really agree with your statement. If the canucks were a LONG way off from posing a threat to the brits then so were the americans to the canucks. Just sayin' 12 vs. 8 point deficit....not a big spread.

The British didn't send even CLOSE to their top team. They already had a spot secured for the Olympics. What we saw at WEG was the B team. That is what is scary. They are that deep and that good. We are ALL playing catch up to them.

sisu27
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:31 PM
The British didn't send even CLOSE to their top team. They already had a spot secured for the Olympics. What we saw at WEG was the B team. That is what is scary. They are that deep and that good. We are ALL playing catch up to them.

Ummm....true. I am a bit too literal perhaps. And that hurt a bit :)

So that begs the question why are the brits such a superpower and how or who best understands how to create such a machine??

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
I lost all respect for the OConnors when they joined up with the Pepperonis.

2ndyrgal
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
So that begs the question why are the brits such a superpower and how or who best understands how to create such a machine?? (Quote)

Because we got stuck with CMP

deltawave
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
Maybe because the British export their second-tier horses AND coaches to the US, and keep the best at home. :D

I think it has to do with number of horse-people per capita. Places like Germany and the UK have GOT to have a higher ratio, at least that's what I perceive.

fooler
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:57 PM
An observation:

Whenever I attend a JW clinic, I ask "What is your goal this weekend?" Jimmy almost always provides a brief summary, based in large part on what he has observed at recent competitions and clinics. Plus he shares what he has learned in other clinics, conversations, etc.

Have only audited one Dutton clinic. His response to the same question. . . "Get the horse over the fence".

Not a bad answer as ultimately both have the same goal. The difference is Jimmy 'appears to be' more verbal which could help him with a variety of competitors. In the few exchanges I have had with Dutton, he has been very polite, correct and quiet.

So my vote is for JW.:D

deltawave
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:19 PM
I think just on the basis of communication skills alone JW would win, hands down. And I'm very well aware that the chef d'equipe's job description does not include "let's not alienate the smurfs who pay the bills", but it cannot possibly hurt to have our sport's titular leader and "face" be a guy who can string two (or two thousand) words together in an engaging way. Humorous, even! Oh lord, would it kill us to have a little bit of fun contemplating the rarefied air of the upper levels? :lol:

Obviously they've all got the "chops" in being successful horsemen, teachers, and competitors. It's so hard to measure the intangible things that make a coach able to lead a team. But I'd put money on Wofford simply because he can SPEAK and WRITE and display his obvious passion and depth of thinking in a way that people can clearly see.

retreadeventer
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:38 PM
An observation:

Whenever I attend a JW clinic, I ask "What is your goal this weekend?" Jimmy almost always provides a brief summary, based in large part on what he has observed at recent competitions and clinics. Plus he shares what he has learned in other clinics, conversations, etc.

Have only audited one Dutton clinic. His response to the same question. . . "Get the horse over the fence".

Not a bad answer as ultimately both have the same goal. The difference is Jimmy 'appears to be' more verbal which could help him with a variety of competitors. In the few exchanges I have had with Dutton, he has been very polite, correct and quiet.

So my vote is for JW.:D

I have learned MUCH more at Dutton clinics than JW clinics, personally. I beg to differ about the quiet part. Phillip will talk at length about any intelligent question you want to ask. I have never ridden with him that he didn't take the time to explain a concept or something in detail. Don't know why people say that. This criticism pops up once in a while and it always makes me shake my head! At my last clinic, he stopped us in the midst of a XC school to explain a concept and took a good 10-15 minutes to go over it in detail for riders and spectators! I've ridden with him on and off for about 5 years and just hate this criticism because it's simply not true. I love his clinics and always come away with tons of learning moments. You've got to listen. JW talks more and he's just different in the way he approaches teaching. You can learn from both; I learn more, I've found, from Phillip. That's just me.

We all learn differently. How one is taught in a clinic or lesson at OUR level doesn't have a whole lot to do with coordinating an international squad for overseas competition. They don't need to learn how to ride. They need figure a way to get the right people and horses on the teams, and then figure the best way to win the darn events. Being a clever author is great but we need a coach who can put together winning teams.

Frizzle
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:40 PM
Woff! Woff! WOFF!!

Please excuse my enthusiasm. :lol:

fooler
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
I have learned MUCH more at Dutton clinics than JW clinics, personally. I beg to differ about the quiet part. Phillip will talk at length about any intelligent question you want to ask. I have never ridden with him that he didn't take the time to explain a concept or something in detail. Don't know why people say that. This criticism pops up once in a while and it always makes me shake my head! At my last clinic, he stopped us in the midst of a XC school to explain a concept and took a good 10-15 minutes to go over it in detail for riders and spectators! I've ridden with him on and off for about 5 years and just hate this criticism because it's simply not true. I love his clinics and always come away with tons of learning moments. You've got to listen. JW talks more and he's just different in the way he approaches teaching. You can learn from both; I learn more, I've found, from Phillip. That's just me.

We all learn differently. How one is taught in a clinic or lesson at OUR level doesn't have a whole lot to do with coordinating an international squad for overseas competition. They don't need to learn how to ride. They need figure a way to get the right people and horses on the teams, and then figure the best way to win the darn events. Being a clever author is great but we need a coach who can put together winning teams.

Thanks for the input on Dutton. As stated before, that was my only time meeting him in 'teaching' environment.

Regarding your last paragraph - if potential team riders "knew how to ride", then they wouldn't need the use of the jumper and dressage coaches.;)
Everyone needs "ground eyes" to fine tune, push past an issue or whatever that horse/rider combo requires. Plus we need someone to find, guide, mold the 2014+ teams. And in the process not turn off a large majority of the sport.

retreadeventer
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:11 PM
Fooler, a coach isn't a trainer. They can be. But we (USET event squad) don't need a trainer. That was 40 years ago. We need a good selector and talent spotter, organizer and promoter who can attract sponsors (money), keep the peace, a horseman who knows what we should be doing in the last month before a big event, and makes us WIN. Who freakin' cares if he can teach a good jumping lesson. Don't win gold medals there.

fooler
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
Fooler, a coach isn't a trainer. They can be. But we (USET event squad) don't need a trainer. That was 40 years ago. We need a good selector and talent spotter, organizer and promoter who can attract sponsors (money), keep the peace, a horseman who knows what we should be doing in the last month before a big event, and makes us WIN. Who freakin' cares if he can teach a good jumping lesson. Don't win gold medals there.

Results of a coach at the last WEG:
USA SJ:
1 clear round
1 rail+stop
1 rail
1 rail+time

So yes we need all you listed above, plus we need someone who can teach a good jumping lesson to Eventers.:D

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:46 PM
But I'd put money on Wofford simply because he can SPEAK and WRITE and display his obvious passion and depth of thinking in a way that people can clearly see.

Exactly. I'll also say...I like Phillip...I could absolutely see him as the Chef (after Jimmy). I've ridden with him in a clinic and seen him teach. Phillip is an incredible competitor and that is a skill he gives to a lot of riders. Even if Jimmy is made Chef...I'm sure Phillip will still be very involved in the training of many riders and very involved in the sport in other ways (as he is now).

Jimmy is a stickler for perfection, polish and very focused on effective position. He studies the why and how in detail. Phillip is a more natural rider and more of a get the job done type. Nothing wrong with either...and an elite rider should benefit from both

But one of Jimmy's most impressive skills is his observation..and he is second to none in that area. I saw him improve Boyd Martin's riding in one lesson by fixing a few small things. He can improve an elite rider.

One example of Jimmy's observation skills.....he was teaching a friend of mine who he didn't know in a xc clinic. I was watching her ride...she looked really pretty good. About 15 minutes into the lesson, he casually asks if she was having any trouble with her left eye. Turns out she had just gotten over shingles and did have some minor spotting in her left eye--you could NOT see it looking at her. I didn't notice anything in her riding to indicate trouble with her left eye or any eye....but Jimmy did. She relayed Jimmy's comment to her eye doctor and he was floored that Jimmy could tell. He is THAT scary observant....and can make very minor adjustments that can take a rider to the next level...even an elite rider.

Anyway...I think that the job of Chef is more than just about the elite riders (although that is a large part of the job). I think at this stage.....we need someone who can communicate (in speaking and writing) and bring the eventing community together. I know that Jimmy cares about that and I think he is just about the only one at this point in time who may be able to narrow the gap in our eventing community.

deltawave
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:16 PM
Anyway...I think that the job of Chef is more than just about the elite riders (although that is a large part of the job). I think at this stage.....we need someone who can communicate (in speaking and writing) and bring the eventing community together. I know that Jimmy cares about that and I think he is just about the only one at this point in time who may be able to narrow the gap in our eventing community.

Yes, thank you, that's mainly what I was trying to say. :) I'm sure any of these candidates could bring a lot to the table in terms of making the up-and-coming riders better, but this position is also public, front-and-center, and the sport needs a shot of vigor and enthusiasm that I think JW could best provide, in addition to his obvious talents at ringside and walking courses.

Black Points
Jan. 25, 2011, 11:17 PM
Have to chime in here...my vote would be for Jimmy too. I like David and Phillip and Bobby and have done clinics with all but Jimmy. But Jimmy is at the best stage of his equestrian life, IMHO, to take over and get the USA into the medals.

I'd hate to lose Phillip and all his horses quite yet and David is still young enough to help the Canadians more and give us a good competition for medals. Then David might be ready to take over from Jimmy.

Looking forward to seeing the end result of the voting.

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

Gnep
Jan. 26, 2011, 12:17 AM
Maybe because the British export their second-tier horses AND coaches to the US, and keep the best at home. :D

I think it has to do with number of horse-people per capita. Places like Germany and the UK have GOT to have a higher ratio, at least that's what I perceive.

Both countries have full time head national coaches, not part time, and on top of it they have special disciplin coaches, dresage, x-c and stadium. They top it with a stelar youth program, from pony kiddos to young riders.
One should take a look at those programs, the quality and who their coaches are and were and you know, why those countries are so strong.

We had a partime coach, no youth program and extremly regionalised young rider program.
Is their a National Young Rider Coach.
Who of the young rider program of the last 10 years is in National Team, no body. Britain, Germany, Canada had new faces, exiting new young faces, former young riders.
The Brits got Team Gold, The Germans ( with a former young rider ) individual Gold, the Canadians with the youngest Team, Team Silver. The US with an Oldy Team, old faces, on home turf, nothing. Home turf, advanatge home team.

I would like the next coach to be fulltime and I would like to know befor he becomes coach, what is his idea to get new, fresh, young high quality riders in the Team. How to rebuilt it. What we got now aint worth a damm international, any more. Past by, overtaken.

The people who apply for the job should explain to US, not to the USEF, what their vision and their ideas are. Its nice to put an application in, but the people who pay them, members, should at least know were they come from, if not decide who it should be.

vineyridge
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:23 AM
Show Jumpers have certainly had success with an icon from the past as their chef. If any of the candidates have the vision of GM as far as bringing young riders into international competition, eventing can't help being better for it.

The fact that GM still does clinics gets new faces in front of him and helps with talent scouting.

BaroquePony
Jan. 26, 2011, 06:55 PM
Posted by deltawave:

Agree with this ^ and would like to ad that his cavalry background means he understands basics and the necessity of a good foundation.

retreadeventer
Jan. 26, 2011, 08:11 PM
Results of a coach at the last WEG:
USA SJ:
1 clear round
1 rail+stop
1 rail
1 rail+time

So yes we need all you listed above, plus we need someone who can teach a good jumping lesson to Eventers.:D

The problem was not that they could not ride. The problem was what they were riding on Sunday wasn't the best we had with 2 exceptions -- both out of the True Prospect Farm connection! The best of the horses were beat to death in Chattahoochee, and the marginally talented ones ended up on the squad by default. That was not the rider's doing. That was the TEAM plan. Again, we need horses. We have the riders. They are very talented. But they are not riding the ilk of Moorlands Totilas. And that's what we're up against. If we don't come into these events with the very best, what shot do we have on Sunday? (And by the way the showjumping team also would "need jumping lessons"?)

fooler
Jan. 26, 2011, 08:37 PM
The problem was not that they could not ride. The problem was what they were riding on Sunday wasn't the best we had with 2 exceptions -- both out of the True Prospect Farm connection! The best of the horses were beat to death in Chattahoochee, and the marginally talented ones ended up on the squad by default. That was not the rider's doing. That was the TEAM plan. Again, we need horses. We have the riders. They are very talented. But they are not riding the ilk of Moorlands Totilas. And that's what we're up against. If we don't come into these events with the very best, what shot do we have on Sunday? (And by the way the showjumping team also would "need jumping lessons"?)

Never said they couldn't ride, rather I question if they were prepared correctly. We agree that everyone was 'tested and tested' in order to pick a team which most likely exhausted both horse and rider.
Agree that we do not have the depth of horses. IMO - In part because of the current team selection process many owners will not put their horses in that position. I know I wouldn't.
PD is a good horseman who has produced many horses and a number of upper level riders. However his record and experience is not that of Wofford who has had at least one student on each US Team since 1978. I believe Wofford is the right person for now. Paving the way for PD as his successor.

No comment on the SJ team as I don't know all of the particulars beyond it was a disappointment for all.

PonyGal08
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:24 PM
Should we toss the Hoys into the mix? RUMOR: Bettina and Andrew Hoy to apply (http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/01/rumor-bettina-and-andrew-hoy-to-apply.html)

I personally have a soft spot for Jimmy Wofford. :)

Becky Rocky
Jan. 27, 2011, 02:55 PM
Great thread -

I feel very familiar with Jimmy, Phillip, and Bobby - my daughter has ridden in several clinics/lessons and I know the style of all three. Strengths and weaknesses with each. She has walked away with a great deal from these experiences.

I may have missed it in earlier posts, there are many, I've tried to read them all carefully. I haven't heard anyone comment on DOC and his style, personality, how he teaches/coaches and connects to the riders. Has anyone on the thread ridden with him? What is he like as a person? Obviously accomplished, well connected, familiar with our country and up and coming riders. I am honestly curious, as I do not know him personally like the above.

Thanks for shedding light -

Foxtrot's
Jan. 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
Just keep your hands off David O'Connor. He has made progress with our team and they are all young talent - we are hopeful for 2012 in London .... in eventing anything can happen, of course. Even the mighty can fall and little ole Canada can come up through the middle and surprise everyone.

anonymous101
Jan. 28, 2011, 08:45 AM
Great thread -

I feel very familiar with Jimmy, Phillip, and Bobby - my daughter has ridden in several clinics/lessons and I know the style of all three. Strengths and weaknesses with each. She has walked away with a great deal from these experiences.

I may have missed it in earlier posts, there are many, I've tried to read them all carefully. I haven't heard anyone comment on DOC and his style, personality, how he teaches/coaches and connects to the riders. Has anyone on the thread ridden with him? What is he like as a person? Obviously accomplished, well connected, familiar with our country and up and coming riders. I am honestly curious, as I do not know him personally like the above.

Thanks for shedding light -

I have ridden with David a few times, and he is the best coach I've come across. I haven't met a coach yet who has so much of a bundle of knowledge as him, he focuses on the refined things and how the horse thinks. heres a link that could give you a little more info abt how someone else thinks david is..... http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/01/thoughts-on-david-leading-team-usa.html

Becky Rocky
Jan. 28, 2011, 09:37 AM
Thank you for the link, I try to get to Eventing Nation when I have time and hadn't read that article yet, wonderful. I feel in my gut he's what is best for our eventing team.

retreadeventer
Jan. 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
We are only discussing (and the poll only shows) three applications. From what I read on EN, and other sources, there may be up to six applications.
Makes our discussons a bit moot, eh?
But it's important again to reiterate that the plans these various applicants bring to the table make the biggest difference, and we do NOT have access to these plans.

Regardless of how fondly we feel for one applicant over another, feelings don't have a hill of beans to do with it. We need a RESCUE coach for the US Event Team! One who can hit the ground running and whip the program into shape quickly.

How the guys or gals can teach US is nice to relate, but doesn't mean SQUAT in the long-term reality of international competition. We need one shrewd bugger, folks, not a Happy Pillgiver. The person picked doesn't need to whip US into shape. I don't want a "Nice Guy" running the team because we know where Nice Guys finish. I want to win GOLD MEDALS like I know we CAN win. We are the greatest nation on earth, we can be the best, we have done it before.

Oh Selection Committee, pick the BEST person for the job, not the one the COTH experts THINK should be the one! (Although that's fine with me, if it ends up being the same person!)