PDA

View Full Version : Kineton noseband - steering

Sonoma City
Jan. 24, 2011, 05:55 PM
I'm thinking of trying a Kineton on my guy who gets strong xc and grabs the bit and pulls down. I've read a number of threads discussing them, and a lot of people say that they have issues steering when they tried one. Can anyone explain to me why this is? The only thing I could think of is if you rely on your reins to steer instead of your seat/legs, and the kineton is relatively tight so the pressure gets applied to the nose instead of the bars of the mouth. That seems an extreme case though.

cowgurl1985
Jan. 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
I got a Kineton for my horse who pulls like crazy on xc and I HATED it and so did he. He tossed his head the entire time I had it on him. I didnt have any issues steering seeing I dont steer my horse with my reins.. So I'd def borrow one and try it on your horse before investing in one.

vbunny
Jan. 24, 2011, 07:25 PM
Borrow one first if you can. Some horses they work great on, some not at all, you'll just have to find out yourself on your horse. I never had steering issues with them.

cindywilson
Jan. 24, 2011, 07:33 PM
At Jil Walton's suggestion, I put a kineton (w/ a pelham w/ rein converters) on my former mount who pulled like a freight train. Loved it! No steering issues; it was like riding a hunter around a prelim XC course. And he didn't resent it. Borrow one and give it a try.