PDA

View Full Version : Anyone event and Incurable optimist baby?

silver pine
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm looking at a 5 y/o OTTB as an eventing prospect and was wondering if anyone out there was or has competed with one?
Thanks!
S.P.

Eventer55
Jan. 23, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm looking at a 5 y/o OTTB as an eventing prospect and was wondering if anyone out there was or has competed with one?
Thanks!
S.P.

My response is why are you questioning it? If he's 5 and still sound you have a great deal going for you. I just worked with a 4 yr old coming 5 OTTB, not much difference. My trainer owned her and sold her or I would still be working her. Lots of horses come off the track older than 5.

If you're thinking the age is a factor, for me he's still a baby at 5. I think this is what you're getting at. . . yes, no? Let us know what you decide and what happens.

silver pine
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
She has actually been off the track for a year, lightly trail ridden, stated over fences and has the basics w-t-c.
She is a lovely mare, but her feet are not great (long toe-low heel) and I was just curious if anyone else was competing one and had experience with their soundness, temperament ect.

Of course having the same sire does not mean any guarantees, I was just curious what other peoples experiences were. I will of course have the horse fully vetted prior to purchase.

Justa Bob
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:38 PM
Ok, I think the title might be clearer if it read:

"Has anyone evented any Incurable Optimist's offspring?"

When I read it, I was thinking you wanted to know if you needed to be an incurable optimist to try eventing a 5 yo...(Or something to that effect).

Here is his pedigree:
http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=4038073

(You could also post your horse's pedigree since the dam is also important.)

Posting on the racing forum might also garner a few more responses, and/or adding OTTB to your title.

Good luck!

Eventer55
Jan. 23, 2011, 08:20 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Yep, I thought the poster was an incurable optimist. . . Sorry, now I can't help you. But good luck with whatever you decide!

olympicdreams04
Jan. 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
My $0.02. I have a 10 yo gray gelding that is by Incurable Optimist. He is a freak of nature in every way. He is a phenominal mover, an amazingly fearless jumper, and too athletic for his good and mine. He has battled bad feet his entire life, however (I have known him since he was a yearling) and from ages 2-7 he was absolutely unmanageable. Seriously there were times I was pretty sure he was going to kill us both, either directly or through frustration. But he has grown up exponentially in the past two years and is even a lesson horse these days in addition to an Intermediate eventer. I have ridden several other IOs and they all seem to have a screw loose but are athletic enough to make up for it. Good luck!

Justa Bob
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:19 PM
Here's my 2 cents. I am shopping for an OTTB too, and have been reading lots of threads and hundreds of wonderful posts on how to choose a horse that matches my needs.

Rule #1: always evaluate the horse in front of you. Irregardless of pedigree. Pedigree gives you some interesting information, but the horse in front of you might have none or some or all of the problems of his parents. Pedigree is much more important for breeding, but again, the breeder needs to look at the horse to be bred for temperament and conformation, etc. And pedigree just is part of the equation.

So, what is his conformation, temperament, PPE (if done), movement....? The sire/dam doesn't necessarily make it a deal breaker.