PDA

View Full Version : Fence long format

TXnGA
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hi,

I was wondering why the Fence June long format event was cancelled. Looking at the omnibus today, it leaves few T3D events available in the south east ( Heart of the Carolinas is an option- but it is the same weekend as Rolex, which is a bummer) otherwise next options are MT, VT, KS, AZ or waiting until the fall. Did the FL horse park ever run a T3D?

TIA!

Hannahsmom
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:28 PM
There's one first weekend in Indiana in June, a T3D

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'm so bummed!!! I was totally going to do it too!!!

Indiana is SOOOOOOO Far for some of us.

Though I will say KY's was FANTASTIC!!!!!

LAZ
Jan. 23, 2011, 05:39 PM
I think Fence was one of the sparsely attended T3DE's last year....maybe they decided it wasn't worth the financial commitment.

Oberon13
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:47 PM
I was bummed as well. There weren't a lot of entries last year, but it was a fantastic opportunity to see a long format without driving far from home! And, I was teaching an equine class for a local community college (a general, "here's everything to do with horses!" kind of class for beginners) at the time, and we went to see it (had friends doing the horse trials that ran that weekend, too)...watched the vet checks, walked around xc, then had great views of the steeplechase....good stuff. Bummer that it wasn't worth the expense... :(

LAZ
Jan. 23, 2011, 07:06 PM
I was bummed as well. There weren't a lot of entries last year, but it was a fantastic opportunity to see a long format without driving far from home! And, I was teaching an equine class for a local community college (a general, "here's everything to do with horses!" kind of class for beginners) at the time, and we went to see it (had friends doing the horse trials that ran that weekend, too)...watched the vet checks, walked around xc, then had great views of the steeplechase....good stuff. Bummer that it wasn't worth the expense... :(

Sad but true, it might not be that it is not worth the expense, but rather that the rest of the show can't afford to subsidize a money losing proposition. Many events run too close the the financial edge to subsidize a T3DE (or a P3DE) if they do not get sufficient interest in the form of entries.

EventingChase
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:30 PM
I wish they had tried the June date though. I think it may have been better attended.

Last year's date was early April. That may have been pushing people who need qualifications, time to get their ponies fit, etc.

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:21 PM
I agree with EC! I got my final qualifying ride at FENCE running regular Training and would have done it in a heartbeat instead if the rules hadn't just changed requiring that 4th as opposed to letting the officials decide. Was really hoping to do it this year.

Wonder if we could convince them to reinstate it?! :)

CapturinYerRide
Jan. 24, 2011, 07:37 AM
Wonder if we could convince them to reinstate it?! :)

Highly unlikely... It came down to the fact that the cost of conducting and prepping all of the grounds for this one division far outweighed the revenues from the small number of entries they got for it. There is also a break-even number of overall entries for this horse trial to begin with, and that was not even met. The new management just couldn't justify having it again.

For the June show, while that one shows cancelled on the USEA site, it is still going to be held as a regular unrecognized trials, though it is undetermined as of now if it will be held over one or two days.

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks Mark. Such a shame... it really is SUCH a nice place to show.... especially the 3 day!

Bummer about it being unrec. now, but I understand....

tldickinson
Jan. 24, 2011, 07:36 PM
I was planning on it too, assuming I qualified :/

cbsh13
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:59 PM
I was planning on this one too! So bummed they cancelled it...guess I will have to wait until KY! :-(

BarnBrat
Jan. 28, 2011, 11:18 AM
What about Southern Eights?