PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one left who prefers the look of a velvet helmet?

ArabDiva
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
Whenever I come across helmet threads in dressage or hunters, it seems like the consensus is for Charles Owen or GPA or fancy technical helmets with stripes and bubbles and vents all over.

Personally, I just love the classy, traditional look of a plain black velvet helmet! Mine is an IRH Olympian. I even wear it for schooling just because I like it.

Am I in the minority??

mypaintwattie
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:29 PM
I love the traditional look of the velvet helmet, but right now have an IRH with the skunk stripe. When it comes time to replace it I'll be back in velvet, it never goes out of style!

Quibbler
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
Mine is velvet - the stripes and such are just a trend.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
I don't prefer velvet over suede just because the suede is easier to care for, and it wears longer. But the stripes and contrasting vents and such, no thanks. If the vets match the rest of the helmet, that's fine, but I don't like drawing attention away from the horse with flashy helmets, coats, etc.

NowThatsATrot
Jan. 23, 2011, 05:01 PM
I do prefer the classic velvet look, too... But I wear a navy coat, so I'm saving up for a plain, velvet helmet that matches. :)

Wayside
Jan. 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
I just like plain black helmets. The texture doesn't really bother me either way appearance-wise, though velvet is harder to keep looking clean and fresh, imo.

JLR1
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:39 PM
I do prefer the classic velvet look, too... But I wear a navy coat, so I'm saving up for a plain, velvet helmet that matches. :)

Me too! Navy coat, pretty navy velvet helmet to match!:)

Carli
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
Love my velvet Charles Owen Hamptons. I feel the same way!

dwblover
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
You are not alone, I love velvet helmets! So classic!!

mjhco
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:42 PM
So sad too bad. I appreciate the vents of the newer models. I DO NOT appreciate the heat that builds up in the 'traditional' velvet helmets. I DO NOT appreciate the maintenance of traditional velvet helmets.

PiaffePlease
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:10 PM
I too love the look of the velvet helmets and thats what I show in.

honeylips
Jan. 24, 2011, 02:02 AM
Love my velvet Charles Owen Hamptons. I feel the same way!

Me too - I have one in black and one in navy!

SevenDogs
Jan. 24, 2011, 03:26 AM
I show in an approved velvet helmet for dressage and jump in a GPA. I actually owned the GPA first, and bought velvet for a dressage show I went to, specifically because I like the look of velvet in the dressage arena. :)

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 24, 2011, 07:17 AM
I love the look of the traditional velvet, but sadly every time I showed in one as a kid I got heat stroke to some degree so there aren't many happy memories associated with it.

Ajierene
Jan. 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
I love my Troxel low profile velvet helmet for shows. I have been wearing a velvet helmet for over 20 years and do not like the look of the new show helmets with the vents and stripes.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
I like a helmet that fits. And the one that fits me best is the IRH Equivent. I do like the look of the velvet for showing, but it's not worth it to me to compromise fit or if it is so expensive that it's the equivalent of a couple months of board costs.

EasyStreet
Jan. 24, 2011, 12:55 PM
I like them and have one too, but I have found myself lately looking at the plastic vented bicyle looking type for summer schooling.

mjhco
Jan. 24, 2011, 01:29 PM
Question to those who love velvet.

How do you deal with schooling in your velvet helmets every day.

How do you clean them on the inside. And on the outside?

atr
Jan. 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
Velvet is for shows only... everyday I'm in a Tipperary!

BetterOffRed
Jan. 24, 2011, 01:45 PM
I had a 'low profile' velvet helmet...I hated it. It made my head look HUGE. The new, low profile IRH, GR8s look so much better on my head.

Ibex
Jan. 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
I personally prefer the more modern look of the micro suede, either vented or not. Velvet makes as much sense as wool coats in the heat. This is supposed to be a sport, and is one of the only ones where the attire hasn't kept up with modern advances.

mp
Jan. 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
I like a helmet that fits.

That's what is important to me.

My schooling helmet never very comfortable. My velvet show helmet fit great, but it was 6 years old. When Courtney King-Dye had her accident last year, I decided it was time to replace both and treated myself to a GR8. It's my schooling and show helmet -- just wipe it off with a tack sponge and it's ready for the show ring. And it's so comfortable, I forget I have it on.

Personally, I really don't care what kind of helmet people show in. I'm just glad they're wearing one.

Arizona DQ
Jan. 24, 2011, 02:18 PM

Same here. I ride in the Tipperary Sportage every day, and save the Velvet for shows only. :winkgrin:

suzier444
Jan. 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'm a velvet lover, even for schooling. I have a Charles Owen, but it is velvet. It also has the tan straps, which I prefer over black. It does get hot in the summer, but the make/model fits me really really well. And honestly once I'm riding I could be wearing an osterich on my head and I wouldn't feel it.

NowThatsATrot
Jan. 24, 2011, 02:25 PM

Ditto this, although my velvet Troxel isn't too bad in the summer... After a few hours in the sun I wilt no matter what I'm wearing.

Wayside
Jan. 24, 2011, 02:27 PM

I have a velvet helmet that I only ever used for shows, so it never really got very dirty. A lot more preventative maintenance to keep it clean than anything. It lived in a bag or box, and had a cover that only came off for showing. Though it's getting pretty old now, so I'm contemplating retiring it and getting something I can hose off :lol:

netg
Jan. 24, 2011, 05:34 PM
Same here. I ride in the Tipperary Sportage every day, and save the Velvet for shows only. :winkgrin:

A ditto to that.

My velvet IRH has vents in it, so it breathes much more than the older "traditional" velvet helmets - but the vents are hidden compared to the more trendy types of helmets.

Sport or not, I love the look of the top hat. Since I won't wear one even if I make it to the levels where it would be acceptable, I may as well go with the most traditional remaining option as consolation!

Carli
Jan. 24, 2011, 09:25 PM
I've got a Tipperary vented in brown for schooling and a brown and a navy Charles Owen Hampton for showing. I love the look of velvet, but the Tipperary is so economical for tossing it around in the barn without worrying about getting the lovely velvet dirty.

magienoire
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
That's what is important to me.

My schooling helmet never very comfortable. My velvet show helmet fit great, but it was 6 years old. When Courtney King-Dye had her accident last year, I decided it was time to replace both and treated myself to a GR8. It's my schooling and show helmet -- just wipe it off with a tack sponge and it's ready for the show ring. And it's so comfortable, I forget I have it on.

Personally, I really don't care what kind of helmet people show in. I'm just glad they're wearing one.

Ditto, tritto, and quadritto. I have a really hard to fit head, so when my schooling helmet died, I got a CO AYR8, just because it was the only thing that fit. My show helmet (an old Troxel velvet thing) has never fit that terribly well, and it is due for replacement just based on age alone. I've finally found a nice navy jacket in a light technical fabric, so I'll be able to wear my CO navy helmet with it. If you don't like the silver inset too bad, but at least my head won't be broiled and I'll be comfy and safe in it.

lazydaisyd
Jan. 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
I love velvet, and have a new black velvet Charles Owen that is so pretty, but it seems much too nice for everyday. It stays in it's special bag. If I ever show, I will wear it. I get dirty and sweaty and the tack room at my barn gets very dusty. I have a solid brown Charles Owen microfiber--solid color, no skunk stripe for me...that is my everyday helmet.

swgarasu
Jan. 25, 2011, 02:04 PM

How do I deal? I've worn a black velvet helmet for 20 years. Not really a big problem. Never came close to passing out except maybe in 100+ degree heat and 90% humidity during the 4-H fari when I was a kid.

How do you clean them:
Inside: remove lining, throw in washing machine
Outside: Don't get it dirty. Use a helmet cover. Take that off and wash it when it gets dirty.

I love velvet, but it is a pain to clean. I'll probably give up and buy a seperate schooling helmet with a hard finish and keep my velvet one for shows. Still no stripes for me though. :)

katarine
Jan. 25, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have to have a vented helmet on my head. I suppose I run hot, I don't know what to tell you, but a normal non vented helmet? No way.

I don't care for the striped sort, but it doesn't give me the vapors either way.

blackhorsegirl
Jan. 26, 2011, 10:32 AM
I like velvet for showing licensed shows. Use regular helmet for schooling. Try to avoid stripes or decorations. I hate velvet helmet covers. Either get a velvet helmet or leave them off.

ridealot
Jan. 26, 2011, 10:55 AM
Velvet looks so much better. Nice and polished.......however I might have to add that I am a very picky dressage rider. I like black or white and that is it...........no crazy colors. For me to step out of the box is going navy blue :)
Everyones head moves when they ride and watching a big neon pink helmet going up and down sticks out like a sore thumb. Look at the bright side I had a client show up one time with a bedazzled helmet.......glitter, beads and stickers and it was not a child this was a 30 plus year old women. :)