PDA

View Full Version : DVCTA - huh?

retreadeventer
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
I'm not in the know about this but can someone tell me why all the eventing-oriented people opted out of offices for the upcoming year in DVCTA?
This group has long been both dressage and eventing oriented, but as I say, not being a part of the inner sanctum, have no idea why now the event people appear to be not going forward into 2011.
I wonder if this will impact the events at Carousel Farm Park in Wilmington, DE., which have been sponsored by DVCTA leadership in years past. Does anyone have any knowledge to share on this subject?
It would immensely helpful to those of us in this area who are planning calendars and mapping out stuff for the year. A lot of what is available to do impacts my wallet, my job and vacation planning, what horses and students I plan to get ready, etc. Would be nice if calendars would be posted or plans aired as soon as people are thinking about the dates. So far only Fair Hill and Olde Hope have some days listed.
Anyone?

LLDM
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:44 PM
Honestly, I have no idea. But every time there is controversy in the DVCTA, it seems to come back to DaD (Dressage at Devon) somehow. I'll guess this does too. <Shrug>

SCFarm

kcrubin
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:13 PM
I would think it's a matter of people getting tired but I don't know firsthand. I hope the events continue!

Ajierene
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:19 PM
I heard through the grapevine that the horse trials at Carousel park are going to be recognized by the USEA soon. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

retreadeventer
Jan. 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
Oh that would be great! Altho the XC course will need a major upgrade if so. There aren't enough jumps meeting standards at present for novice and training level and the faces would need to be improved -- some are not wide enough. That might require some (sigh) cash in order to get the portables built and moved and set up, or permanent things improved. They've got a nice little water complex. The stadium would also have to be improved, but that's easily done. What a good thing if it can be pulled off!

Brandy76
Jan. 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
I "heard" there was a big shake up, but that the ht's will be going forward. They are trying to possibly get one of the ht's recognized. Hope they keep at least one unrecognized, though. Easier on the budget.

The shakeup happened outside the club, but affected members. That's all I know.

faybe
Jan. 24, 2011, 01:40 PM
I heard through the grapevine that the horse trials at Carousel park are going to be recognized by the USEA soon. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I think that's the plan, at least what I gathered from Jeff. At least, they had him out to look at the courses and want him to do some work to get it ready. Don't know anything about the leadership though!

Warmblooded707
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:49 PM
Honestly, I have no idea. But every time there is controversy in the DVCTA, it seems to come back to DaD (Dressage at Devon) somehow. I'll guess this does too. <Shrug>

SCFarm

This time you would guess wrong. DVCTA parted ways with their golden goose a couple years ago so now dear 'ol DAD is its own corporation and can be held accountable only for its own successes or foibles as the case may be. That being said, this post would be remiss if it neglected to point out that lots of good people parted ways with both entities before the dust settled and was a very sad state of affairs. In the long run, it seems the loss of experienced members would almost certainly hurt the GMO.
IMHO the GMO traded its goose for a handful of beanstalk beans but all the 'smart people' at the time thought it was just the ticket for both. You'd have to ask the DVCTA board members how it's workin' for them since most of the aforementioned 'smart people' are no where to be found in DVCTA-land.
Running events of any discipline requires hard work, money, innovative, dedicated and ambitious people and mega volunteers or at least, people willing to sacrifice time and to work like the horses they're endeavoring to provide a platform to strut their equine stuff.
For clubs to truly succeed, grow, and excel, interested persons must get up off the sofa or out of the saddle long enough to work for the events they want to see remain. One of the biggest complaints is never enough volunteer bodies. Everyone always hopes shows stick around, board members stick around, clubs stick around; well, it takes many different people to make that happen - not just the same, worn out dozen who are recylced thru board positions decade after decade because there are no new faces on the horizon. Absent the new and fresh you get the old and stale.
With the above in mind, the reason there are no eventers on the DVCTA board may just be an on-going lack of volunteerism; not a new problem.

JMurray
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:15 PM
You'd have to ask the DVCTA board members how it's workin' for them since most of the aforementioned 'smart people' are no where to be found in DVCTA-land.

I know you didn't really mean that those of us still in DVCTA land are not smart people? We are not those that went before and have left but we are the ones here now keeping it all going and care enough to stay. We have had an excellent board for the last couple of years and the new slate looks super too.

Running events of any discipline requires hard work, money, innovative, dedicated and ambitious people and mega volunteers or at least, people willing to sacrifice time and to work like the horses they're endeavoring to provide a platform to strut their equine stuff.
For clubs to truly succeed, grow, and excel, interested persons must get up off the sofa or out of the saddle long enough to work for the events they want to see remain. One of the biggest complaints is never enough volunteer bodies. Everyone always hopes shows stick around, board members stick around, clubs stick around; well, it takes many different people to make that happen .

This is absolutely true and we continue to work to provide vaue to the membership, but that is often limited by the people willing to volunteer.

- not just the same, worn out dozen who are recylced thru board positions decade after decade because there are no new faces on the horizon. Absent the new and fresh you get the old and stale..

I am not a board member but I publish the ENews e-mails and I have been a member since the 70's. I do not feel old and stale and neither do the rest of us.

With the above in mind, the reason there are no eventers on the DVCTA board may just be an on-going lack of volunteerism; not a new problem.

There are eventers on the 2011 board. The slate of Nominees is on the website if you want to verify that.

I have a query out to the board on what the plans are for the HTs this year. I will let you know what I hear back what the intent is. It has been a wildly popular DVCTA activity and has momentum.

-Jill Murray

JMurray
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:26 PM
The horse trials are scheduled. You can find all the info on the DVCTA website at
http://www.dvcta.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=62&Itemid=118

retreadeventer
Jan. 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks Jill.
I just noticed eventers that I know WERE on the ballot, but then were not. Don't know the eventers that are currently on ballot. I know all about the volunteer stuff. There is no question that's the backbone. I've done my time with DVCTA as a volunteer, and while my job sucks away a lot of my free time any more, I do what I can. This is the only horse trial in Delaware and there are a lot of people who could be utilized for these competitions that are not being communicated with. Network, network, network!

I do not agree with Warmblooded77 about DAD getting the good people. Not true. Things evolve, life goes on. You can't stay the same forever. DVCTA is a good organization with its ups and downs like all groups. DAD got what it wanted and it was time for the split. DVCTA has a lot of really good people in it in my opinion. In my opinion, the website and the newsletter improved immensely after the split. You finally could actually read the minutes and find out what was happening if you could not make the meetings, as is the case with me because of my job and heavy travel schedule.

I love the Carousel horse trials but I truly wish that one thing would happen there. If there is any way to do this, please get in a RECOGNIZED COURSE DESIGNER to improve the wonderful courses and make them even better. I know one who will work cheap and does a FANTASTIC job and this person has been up there schooling and knows the land and needs and can work within your budget. Even if you remain schooling. Having a credentialed someone give you a hand on layout is really a good thing to do; it creates good rideable courses that keep riders and horses safe and coming back. There are several unrecognized horse trials in our area and they don't use recognized course designers. And I think they are missing out on an easy improvement that would attract entries.

I love that park and it's so fun to go there and ride. I am so glad they've scheduled them this year. Thanks for the link!

JMurray
Jan. 25, 2011, 10:01 PM
I love the Carousel horse trials but I truly wish that one thing would happen there. If there is any way to do this, please get in a RECOGNIZED COURSE DESIGNER to improve the wonderful courses and make them even better. I know one who will work cheap and does a FANTASTIC job and this person has been up there schooling and knows the land and needs and can work within your budget.

Get in touch with Pam Wiedemann who is the organizer. I am sure she would love to talk to you about your great suggestion! She is on the board and is a professional eventer. She has been involved with these HTs from the beginning. Her contact info is on that link.

puddytat
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:08 PM
Warmblooded has a point: there was a slate presented a while ago and now there is a different one; so some good people have backed away from DVCTA - and does that not say that there has been a loss of talent??
Does not matter if you think it's the result of the members getting older; hey, it happens! Or if it is a difference of opinion, or just fatigue... the result is the same.
As well, the "smart people" referenced were the DAD'ers who forced the changes between DAD and DVCTA; and now they are no longer involved with the club; they got what they wanted from DVCTA and then went away. Oh yeah, they left that big pledge they made to the USDF Building Fund unfunded when they went. Please correct me if I"m wrong, but did DAD contribute to that pledge?
Now, there needs to be new folks coming along to keep the club going. I think that does happen, however, there are so many other choices (other CTA's) that everyone is competiting for members from the same group of possible members. How do you attract those people? By having great things for the members to do! A few years ago, there was a very great schedule of upcoming clinics; with top name clinicians; that got some good interest; that needs to continue!
Retread has a good idea as well; get the best people you can find to help the Carousel event, and build on it. Same thing for the dressage show that is run at Fair Hill.

faybe
Jan. 26, 2011, 01:23 PM
I love the Carousel horse trials but I truly wish that one thing would happen there. If there is any way to do this, please get in a RECOGNIZED COURSE DESIGNER to improve the wonderful courses and make them even better.

Pam has already done this- Jeff has been out to look at the courses with her and agreed to do the design. I think he's highly qualified (but I guess I'm biased, since I'm married to him :D). You can see all the courses he designs on his website (see my signature line).

retreadeventer
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
Faith, has he ever ridden there? Was he able to watch any of the competition last year? (the one was cancelled half way thru and only a couple got to ride XC) Being able to watch horses go, or ride, over the course is very important I think to good insightful design.

I am waiting for the site to load (for some reason the pages are very very slow to load) so I can read his resume and see what courses he's done -- I don't think I've ridden anything he's done to date. I look forward to it; Carousel has a lot of great natural features with the hills and the super water complex. Just needs some more substantial obstacles and more use of the terrain especially for training level. You can make it a nice course without making it hard up there, which is what I hope gets done, since a lot of introductory horses and riders compete there.

faybe
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:06 PM
Retread, he has not been to any of their events. He designs the BN-T at Morven, the Loudoun Hunt PC events, MCTA (new as of last fall) and all the CHP events (as of last spring). He also designs a few events in Michigan and builds for many others (VHT, Waredaca, Rubicon and a few others). He has his 'r' in course design and is currently working on his 'R'. He does the building and design full time and I think he would definitely agree with you, seeing how terrain rides is important. I think it also helps that he is a rider himself. I don't know why the website is being slow for you, I will see if I can't try to fix it.

retreadeventer
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:20 PM
Ah ha. Well I have ridden MCTA before (actually since it was started there I've won at several levels) and we all love it there; I hope may be this year I can go again. Haven't done any of the others he has listed but perhaps I can get to them this year! I always get started up at Carousel in spring when they open for schooling. Good luck on the big R. Tough to get! Takes a LOT of time and you have to know a lot of folks in the business. And I have no clue why that website takes so long to load on my computer. Over 5 minutes a page and I was on fast internet at the time. Probably something I did. It's always my fault.

Warmblooded707
Jan. 27, 2011, 09:29 PM
I know you didn't really mean that those of us still in DVCTA land are not smart people? We are not those that went before and have left but we are the ones here now keeping it all going and care enough to stay. We have had an excellent board for the last couple of years and the new slate looks super too.

This is absolutely true and we continue to work to provide vaue to the membership, but that is often limited by the people willing to volunteer.

I am not a board member but I publish the ENews e-mails and I have been a member since the 70's. I do not feel old and stale and neither do the rest of us.

There are eventers on the 2011 board. The slate of Nominees is on the website if you want to verify that.

I have a query out to the board on what the plans are for the HTs this year. I will let you know what I hear back what the intent is. It has been a wildly popular DVCTA activity and has momentum.

-Jill Murray

My reference to 'smart people' did indeed refer to the DAD'ers and their supporters that allowed them to run riot with and over the club's board to get their way in all things autonomous.
I ask you to please not make the assumption that those who left did not care enough to stay. No volunteer position is worth the price people I know and respect paid trying to preserve the club; 'then' was a different time and as they say 'walk a mile in my shoes'.

I suggest you read and compare your board minutes to years past - seriously, you could replace them with minutes from twenty years ago and there'd be very little difference - same people, doing same jobs, having same events, with same clinicians. Stale is perhaps in the eye of the beholder. I'm happy you do not feel old and stale but you must admit, many of the people on this year's slate and slates in the recent past, have been reconstituted and reincarnated numerous times. That has to speak for lack of fresh faces or a serious lack of interest by members. And no disrespect for those on the slate; many of them have worked hard for years for the club.

Kudos to the website - it is vastly improved and shows positive growth in that area.

By the way, I see no need to be defensive regarding the club - in it's day it used to boast over 400 members, and now, it does have more competition for the same member base. It's ok to be a small, local club. Just do what you do well:D

Warmblooded707
Jan. 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks Jill.
I do not agree with Warmblooded77 about DAD getting the good people. Not true. Things evolve, life goes on. You can't stay the same forever. DVCTA is a good organization with its ups and downs like all groups. DAD got what it wanted and it was time for the split.

To clarify - I meant due to the controversy with DAD, many good people left both DAD and DVCTA. The end did NOT justify the means.

You are right about one thing - DAD got what it wanted, but I seriously disagree that it was time for the split - and on that note I will say happy trails. :sadsmile:

JMurray
Feb. 4, 2011, 11:41 PM
Just back from DVCTA Annual Dinner.

Yup Jeff Kibbie doing the x-ctry course design. Also the Stadium jumps will all be upgraded, replaced.

Horse trial budget very healthy, made a profit last year. Will continue annually as 2 schooling horse trials. Not going recognized yet, not ready for that additional expense.

Have fun, and don't forget to volunteer!

-Jill

retreadeventer
Feb. 5, 2011, 12:01 AM
Excellent! Thanks!

scubed
Feb. 5, 2011, 08:45 AM
I saw Pam last weekend and will be volunteering in August. Looking forward to it, though may be sorry to miss riding there