PDA

View Full Version : Used dressage saddles?

Lucassb
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:13 PM
Can anyone suggest where it might be best to list a used dressage saddle for sale? Without mentioning specifics and contravening the no-advertising rules... it's a decent brand (Devoucoux) and in nearly new condition so I'd like to avoid the Ebay route if possible.

Help a hunter princess out and tell me where you guys do your shopping!

THANKS!

Ibex
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:17 PM
UDBB (paid)
Craigslist
Local GMO classifieds :)

Bogie
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
Trumbull Mountain
Pelham
Rick's Heritage Saddlery
Middleburgh Tack Exchange

They all have a good selection of saddles and carry high end brands.

If you don't mind the selling process the best way to get the most out of the sale is to sell directly using one of the free advertising sites (equine.com, bitsandbridles, etc.)

Lucassb
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! Sorry - I should have been more clear about what I was asking. I am definitely planning to sell it myself and was wondering about online sites - I am too cheap to pay the big consignment charge that most tack stores charge!

I will check out UDBB (er... is that ultimate dressage??? and equine.com etc) Hate to admit it as I am sure I should know this, but what's a GMO?

(you can laugh... I am sure I would!!)

Tiligsmom
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:44 PM
www.fine-used-saddles.com

If you find you're not having success selling on your own.

Lucassb
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:49 PM
www.fine-used-saddles.com

If you find you're not having success selling on your own.

Aw, thanks. But (like most shops) they take 20%... I am too cheap to give up that much!!! And I'm not in a huge hurry to sell, really... just trying to straighten up the tack room, weed stuff out that I am not going to use anymore...

alto
Jan. 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
Sort out your home website (I tried the link in your profile & had the opportunity to buy drugs!) & do a saddle photo-shoot similar to those over on the nice "used saddle" sites so online searches find your saddle.

HGS has an active classified board.

They are lovely saddles, unfortunately FP has to grow up some more before he gets another saddle :)

Bogie
Jan. 23, 2011, 01:33 PM
I have sold saddles on www.equine.com and www.equinesite.com. Both are free listings.

The Bits & Barter site might also work.

I think you could also be successful setting up a Facebook page with photos.

For that type of saddle, I'd not use Craig's list because you limit your market (not may people do a global Craig's list search).

I mostly sell saddles on Ebay and am always amazed by how far I ship them!

BTW, most tack stores now take closer to 30% of your sale :eek:.

ArabDiva
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hate to admit it as I am sure I should know this, but what's a GMO?

(you can laugh... I am sure I would!!)

I'm not laughing at you--GMO is a weird term. It stands for "Group Member Organization" -- http://www.usdf.org/clubs/gmo/

basically, your local dressage club.

joiedevie99
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:00 PM
As for GMO classifieds in this area, everyone uses NEDA. http://www.neda.org/forum/

NJRider
Jan. 23, 2011, 05:14 PM
Horseclicks.com, tacktrader.com are the ones I get the most responses from.

Lucassb
Jan. 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
Thank you for all the great suggestions. I will take some additional photos tonight and get to work on my ad!

Greatly appreciate everyone's help (and now I know what a GMO is, <grin>... I admit I have wondered about that for quite a few years!)

2tempe
Jan. 23, 2011, 07:25 PM
www.tacktrader.com I sold a 4 yr old County Perfection, odd tree size on there in under 4 weeks.
Many of these sites are free; some may charge a few $ to upload picture. If so, add one picture, keep a bunch of others to email to serious people. List the saddle on 3-4 sites.
Edited to add: I shipped mine from Fl. to British Columbia!

LEL
Jan. 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
I used Facebook, Craigslist, and Bits & Barter. I think it helps to list it on multiple sites. You could also try posting an ad on your tack store bulletin boards, or hang ads in your barn. I don't know how open other barns would be to this, but call around to some dressage barns and ask if you could hang an ad in their barn.

easyrider
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:16 PM
Hi there -- Try the NEDA (New England Dressage Association) bulletin board (www.neda.org).

mtngirl
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
It wasn't a dressage saddle, but I sold one on Tacktrader.com. Took 2 months and I probably had 35-40 "scam" responses. Finally wound up selling my saddle to a woman in Il.

I had also listed the saddle on Craigslist. Within 5 mintues of listing it on both Craigslist and Tacktrader I had scam responses. Both sites work, but just be forewarned you'll most likely get a ton of annoying scam emails.

Dressage_Julie
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:07 AM
Try www.dressagemarket.com too... I posted my saddle on that site. It was only $10 and included a picture.

Lucassb
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:13 PM
All really great suggestions, thank you SO much. I will be taking some good pictures and will post ads this weekend (as soon as I can get out to buy more batteries for the camera... we are having yet another snowstorm at the moment, *sigh*...)

Thank you for lending your expertise to this (dressage-clueless) hunter rider!!!

Cosette
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:38 PM
I just wanted to add that you might want to give Ebay a try - I've had great luck selling high quality saddles for the price I wanted on Ebay.

Creaghgal
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:36 PM
eBay is great!

Keep in mind the most eBay takes in final value fees is $50! I'd be out over $600 if I had the local tack store sell it for me.

I'm waiting to list another & in the meantime I have it on Tacktrader which doesn't seem to have an ounce of traffic compared to eBay.

sixpoundfarm
Jan. 26, 2011, 07:25 PM
Ebay has no listing fees, or minimum price requirements from 1/25-2/8, so no time like the present to put your stuff up. They do take a final value, but... lots more exposure.