PDA

View Full Version : USEF Board Approves Eventing Helmet Rule

claire
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
From Eventing Nation:

I have just confirmed from Lexington that the USEF Board approved the eventing helmet rule at their Sunday morning board meeting. The helmet rule proposal, DR 120, passed unanimously. The rule change will make ASTM approved and strapped helmets mandatory at all times when mounted at US national events. This will not affect rules in FEI divisions. At events with both FEI and USEF divisions, the FEI riders will not be required to wear helmets but the USEF riders will.

The USEA, USEF, and the eventers who helped shepherd the rule change through the USEF committees this week deserve a lot of credit for passing this rule. Eventing is the first discipline within the USEF to make helmets mandatory, which is just yet another example of how eventing is a leader in safety initiatives among equestrian sports. Go eventing.

As John says, it's nice to see that the eventing community does take the initiative to make safety changes in their sport.

(And not just blog about how another discipline should be more concerned about safety initiatives :winkgrin: )

Badger
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:30 AM
Yay!!!!

asterix
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:50 AM
+1
Very, very pleased.

CookiePony
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:30 PM
Three cheers for Eventing leading the way!

fordtraktor
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:31 PM
Well done eventers, what a sensible rule.

riderboy
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:58 PM
Yippee!! Very nice to see this done.

Lori T
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:58 PM
Three cheers! That is great!

mjhco
Jan. 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
This is good

DR120 is a Dressage Division rule brought forward from the USEF Dressage Committee. It was almost unanimously supported by GM and PM delegates at the USDF convention.

claire
Jan. 23, 2011, 01:54 PM
This is good

DR120 is a Dressage Division rule brought forward from the USEF Dressage Committee. It was almost unanimously supported by GM and PM delegates at the USDF convention.

This IS good! :cool:

But, does this mean helmets will be mandatory at ALL USEF events? Or is it just an 'eventing helmet rule' (as stated in the EN blog post)

Looking around...Janet...Janet...

VicariousRider
Jan. 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
This is so great. With all the bad eventing safety press this really demonstrates the community's commitment to making the sport safer.

Eventing Fashionistas: Go out a get a shiny new Brain Bucket!!

deltawave
Jan. 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
Yay us! :D

I had a patient in the hospital this weekend, a pleasure rider, and when he went home I wrote on his discharge papers: no riding for 2 weeks, after that WEAR A HELMET. Hee hee. :D

Janet
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:21 PM
This IS good! :cool:

But, does this mean helmets will be mandatory at ALL USEF events? Or is it just an 'eventing helmet rule' (as stated in the EN blog post)

Looking around...Janet...Janet...
It is still division-by-division.

The Eventing rule passed at the USEF, so helmets are required at Eventing

I don't know for sure which version of the Dressage rule change passed at the USEF, but it will make helmets required for Dressage (at least at the non-FEI levels).

Ote disciplines would have to propose their own rule changes.

Janet
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:22 PM
This is good

Yes, but what counts, in the end, is whether the USEF BoD voted for it this weekend.

Kementari
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:25 PM
Yay! I always knew eventers were the most sensible lot. :yes:

Noctis
Jan. 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
Wonderful! I am VERY glad to hear that it passed!

mjhco
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:39 PM
If DR120 did indeed get passed as is, that means that any riders competing in DRESSAGE competitions must abide by those rules.

Any rider competing in the National tests (Intro through 4th) must school and compete in helmets. FEI riders are exempt. And ALL junior riders (except in FEI events) must wear helmets.

So, us FEI competitors are free to mangle our heads.

blackwly
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:03 PM
I spoke as a neurosurgeon and an eventer to the USEF board of directors this weekend about traumatic brain injury and just want to say how impressed I was with how seriously the organization is taking this issue. This rule change reflects a lot of work over a long period of time, and I think it will save lives. It is not every day that we have the chance to do that, so this is an exciting day for horse sports!

Lola

poltroon
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:28 PM
Go Eventing. :D

retreadeventer
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
Yes. Good.

RAyers
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:08 PM
But I can still wear my tophat when walking courses and cleaning stalls?

Reed

Kementari
Jan. 24, 2011, 12:03 AM
Only if you post pictures.

poltroon
Jan. 24, 2011, 12:16 AM

Reed

We should probably make a new rule that you MUST wear a tophat while cleaning stalls. :D

Or, you should be talking on the phone to some guy who makes an eight-figure (or larger) annual income. Your choice. :D

JER
Jan. 24, 2011, 01:32 AM

Yes. And nothing else.

CarrieK
Jan. 24, 2011, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by RAyers

Yes. And nothing else.

w00t!!

SevenDogs
Jan. 24, 2011, 03:31 AM
Yes. And nothing else.

C'mon JER. In the interest of safety, I think he should also be allowed appropriate footwear. We are all about improving safety now, aren't we? :lol:

JER
Jan. 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
C'mon JER. In the interest of safety, I think he should also be allowed appropriate footwear. We are all about improving safety now, aren't we? :lol:

Well, I see your point about safety but do you mean footwear with socks or without?

BoldDiscovery
Jan. 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
Reading through the post that the USEF board has approved a new helmet rule, I have found a lot of people who really don't understand riding in the slightest.

First, people stated that this shows that the USEA (United States Eventing Association, for those of you who really have no idea), is the "pioneer in safety". In reality, Show jumping was the first to pass that rule over 10 years ago! Secondly, making helmets mandatory for all 3 phases, excluding the FEI divisions, really makes nothing safer.

Let me take a moment to give a quick lesson. Dressage, by definition, is the French word meaning training... I would expect any horse, and horse and rider combination that competes or even shows up to the grounds of an event to have some sort of training under their belt. Helmets do not protect from bad training! they protect the IDEA that by wearing something that aids in throwing a persons body off balance makes you safer. Yes!, it does help to protect against head injuries, but in no way, shape, or form, are you protected from neck injuries, that could possibly happen at the stem. We all need to be reminded that Christopher Reeves suffered from an injury to his spinal cord!

I am taken by surprise at the number of people who really do not know the facts when it comes to standing up and saying "I" with some of the safety regulations... Not only has some of them starting producing problems with horses during competitions, but it has also aided in making riders less aware of their actual safety while on a horse.

SevenDogs
Jan. 24, 2011, 03:50 PM
Well, I see your point about safety but do you mean footwear with socks or without?

Black knee high socks or none at all. It will give such good contrast!:lol:

tabula rashah
Jan. 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
Not an eventer at all but stepping over here to say way to go guys- a huge step in the right direction!! :)

bambam
Jan. 24, 2011, 03:55 PM
BoldDiscovery- I must say I disagree with pretty much everything in your post (at least the parts of I think I understand- I do not follow your "lesson" on the meaning of dressage and why it is relevant to the issue at hand)
If wearing helmets decreases the risk of brain injury then it does indeed increase safety. No one claims that it will prevent every injury- but that does not mean that it won't help prevent TBIs.
I do not know what the show jumping rule is but I do think it is pioneering to require helmets not just for the jumping phases (BTW- eventing has required helmets while jumping in a competition for years as well) but for non-jumping phases. As we already knew and Courtney King's accident reinforced, you can easily suffer a traumatic brain injury while riding on the flat.
I don't know what your basis is for assuming people that support this rule are ignorant.
I think you are making quite a leap (an unsupported one at that) with a theory that people will be more reckless and have poorer training just because they are wearing a helmet (which is what I understand you to be arguing- if I am wrong, please clarify). People with both poor and excellent training are at a higher risk of TBI if they fall without a helmet on and, as we have seen, excellence in training is no guarantee that you won't fall and hit your head.
I also do not put much credence in a theory that an extra pound on my head is going throw me off balance.

I think it is fabulous that USEF has passed this rule and hope that someday the FEI comes to its senses (mindboggling concept I know) and passes it as well.

SevenDogs
Jan. 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
Bambam -- couldn't agree more. Thanks for posting -- I thought about it, but decided it wasn't even worth the effort.

JER
Jan. 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
Reading through the post that the USEF board has approved a new helmet rule, I have found a lot of people who really don't understand riding in the slightest.

I'm having trouble understanding your post in the slightest.

I'm aware that you're a new poster and I sincerely believe you're making a well-meaning effort to add to this discussion but some of the things you say are a bit beyond the grasp of my brain. And I never sit on a horse without a helmet.

Secondly, making helmets mandatory for all 3 phases, excluding the FEI divisions, really makes nothing safer.

A helmet, when you wear one, protects your head. If you wear one in all phases, your head is protected (as much as possible with current technology) in all phases. Maybe that's 'nothing' to you but statistically, it means riders in the dressage phase are now at the base level of head protection as riders in the other two phases.

Let me take a moment to give a quick lesson. Dressage, by definition, is the French word meaning training... I would expect any horse, and horse and rider combination that competes or even shows up to the grounds of an event to have some sort of training under their belt.

'Training' is not legislated by USEF. You can train as much or as little as you like. The USEF does maintain qualifications for specified levels of competition and the USEF requires certified protective headgear in specified competition venues.

I think I missed the point of your lesson.

Helmets do not protect from bad training! they protect the IDEA that by wearing something that aids in throwing a persons body off balance makes you safer. Yes!, it does help to protect against head injuries, but in no way, shape, or form, are you protected from neck injuries, that could possibly happen at the stem. We all need to be reminded that Christopher Reeves suffered from an injury to his spinal cord!

Helmets only protect ideas in that ideas arise in the brain which is located in the head (usually), although as a philosophy major, I really do like the idea that the USEF is trying to protect philosophy because it gets very little protection these days.

But you seem to be saying (heck, you are saying) that helmets throw a rider off balance and make you more vulnerable to neck injuries. Do you have evidence to support this idea (which presumably has been protected by a helmet)?

I am taken by surprise at the number of people who really do not know the facts when it comes to standing up and saying "I" with some of the safety regulations... Not only has some of them starting producing problems with horses during competitions, but it has also aided in making riders less aware of their actual safety while on a horse.

Say what? Safety rules are 'producing problems with horses'? Maybe you can explain?

VicariousRider
Jan. 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
BamBam: Right on. Thanks for that post.

SomethingChronic
Jan. 24, 2011, 04:22 PM
Is this rule effective immediately?

riderboy
Jan. 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Bam Bam and JER.

Janet
Jan. 24, 2011, 05:03 PM
Is this rule effective immediately?
It will have an "effective date" when they post it on the USEF web site. So not "immediate", but pretty soon.

RAyers
Jan. 24, 2011, 06:30 PM
Reading through the post that the USEF board has approved a new helmet rule, I have found a lot of people who really don't understand riding in the slightest...

And you do not understand the idea of helmets in the slightest.

Your statements are reflective of a person who is mired in old tradition and misconception and not aware of the data measured and developed over the past 20 years as to how effective helmets are in any discipline.

Yes, they do not protect the neck/spine. But they in no way reduce the training or rider awareness of the need for training. If this were the case then the number of accidents in any over fences competition should have skyrocketed years ago when approved helmets became mandatory. However, the horses still jump big fences in all disciplines and do even more complex courses.

The only way a hemet would reduce training ability is if the rider was ignorant even before they got a helmet.

To everyone else, sure, I will get you pictures.

Reed

riderboy
Jan. 25, 2011, 06:47 AM
And you do not understand the idea of helmets in the slightest.

Your statements are reflective of a person who is mired in old tradition and misconception and not aware of the data measured and developed over the past 20 years as to how effective helmets are in any discipline.

Yes, they do not protect the neck/spine. But they in no way reduce the training or rider awareness of the need for training. If this were the case then the number of accidents in any over fences competition should have skyrocketed years ago when approved helmets became mandatory. However, the horses still jump big fences in all disciplines and do even more complex courses.

The only way a hemet would reduce training ability is if the rider was ignorant even before they got a helmet.

Reed

Great post, but...leave me of the picture list! :eek:

KateWooten
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:58 AM
standing up and saying "I"

Did he mean 'standing up and saying "aye" ? I'm not sure we can accuse him of being mired in tradition, as he seems to be as ignorant of tradition as he is of logic !

I am sure that when you introduce a new piece of equipment for the first time, your body needs to readjust. However, over time, your muscles should develop in such a way as to make this new piece of equipment almost imperceptible. In fact, if you were to use it every day, you might find that taking it off would throw you out of balance slightly ! It's the change in weight that throws you out of balance. Just show in the same helmet you ride in. It's not rocket science !

Gnep
Jan. 25, 2011, 07:12 PM

Reed

But only I you have your horse removed from the stall and put on one of those bubble wraps, Otherwise hard had with savety harness in bright green, a beeper if you move backwards and you have to be 18 and older to pilot a wheeled bucket device and you have to be certified by a level 3 shitforker,
Otherwise the barn TD will give you a redcard for dangerous shitshoveling and you will be called for counseling reason from a undesclosed person.
Walking X-C with a Tophat is absolutely prohibbeded, how do you speel this darn word, walking X-C with a tophat is only permited if you are a offical undertaker of the USEF for Eventing and have a level 4 cerificate for rule making.

Next rule proposal I have heard about, riding a large and dangerous animal like a horse can cause severe injuries and because of it Eventing will become virtuel, negotiating with Apple and Microsoft are in progress.
All Eventers will now be able to enjoy the thrill of Eventing from the savety of their living room, sitting on a rocking horse, dressed like gladiators.

Some times I wonder how I was able to get older than 25, 30, 35, 40 and so on.

saje
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:49 AM
The rule is effective immediately! :D

Briefly, the first rule change requires anyone on a horse to wear a ASTM/SEI-approved helmet at all times while mounted on competition grounds at U.S. nationally rated eventing competitions. The rule change is effective immediately.

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=rulebook&id=2649

Janet
Jan. 26, 2011, 12:04 PM
The rule is effective immediately! :D

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?section=rulebook&id=2649
First, I think someone needs to proofread that statement. It has some of the dressage stuff backwards.

Second, I don't think it can go into effect until they post it on the USEF web site, which they do not seem to have done yet.

BigRuss1996
Jan. 26, 2011, 12:04 PM
LMAO !!!

But only I you have your horse removed from the stall and put on one of those bubble wraps, Otherwise hard had with savety harness in bright green, a beeper if you move backwards and you have to be 18 and older to pilot a wheeled bucket device and you have to be certified by a level 3 shitforker,
Otherwise the barn TD will give you a redcard for dangerous shitshoveling and you will be called for counseling reason from a undesclosed person.
Walking X-C with a Tophat is absolutely prohibbeded, how do you speel this darn word, walking X-C with a tophat is only permited if you are a offical undertaker of the USEF for Eventing and have a level 4 cerificate for rule making.

Next rule proposal I have heard about, riding a large and dangerous animal like a horse can cause severe injuries and because of it Eventing will become virtuel, negotiating with Apple and Microsoft are in progress.
All Eventers will now be able to enjoy the thrill of Eventing from the savety of their living room, sitting on a rocking horse, dressed like gladiators.

mg
Jan. 26, 2011, 12:25 PM
First, I think someone needs to proofread that statement. It has some of the dressage stuff backwards.

Agreed. That bit about the dressage rule made no sense! The way it's worded now, only minors on horses only showing in FEI classes have to wear helmets...?? Who proof-read that release?

ETA: I don't know if they edited this release since I read it or if I'm even more dyslexic than I thought...but it looks okay now.

RAyers
Jan. 26, 2011, 02:39 PM
But only I you have your horse removed from the stall and put on...

Obviously, not from your sense of humor. ;)

Reed

Ishi
Jan. 26, 2011, 02:58 PM

Reed

Good God I miss eventing in Colorado!

Well my old Patey has seen it's share of days, I used to wear it way, way, way back when in the hunters and the A/O jumpers, then thought a good use for a way over priced helemt (that was lovely to look at) was dressage when I switched to eventing. Now it seems it goes the way there too. Ah well, I'd been wearing my CO the last year or two anyway, fit me better then the custom Patey. Or maybe I'll buy a black cover for my skull cap to mix things up if I feel like it. Now that we can not wear coats at one days, and see a lot of polo shirts, I don't even think of "old traditions" at events. I guess it will take some time to adjust to seeing Advanced go in tails and an approved helmet (if I'm understanding the rule change right, which I may not be), but over all, I don't expect to notice a huge change, it seems to me I see approved helmets as the norm around here (at the many 1 day HTs we go to), going into dressage.

I'm happy for the rule change, I think it's a good one.

BoldDiscovery
Jan. 26, 2011, 03:50 PM
I feel that the people who responded to my post did so because they have the knowledge to support a great rebuttal! Let me add that I feel helmets are a great thing! They keep people safe, especially the people who need them. The point I was trying to make, is that I feel the people who post anything on the forum should have a base of knowledge, or at the least, know why certain rules are being implemented. I am for the safety of all horses and riders, I just want people to be more aware of what it used to mean to be an equestrian, professional or not. Skill was something that always set this sport apart from others, and I feel that in the last decade the emasculation of the sport of eventing has lead to producing people who are not skilled enough to compete at the level they are currently competing.

We can all argue, until we are blue in the face, instead we should take a step back to consider what riding horses has developed into.

Courtney King is a great person, and What happened to her was certainly tragic. I am glad to report that her recovery has been a struggle, but she is a very positive person.

TotB
Jan. 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
Bold Discovery, you are confusing the snot out of me.

I feel that the people who responded to my post did so because they have the knowledge to support a great rebuttal!

As someone said earlier, most knowledge starts in the brain. Without a brain, no rebuttal. See how that works?

They keep people safe, especially the people who need them. The point I was trying to make, is that I feel the people who post anything on the forum should have a base of knowledge, or at the least, know why certain rules are being implemented.

Whether you "need" them or not, they offer everyone the same level of protection. And unless I'm very much mistaken, the rule change was implemented because 1)insurance/ liability 2)safety 3)why the heck not? But if you have the inside scoop, feel free to share.

I just want people to be more aware of what it used to mean to be an equestrian, professional or not. Skill was something that always set this sport apart from others, and I feel that in the last decade the emasculation of the sport of eventing has lead to producing people who are not skilled enough to compete at the level they are currently competing.

So much I could say here. But. Helmets are NOT "emasculating" the sport. Where the heck did you get that idea? If you have a beef with the current level of riding, I invite you to express this on the thirty other threads on this very toic. Right here on page one. Good luck.

We can all argue, until we are blue in the face

Who's arguing? Everyone else is just celebrating a rule change.

Courtney King is a great person, and What happened to her was certainly tragic. I am glad to report that her recovery has been a struggle, but she is a very positive person.

I am also glad that she is a positive person. Perhaps she could have "positively" ridden in this WEG if she'd been wearing a helmet. Good grief.

mjhco
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:46 PM
I feel that the people who responded to my post did so because they have the knowledge to support a great rebuttal! Let me add that I feel helmets are a great thing! They keep people safe, especially the people who need them. The point I was trying to make, is that I feel the people who post anything on the forum should have a base of knowledge, or at the least, know why certain rules are being implemented. I am for the safety of all horses and riders, I just want people to be more aware of what it used to mean to be an equestrian, professional or not. Skill was something that always set this sport apart from others, and I feel that in the last decade the emasculation of the sport of eventing has lead to producing people who are not skilled enough to compete at the level they are currently competing.

We can all argue, until we are blue in the face, instead we should take a step back to consider what riding horses has developed into.

Don't feed the troll

Gnep
Jan. 27, 2011, 09:38 AM
Obviously, not from your sense of humor. ;)

Reed

Humor ?

riderboy
Jan. 27, 2011, 10:18 AM
Personally, I love "shitforker". LMAO!

retreadeventer
Jan. 27, 2011, 10:43 AM
This thread has totally disintegrated! You know that when Gnep starts in on us...LMAO!!! :) But wait...snarky hasn't chimed in....but the trolls are being fed, nonetheless!

RAyers
Jan. 27, 2011, 10:49 AM
Humor ?

Well, I wonder if the rule will ever be passed banning riding a one eyed horse, while ponying another in one hand, a beer in the other, a cigarette in your mouth and no helmet.

It will be the Gnep rule.

Apparently helmets were the cause of the fall of all civilization. I bet if we banned helmets in the military there would be no fighting because helmets mean soldiers don't really need to learn to fight.

retreadeventer
Jan. 27, 2011, 11:01 AM
WWCD?

(What would Churchill do?)

Remember, that saying about dying on horseback being a good death, etc. Look at me, now I'm feeding the trolls!

Janet
Jan. 27, 2011, 07:08 PM
I just got official notification. The concussion rule, the approved helmet rule, and the "RF" scoring rule are now in effect.

AusEventer
Jan. 28, 2011, 06:43 AM
It is interesting that this rule has just come in. I think in Australia, approved helmets have been compulsory for all phases of eventing for at least 10 years. Only 2* and above can wear top hats in the actual dressage arena, still have to warm up in helmets.

If I remember rightly, for a while here, FEI dressage competitors had to wear helmets with their tailcoats (didn't that cause a stir?). Things were very shaky with public liability insurance in the early 2000s, so most venues had a solid 'must wear helmets' rule.