PDA

View Full Version : dressage naturally

tiny dancer
Jan. 22, 2011, 02:30 PM
has anyone used this method?

CatOnLap
Jan. 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
naturally, I use dressage. Why else would I be on this forum?

alibi_18
Jan. 22, 2011, 02:48 PM
naturally, I use dressage. Why else would I be on this forum?

:winkgrin: Like button here!

But what is natural to ride anyway?

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
Isn't that from Karen Rolph? If so, I can vouch for her. She was a wonderful rider who first learned under Ann Gribbons to 4th+ level way back in the 80's, and came away with her own softness in style. I really liked her as a judge. Broadened her methods from then on. I personally would trust her teaching now. Not sure if she still trains competetive dressage, I think now she's more of a teacher of creating a partnership thru healthy methods. She's one of the people who I have always admired since watching her ride and be judged at shows by her in the 80's, and seeing what she's done presently.

Bogey2
Jan. 22, 2011, 03:24 PM
thru healthy methods

:lol: everyone elses are unhealthy?

ThreeFigs
Jan. 22, 2011, 05:42 PM
Isn't Karin the one who came up with the pool noodle schoolmaster?

She's associated with the P's, which, while that is not in itself a disqualifier, raises a few red flags for me. I did watch one of her clinics here several years ago, and while I would not try some of the things she did with participants, it was interesting work to watch.

AZ Native
Jan. 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
Bea, what is a '' pool noodle '' ? Anyway, I know Karen and think she has a lot to offer for those that want to combine some of the best NH ideas with dressage. That being said, I don't know why she is still an associate Parelli instrutor. She doesn't need them.
I'm regularly around very good dressage riders and still I'm amazed at what so many lack as far as basic horsemanship skills. By that I mean horses walking all over them when on the ground and pulling back on the reins to stop a naughty or runaway horse. Too, pulling on the halters and resorting to chains over the horses noses to get them to lead up. Just a few examples.Karen does no have any of the above issues :) and she can teach others how not to either. I want a horse super light and not braced from the ground too. I demand respect in a fair way. Keeps me and the pony both outta trouble:cool: Karen offers this and much much more.
Before you flame me, the very good dressage riders I'm around are way better riders than i am admitedly. That being said, i would not trade my abilities to read a horse or work one from the ground for the chains and leather halters and dragging the horse around. Or trying to anyway :eek:
I do wish DQ's would take the time to check out folks like Karen or Buck Brannaman. They really do have a lot to offer :)
and have some great and useful info that will translate into better dressage. MHO, of course :)

ThreeFigs
Jan. 22, 2011, 08:53 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283191&highlight=pool+noodle

This is the reference to the pool noodle, AZ.

tiny dancer
Jan. 22, 2011, 10:36 PM
thanks so much,she sounds like the next step in natural horsemanship for the dressage person...and that would be me.

ThreeFigs
Jan. 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
Don't forget the pool noodle!

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 22, 2011, 10:43 PM
:lol: everyone elses are unhealthy?

Got me there!!! :lol:

betonbill
Jan. 22, 2011, 11:17 PM
Speaking of the Pool Noodle...

http://www.woodsdressage.com/uploads/34_Accept_Only_Substitutes.pdf

mickeydoodle
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:07 AM

laughing on the floor, rolling:yes::lol::D

Reiter
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:16 AM
I guess she learned her marketing skills from PP. Carrot sticks, pool noodles, what's next? :lol:

Equibrit
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
Gallop away from """""METHODS""""

tiny dancer
Jan. 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
do you mean from this method or all methods

Antaeus
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:24 PM

:lol::lol::lol: Made my day! Thanks.

ThreeFigs
Jan. 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
"Methods" need to be judged individually. Some methods are fine for teaching certain skills or dealing with bad habits, behavior issues, etc. Not every method is right for every horse and every rider in every situation.

I think the problem arises when someone begins to believe the hype that this or that "method" will cure all ills. Many people new to horse ownership look to marketeers like the Parellis to give them easy answers to their questions. They don't want to learn the hard way -- they want Step A, Step B, Step C and Voila! Instant success! These steps may work, but it helps to know WHY they worked, too. It helps to know what to do the next time you repeat those steps but obtain a different result. Horses are not automobiles. Some people forget that.

I'm especially wary when the method requires (or even suggests) that one must buy this special stick or halter or lead line. Then it becomes marketing, not training.

Good horsemen pick and choose from many schools of thought, many methodologies, are willing to experiment -- thinking outside the box when necessary. It takes practice, observation, and time. Lots of time.

Attend Karin's clinics. Learn from her, but don't close your mind to the opportunities to listen and learn from other trainers, too. The more you expose yourself to ideas, the more you have in your training toolbox.

CatOnLap
Jan. 23, 2011, 07:19 PM
oh dear. the pool noodle schoolmaster just made my brain explode.
That can't be natural.

ThreeFigs
Jan. 23, 2011, 07:38 PM
Yeppers, CatOnLap. It has to be a joke!

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 24, 2011, 02:00 PM
Seriously???

merrygoround
Jan. 25, 2011, 12:48 AM

I'm bettin on the bus "method".

Amazing how all methods, if they work have a common sense core, one that has been around for more years than me. :lol: :lol:

Kyzteke
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:22 AM
Gallop away from """""METHODS""""

Then that would be every trainer every born. They all have "methods," including Reiner Klimke, SRS, PP, and all the others.

Different roads to Rome -- we don't all aspire to be Anky VG -- some of us actually recoil at the thought:eek:

ThreeFigs
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:02 AM
Perhaps the difference is, good trainers have exercises and "methods" to suit individual needs/situations. "Formula" trainers use a "one-size-fits-all" approach.

What do you do when the "how-to" directions don't work?

Bronte
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:28 AM
Perhaps the difference is, good trainers have exercises and "methods" to suit individual needs/situations. "Formula" trainers use a "one-size-fits-all" approach.

Very well said!

naturalequus
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:33 AM
Isn't Karin the one who came up with the pool noodle schoolmaster?

She's associated with the P's, which, while that is not in itself a disqualifier, raises a few red flags for me.

Well aren't WE open-minded :cool:

OP, yes, I have started to - love what I see and know of her thus far! For me personally, the Parelli foundation I put on all my horses just naturally progressed in that direction anyways, so it was an easy natural step to progress to Karen's methods of dressage. I take the same type of approach (with that solid Parelli foundation) as I specialize into jumping (and whatever else I progress a certain horse into) with my up-and-comers as well.

naturalequus
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:37 AM

That is why you must understand the foundation of the method and/or exercises so that you can tailor it to that particular horse. Some of these "formula" trainers you speak of are not actually "one-size-fits-all", they DO adapt their individual "methods" to suit every horse. Ask me how I know. It's the individual PEOPLE that MIGHT assume it is "one-size-fits-all" because of their lack of understanding....but that happens anywhere and everywhere, no? I do not notice an outstanding prevalence in one "method" over another, honestly.

ThreeFigs
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
NE, I attended one of Karin's clinics as a groom for my own instructor who ride in the clinic. I believe I have an open mind, just not so open that my brains fall out.

The clinic was interesting and she had participants doing some intriguing exercises. I was not tempted to try them later or attend a clinic of hers as a rider myself.

It's a matter of spending one's money and time the way one sees most fit.

The fact that she came up with the pool noodle schoolmaster tells me she's jumped the shark.

JMHO. You are free to pursue her training philosophies and methods as you wish.