PDA

View Full Version : Dressage: 2010 BN Test A

Black Points
Jan. 22, 2011, 11:00 AM
Have any of you ridden this test in a show (recognzd or unrecognzd)?

Please tell me what show and how you like this test compared to the old 2006 BN Test A. Do you like the first movement (AXMC) in the new test? If so why, or if not, why.

I'm asking about this because my club did not use the 2010 BN test A last year. Instead they used the 2006 BNA test and the 2010 BNB test. We are trying to decide whether or not to use both the 2010 BN tests this year or to continue to use the 2006 BN Test A.

Your thoughts, comments, experiences are appreciated.

Thanks!

Mary in Western NY
http://www.BPEquine.com

Desert Topaz
Jan. 22, 2011, 11:08 AM
Personally, I love the 2010 BN A test. It just flows nicely and logically. The AXMC movement seems odd on paper but rides so nice. I get lost in the 2010 BN B test (so many diagonals.) I'm finding events are avoiding the A test, and I wish they wouldn't.

Aelfleah Farm
Jan. 22, 2011, 12:20 PM
My rider rode that test pretty much all of last year, I don't think way of the HT's we went to used the B test.

Seemed to flow fine to me.

Uno, The Great Escape
Jan. 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
I think it rode nicely enough, though I do find the opening movement pretty odd. Not that there's anything wrong with it, really, but I did have to conciously tell myself not to go straight down the middle.

I like test B; it was easy for me to remember. When in doubt, cut across the diagonal!

Ltc4h
Jan. 22, 2011, 01:54 PM
It really isn't anything other than the short diagonal ridden backwards.
It is/should be very easy to ride from the center line to the corner-going either left or right.
Yes, for the green horses and riders it does ride alot better since they don't think that the trailer/tent/gazebo/judge sitting directly in front of them is going to eat them.
Side note-As an organizer I hate when other venues aren't using current tests-it makes for confused riders and frustrated volunteers.
Just happened to Us last weekend, held a show advertising on both the prize list and entry form Practice your NEW USDF 2011 tests-typed in this bright red color- and had a poor kid start down the center line riding the old tests. Luckily the judge knew the old test and had the scribe write on the back.
Now try to explain to the kid and parent that their Trainer-who was also standing there was @ fault.

Second side- I would only half read the entry and assume they were all current-I would not think anyone would be using a 5 yr old test. Especially when all but 1 test is going to be current.

Black Points
Jan. 23, 2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your answers to my original question.

I have two other questions that are more specific:

How many of you in area 1 rode 2010 BN Test A last year?

How many of you organizers in Area 1 used 2010 BN Test A last year?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm told that organizers were asked to NOT USE 2010 BN Test A last year and I'm trying to find out whether it was used or not. Unfortunately I didn't attend many shows outside my very local area where the test was NOT used.

Also, if you had any shows that offered a level below BN, what test did you use for dressage?

Thanks much,

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

cranky
Jan. 23, 2011, 02:18 PM
I know that I rode this test in Area 1 at some point during the Summer. Can't remember if it was at Valinor or Coursebrook (or both), but I know that I did. I also rode it in Aiken in March.

pixietrix
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
Mary- the GVRDC used the 2006 BN test for the Intro division. Are you sure the same test was used for BN as well?

EventingJ
Jan. 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
I *hate* the 2006 BN A. Whoever thought it was a clever idea to do those god awful half diagonals should be kicked in the shins.

When I first read the 2010 BNA test I thought the AXMC sounded awkward, and had flash backs to that horrible 2006 test. **It actually rides quite nicely**. Overall I MUCH MUCH prefer 2010 BNA to the 2006. I hate the 2006 test - I rode both last year in competitions.

GVRDC Intro was 2006 BNA test and BN used the 2010.

If there was any more reason for me to show at least BN instead of the Intro divisions next year it is to never do that 2006 BNA test *ever* again haha!

Black Points
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Mary- the GVRDC used the 2006 BN test for the Intro division. Are you sure the same test was used for BN as well?

Hi Pixietrix,

You are correct. GVRDC used the 2006 BN Test A for their Intro Divisions and the 2010 BN Test B for the BN division. Their point was that the 2010 BN Test A was a "bad" test and they were told not to use it. So they didn't use it at all last year. Some other events in area 1 were told the same thing and didn't use it.

So far, I have not been able to figure out what is "bad" about 2010 BN Test A. All the riders I talk to that have green horses really like it (me included) and feel that the 2006 test was actually harder especially for green horses. I'm trying to convince GVRDC that 2010 BN Test A is perfectly fine to use. I think it's nice to have an "A" test to use for pre-BN and for early season BN and then use the "B" test for later in the season or whenever. I just don't like using a 5 yr old test when there is a new one out there and the new one rides just fine.

Again, thanks for input.

Mary in Western NY
http://www.bpequine.com

Noctis
Jan. 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
It seemed like here in Area 3 the beginning of the season everyone ran BN A and 2nd half was BN B. I HATE test A....it didn't ride very well for us, but B was wonderful :) So I liked the 2nd half of our season a lot better! I actually felt that B is a much better, flowing and actually easier test to ride.