PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a deep seated saddle with calf and thigh blocks

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 22, 2011, 11:19 AM
Preferably under $500. I have ridden in an all purpose courbette and loved it, but I have no idea which model it was. Oh, It's for jumping. Any ideas on good, used ones?

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 22, 2011, 11:34 AM
The trouble you are going to have is the saddles that will be ancient enough to fall into that price tag are from the era of pancake flat "ride with your guts and talent" decades.

If you can double your price range you can pick up a courbette vision used, or a collegiate nobility new.
both are very secure saddles that meet your specifications.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jan. 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
I've had really good luck on ebay finding saddles for myself and students. Also, you're pretty small... try and find someone in your area who's grown out of their saddle.

I found my barn owner a really nice courbette for $400, but it's an all purpose with no calf blocks. (but very deep, secure seat and good sized knee rolls)

Good luck. :)

purplnurpl
Jan. 22, 2011, 12:12 PM
Preferably under $500. I have ridden in an all purpose courbette and loved it, but I have no idea which model it was. Oh, It's for jumping. Any ideas on good, used ones?

actually my friend has one for sale.
It's the Courbette Cresta with jumping blocks. The blocks are really big and the saddle has that special lamenex (sp?) tree.

I'd pass you on to her (the price is *close to your needs) but I have someone who needs it.....
darn.

http://www.courbette.com/catalog/saddles/cresta.html

do a search. I bet you can find one used for less than 1K.

alto
Jan. 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
Courbette is having their annual saddle sale so be sure to look online - if their saddle fits you & your horse, they have nice saddles for excellent prices

http://www.courbette.com/sale/

Zippy
Jan. 23, 2011, 02:03 PM
I have a Collegiate Event Challenge (as opposed to their "Event" and "Senior Event" saddles). Collegiate doesn't make the saddle any more, but I bet you could pick one up for a reasonable price. Mine was about $750, and I'm very fond of it and have put a lot of miles on it. It is a very comfortable saddle with thigh blocks and a good knee roll. Took me through Training level no problem, and I do a lot of trail riding in it now and hunting too. I would look around and see if you can try one--Rick's Heritage is a good place to look.

Bogie
Jan. 24, 2011, 09:23 PM
I had a Stubben Scandica jumping saddle that would have fit the bill. I can't remember which model it was but it had a deep seat and blocks.

I sold it because it was too restrictive for my tastes but it was a nicely made saddle. You can find them used for about $700.

TBrescue
Jan. 25, 2011, 12:02 AM
I have a Stubben Scandica MF spezial that I bought on ebay for $500. it is very restrictive though, I only use it for jumping, cause I can't get my leg back far enough for dressage.

Bogie
Jan. 25, 2011, 08:21 AM
I have a Stubben Scandica MF spezial that I bought on ebay for $500. it is very restrictive though, I only use it for jumping, cause I can't get my leg back far enough for dressage.

That's the one I was talking about - deep seat, big blocks.

Rescue_Rider9
Jan. 25, 2011, 12:02 PM
I found a passier.. okay.. a friend found the passier, but it's exactly what i am looking for. It's on ebay and it looks narrow, but it measures the same as my Dressage saddle, so i went ahead and placed a bid! its well within what i was planning on spending so i am stoked. bidding ends today!! And it is black, which I love!

Fillabeana
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hope the Passier fits the bill...
Otherwise, I have an awesome and very secure Barney Brothers jumping saddle. These are built right, and aren't expensive to begin with, though they are high quality...they just aren't stylish for the show-ring hunter types, they're made for foxhunting in Ireland (hence the knee and thigh blocks). I'd think you could find one used, in good shape, for $500 or so.

Edited to add, my BB saddle fits a lot of different horses, much like the old Stubbens and Passiers do.

MeghanDACVA
Jan. 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
I have been looking for the same sort of saddle. Price range is bit more negotiable.

Then I discovered we had one in the tack room that fit the bill. Ugly has hell though. It was/is my husband's very first jumping saddle from the early 1990's It is a very old style Wintec model that they only made a limited number of. It is called a Blocker and has very pronounced blocks. Supposed it was deemed "too restrictive" though so I think that is why they didn't make many of them.

I have no idea where you could find one. I have searched, just for giggles, for them on line with no results.