PDA

View Full Version : Trainer suggestions/opinions in GA

Emmas Hot Brass
Jan. 21, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hey y'all..

Looking to hear some opinions (and suggestions) of good trainers in GA. preferably north GA. I'm looking to send my boy to bootcamp while the weather is awful and it's too dark/cold to ride after work for me. (can't wait for spring!)

Currently on my list:

Lauren Weil
Karen McGoldrick
Julie Richards
Julie Shannon
Allison Faso
Mary Bess Sigman

As you can tell, i'm looking at either event or dressage trainers. Other suggestions would be welcome, I've been thinking about Sally Buffington too.
I can only afford 1-2 months, but after that I'll be able to ride 5-6 days/week anyway, so I'm not too upset about that.

Let me know your thoughts, y'all!!

skip916
Jan. 21, 2011, 01:03 PM
depending on what your guy is going to boot camp for (give us some details), i would choose lauren, julie or mary bess from you initial list!

Emmas Hot Brass
Jan. 21, 2011, 01:15 PM
I need him to really work on dressage. He was trained mostly in draw reins with a very...clueless... rider before me, and so I've spent the past two months working on loose rein going FORWARD. asking him to stretch, troting/cantering over poles, spiraling in and out and then I collect him and ask him to move into the bit at the walk and do lateral work at the walk.
He was very "stuck" when i got him, it took 1" spurs and a whip before you could even THINK about cantering (bizzare on a TB, i know!), while now he gets both his leads as soon as I ask. I spent 6 months riding with Richard Lifton as his working student before I bought my horse, and I learned a lot about different horses, training, and problem solving.
I can work through a lot of issues by myself, I'm a very bold (but not harsh) rider. I train with Candee Niss at home, but she can't take him because she has the same weather issue/no covered arena issue as me. I want to send him to someone who I know will make a lot of progress while he's gone.

I do need him to progress in jumping as well, which is why I'm a little more reserved in going straight dressage, but I'm much better with jumping training at home, so it's not my top priority.

GiGi
Jan. 23, 2011, 02:31 PM
Chris Erbskorn would be who to go to for dressage; especially with the issues you mentioned. He used to event and can do jumping as well. If you like pm me and I'll send you back his phone number. My neurotic gelding absolutely loves him; Chris can even ride him with a dressage whip in his hand and my boy doesn't have a total melt down about it! And my mare is totally in love with him even if does have to have a discussion or two with her during a lesson. lol

GiGi
Jan. 23, 2011, 02:32 PM
Oh and we have a covered arena so every horse stays in regular work. Chris isn't shy about riding in the cold either. We are just a few minutes off I-75 at the Hwy 92 exit.

Dakotawyatt
Jan. 23, 2011, 08:56 PM
Just out of curiousity, where? I finally got a trailer, and am interested in trailering out to monthly lessons. He's not at Tyson is he?

fooler
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:42 PM
Leslie O'Neil Olsen
http://dressagesimplysouthern.com/

QHEventr
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:45 PM
Sally Buffington, in Madison, is wonderful!!! She is great with young horses, and I would highly recommend using her. Super nice person as well.

Johanna

GiGi
Jan. 24, 2011, 08:17 AM
Yes Chris is at Tyson's. But he'll also come to you. He came to my old barn but when I needed to move I checked out Tyson's. Its really nice.

Dakotawyatt
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:28 PM
Yes Chris is at Tyson's. But he'll also come to you. He came to my old barn but when I needed to move I checked out Tyson's. Its really nice.

Cool. Tyson is super convienient to me. It's a great farm if they've done some work on the footing in the outdoor rings.

Emmas Hot Brass
Jan. 25, 2011, 01:35 PM
does Chris Erbskorn and/or Tysons Equestrian Farm have a website?

scubed
Jan. 25, 2011, 04:56 PM
http://www.dressagehorseimports.com/

scubed
Jan. 25, 2011, 05:00 PM
North Alabama, not N. Georgia, but not that far. Good pricing, great training, indoor arena and Debi evented through Advanced before going on to focus more on dressage. She is great with the young horses (I have had 4 very different horses with her in training for 1-10 months over the years and all have done very well and made super progress). www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com