PDA

View Full Version : What do you read between the lines when you see this..

Cruiser12
Jan. 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
" small amount of debris in his R knee but has never had pain or problems"
I'm looking at a OTTB- who is said to be sound for any discipline, but all has some debris in his knee. I only want to do low level eventing with him- but I would like him to hold up for several years. He's 7 and ran 21 races. He's been off the track for 1 year.
Thoughts?

eventr4life
Jan. 20, 2011, 07:39 PM
Hate to be a debby downer but, I would say no...
The fact that he has raced that many times, and until he was 6 means he probably has more underlining issues then what is said. Unless they have proof, like x-rays.
Also - call a vet & get their advice.

vineyridge
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
Get xrays, get a vet's opinion, and find out what having the debris removed will cost. It's dangerous to work a horse with crap floating around in joint, because it can lodge places where it can do much more damage.

Beam Me Up
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
Hate to be a debby downer but, I would say no...
The fact that he has raced that many times, and until he was 6 means he probably has more underlining issues then what is said. Unless they have proof, like x-rays.
Also - call a vet & get their advice.

I don't necessarily agree with this--there are plenty of sound horses with 21 starts (or 50, or 100). Both of my event horses retired at 6, over 30 starts each, my soundest ever horse ever raced until 9 and had 70+.

That said, debris in the knee is not good, means multiple things to remove. As the previous poster said, you will need x-rays and vet opinion. If the horse is directly OTT, where there are many others to choose from, I would probably pass--there are plenty of sound ones.

Langfuhr
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:08 PM
It depends how much it bothers him, how much filling in the joint, etc. and if you can manage it w/IA injections or if its a surgical thing. If you really like the horse, have your vet snap carpal survey rads and see what he thinks.

Cruiser12
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:24 PM
The vet says, no swelling, no fluid, flexes fine and no pain...
ughhh:confused:

asterix
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:33 PM
Take pictures. Visual exam only tells you so much.

Langfuhr
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:39 PM
How does she jog sound, albeit a tad wide up front?

Honestly, take pics.

ThirdCharm
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
Actually, at six and with ONLY 21 races, take a look at his record and see if there were gaps possibly indicating periods of unsoundness. Although the average TB supposedly makes only 6.33 starts per year, that average is weighted to the lighter end by 2yos who may only make a couple of starts, and big names who are carefully handled and prepped for select engagements. Most rank-and-file-type horses run a LOT more. My old stallion had raced 44 times by the spring of his 5 year old year. I looked at one 7 year old who had over 100 races (and was completely clean-legged--alas my client didn't like the scar on his hip from a barn fire).

Lots of starts doesn't bother me.... I feel like if a horse has a lot of starts and is still sound, they're likely to stay sound. But lots of starts plus issues.... eh....

If he's been fine, I'd still want to get that joint cleaned out. Kaching kaching....

Jennifer

purplnurpl
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:07 AM
" small amount of debris in his R knee but has never had pain or problems"
I'm looking at a OTTB- who is said to be sound for any discipline, but all has some debris in his knee. I only want to do low level eventing with him- but I would like him to hold up for several years. He's 7 and ran 21 races. He's been off the track for 1 year.
Thoughts?

means:
bone chips that HAVE to be removed and then maybe will be sound long term.

pass.

jenarby
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
When you have "stuff" floating around in the joint it will only be a matter of time before that "stuff" wears away at the cartilage in the joint. Then you may end up with more bone degeneration...arthritis....all that fun stuff.
Take films and see how much damage the joint has suffered. If the joint is fairly clean, you can have the debris removed, do IRAP and end up with a perfectly sound horse. If not, it may be just a matter of time before he goes unsound and nothing will fix it.
I took home a horse who supposedly had "slight arthritis" but was sound, just a little stiff in the cold. I only wanted to hunter pace and do small jumps. Turned out he had a good sized chip that surgery would not fix. He was only slightly off at the time. Most people probably wouldn't even feel it. The vet had me blister him and give him two months turn out....no jumping ever in his future. He did go sound, made a lovely trail horse. I was heartbroken....but I learned my lesson. I spent 6 months and lots of $$ trying to make him sound enough to jump and eventually maybe to some LL events. When in reality I knew it wasn't going to happen. Just be smart and cover your bases. Don't fall in love with him before you know what you may potential have to deal with. Otherwise you are going to spend lots of money and may end up with an unsound horse.