PDA

View Full Version : The Good and Bad about Aiken

DLee
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:16 AM
I have never been there, haven't even been close. I've been here for four years, and while I really do love it here, wow the winters have not been so great!
I've done my share of cold and snowy chores (Idaho for 27 years) and I don't want to do it so much anymore!

So, looking around realtor sites etc, Aiken looks beautiful, but what is the reality of living there full time??

VicariousRider
Jan. 20, 2011, 01:20 PM
There is a lot to love about Aiken, especially from December to April. Aside from the obvious horseyness that we all know about, it has a great little town, nice golf courses and pretty architecture.

However keep the following in mind:
It is really humid in the summer and "everyone" leaves after the winter.
The cost of living is high compared to the average cost of living in SC (it is essentially a resort town).
It can be hard or expensive to get there and it is remote.

I've never lived there full time, but my boyfriend's brother and his wife (an equine vet) live down there and these are there qualms. No place is perfect, but there seems to be a high season that is pretty short. As a vet, she travels a lot to have enough clients in the off season.

Badger
Jan. 20, 2011, 02:32 PM
Go there several different times during the year and check it out. That is what we did and we ended up buying land and will be building and moving full time. We also considered Tryon and Southern Pines and other horsey places, but in the end, Aiken won out. I am SO DONE with the snow and ice and cold! I was in Aiken last week for the great blizzard (!) and what they consider bad weather is laughable considering what I've come from (and came home to). I'm told you usually only break ice on the morning water buckets a handful of days each year, and the story that hit last week was the worst weather they've seen in a many decades. So it dumped some snow on Monday and I was foxhunting again on Thursday on perfect sand footing in a lightweight coat. :D

The horse scene in Aiken used to be winter only. Now there are a lot of horsey people there year-round. This has changed dramatically over the last 5-10 years. I have met people from all over who have moved to Aiken and are very happy with the decision. About the only two downsides that I've heard are (1) the heat/humidity in the summer and (2) the traffic on Whiskey Road. Both are relative. I've spoken to a number of people who have moved from places like FL and Chicago that say the heat/humidity is not a big deal and not as bad as what they dealt with before. The Canadians and the Vermonters, however, are justifiably horrified by it. Coming from KS, I expect to have some miserably hot and humid days in Aiken, just like we get in KS, but that there will probably be more of them. However, the other 3/4 of the year will be way better weather and footing wise. I did visit Aiken last July and it was, frankly, lovely and comfortable. So there can be breaks in the heat/humidty there, just like anywhere, and miserable times as well. My Aiken friends ride in the mornings or late evenings in the summer. One conditioned and moved her horse up to Prelim in Aiken in August a couple years ago.

The traffic on Whiskey does get bad around rush hour. But compared the the traffic and commutes in much of the country, it is no biggy. People have to have something to complain about, and these two things are pretty much all Aikenites can come up with.

The footing really is phenomenal. There is good support for horse people with vets, farriers, feed stores, tack stores, fence builders, barn builders, etc. Coming from KY as you are, that may not be such a big deal, but for me it is.

There are not nearly the bugs in the summer as I've experienced in KS or Alabama (unless you are right on the water by a lake or creek). Lots of transplants from other areas make the town really friendly and inviting and easy to get to know people. There is always stuff to do, to the point that you have to pick and choose. And you don't spend your life in the car because it's all pretty conveniently located compared to what I'm used to. Good restaurants, plenty of chain stores for everyday shopping (yes, that IS a Talbot's right next to TSC—where else but Aiken?).

What I've really liked about Aiken is meeting people in every age decade, a wide variety of disciplines, and from rank beginners to top riders, and they all are getting along and enjoying the place together.

It is not a great place to find a job, though. People who want to live in Aiken often commute to August or Columbia or the SRS for work.

You will need to form your own impression by visiting several times throughout the year. I can put you in touch with the excellent realtors that showed me around and will take you hacking in Hitchcock Woods or foxhunting, etc.

A friend who heard me talk about Aiken last fall went down at the beginning of Jan and has decided to relocate there full time. The place sells itself if it's right for you.

Also, you should look through issues of The Aiken Horse and you can get a feel for what is going on in the area year round: http://www.theaikenhorse.com/

DLee
Jan. 20, 2011, 02:50 PM
Wow, wonderful information, thank you!! I will be picking the brain of someone I know who moved there as well.
Luckily both Mr.DL and can do what we do from wherever (as long as he can get online) so that is not a big deal.
Will definitely make plans to visit, thanks!

wildlifer
Jan. 20, 2011, 05:04 PM
Pros: Lovely farms. Lots going on.

Cons: Very expensive. Very very expensive. It's SC, for goodness sakes, it's supposed to be cheap!

elizabeth Callahan
Jan. 20, 2011, 07:07 PM
Might be $$ for SC, but is a hell of a lot cheaper than here in MD - for land and building ...

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2011, 08:40 PM
Dang, I've always wanted to live somewhere "horsey". :sigh:

With lots of transplants from other places, there is generally tolerance and broad-mindedness in terms of race, religion, politics, etc? Not that I live in such an area, (very constipated, right wing sort of bible-thumping town I live in) but if I moved, that would be a must.

Imagine, having your town with its OWN HORSE PUBLICATION. *swoon* Any big hospitals down there? ;)

eventgroupie2
Jan. 20, 2011, 08:41 PM
Couldn't agree with Badger more! Husband and I were also looking at Tryon and Southern Pines, but chose Aiken. We recently purchased 5.22 acres in Bridle Creek, and are hoping to build summer of 2013. Depends on the economy and what we can get for our farm here in Lexington, VA (which we love dearly but are getting older and won't be able to take care of it forever :no: - thus the move. Plus the cold/snow has really gotten to DH the past couple years. ) Price is all relative to what you are accustomed to spending. Taxes are about the same as our taxes here, land was cheaper. There are ways to avoid Whiskey Road during the busy times, and there is always A/C for the hottest days. We have visited in the summer and winter - last summer was about the same as our weather here - HOT!!!! :eek: Winter was much better than here.

We are planning a weekend trip in Feb or March - will probably volunteer at one of the horse trials. Hoping that the Olympic Gala was going to be held at Phillip Dutton's place in Bridle Creek again this spring and were hoping to come down to that, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I did see that a driving fund raiser is being held, and am thinking that might be in place of the one at Phillip's this year? (If anyone has any info on the Gala, please PM me. TIA )

Kachina
Jan. 20, 2011, 08:54 PM

With lots of transplants from other places, there is generally tolerance and broad-mindedness in terms of race, religion, politics, etc? Not that I live in such an area, (very constipated, right wing sort of bible-thumping town I live in) but if I moved, that would be a must.

Imagine, having your town with its OWN HORSE PUBLICATION. *swoon* Any big hospitals down there? ;)

MCG-world class academic medical center located just across the river in Augusta. Very prestigious medical community in Augusta. Pam Gleason does a great job with The Aiken Horse publication. You run into everything here because there are people from all over the country-conservative, liberal, religious, not. A very diverse group.

Kachina
Jan. 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
I have never been there, haven't even been close. I've been here for four years, and while I really do love it here, wow the winters have not been so great!
I've done my share of cold and snowy chores (Idaho for 27 years) and I don't want to do it so much anymore!

So, looking around realtor sites etc, Aiken looks beautiful, but what is the reality of living there full time??

Additional Aiken info in the curent Moving to the Carolina's thread in the Off Course forum.

Badger
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
DW, as Kachina said, it's a very diverse group and you'll run into all sorts of people. Aiken isn't the sterotypical small southern town that "everybody" warns you about when they hear you are moving to SC.

Check out the Augusta medical scene, I met several people who live in Aiken for the horsey stuff and they (or their spouse) commutes to Augusta for the medical jobs.

Badger
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
One of the few things on our relocation list that Aiken DOESN'T have is a nearby Costco...but one is being built in North August and will be open this fall.

Our lot is 30 miles from the Augusta airport. When I flew out of there on Sunday there was NO line whatesoever for check-in or security. None. The airport is like a country club, very comfortable and civilized and easy access to Aiken. For some weird reason, I can fly into Augusta on Delta cheaper than I can fly to Atlanta, Columbia, or Greenville.

Altitude Rider
Jan. 21, 2011, 12:56 AM
I lived there full time for 3 years (minus my first summer when I came back to CO). I moved back to CO just before Halloween. Aiken has an awesome horse community, tons of horsey activities but that was it for me.

Pros:
everything horses, all disciplines
cheaper than Colorado!
winters are easy (though this year everyone is whining)
great vets, access to tack & feed
close to beaches, Atlanta, other regional opps
The Hitchcock Woods!!
excellent training facilities, especially for eventing

Cons:
Summer was hell, I have never lived through anything like that. My horse was miserable from skin problems from the heat and bugs and I was miserable too.
Gnats - suck!
Very hard to make a living, so go with a lot of $$
Gossipy town, big time!
It's S.C., flat and not much else to do except horses (but I personally love big mountains, skiing, running, etc)

My farm is for sale and being rented for the winter. I truly miss my barn, my land, the location I lived in & my girlfriends but I can't stand the backwards way of living that I witnessed...obesity, smoking, lack of education, pollution (like throwing trash on the ground, not the air quality which is good) and the horrible attitude towards cats and dogs (lack of neuter/spay=huge unwanted pet population). Most people are better at overlooking these things but I came from a very active, educated and outdoorsy community.

I gave it a go but it wasn't for me in spite of all the wonderful horse opportunities.

I have tons of friends that love it...I think if you are from the east coast it's easier but I am a western girl and am content with less horse opportunities and being in the rocky mountains (at 8,750').

good luck!

scubed
Jan. 21, 2011, 08:14 AM
DW, less than 30 minutes from uga medical school

pegasusmom
Jan. 21, 2011, 08:17 AM
here.

I did see that a driving fund raiser is being held, and am thinking that might be in place of the one at Phillip's this year? (If anyone has any info on the Gala, please PM me. TIA )

Don't know about the Gala but the USET Foundation is hosting a Salute to Driving Dinner and Live Auction at Trout Walk Farm to benefit high performance combined driving. I do know Phillip is scheduled to perform a pas de duex with Shelly Temple on Monday February 21 during the lunch break of the combined test (this is all part of a three day driving clinic).

Badger we will be glad to see you all somewhat closer to us! :D

(and now back to our regularly scheduled programming)

Bensmom
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:08 AM
I like this idea, because while I love having someone in Lex to visit, in Aiken, you will be about 6 hours closer to meeeeeeee!!!! :lol:

I have driven up to do Paradise once, and just loved the area. I vote that you go check it out and then let us do virtual shopping with you!! :)

Libby

Mollie Zobel
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:38 AM
I grew up in Irmo, SC (near Columbia) moved away and have lived in VA, IL, PA and FL, then moved back to the outskirts of Aiken. GREAT place to live.

Yes, a major influx of equestrians is in the winter but we have more and more people staying all year round. Makes for a very close network of horse people.

Money wise, if you are willing to look a little further "out" of downtown Aiken, the land prices drop considerably. I'm 35min from Whiskey road but instead of 5-10acres, I have 400..I can live with that! :-)

Financially, you will save more on equine related products and services since it is all centrally located. At least I did! Many places I have lived, even the more horsey areas, had feed, hay, tack, vet, farrier all spread out so prices and gas money cost more. In Aiken, most everything you need can be found within 30min drive of one another.

Honestly, the people in Aiken are so diverse that it doesn't really feel truly southern, at least to me ;-). So, I think it is easier for out of towners to adapt than if they were thrown into some other towns (come to my little town and you will see a whole other lifestyle, LOL!).

Footing is perfect! It is amazing that if you go only an hour north it transforms to rock and red clay. Weather is hot/humid in the summer but people and animals adapt.Seriously, its not that bad unless you insiste at doing your gallop work at noon during the middle of summer! You learn to ride early and late as well as how to handle the bugs with lots of fans (I have 3 in each stall) and shaded run in sheds/barns. Really, all of the other places I have lived had comparable hot summers but more negatives than SC.

Don't forget that if you tire of the Aiken scene you are very close to Columbia which is a very neat city with a lot to do. Plus, you are only about 2-2 1/2 hours from Charleston (amazing place to go),Edisto beach and within driving distance to Hilton Head, Isle of Palms, etc. For mainstream clothes shopping and more stores,hop on the interstate and go to Columbia. Harbsion Blvd has everything!

Best of luck with your decision!

PineTreeFarm
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:26 AM
I can't help but laugh at those who complain Aiken is expensive. Compared to what?

Depends on your point of view. Compared to NY I can not believe how cheap everything is. A house comparable to my NY house but with a lot more land is about 25% of the NY house price.

Property taxes in NY are $15,000 for 1/3 acre. aiken less than 10% of that.
Insurance is also about 10% of NY prices.

Horse board in NY can be $3000 a month.

Trafiic? Compared to Metro NY there isn't any.

Motel prices are around 50% of NY prices per night.

Gas is cheaper, the supermarket is cheaper etc etc.

Easy to get to. Right off a major highway. Amtrak goes to Columbia. Less than an hour from there by car.

Compared to NY winters anything is better.

Augusta and Airport close by.

Great Regional hospital.

etc etc

DLee
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
I like this idea, because while I love having someone in Lex to visit, in Aiken, you will be about 6 hours closer to meeeeeeee!!!! :lol:

I have driven up to do Paradise once, and just loved the area. I vote that you go check it out and then let us do virtual shopping with you!! :)

Libby

LOL, seems like we JUST did that moving here!
Thanks so much for all the information, you guys are awesome! We really do love it here, everybody says the last four winters have been extra hard (exactly how many we've been here!), and certainly now is no time to really sell our little farm we have worked so hard on.
But 5" more last night and it's 8 degrees this morning. Sigh. I hate hot summers too so I guess I'll just have to head to Jackson Hole to paint then!
For sure we need to visit Aiken. :yes:
How bad is the lightning? Is it as bad as Florida?

Altitude Rider
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:45 AM
Someone mentioned UGA medical school is 30 minutes, maybe they meant Augusta? University of GA, Athens (UGA) is 2 hours away but has an incredible vet school. Unfortunately I had to take horses up there twice but it is a good place. MCG (med college of GA) is in Augusta and it is a leading med facility, however I was shocked to see a McDonalds in the basement of the place. McD's being eaten in the nurses stations seems just wrong!

My first winter (07-08) was really mild, next winter was colder and this year does seem to be cold from what I hear but still mild compared to KY.

When I went up for Rolex, I thought KY looked amazing!

Yes, summers are horrible, the lightening is REALLY bad. I know horses that were struck and killed, my house was, business' were, fences, trees, etc. Gnarly storms. I would stand in the middle of my house and watch the barn and pray many times.

Aiken in the winter and Jackson in the summer sounds IDEAL!!! :)

VicariousRider
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:01 PM
I can't help but laugh at those who complain Aiken is expensive. Compared to what?

It is expensive in relation to the cost of living in other parts of the state and the fact that the median income in SC is 39th in the nation. Manhattan is exponentially more expensive, but you also make more given the increased cost of living. It all depends on what your income will be and, as the OP indicated in a subsequent post, that is not an issue for her or her husband. As Mollie Zobel said above, there are cheaper places to live in SC than Aiken so if you are going to take a huge pay cut to live down there then you might want to consider living a bit outside of the Aiken area.

nextyear
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:51 PM
When considering a move South for our farm we looked at Southern Pines and Aiken but my Husband said he did not want to live anywhere the signs still said "Bridge freezes before roadway". That's why we live in Ocala!

glfprncs
Jan. 22, 2011, 10:01 AM

Medical College of Georgia, University Hospital (just opened a new heart and vascular wing), Trinity Hospital, Doctor's Hospital are all in Augusta, a mere 15 miles from Aiken.

Columbia, SC is a mere 40 miles to the east. Lots of options for in the medical industry.

Running Fox Farm
Jan. 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
Besides MCG, there is Universty Hospital in Augusta too - walking distance from MCG. I always assumed it was part of U GA. Been here 3 years ( almost) . Expensive? Not so much compared to MD. Weather? Beats MD to death, even with our 2 recent " cold" winters. I've been told by locals these past 2 years aren't the norm. I'm waiting for whatever the norm is - I hope it comes back. Land prices? Traded up from a 5 acre farmette in MD for 50 acres only 2 mi off Whiskey . Amazing! The footing is to die for. My biggest downer is, this is the place to be if you're a fox hunter, polo player or eventer. Showing not so much, at least not to me. My husb. says I'm spoiled because in MD we had multiple rated shows on pretty much any weekend wthin 1 hours drive,Leesburg vet was exactly 1 hour away, and Upperville, Warrenton,DC and Harrisburg 2, 2 1/2 hours max. Here, if you don't show at Highfields, you pretty much don't show unless you want to do a 2 hr drive and spend the night. Runs into bigger expenses. I actually like The Equiery in MD better than the format of The Aiken Horse tho.

3dazey
Jan. 22, 2011, 12:12 PM
To be completely concise, Augusta also has a regional VA hospital and Fort Gordon has Eisenhower Medical Center. There is a good bit of patient and doctor "sharing" among those two and MCG. :cool:

RiverBendPol
Jan. 22, 2011, 03:44 PM

DW, Imagine THIS. Aiken also has cross walks where the pedestrian cross buttons on the light poles are up at horse rider height! It is beyond cool. :lol:

wookie
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:06 AM
altitude rider...i am a rn specializing in er and trauma...until you have worked an all nighter...don't judge rn's eating mcdonalds...lol

i am a mere 95lbs but at 4am when your head hits the computer screen...nothing beats a mc donalds coke and fries..unless starbucks is in the house.

deltawave....let's move. i am leaving for aiken this wk for 2 months. lots of work to be had there. and i was born in your neck of the woods. (grand rapids) my theory...visit snow...don't live where it falls regularly.

deltawave
Jan. 23, 2011, 01:11 AM
Most of the time if I pull an all-nighter it's because I have to bail out someone BECAUSE they eat at McDonald's. Gross, I agree it's appalling to have one in a hospital. :no:

As appealing as it sounds on a day like today (6" of new snow, high of 16 degrees and we got LUCKY), my husband and son would never go for it--they love their skiing and I have to admit that other than between Christmas and Valentine's day, the weather here is pretty darn good, on average. :)

Maybe someday. But not now. I'm a Yankee and although not a native Midwesterner, the area has grown on me. :)

equinedriver
Jan. 23, 2011, 04:59 PM
I moved to AIken 18 mos ago from the mid-west. We spent literally 2 years looking for a farm in KY but couldn't find something with enough land on which to condition horses in an area we wanted to live.

We just closed on our farm which was a fabulous buy, and not a foreclosure. We are 1/2 mile from town, literally a mile from the PSJ show grounds, at the end of a half mile drive, on the edge of 600 acres of wooded HILLY trails. 10 ac, 2600 sq ft house, 5 bed 3 bath, sep studio rental apartment, 8 stall barn, 9 no climb and wood double fenced paddocks, in ground pool, and we paid $193,000, so whoever was claiming Aiken is really expensive is drinking different water than we are LOL. As I said, this place was a steal, but you can buy a lovely horse farm easily for $300-350K. Our taxes (based on an assessment of $304K) are around $1500. Gas is cheaper than anywhere else in the country that I know of. The only thing that is more expensive here is electricity, and maybe meat in the grocery store.

I didn't find the summer really any worse than I had in the mid-west, but it would be considerably more humid than CO. If I worked horses in the morning, starting at 8:30 or 9, I was done by noon, and it wasn't that bad.

We are glad we didn't end up in KY, only because there is still to much winter there........

deltawave
Jan. 23, 2011, 05:08 PM
Wow, equinedriver. DROOOOL. Sounds like a great place. :)

gahawkeye
Jan. 26, 2011, 09:49 AM
Equinedriver - you have a PM.

FreshAir
Mar. 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
I am looking for property in Aiken and the "communities" seem appealing because they offer community rings and trails as well as some kind of social activities - helpful for transplants. Does anyone have any opinion on Bridle Creek vs. Three Runs? Location from stores and dining? Convenience?

Cheval Gris
Mar. 15, 2011, 10:42 PM
I have lived an hour and a half from aiken my whole life (a mere 27 years :) ). We travel to aiken for hitchcock woods and the events that run at Jumping Branch Farm, Full Gallop, Paradise and Sporting Days. I have never been past Kentucky so I cannot speak to comparison of these events to those up there, but they are decently run events that are all within 30 miiles of each other, all spring and fall.
-Humidity from May to September is retched. Usually 90% everyday with 100+ degree temps.
-Winters are generally mild (like 30's at night and 50's during the day, but we had a lot of uncharacteristic teens this winter)
-For SC there are some good hills, as this state is FLAT!
-Lightening is not nearly as bad as Fla, but we do have daily thunderstorms spring and summer, and some mild tornadoes in that part of the state every now and then
-The knats and mosquitoes from April to October are large enough to carry away a Jack Russell.
-You are still within a couple of hours from Tryon, Pinetop and Southern Pines if the aiken sporting scene gets old.
-Hay and Vet care costs are not bad b/c there are so many they compete with price.

That is pretty much the pros and cons in a nut shell.
The cost of living is relative; expensive for SC (discounting the coastal areas of course) but cheap for the northern parts of the country.

If you don't do bugs and heat, you may not be in heaven! We have much worse summers than winters. But, you get acclimated pretty quickly!
Good luck!!

Badger
Mar. 16, 2011, 01:02 AM
I am looking for property in Aiken and the "communities" seem appealing because they offer community rings and trails as well as some kind of social activities - helpful for transplants. Does anyone have any opinion on Bridle Creek vs. Three Runs? Location from stores and dining? Convenience?

Bridle Creek has Phillip Dutton's winter training farm, so it has both Phillip and Boyd there for the first part of the year. Someone I spoke to who has a seasonal place in BC said there are only two full-time residences, everyone else is seasonal. It also has 1-acre "estate homes" so you will have homeowners who don't keep horses that have the same HOA vote as those who do, which can be a recipe for disaster. BC has not been selling too well and prices have come down. Many of the lots still need substantial clearing by the buyer.

Three Runs has done almost all the clearing that will be needed on the lots, but has left some trees up to dot the pastures (not clear-cut them like Chime Bell Chase). There are a lot more community amenities in Three Runs than BC: currently there are three rings (jumping, dressage, and grass), a clubhouse, a pool, and 30 miles of trails (with weekly maintenance). Another pool, another ring, and a fitness center are planned. The developer is also considering adding some other amenities, but nothing announced/promised. (BC has a ring and a small derby field, and I've never actually seen anybody riding there...at Three Runs I do see people out riding on trails and using the rings periodically.) Residents there are mostly year-round. Three Runs is slightly closer to stores/dining than BC. Grocery/drugstore/BBQ in New Ellington is about 4 miles and the shopping on Whiskey about 8. Tack another mile or two onto those numbers for BC. Downtown and Hitchcock Woods are more like 10/12 from Three Runs.

You might also want to look at Hatchaway Bridge, Fox Hollow, and Chime Bell Chase. But I think 3Runs is doing the best job with the equestrian community concept.

eventgroupie2
Mar. 16, 2011, 09:29 AM
We recently bought 5.22 acres in Bridle Creek. We had looked at most of the other equestrian communities. We liked Bridle Creek because each of the lots has a wooded buffer, which affords privacy. We felt that Three Runs was very nice, but did not want to be able to see numerous houses from our property. Bridle Creek is also much smaller, which appealed to us. We were there this weekend (volunteering at Full Gallop) and saw several people riding. We are in the HOA and have not had any problems with the estate lots people so far. There are about 40 lots in phase I and only about 6 houses have been built. We ourselves are not planning on building until summer 2013. One thing for sure- no matter what you are looking for, there is an equestrian community in Aiken that should meet your needs! :yes:

FreshAir
Mar. 16, 2011, 02:21 PM
Thank you so much for posting your 411 on these two places. We are going down in April to check them out. I know BC is a bit cheaper per acre but I am sure both are negotiable!

Badger
Mar. 16, 2011, 02:43 PM
Don't be so sure about that, at least with 3RP.

And keep in mind what it will cost to bring a lot from what you buy to pasture, both in money and time. Enjoy your visit.

Eventgroupie is right about the nice wood buffers left in BC. Chime Bell Chase did this as well. Each of the communities has their individual appeal. You should also look at Hopeland Farms, a bit closer in.

equinedriver
Mar. 16, 2011, 03:19 PM
ANyone looking at Hopeland Farms should be aware although the trails etc are vast and wonderful, THEY ARE NOT DEEDED and could go away tomorrow. Not good.

Badger
Mar. 16, 2011, 03:40 PM
Seriously? That is very good to know. In my book, it is worth paying for deeded trails and existing aminities vs "promises" that may not be kept.

3phase
Mar. 16, 2011, 05:40 PM
It's been crazy weather everywhere this winter :(
I've lived in GA, FL and SC. Several years in GA, it was cool most winters and one winter snowed more than it does here in BC Canada sometimes lol. FL (Ocala) was super humid but tolerable-bit cool sometimes fall/winter and once and awhile pipes do freeze. SC I was there for springtime-it was quite nice. Beautiful too!! I think whereever you live there's always pros and cons-haven't found a perfect place, although CA is great!
I've noticed a trend though in the higher prices in the horse area markets. Wellington is off the charts for most places!! Places here are crazy expensive too-close to town $4.0-5.0 mil for working facility. Places definitely are more expensive when closer to town but that's general for most housing facilities.
Smaller towns, more cheaper than larger for general living material (groceries etc.)
The one big thing is dealing with hurricanes more so on the coast. I'd been through tornadoes in GA but never experienced anything so crazy as 3 hurricanes when in FL :(...but guess that's life of living in those areas.
I was 20 mins outside of SC and I really liked that area a lot. Was in Aiken for a week and really liked that area too. Loved the downtown area and the closeness of the Events (SC and GA.)
I agree with someone else's comment about spending a week or two in certain areas, go to the facilities, and see what place best suits you and your family.

Good luck!!

equinedriver
Mar. 16, 2011, 06:28 PM
Yes, we moved here 18 mos ago and finally closed on our place in Dec. I LOVED Hopeland Farms, but fortunately someone clued us in. Of course they say that nothing is in the works, and maybe it won't be for years, but if the trails ever go away, and certainly they will at some point be developed, then the value of your property drops at least in half as there will be NOWHERE to ride or train.

My choice really is 3 runs, but it was not in our budget, none of them were really, but we looked and after being here a year and really getting to know the people that live in the different developments, 3 Runs would be my first choice.

One I have not seen mentioned here is Cedar Meadows, located next to Black Forrest where Silva Boyd keeps the dressage horses. A mile or so before you get to 3 runs. No public "group" facilities, but beautiful trails, most of the properties have horses, and the price range is more reasonable although the houses are very nice.

avery
Mar. 27, 2013, 08:18 PM
Three Runs, Chime Bell, Bridle Creek, King's Ridge, etc etc. What I want to know is do any of these places offer a clubhouse hot tub?