PDA

View Full Version : Which high(er) end bridle do you love?

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:12 PM
My princess needs a new bridle.:yes: She's wearing the hand-me-down Dover Crown bridle from my TB. She's a 15.3 grey Holsteiner, so head more like a TB, beautiful and smart, but not so refined that she'd need dainty things. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs148.ash2/40760_1519162531328_1002474968_1178899_2020609_n.j pg Now, I don't necessarily want to spend $400 on a bridle, but I do want something that is high quality and will last.
The Passier Gemini has been on my list. A friend of mine just got the Passier Scorpio and I really liked it.

Anyway, that's sorta the style I like. I also looked at the Wellfleet from Smartpak, and the Pink Equine (although without the colored padding). I do want some bling on her browband, but if the bridle isn't outrageously expensive, would get a separate browband.

So, what other higher end bridles should I look into (or not)? TIA!

netg
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:36 PM
Honestly, high end or not, imported or domestic, whatever, the nicest leather I've felt on a bridle in the past couple of years is my mom's Nunn Finer for her trail horse.

It's just ridiculously nice feeling, but holding up to work and my mom's awkwardness/twisting it too much/doing odd things she has issues with as a result of her arthritis/trouble with her hands. This bridle came with the thick grippy rubber -covered reins, which is why she bought it - easier to hang onto the days her hands don't want to close all the way. They do have other reins, though.

sarah88
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:54 PM
I am in love with the bridles at Five Star Tack http://www.fivestartack.com/
some lovely bridles and they are currently having a sale! (plus a percentage of the profit goes to charity)

quietann
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:01 PM
Since no one has mentioned it yet, Jerry's Harness Shop (http://www.jerrysharnessshop.com/) makes a great bridle with yummy leather. It's a heavier bridle, though one version has a 7/8 inch noseband. Jerry will do custom work, too. The bridles run a bit large; I got a cob size for my mare, and ended up having him cut down the cheeks, cavesson, and throatlatch as they were all too long for her short head. (OTOH she has a WB size browband!)

Hampton Bay
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:19 PM
I LOVE my Barnsby bridles, and I found them both for under $150 on closeout.

Wasn't crazy about the Passier bridles I have seen. The Barnsby ones are MUCH nicer.

MelantheLLC
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:28 PM
I really like the Royal Oak raised snaffle bridle (http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=2062) . It's made in the US and excellent quality. Not cheap--just under $400 with a flash, but it will last. I got the solid cordoba brown with brass fittings and it's lovely on my chestnut. He has a nice head, refined but masculine. Looks very classy on him. (IMO, of course!)

SBF
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:39 PM
Ditto Jerry's. Love the All-In-One monocrown bridle.

buck22
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:42 PM
Albion KB, Jeffries Elevator, Lauriche are my nice bridles. My Morgan has a neat and tidy face and the Albion suits him nicely, followed by the Lauriche. The Jeffries is quite chunky, too much for him.

All have comfort crowns and are shaped around the ear, which I like.

3Hanns
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:00 PM
Yes- Albion KB Bridle! I also have a Passier , but the Albion KB is much better quality IMO....I love this bridle....

kip
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:44 PM
I love love love my kieffer bridle. In fact every horse in the barn has a Kieffer. The leather is fantastic and really holds up nicely.

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:47 PM
Best leather bridle I've ever had-Edgewood. Will never buy anything else

Carli
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
I love both my Edgewood and Otto Schumacher bridles!

cyndi
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:57 PM
I have the Passier Geminis for two of my horses. They've been wearing them day in and day out fo several years now. I really like them - esp the crank noseband, which is really misnamed - because the 'crank' part has lots of padding that makes it comfier. It's only a 'crank' if someone makes it so. ;)

I bought a few Stubbens - Dublin models?? a few years ago and was really pleased with the quality of the leather and really liked them as much as the Passiers and were about $100 cheaper - so about a year later I bought another one and the quality of the leather just was not like the ones I'd bought previously.

atr
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:53 AM
I like the Vespucci for it's design (the single crownpiece), but I'm not overly thrilled with the leather quality. But then again I've had mine for 5 years and it's held up pretty well. Just isn't the leather of my youth.

Now, my elderly Dobert, custom made, raised and padded throughout, even the cheekpieces and throat latch, is a really, really lovely bridle, but it was made for a horse with an enormous head, so it's on the last hole on everything, even on my current big horses, and that doesn't look so special.

I also have a very nice Edgewood bridle, but it is a brown, raised, fancy stitched hunter bridle. I always use it when I am trail riding in my brown saddle (matchy matchy is important, you know...) and feel a bit guilty that I am using such an expensive piece of tack for bushwhacking through the undergrowth, but what the heck, I own it, I may as well use it!

Po-Po
Jan. 20, 2011, 08:01 AM
I have 2 dressage bridles that I like....an Arc De Triomphe Napoleon and a Red Barn Salute. Both are very nice, with the Arc De Triomphe having a bit better leather quality.

cleozowner
Jan. 20, 2011, 08:39 AM
Another vote for Five Star. They are unique without being gaudy.

SillyHorse
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:41 AM
I LOVE my Barnsby bridles, and I found them both for under $150 on closeout.
Hey, are you me? I have two Barnsby bridles (one dressage, one hunter), adore them both, and got each on closeout for under $150. Spooky!

Now if you got BOTH of yours for under $150, I want to be you. :lol:

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
I have the Passier Geminis for two of my horses. They've been wearing them day in and day out fo several years now. I really like them - esp the crank noseband, which is really misnamed - because the 'crank' part has lots of padding that makes it comfier. It's only a 'crank' if someone makes it so. ;)

Love my Passier Gemini. I've had it about 2 years now, use it 5 days a week without fail and it is holding up nicely. My horse has a dainty cob head and it's not overbearing. There's a picture of him on my website wearing it.

Zimpatico's Mom
Jan. 20, 2011, 11:53 AM
I love my Schumacher Vendig monocrown bridle with crank & flash. Skylands Saddlery in NJ is the only place that I know of in the US that has them. BEAUTIFUL bridle! I just sold mine when I went back to hunters.

Sonoma City
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
I have a Jeffries Elevator and a Passier (forget which model) which are both lovely. But I also have a Rhinegold bridle that I got on ebay for about $100 which is equally as nice! I'm a total leather snob (Crown bridles make me cringe!), and I don't have a single complaint about it!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rhinegold-Leather-Comfort-Bridle-Padded-All-Sizes-/370383009380?pt=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item95033453dd

MysticOakRanch
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:02 PM
I've been disappointed with my Passier double bridle - the leather has cracked at a few spots (in spite of meticulous care), and the metal Passier tag fell off pretty quickly. For $400, I don't think it meets the quality standard. It is only 3 years old!

I have a Kieffer that has lasted years and years and years - one of the split crown Gold line models, and it is just starting to have a bit of unraveling in the threads in a few places - need to have that fixed, but otherwise, the bridle is 6 or 7 years old now and still looks great. I had it shipped from Germany, so it only cost me about $125!

I have a Dobert that is really old - starting to show its age, and too small (cob) for most of the horses - but it is really a lovely, quality bridle.

My trainer just won a Schleese double bridle, so the Passier is going to retirement - looking forward to seeing how nice that new bridle is! The retail price tag is :eek::eek::eek:

DownYonder
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:10 PM
Has anyone bought from JustBridles.com? How is the quality?

jodyb
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:12 PM
My fav is the Albion KB. I've got two of them, one the basic black/black and then a custom ordered black/white padding (a friend ordered it, her mare outgrew it, I purchased it from her). I also have a Vespucci monocrown bridle and while the design is nice, the leather is just not the quality of the Albions.

Vesper Sparrow
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:17 PM
My Passier has held up well--four years now and counting with near daily use and it still looks good. Can't remember the name (one of the signs of the zodiac) but it's the model with the removable flash and flash attachment. I wanted a bridle with a padded crown so I recently bought a Jeffries Premier for my show bridle and eventual replacement for the Passier. We'll see how it holds up.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hey, are you me? I have two Barnsby bridles (one dressage, one hunter), adore them both, and got each on closeout for under $150. Spooky!

Now if you got BOTH of yours for under $150, I want to be you. :lol:

Not that lucky! One was $150, one was $100. Both are the eventing style, and one had nice leather reins with stoppers instead of the web reins. That one is a lovely tobacco color with black padding, just gorgeous.

I also had a Kieffer Goldline with split crown, raised all over, that was gorgeous. I sold it used for more than I paid for it new on Ebay.

Megsabelle
Jan. 20, 2011, 02:33 PM
I have a Pink Equine Bridle and really like it. I got a good deal on it, and got both colored/blinged and plain to suit my moods. :)

Nice leather and is a lovely warm brown (yes, I have brown tack)!

http://i56.tinypic.com/33djqkm.jpg

(note: noseband and flash were loosened as we were done for the day)

swgarasu
Jan. 20, 2011, 03:26 PM
I have the Albion KB and I don't like it that well. It was a good idea (not having the narrow noseband strap pressing on the poll) but the padding on the crown on mine cracked in a couple of places the first year I had it. I will say the rest of the straps are in good shape. Also the browband seems small.

I think the Schumacher bridles are nice but very pricey.

FEI1Day
Jan. 20, 2011, 06:16 PM
I own bridles by Albion, Dobert, Passier and Jerry's. Hands down - Jerry's kicks butt! BTW, I think that the Royal Oak bridles sold by Dressag Extensions are their private label made by Jerry's. I wish that I had gone with Jerry's for my newest bridle instead of the Albion I just bought. In fact, I might be returning the Albion I am so not impressed as compared to Jerry's.

Mary in Area 1
Jan. 21, 2011, 12:52 AM
I've had Schumacher, Dobert, Red Barn, Jeffries, Vespucci, and Dover private label and others over the years. I recently bought the Wellfleet bridle by Smartpak and I find it to be as nice or nicer than ANY of the aforementioned. The leather is nice quality, the padding is really soft and the design is very well thought out (I love the crownpiece--it's like a mono-crown but the noseband runs in a groove over it, so you can still adjust it and your noseband won't be crooked!)

Get the Wellfleet. It's the best bridle for the money by far.

bthatasitmay
Jan. 21, 2011, 01:28 AM
I bought this Lazer bridle, in brown, for my mare and have since converted it to a double bridle. Nice English leather. Still looks good after four years.
http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=20521

Cowgirl
Jan. 21, 2011, 05:37 AM
I have albions, schumachers, jerry's and passier. Definitely they are all excellent quality bridles, however I was suprised that my passier, which is the rolled model, was not dyed all the way through. I have the schumacher rolled and it was dyed all the way through. So I probably would not purchase passier again.

My horse finds the albions the most comfortable. I have the padded crown schumacher and the padded crown albion and the albion padding is definitely thicker and softer. I also had the Jerry's all in one, and the albion padding was softer. One of my albions is the earliest of the KBs (when they first started making them) and it looks new even still.

I adore the rolled schumacher with the crown pad! It's a beautiful bridle if your horse looks good in a rolled bridle, however I find their regular reins too short. I always order reins that go with the oversized bridles.

If you really want to go over the top luxe, get a hennig bridle. They are gorgeous.

Mayflower Farm
Jan. 21, 2011, 08:51 AM
I've been looking for a bridle with a padded crown, was poking around on eBay and found this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-FSS-Swarovski-Crystal-COMFORT-Poll-DRESSAGE-Bridle_W0QQitemZ290525352346QQcategoryZ72579QQcmdZ ViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLS L%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252B FICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D27068909 4935%252B270689094935%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D 6523976262032696455

Not sure if it counts as a higher end bridle or not since I haven't got it yet, but I'm hoping!

For beautiful leather that looks amazing for ever, I love Finchams http://www.finchamsharness.com/products.html#bridles I have a crank noseband for my double from them and it is still beautiful after 6 years. It's that kind of leather that just glows.

camohn
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
Of the 2 higher end ones I have had...I did not like the Pessoa. The leather was butter soft form the get go (nice) but stretched horribly and didn't wear well at all. The Stubben leather was stiff when new but the thing has worn like iron after 5 years of constant use.

camohn
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:14 AM
I've been looking for a bridle with a padded crown, was poking around on eBay and found this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-FSS-Swarovski-Crystal-COMFORT-Poll-DRESSAGE-Bridle_W0QQitemZ290525352346QQcategoryZ72579QQcmdZ ViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLS L%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252B FICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D27068909 4935%252B270689094935%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D 6523976262032696455

Not sure if it counts as a higher end bridle or not since I haven't got it yet, but I'm hoping!

For beautiful leather that looks amazing for ever, I love Finchams http://www.finchamsharness.com/products.html#bridles I have a crank noseband for my double from them and it is still beautiful after 6 years. It's that kind of leather that just glows.
I have that one from ebay. It is a mid quality bridle but the padding is nice and soft, I do like it. Just a warning that seller is sloooow shipper so you might be waiting a while!

CZF
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'm up in Canada, but I actually found the Schokemohle bridles that Equestrian Factory Outlet sells to be nice quality and they are really reasonable!

I have a tack addiction - I bought a snaffle (padded crown and noseband, web reins) for $159, and two doubles, one for $179 and the other (really well padded) for $249.

tabula rashah
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
I recently had a double bridle custom made by a local Amish tack store. It is amazing quality!!! And came with both sets of reins for under $200.

Ltc4h
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:06 AM
My two favorites are my Tony Slater & Dominus

caddym
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
I love the Hennigs