PDA

View Full Version : To Whoever found my camera!

AckNiceMon
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:32 PM
I was at Poplar's September Horse Trials grooming for a friend who was doing the 2* and left my very nice Nikon D40 camera somewhere on the grounds when we left. Someone SO kindly turned it in and I would really like to personally thank this person somehow because I now have the camera back in my possession thanks to them and the owner of Poplar. You will never know how much I appreciate what seems to be such a small deed. So if its you or you know who did this AMAZING thing please let me know so that I can personally thank them!

ake987
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:55 PM
I don't know who found your camera, but reading this still put a smile on my face. There is nothing like feeling that altruism may not be entirely dead..

And I'm glad you got your camera back. I bet you won't ever do that again ;)

ETA: Since you aren't sure who found it, I think it would be so cool if you were to "pay it forward" by doing something kind and unexpected for someone else, even a perfect stranger! I like to think of happiness as having a ripple effect..

bludejavu
Jan. 19, 2011, 04:04 PM
I did the same thing last fall - left my camera, loaded with pics I really wanted of course, at a horse show. A lady that was an exhibitor there found it, found the sales receipt in the camera bag with my phone number on it, called me about it after the show was over, and unbelievably and despite my protests, mailed it to me and paid the postage herself! I was truly bowled over by her kindness.

So yes ake987 - I believe the best thing we can do is pay it forward and I have been looking for little ways to do that ever since.

Gry2Yng
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:00 PM
I did the same thing last fall - left my camera, loaded with pics I really wanted of course, at a horse show. A lady that was an exhibitor there found it, found the sales receipt in the camera bag with my phone number on it, called me about it after the show was over, and unbelievably and despite my protests, mailed it to me and paid the postage herself! I was truly bowled over by her kindness.

So yes ake987 - I believe the best thing we can do is pay it forward and I have been looking for little ways to do that ever since.

Wow!

Creaghgal
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
Always so nice to hear about good deeds. Yea!

Poniesofmydreams
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:16 PM
This thread just made my day. So glad both of you had your cameras returned. And its great to know there are still awesome people in this world.

Bravestrom
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:26 PM
AckNiceMon -I know exactly how you feel - I lost my wallet at the Royal Winter Fair - someone turned it into the office - friend of mine works in the office and gave it to me - I was absolutely freaking and so glad to get it back.

Duckz
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
That's awesome!

I was at a XC schooling day at Rosaryville, had a check in my pocket for my instructor, and it must have fallen out somewhere on course. Two months later someone found it and mailed it back to me :)

I think a lot of people want to do the right thing.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:52 PM
My daughter and I were competing at Millbrook years ago. We were in the little barn where the retired horses lived...hey, I think that barn is gone now!... Anyhow, I left my binoculars on a ledge in the barn. They had my address on them. Quite soon after the event, I received a package from John Williams in VA. Could not imagine what he could be sending me. I opened it up to find my binocs with a nice note from him saying he had found them in our barn after I pulled out.

It is really so easy to be nice, it is a shame more people don't give it a try! :winkgrin:

jevousaime
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:59 PM
I was at Poplar's September Horse Trials grooming for a friend who was doing the 2* and left my very nice Nikon D40 camera somewhere on the grounds when we left. Someone SO kindly turned it in and I would really like to personally thank this person somehow because I now have the camera back in my possession thanks to them and the owner of Poplar. You will never know how much I appreciate what seems to be such a small deed. So if its you or you know who did this AMAZING thing please let me know so that I can personally thank them!

OH, how I so love it when things like this happen! It restores my hope in humanity! Reminds you that there are (thankfully) still nice people in the world.

Tamara in TN
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
You will never know how much I appreciate what seems to be such a small deed. So if its you or you know who did this AMAZING thing please let me know so that I can personally thank them!

ask the people on the grounds to put a sign up on the announcement board

"thank you for finding my camera ,you know who you are and you are just great!! "
and have a big smiley face stuck on it:)

Tamara in TN

BigRuss1996
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:05 PM
These things tend to happen in the horse world the most. Though I did lose my divers license on a ski trip in Colorado and had to fly home without it (ask me how fun that was) and about a week after I got home it was mailed back to me by a college kid from Va who was out there skiing shortly after us.... amazing.
People mentioned paying it forward...... Just an idea if you travel a lot of toll roads.... I sometimes pay for the car behind me. I don't travel toll roads too much but when I do it's a fun thing to do.

retreadeventer
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:54 PM
Do you really? I use the Ezpass so never had chance to do that...but I did find a set of keys on the ice outside a gas station door and walked back in to give them to the clerk at the register on Monday.
Oh and I was in a long line at the bank last week, and a guy in uniform came in, then stood behind me; and I let him go in front of me, and the person in front did the same, and after moment or two, the person all the way in the front of the line let him be next! That was cool. If I am ever in a line and a person in uniform is behind I always let them go in front of me when they'll do it, some won't. It's the very least I think I can do sometimes.

bludejavu
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:01 PM
Oh and I was in a long line at the bank last week, and a guy in uniform came in, then stood behind me; and I let him go in front of me, and the person in front did the same, and after moment or two, the person all the way in the front of the line let him be next! That was cool. If I am ever in a line and a person in uniform is behind I always let them go in front of me when they'll do it, some won't. It's the very least I think I can do sometimes.

Now THAT is cool!:cool:

Langfuhr
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:43 PM
Its so good to hear that there's still nice people left out there!:)

Kairoshorses
Jan. 20, 2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks for sharing! And let's ALL try to "pay it forward"!!

alg0181
Jan. 20, 2011, 11:25 PM
I like threads like this. I hate the b!tching and moaning about how people are so mean and selfish and dishonest these days, not like back in the good old days. :rolleyes: MOST people are decent, good people, still. Now and back then and in the future. It's just that we remember the crappy ones for longer.

I am glad you got your camera. I love my camera and if I ever lost it...

And I agree about paying it forward. Once I found a wallet in the parking lot, tracked the guy down on Myspace (back when Myspace was cool) and met him to return it to him. I just hope that someone does the same for me when I need it.

retreadeventer
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
I follow a policy now...not always...but because life is urgent and you only go around once....

I always stop and help. (Especially if I see a horse trailer and truck on the side of the road somewhere. I have even gone home and gotten my trailer to help, and put up horses overnight at my farm. Because I drive a truck with over 100+ miles on it! :))
I always pick up the lost item when I notice it and turn it in. (Because I constantly drop and lose things.)
I am on the lookout for people and animals who need help. (Because my animals can do it, too!)
I ask if I can help, especially old people who appear frail or confused. (Because I am always confused and not sure where I am!)

You read stories all the time about people found dead or injured -- if only someone had asked, stuck their neck out, helped, guided in some way. I have stopped when I saw a pony eating grass in the median of Rt. 13, with four lanes of heavy traffic zooming by, and helped to stop traffic, and catch the pony, and knocked on doors until I found the owner and then helped fix the fence he broke down. I saw a riderless horse galloping down a country road, no one around. I followed the horse until he turned up a driveway, caught him, called 9-1-1, found a place to stash the horse, then went out and looked for the rider (who was safe but almost a mile back on the road.) I have directed traffic around loose cattle, caught a loose mule running across the highway, helped the police catch a loose llama, picked up an Aussie dog scared to death trying to dodge traffic on I-95 near Elkton, Md. and got him safely to the SPCA. Just last week, a construction guy had some plastic pipes blow off his truck into the road (Pulaski Hwy.) stopping four lanes of traffic; and I jumped out and helped the poor guy pick it up (the first one) and as soon as other drivers saw a small woman helping, they stopped and got out too, and we all had the stuff picked up and set back in 30 seconds and were on our way, no cops, no big deal. If everyone just worked together we'd have a better world.

I am always reminded, that "there but for the grace of God, go I"...and because my job requires me to be on the road a lot, I know I will someday need the kindness of a stranger to help me someplace far from home. So I have incorporated a "pay-it-forward" philosophy into my daily life. Yes, it could lead to danger, and could come back to bite me. But I want to have my conscious clear. I have to skid into my grave sideways with the champagne and the strawberries knowing I did all I could and didn't miss a chance. (Besides, the next I guy I help could be like a millionaire who loves horses, you never know! :))

SmartAlex
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
(Besides, the next I guy I help could be like a millionaire who loves horses, you never know! :))

Enter Prince Charming? ;)

RacetrackReject
Jan. 21, 2011, 09:34 AM

One time my dad and I were out to lunch (we used to work together) and a large group of soldiers came in to eat. My father told the waitress that he wanted to pick up the tab for all of their lunches, but she said that someone else had already offered to do it. I thought it was pretty cool that people think to take care of our soldiers like that.

I will never forget the time my roommate and I saw a horse running down the middle of the highway. People just kept swerving around it and no one was trying to get it off of the road. Roommate and I jumped out and coralled the horse off the road, caught it, and managed to find out where it came from. The people who owned the horse were beyond unthankful when we returned it and treated us like we were trying to steal their horse.

alg0181
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:07 AM
Wow, RacetrackReject, that sucks. At least you know in your heart that you helped the horse, even if they don't get it.

clm08
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Sometimes it isn't even something of real value, but it sure speaks volumes of the person doing the good deed. A couple of years ago my DD went to Catalpa HT and left her crop by the jumping arena. A few weeks later, we received it in this long tube in the mail with a note from the organizer saying he'd found it on the ground and was returning it in case it was a favorite crop of hers. Coming to think of it, I don't even know how he found out it belonged to her, there was no name on the crop. But it was a distinct color (purple), so somehow he was able to identify the owner, looked up our address and mail it back.

DD sent a nice thank you note to him. Yes, there are still some wonderful people in the world! :)

Painted Wings
Jan. 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
With digital cameras these days and film being "free". I have found a few over the years. I usually take one or two silly photos with it before I turn it in. Always wonder what the person thinks when they see those photos.

One particularly memorable one was at the USEA convention in Colorado Springs a couple years back. We found the camera. Took some very silly photos with it, pointing it down the front of people's shirts, etc. The table was in stitches laughing. Always wonder what the person thought when they got their camera back.

bludejavu
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:22 AM
Painted Wings - that's hilarious. The lady who returned my camera to me cracked me up when she called me. I not only had pics of some of the exhibitors on the camera but I also had some pics of my obese cat. When she called me, she said her son looked at the pictures, he was only 3 years old and his words were "fat cat". :D

Emmas Hot Brass
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
Do you really? I use the I was in a long line at the bank last week, and a guy in uniform came in, then stood behind me; and I let him go in front of me, and the person in front did the same, and after moment or two, the person all the way in the front of the line let him be next! That was cool. If I am ever in a line and a person in uniform is behind I always let them go in front of me when they'll do it, some won't. It's the very least I think I can do sometimes.

Thank you for doing that! My boyfriend is an A1C in the Air Force, and my cousin (his best friend) is in the National Guard with the Army. I've been with both these boys out in public while they're in uniform, as they're both in active duty, and it touches me every time someone reaches out and thanks them- they really appreciate it too. Those men and women do a lot for us, and the least we can do is thank them for their service and show them respect (:

eponacowgirl
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:28 AM
Enter Prince Charming? ;)

YES!

ake987
Jan. 21, 2011, 01:07 PM
AH! Now I have to share my most recent story!

My boyfriend and I were driving to his parent's house on Xmas eve. One of the roads on the way to the house is very long and twisty and the speed limit is 55, so there are lots of accidents. Actually, my boyfriend's little brother crashed his car on Monday on that exact road.

Well, Xmas eve, and we're driving along, see two dogs running up a bend in the road, OMG! I yell, pull over, pull over! It took us twenty minutes to catch them and put them in the car in the freezing cold rain.. know how we ultimately got them? The only thing we had in the car.. beer! It worked!

I called animal control, but I absolutely refused to leave these dogs in a shelter on Xmas eve, no way. I ran around (in heels! hehe) while my boyfriend stayed with the dogs and rang doorbells until I found the owners, who were in complete shock. They invited us in, but obviously we went to be with our families and rejected any form of payment they tried offering. It was a wonderful feeling, made even better simply because it was a holiday, who wants to lose their pets ever, but on XMAS EVE?! That would be just awful..

SonnysMom
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:13 PM
A friend from work ran over to the local strip mall just before Christmas. An older woman with crutches had fallen on the sidewalk and people were just walking by her. Co-worker stopped to help her up. Co-worker was having trouble getting the woman up when a man finally came over to help.
She said by the time she got over to the woman about 8 people had walked by and didn't help. It was kinda obvious from the crutches that this woman had a health problem and likely was not the local wino. (Not that this particular area has winos around anyway)
Co-worker couldn't believe how rude people were to just leave the woman on the ground in the cold. So much for that good Christmas spirit.

Brandy76
Jan. 21, 2011, 04:37 PM
wouldn't it be neat to start our own "pay it forward" club?

you guys are amazing.

I dropped by a few home made cakes during the holidays at the local recruiting office - they were so happy!

it's nice to know that there are others out there on the side of the road in heels, in the rain, struggling to catch some frightened soul! (dog, cat, horse, calf, etc.)

I found a calf on the side of rt 30, and caught him with a lead rope(i've learned to keep in the car) - and stood there, deciding what to do when the frantic farmer pulled up!

I also keep in the car :

2 big towels
gloves ( to keep from getting bitten - ask me how I learned that one)
a carboard fold out pet crate
2 cans of "stinky" cat food/dog food
lead rope
old halter

WoofNWhinny*
Jan. 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
Bump!

This thread should be moved to the off-course board so we can all enjoy it. :cool: I would have missed it if it hadn't been at the top and shown up on the all discussion boards page.

Thanks to all of you who have gone above and beyond to help. :yes:

AliCat518
Jan. 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
This thread put a big smile on my face!

I found an old skinnnnny hound wandering around on my ex's farm, kept it for a few nights, took it to the vet and eventually had to give it to the SPCA. (Lived in a tiny apartment...this dog needed room to run!)

My favorite thing is whenever I go to a meal and anyone in the armed forces comes in, I anonymously pay for their meal. Learned that from my dad, who also does it when he sees them out. I figure it's the least we can do! :)

alg0181
Jan. 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
ake987, so glad your story ended well. Too many loose dogs don't have homes (or homes that want them back)...I would have had a heart attack if my dog/s went missing on any day, let alone Christmas Eve.

bosox
Jan. 22, 2011, 07:26 PM
this thread was so nice to read yesterday.

today-I used an atm that i was not familiar with. Normally-my bank spits out the card--and then you grab your receipt. I actually-took a phone call-grabbed my receipt and left my card in the ATM. Dumb-I know. The person behind me thought wow--200 dollars for free? I'll take it.

Really? You know I left the card...you were behind me the whole time I made my transaction.

Wish there were more good people. If they needed food or gas and had asked-I may have just bought it for them.

I'm glad someone did the right thing and got you back your camera.

bludejavu
Jan. 22, 2011, 10:04 PM
That's a real shame bosox! I think most bank ATM's are now giving the card back before you even get the cash. Sounds like you were at an outdated machine maybe?

SonnysMom
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:17 PM
I love the machines that never take your card, you just swipe it through. I almost always say no receipt so that the only thing that is coming out of the machine is cash.
I left my bank card in an ATM in Houston TX while on a business trip. I did not realize it until I landed in Philadelphia.

UKYeventer
Jan. 23, 2011, 08:35 PM
Someone SO kindly turned it in and I would really like to personally thank this person somehow because I now have the camera back in my possession thanks to them and the owner of Poplar. You will never know how much I appreciate what seems to be such a small deed. So if its you or you know who did this AMAZING thing please let me know so that I can personally thank them!

Fellow eventer Kelsey Hoiness is the person who turned your camera in. YAY Kelsey!!! PM me if you would like her contact info.

RunForIt
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:01 PM
I follow a policy now...not always...but because life is urgent and you only go around once....

I always stop and help. (Especially if I see a horse trailer and truck on the side of the road somewhere. I have even gone home and gotten my trailer to help, and put up horses overnight at my farm. Because I drive a truck with over 100+ miles on it! :))
I always pick up the lost item when I notice it and turn it in. (Because I constantly drop and lose things.)
I am on the lookout for people and animals who need help. (Because my animals can do it, too!)
I ask if I can help, especially old people who appear frail or confused. (Because I am always confused and not sure where I am!)

You read stories all the time about people found dead or injured -- if only someone had asked, stuck their neck out, helped, guided in some way. I have stopped when I saw a pony eating grass in the median of Rt. 13, with four lanes of heavy traffic zooming by, and helped to stop traffic, and catch the pony, and knocked on doors until I found the owner and then helped fix the fence he broke down. I saw a riderless horse galloping down a country road, no one around. I followed the horse until he turned up a driveway, caught him, called 9-1-1, found a place to stash the horse, then went out and looked for the rider (who was safe but almost a mile back on the road.) I have directed traffic around loose cattle, caught a loose mule running across the highway, helped the police catch a loose llama, picked up an Aussie dog scared to death trying to dodge traffic on I-95 near Elkton, Md. and got him safely to the SPCA. Just last week, a construction guy had some plastic pipes blow off his truck into the road (Pulaski Hwy.) stopping four lanes of traffic; and I jumped out and helped the poor guy pick it up (the first one) and as soon as other drivers saw a small woman helping, they stopped and got out too, and we all had the stuff picked up and set back in 30 seconds and were on our way, no cops, no big deal. If everyone just worked together we'd have a better world.

I am always reminded, that "there but for the grace of God, go I"...and because my job requires me to be on the road a lot, I know I will someday need the kindness of a stranger to help me someplace far from home. So I have incorporated a "pay-it-forward" philosophy into my daily life. Yes, it could lead to danger, and could come back to bite me. But I want to have my conscious clear. I have to skid into my grave sideways with the champagne and the strawberries knowing I did all I could and didn't miss a chance. (Besides, the next I guy I help could be like a millionaire who loves horses, you never know! :))

Yesterday, Rasta Mon untied his lead rope from the trailer at a clinic and escaped onto the highway. He ran through an intersection of another highway, before a smart person who saw him coming drove his truck across the road to stop traffic, headed Rasta into a field only to have horsie gather speed and turn onto yet another highway! :eek: Thanks to quick action by the local Sheriff's dept and an equine vet who saw him run onto the hwy, traffic was stopped again, and Rasta was herded into a church parking lot by the squad car. He then trotted up to the officer and did not snatch himself away when his halter was grabbed. Miracles happen when people respond ... :) :cool:. I rode my horse today because of people like you, Retread! xoxoxo