PDA

View Full Version : Off White Dress Boots--New Style?

Velvet
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:55 PM
So, I was just out on DressageDaily and saw off white dress boots that are actually made of softer leather (look at all the wrinkles) and have a bit of a field boot look to them. Interesting...

http://www.dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5789:dutch-trainer-seminar-knhs-shows-basic-skills-with-cornelissen-and-hamminga&catid=1:events&Itemid=58

sar2008
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:58 PM
I think they are hideous.

Oberon13
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:59 PM
I saw these, too...and they made me kind of throw up a little in the back of my mouth. :D They really are hideous.

nickers@dawn
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:01 PM
Don't care for them at all, but they sure get you noticed!! Maybe that is the point? ;)

atr
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:02 PM
you'd have to have teeny, tiny feet to not look like Donald Duck in these. And a very quiet leg!

(Reminds me of the white patent boots of my 60's childhood.)

Eclectic Horseman
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:04 PM
you'd have to have teeny, tiny feet to not look like Donald Duck in these. And a very quiet leg!

(Reminds me of the white patent boots of my 60's childhood.)

Ah yes. Go-go boots. :lol:

http://www.costumediscounters.com/accessories-makeup/boots/white-patent-gogo-boot-EGOGOW.html?code=CSEPricegrabber&cd=50free&mr:referralID=989b909c-2408-11e0-af68-001b2166becc

bird4416
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:05 PM
Those are Ugg Lee.

Velvet
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:11 PM
Maybe some bling would improve them? :eek:

Actually, I like that they are a softer leather. They look SO comfy. Not loving the color. I could see other colors. Maybe a nice brown?

horsesrule32
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:17 PM
I agree with brown. Wouldn't these get dirty?!

Trixie
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:18 PM
I'm all about softer boots - I like ones that feel like half chaps... but to that color... just no.

Velvet
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:28 PM
I agree with brown. Wouldn't these get dirty?!

At the very least I would think they would get scuffed pretty easily...like the old go-go boots used to do. :yes:

Still liking the leather and the custom look that makes me think of a glove for your leg. That part appeals to me.

Eclectic Horseman
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:31 PM
The Sergio Grasso Vicenza h/j style boot is a really soft calfskin like that. Those italians know how to make boots!

mzm farm
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
Ok, NOT a fan of white!

I am thinking something that matches sand color could work - easier to keep looking "clean":lol:

Then again, why not go the western route and REALLY get into colors. I am thinking fire engine red breeches are a must!:eek::lol:

Velvet
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:36 PM
The Sergio Grasso Vicenza h/j style boot is a really soft calfskin like that. Those italians know how to make boots!

The Sergio boots never look like they're made for someone with my legs. They're made for people with a calf that is much larger than mine! Aslo, I'm not thrilled with the stitching on them.

Can't tell what these are, but they don't look like they have extra funky stitching on them. Then again, it just might not show up in the photos.

Also, why the tall/spanish top on these things? Seems unnecessary to me. I don't particualrly like the really tall spanish top people are puttting on boots. Makes me think of the old Prussian army ones that covered the knee.

Eclectic Horseman
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:42 PM
Also, why the tall/spanish top on these things? Seems unnecessary to me. I don't particualrly like the really tall spanish top people are puttting on boots. Makes me think of the old Prussian army ones that covered the knee.

Tall spanish tops make your legs look longer. Optical illusion kind of thing. I need it at my height.

AnotherRound
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:44 PM
Doesn't appeal to me. I like the stiff look of professional-looking black dressage boots - these look casual and unconcerned. The black boots contribute to a sense of dress and formality which I think dressage or any turnout showing should project.

Very ugly, notwithstanding all that, even with my granny skirt I wouldn't be thrilled with them, altho - with a long prarie skirt I might like them if they had a bit of a high heel to them - a la getting handed down from the buckboard onto the red, dusty road in town to buy a cone of sugar and a length of eyelet for trim on my girls' dresses we're working on back at the homestead...actually...

Is this the first sighting of these boots? Please don't tell me people are wearing them...

And with thos black breeches - its like wearing off white heels with black tights and an off white dress. Not in the best taste, in my book, and I would have to say Aunt Esther's Purse would absolutely agree.

Sonoma City
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:48 PM
Ewwwwwwe, those are terrible! I would guess that they are custom made, and out of all the beautiful leather options out there, she picked THAT. Hopefully it is a trend that stays on her legs and her legs only!

Velvet
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:56 PM
Tall spanish tops make your legs look longer. Optical illusion kind of thing. I need it at my height.

Well, I don't need things to make my legs look longer. :lol: And, I don't really think that it does make them look that much longer. It only makes the lower leg an inch longer. What's that doing in the long run? And who's looking at your legs? I'm usually looking at the horse at shows. Well, unless the rider is either has an AMAZING seat, or is such a train wreck they should be hauled up on charges of horse abuse because of their bad seat and hands. Relinquish your horse!!! :lol:

(I'm never going to be able to forget the "relinquish your whip" line. It's from another thread on DQs out here, if you weren't aware of that.)

AnotherRound
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:57 PM
On this note, has anyone ever seen any other off color in Field boots? I mean, true, equestrian boots, not designer knock off things.

any true equestrian field boots (or dress boots) say in navy blue? Steel Gray? Of course, seen them in brown, but you have to figure if they make forest green saddles, someone's made some christmas green field boots.

If so, you gotta show pics!

Velvet
Jan. 19, 2011, 03:59 PM
On this note, has anyone ever seen any other off color in Field boots? I mean, true, equestrian boots, not designer knock off things.

any true equestrian field boots (or dress boots) say in navy blue? Steel Gray? Of course, seen them in brown, but you have to figure if they make forest green saddles, someone's made some christmas green field boots.

Yep. Divoza used to sell some navy blue and maroon colored dress boots. Actually, they looked pretty nice. (Not sure about field boots, just saw the dress boots.) I think they were Konigs? I can't find them anymore.

Vogel does offer burgundy in their custom dress boots: http://www.vogelboots.com/options.asp

magienoire
Jan. 19, 2011, 04:08 PM
sorry, but those are gross.

Twigster
Jan. 19, 2011, 04:16 PM
Those look SO wrong with her white saddle pad and white sleeves. *shudder*

Wellspotted
Jan. 19, 2011, 04:20 PM
So, I was just out on DressageDaily and saw off white dress boots that are actually made of softer leather (look at all the wrinkles) and have a bit of a field boot look to them. Interesting...

http://www.dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5789:dutch-trainer-seminar-knhs-shows-basic-skills-with-cornelissen-and-hamminga&catid=1:events&Itemid=58

Aren't they for competing on Friesians? So the judge can really see your leg? ;)

ginger708
Jan. 19, 2011, 04:37 PM
In homage to the Tacky dressage thread. The boots are tacky. But I do like softer boots myself. My Dehner boots are just doubled lined I did not go for the much stiffer dressage lining. I think it ok for dress boots to look like you ride in them.

netg
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:16 PM
Well, I don't need things to make my legs look longer. :lol: And, I don't really think that it does make them look that much longer. It only makes the lower leg an inch longer. What's that doing in the long run? And who's looking at your legs?

You'd be surprised. I just compared some pics of me in half chaps and dress boots w/ Spanish tops... My legs look like stumps which end just below the knee in half chaps, and like normal legs with Spanish top.

Signed,
5'1" who accidentally fell in love with 16.3hands

Velvet
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:29 PM
You'd be surprised. I just compared some pics of me in half chaps and dress boots w/ Spanish tops... My legs look like stumps which end just below the knee in half chaps, and like normal legs with Spanish top.

Signed,

Guess what? You're the only one who would probably notice that, and unless you're riding around obsessing over how long your legs look (or don't look) in the arena mirrors, you would do just fine in boots without the spanish tops. ;)

howardh
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:35 PM
Sergio has all kinds of colors available special order, but I am not sure white is available! :)

hundredacres
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:37 PM

Those are just as horrible as I imagined. It looks like an ebay purchase to me: "White Horse Riding Boots BNWOT"...must have not had any other bids and she couldn't resist.

dwblover
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:20 PM
Ewe, think of all the poop stains, LOL!!!

Megaladon
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:33 PM

Der Dau did a pink field boot. Of course they are known for doing custom (I had a salesman tell me they did some boots for Madonna), so they have different colors, grains, and skins (like gator, if I remember correctly).

netg
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:45 PM
Guess what? You're the only one who would probably notice that, and unless you're riding around obsessing over how long your legs look (or don't look) in the arena mirrors, you would do just fine in boots without the spanish tops. ;)

Nah-I compared photos from two different rides, one of which I was told my position had really improved. :) Same position, different boots - totally just gives an improved effect.

I only care as far as a general impression the judge has of my riding and how it affects my horse, but for the same price getting Spanish tops seems worth it. My boots are super comfy anyway!

What it does for me is fix the proportion between upper and lower leg - at this height, an inch or more is enough to change from the upper leg looking longer (which makes a chair seat appearance and stubby lower leg) to lower leg looking longer, which makes it look like you're really stretching down and long. I've seen it on other people, too, without realizing at first what the difference was - and it's definitely NOT major, and if I could find non-Spanish top boots which weren't custom and fit me, I would jump on them for the price savings!

It's not something I really worry about - I more worry about correcting the many lingering issues in my riding to try to be worthy of my horse who does everything HE can to get things right. :)

Tanyanoel
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:49 PM
Ok, I do have a Burgundy pair of Konigs which I adore! I take super care of my boots, I have a black pair I keep for showing that are about 7 years old now, resoled once and still going.

I really do enjoy these boots, they are just a little extra something that makes me smile. I have tossed around the idea of showing in them - maybe adding a touch of Burgundy to the collar of my show coat, but I am such a fan of the clean black boots at a show, very classy.

Here they are - I even got People On Horses to make me Burgundy spur straps, no extra charge :)

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr222/tanyanoel_bucket/BurgundyBootsFront.jpg

EasyStreet
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:02 PM
No thanks, I have enough trouble keeping my white breeches clean!!:no:

Sancudo
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:06 PM
Then again, why not go the western route and REALLY get into colors. I am thinking fire engine red breeches are a must!:eek::lol:

:D :D

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/DaylightComes/IMG_3068.jpg

I SWEAR I don't wear them with any chestnuts . . .

Pony Fixer
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:20 PM
I have cognac boots for schooling (like a light to medium brown) and I love them, even with black breeches.

This however, is a train wreck from head to toe. Off-white boots, black (or DARK brown) breeches, black spur straps, white long sleeve shirt with navy blue polo on top? WTFB? It's like she got dressed in a dark closet. For a symposium!

kookicat
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:30 PM
I really hope not... those things are scary.

questomatic
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:51 PM
Ok, I do have a Burgundy pair of Konigs which I adore! I take super care of my boots, I have a black pair I keep for showing that are about 7 years old now, resoled once and still going.

I really do enjoy these boots, they are just a little extra something that makes me smile. I have tossed around the idea of showing in them - maybe adding a touch of Burgundy to the collar of my show coat, but I am such a fan of the clean black boots at a show, very classy.

Here they are - I even got People On Horses to make me Burgundy spur straps, no extra charge :)

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr222/tanyanoel_bucket/BurgundyBootsFront.jpg

I think those are gorgeous! You should definitely show in them; I would!

JLR1
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:06 PM
Ick!!!! Ugliest boots ever!

hntrjmprpro45
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:07 PM
Casa de las botas has some pretty colorful boots:

http://www.casadelasbotas.com.ar/productos.php?idioma=2&dis=1

I do absolutely adore the Palermo style.
http://www.casadelasbotas.com.ar/productos.php?cp=2&dis=1

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:39 PM
the boding question is can you wear them past labor day :lol:
i'm praying these don't catch on

2tempe
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:40 PM
the boding question is can you wear them past labor day :lol:
i'm praying these don't catch on

Part of the answer is yes, in Fla. you can wear them after Labor Day. The question is: would you be seen in these in Wellington?

Hard to believe anyone walk out of a store w/ these - they make me feel a bit green - and that would not be green w/ envy. More like my dog looks when he's about to recycle the grass he just ate...

Dappled Grey
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:46 PM
Fun thread! I'd have to agree that I don't like the look of those boots. Certainly not practical and seems to have an unflattering effect with the black breeches. Maaaaybe they look better on a horse?

JRG
Jan. 20, 2011, 07:50 AM

Love that web site. Now, I can get behind some of those boots! That is bling for sure.

CZF
Jan. 20, 2011, 07:55 AM
I saw these, too...and they made me kind of throw up a little in the back of my mouth. :D They really are hideous.

Me three. They gave me that same feeling I get when you walk into someone's house that's plastered with ugly flower wallpaper everywhere.

SillyHorse
Jan. 20, 2011, 08:37 AM
I can't believe anyone would put those on and go out in public. Awful, just awful. :dead:

Velvet
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:15 AM

I actually think Modena could be a really cool boot to school in! :D

The Palermo looks pretty, but what's up with the Derby? Everyone who says they threw up a little in their mouth over the off white boots needs to take a look at those. :lol:

Why don't they show pricing on their page? (Kind of looks like the same designers doing their boots who did those really funky dressage saddles that looked like something made for Batman. :D )

Chaila
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:38 AM

The Palermo looks pretty, but what's up with the Derby? Everyone who says they threw up a little in their mouth over the off white boots needs to take a look at those. :lol:

Why don't they show pricing on their page? (Kind of looks like the same designers doing their boots who did those really funky dressage saddles that looked like something made for Batman. :D )

I LOVE these. Too bad I just bought a pair of Treadstones for schooling 'cause those black and gold or black and silver would make me feel like a 40 year old riding super hero!!! For just 100 x the price of my comfy new Treadstones, I could look like a super hero hacking around on my pony!:yes:

Venture22
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:41 AM
Would I be wrong if I suggested they might just be white for contrast to show the clinic audience how a leg is supposed to be positioned and used and the rider personally would never use them while showing?

Velvet
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:45 AM
I LOVE these. Too bad I just bought a pair of Treadstones for schooling 'cause those black and gold or black and silver would make me feel like a 40 year old riding super hero!!! For just 100 x the price of my comfy new Treadstones, I could look like a super hero hacking around on my pony!:yes:

Where did you see the price chart? I couldn't find one. :(

Velvet
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:47 AM
Would I be wrong if I suggested they might just be white for contrast to show the clinic audience how a leg is supposed to be positioned and used ...?

Yep, I would be you are wrong. Only because I'm sure that was not the main topic for that forum and because no one would need to use off white boots to show the leg like that.

Trixie
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:24 AM
Guess what? You're the only one who would probably notice that, and unless you're riding around obsessing over how long your legs look (or don't look) in the arena mirrors, you would do just fine in boots without the spanish tops.

Eh, who cares? If she prefers a Spanish top, what difference does it make? They DO look better, at least on me - I just ordered a new pair of custom half chaps (thank you Mr. Trixie) specifically with the Spanish top because I was tired of my previous pair sliding down and making me look like I was riding in too short boots. Of course, they also had a hole in the calf, but that didn't change my preference.

Silly, maybe, but a personal preference.

SillyHorse
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
These off-white boots just help prove that money doesn't care how it's spent.

amm2cd
Jan. 20, 2011, 04:06 PM

Signed,

I'm going to have to agree with NETG :D... I'm 5'1" and it really really helps my legs look less stumpy... especially when standing around with other riders who are more.. ahm... athleticly built. :lol:
And it's my money, so I'll buy the boots that make me feel pretty. Which those white boots NEVER would (still on topic!):dead:!

Somantu
Jan. 20, 2011, 04:58 PM

Yep! I have burgundy dress boots w/extra tall Spanish tops. I need all the help I can get when it comes to a "long" leg.

The pics don't show the matching spur straps – which the boot maker threw in gratis!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3498992&l=111c420162&id=669450663

TBROCKS
Jan. 20, 2011, 05:16 PM
Those things are hiddy. Maybe they were special made for the symposium, so that whatever she's doing with her leg would be more obvious to the audience. They give me the impression that she has a medical condition involving her lower legs. Just wrong.

Traum
Jan. 20, 2011, 06:53 PM
AR, you're in luck!! Check out the Millenium boot on the casadelasbotas link :D It's BLUE! I could love me some blue boots.

Somantu, those burgundy boots are gorgeous!!!

Quibbler
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:46 PM
I really like the Milano boots. They've got a little flair, but I don't think they're too over the top. Now I just want to know how much they are... but it's probably best not to ask because no matter what, they'll be way out of my price range.

Carli
Jan. 21, 2011, 07:40 AM
I'll be in Buenos Aires in May if anyone needs first hand pictures, perhaps I can 'swing by,' haha!

camohn
Jan. 21, 2011, 07:44 AM
as to the color....nooo....reasons: dust/dirt, horse poo, puddles, and black saddle scuffs....I have not yet seen a white dressage saddle to go with them!

sisu27
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:51 AM

I love the Derby!! Seriously, what is wrong with that boot?!?!

I think I saw these guys at WEG and the boots are pretty nice.

I want the Fermin Carreras badly.

hntrjmprpro45
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
Where did you see the price chart? I couldn't find one. :(

They are custom so they don't list prices but I believe they are $500-$600 +/- depending on where they are shipped to.

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
Well, first look at those boots and I was thinking "Nancy Sinatra-Boots were made for Walkin"!

Marieke
Jan. 22, 2011, 08:43 AM
O how fun to find this thread!

Custom boots are all the rage in Europe, especially 'PIMP YOUR BOOT'. From croc leather, different colors, 'embroidery', sewn in crystals, custom zipper length, zipper placement, custom 'lips'.

We have our first shipment of the lipica boots (www.lipica.nl which is where adelinde gets her boots), and most of them are actually going to people who are showing in Wellington. I'll be going there in March myself, so if you'd like to schedule an appointment to get measured, that is easy. Depending on your choices, the boots run from $400 and up.

It is the same as with the short shadbelly, or the colored dressage coat. 3 years ago people were 'hesitant' and looked a lot at the coat, but wouldn't purchase, this year they are flying of the shelf, can't keep them in stock for long. Last year, hesitantly a lady bought a grey dressage coat for showing, and I've sold 5 greys and 3 chocolates within the past 2 weeks. Granted those are all going to riders who ride with trainers that have a 'connection' with Europe, but that tells me it will come! And more colors are coming this year too.... All mute colors but definitely more exciting. We're going to look like ladies, not penguins.

Quibbler
Jan. 22, 2011, 10:37 AM
A light gray coat would be beautiful! I love the stark contrast of black/white, especially on my white mare, but I could imagine a gray looking very nice with a chestnut. I'd definitely consider buying one if I had the horse to match.

Marieke
Jan. 22, 2011, 12:13 PM
ahhhhh the matching game :) We've got an app for that. (ok, so it s not an app, but the picture is fun to see what would look best with you and your horse ;)

http://www.equinefashionandtack.com/category/riding-tips.styling_-_matchin_coat_color_with_your_horse/

Luvthespots
Jan. 22, 2011, 08:37 PM

There are at least 6 pairs that I want. So many pretty boots... so little money...

faraway46
Feb. 6, 2011, 06:48 PM

I just had the tops altered a little so they wouldn't be so big, since I'm only 5ft. I loooove them and can show because I do the jumpers.
Jorge is the owner of Casa de las Botas and is a master craftsman. He has some light green boots that when you take them off the shelf you say "yuck!" but when they start wearing and oiling, they get a marbled, darker tinge that is awesome. Here are pics of the boots when I just got them:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/566433412bscHWu
Jorge can custom your order to any extent: color, shape of tops, toe caps, etc. He is great.

Also, there is another manufacturer that I love:
http://www.felipemagnasco.com.ar/
The sidezip on his boots are fantastic: much easier to put on and never break (because the zipper pulls/rubs differently than the one that goes on the back of your leg). He also makes an awesome faded blue field boot and plays alot with different types of leathers (croc, ostrich, etc). Check the paddock boots to see the different types.
My latest pair are Magnasco's black, full ostrich tall boots with side zips.
Jorge's and Felipe's boots are all about u$s500-700 (door to door s&h included). I recently helped a fellow BBer purchase her's online and that's aprox what she paid. Unfortunately, I can't recall her name. If you search the threads of Casa de las Botas, I'm sure her's will come up.

After this post, I guess you can tell I have a serious boot fetish...:winkgrin:

Viv

RedHorses
Feb. 7, 2011, 12:09 AM
If I'm looking at the same pictures you guys are, those off white boots are field boots.

And add me to the yuck! reaction group! :lol:

horsefaerie
Feb. 7, 2011, 01:18 AM
I would love to find an old style canvas and leather boot for schooling.

I used to have a few pair but the years took them decades ago.

I don't even know if they still make them.

The sites posted previously look like the Jetsons go riding to me. Yuck.

Eclectic Horseman
Feb. 7, 2011, 09:04 AM
I would love to find an old style canvas and leather boot for schooling.

I used to have a few pair but the years took them decades ago.

I don't even know if they still make them.

The sites posted previously look like the Jetsons go riding to me. Yuck.

FRYE boots still has them

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VNB85G/ref=asc_df_B001VNB85G1420827?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-348-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001VNB85G

edvera07
Sep. 29, 2011, 07:29 AM
I respect your dressing style (http://www.celebguru.com/entry/kate-middleton-change-dressing-style/) but I think the combo of the short tight dress and those particular boots, it would come off kind of hooker and unless you're going for that look. I’d pick a plain black pump or small healed boot. Pair it with chunky silver or gold chain and chunky earrings, would be super cute. Also do you hair and makeup kind of vintage, pin up style with soft curls, cat eye and red lip. That would be pretty.

GingerJumper
Sep. 29, 2011, 08:04 AM
I respect your dressing style (http://www.celebguru.com/entry/kate-middleton-change-dressing-style/) but I think the combo of the short tight dress and those particular boots, it would come off kind of hooker and unless you're going for that look. I’d pick a plain black pump or small healed boot. Pair it with chunky silver or gold chain and chunky earrings, would be super cute. Also do you hair and makeup kind of vintage, pin up style with soft curls, cat eye and red lip. That would be pretty.

What does this have to do with off-white dress boots from, like, nine months ago??

Brindisi
Sep. 29, 2011, 08:28 AM
I trash my boots wayyy too quickly to have an ugly white pair! Besides, black is slimming :P

Some of the custom boots are kind of cool, but most of them are overkill or just plain U.G.L.Y!!!

ise@ssl
Sep. 29, 2011, 08:37 AM
Couldn't find the photo.

SaddleFitterVA
Sep. 29, 2011, 08:56 AM
Me neither, but that is likely because Dressagedaily is a news site and this was originally posted 9 months ago...:D