PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the Dressage Queen: Anky buys Grand Prix horse to be back in the Game

eurodressage
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:19 PM
Anky van Grunsven has bought herself a confirmed Grand Prix horse to be back in the Game and make a run for the 2011 European Championships and 2012 Olympic Games.

The news was broken on http://www.eurodressage.com

Upido is a rising 11-year old Dutch warmblood stallion by Ferro x Amethist. He was very successful in Spain at Grand Prix level.

Coyoteco
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
Yes, she put it on her facebook about 30 minutes ago and linked her website where there is more information.

Tanyanoel
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:34 PM
Very cool, sounds like a very nice horse! What happened to Salinero, did I miss something? Is there a reason he has not been in competition lately, or have I missed it?

Jim Knopf
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:38 PM
He looks like a big horse!

BetterOffRed
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
Salinero is probably 17 years old. For all intents and purposes, he's pretty much retired. And didn't he have some sort of whither injury that kept him out all last season?

He looks like a lovely horse, but good grief...that name! GAG-O-MATIC! It is 2 letters off from STUPIDO. Just sayin......

Zevida
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:55 PM
At least it isn't just the Americans that buy their way into the international ring on made horses! :lol:

Not that Anky has anything to prove of course.

CDNJumperGirl
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:11 PM
At least it isn't just the Americans that buy their way into the international ring on made horses! :lol:

Not that Anky has anything to prove of course.

and the Germans just bought the Dutch team's best horse ;)
Its not hard to belive that the Queen of Dressage would feel some pressure to get back in the game. She's still young.

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:24 PM
ooooo, me likey!

Wooly Wintertime
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:12 PM
Could just be me, but that horse has some LEGS!

very pretty though.

dwblover
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:16 PM
That horse is so gorgeous!

netg
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:40 PM
Could just be me, but that horse has some LEGS!

very pretty though.

I love them that way!

Very nice looking fella!

EasyStreet
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:10 PM
Wonder if she is still gonna do the Reining???

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:07 PM
I wonder how the horse will feel about exercising with his nose on his chest???

hoopoe
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:55 PM
wow that took 13 posts

what is wrong with you people, should have been mentioned sooner

:rolleyes:

joiedevie99
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:10 PM

I bet she will. I believe she's been doing both for about 10 years now.

DownYonder
Jan. 20, 2011, 06:38 AM
Heard about this last weekend - kudos to Anky. I imagine she felt more encouraged to "get back in the game" after Totilas was sold to Germany. The Dutch will need her back in the big ring to give them more strength as they head toward London 2012.

SillyHorse
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:07 AM
wow that took 13 posts

what is wrong with you people, should have been mentioned sooner

:rolleyes:
People on this board are just so lazy! :lol:

Eclectic Horseman
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:14 AM

She has been quoted as saying that reining is just her hobby. She does reining for fun. Dressage is her profession. She does it for a living.

I imagine that just like the rest of us, she needs to keep doing her job in order to afford her hobby. :D

netg
Jan. 20, 2011, 11:12 AM

I think she bought her WEG horse in the fall, if I remember correctly. I'd assume so, then!

And I admit the thought of Anky using dressage as profession/reining as hobby made me giggle. Especially since she was on the international reining team!

Lieslot
Jan. 20, 2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry in dutch, but figured I'd link it anyway.
http://nos.nl/video/212956-anky-heeft-nieuwe-olympische-troef.html

No idea when she'll compete him yet, but definitely this year she says. But nevertheless no rush, she'll take her time with him to bond etc.
London 2012 is possible.
He's still a bit camera shy she said, but is getting used to it.
Was bred in the Netherlands, went to Spain as a 1,5yr old and is now back in the Netherlands :).
He has a great work etiquette, if anything too keen to work, a little too much drive, so it'll have to be channeled a little.
Whilst he has been competed, he's still unexperienced, but it's nevertheless all there, meaning, all the upper moves etc.
She has ridden him twice so far (I suspect that was in Spain).
She thinks he may not have been ridden in an indoor yet, so has got to get used to all this. Plus he might be a little chilly, considering it's warmer in Spain :D.

lekkim
Jan. 21, 2011, 02:14 PM
I found this from the interview - translated...:)

http://www.horse2rider.eu/Webnodes/en/Web/CMS/Nyheder/Upido+T-CL+m%F8der+pressen+for+f%F8rste+gang