PDA

View Full Version : ? about monoflap saddle blocks...

eventer_mi
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:58 AM
For those of you who have monoflap saddles, do you tend to hit the upper thigh block?

I have an Antares monoflap, 2A flap, that I bought off a local eventer who decided to quit riding. it's lovely, 17.5" seat with plenty of room for me (I normally take anywhere between a 17-17.5" in a saddle) - got more than a hand behind me and a hand in front. With the stirrups adjusted to jumping length, the saddle appears to fit my leg just fine (I've checked in a mirror). It also feels fine flatting around in that length and jumping smaller fences.

The problem comes when I jump anything that requires Oliver to pay attention - I sort of hit the thigh block with my upper thigh on landing. I have a small bruise on both sides after a jump school with my trainer this past Monday. Do any of you experience this? I have a Devoucoux Biarritz with the same flap configuration (2A) and I don't have these issues with that one, but it's not a monoflap. The blocks on the Antares aren't that big, either.

Admittedly, I'm not the smallest of riders, but I've never experienced this before, even with a saddle with too straight of a flap. Do I need to get a different flap config? Or just lose weight? :yes: thoughts? TIA!

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:19 PM
personally I don't quite understand.
are you saying that you think you should not be feeling the block at all?

the glory of blocks is upon landing you hit them and they keep you from falling on your head. yey blocks!

I will have a bruise sometimes mid inner thigh if I get jumped outta the tack.

eventer_mi
Jan. 20, 2011, 11:30 AM
Purp - I'm not sure what I'm thinking. I was just wondering if this was typical of monoflap exterior blocks. I've had one other monoflap (a Forestier that was way too big for me) and I never came close to hitting the thigh block. I am a bit suspicious that the saddle may not be quite forward enough for me, which is why I'm asking. And yes, that's where my bruise is when I get jumped out of the tack, too.

wsmoak
Jan. 20, 2011, 11:38 AM
The only time I can conceive of hitting those front blocks is if I really, really needed them. :D

However, mine has extra forward flaps plus an 18" seat (was bought used, I probably don't actually need *both* of those things): http://www.pbase.com/wendysmoak/image/120064938

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2011, 11:50 AM
I'd say "thank you, block" is a reasonable response to hitting them. :) If you're hitting them all the time, then the saddle doesn't fit you. If you're hitting them in situations where you're out of position or coming loose, well . . . "thank you, block". :)

purplnurpl
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
The only time I can conceive of hitting those front blocks is if I really, really needed them. :D

However, mine has extra forward flaps plus an 18" seat (was bought used, I probably don't actually need *both* of those things): http://www.pbase.com/wendysmoak/image/120064938

watch your back. I'm coming to steal your saddle!!

purplnurpl
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:50 PM
I love my blocks. I take them to bed with me.

I use them all the time including leaning on them when I gallop. I know this only because when I gallop in my hunter saddle I get really tired, really fast.

My saddles are all a wee tad small because I'm huge.

Martina
Jan. 20, 2011, 05:42 PM
When I was hitting the block in the demo saddle, it was in the 2 pt at the canter, and sometimes even the trot. The chiberta block is squared off and super firm, so it kind of hurt to feel it pressing into my thigh.

wsmoak
Jan. 20, 2011, 05:53 PM
watch your back. I'm coming to steal your saddle!!

LOL. I love that saddle. It's like wearing a seatbelt. :D

yellowbritches
Jan. 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
Yes, blocks serve a purpose, but if you are bashing into them hard enough to leave bruises, something, I think, is not quite right. I'd suggest playing with your stirrup length (probably UP), and see if it gets a little more comfortable.

I am riding in a Berney's monoflap prototype (kinda a combo of the Olympic and the TW), and I know I definitely feel my blocks when my stirrups are longer. But when they are short enough they are "there" but not painfully so.

I also found that the balance and design of this saddle vs my old TW has me riding a few holes shorter. When I first rode in it, I put my stirrups up to my "real" xc length (where I ride Vernon at prelim and on steeplechase) and felt they were too long and the blocks were "in my way" (I wasn't happy, as I'm not a huge fan of blocks). I went up two or three more holes, felt properly balanced for a gallop and xc go, and the blocks felt like they actually served a purpose rather than just got in my way.