PDA

View Full Version : Showing in a helmet?

Jim Knopf
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:50 PM
Does it matter what type of helmet you show in (recognized shows)? Are the "plastic" less expensive ones "show approved?" What about the "jumper" style with silver down the front or air vents?

Petstorejunkie
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:26 PM
I show in this helmet
http://ovationriding.com/en/ovation_product_details.htm?prd=2715142711

dressage is about what you DO, not what labels you wear.

Beentheredonethat
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:35 PM
You can do what you want, but it's less distracting to have solid black, so you can always get a helmet cover to make it nice and solid.

To add to Poltroon--you can get a cheap, velvet looking cover, it doesn't have to be lycra!

poltroon
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:46 PM
I show in a black Troxel Sierra at the moment, which is not exactly traditional.

You can use any helmet. Ideally, it would be black, and better yet, black matte. But, I think it's probably more important to have a well fitting jacket and tidy hair than it is to have any particular helmet. Pick one that fits your head and your wallet. I think the judges will be fine with any brand.

If your helmet is shiny pink plastic, I'd probably suggest a cheap black lycra cover. :D

That said, the most traditional look is velvet, and it's never wrong.

dghunter
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:26 AM
I plan on showing in my Charles Owen GR8. I love it, got it back when I was doing hunters. It's very comfortable and I think it looks fairly classy.

I also have a pink troxel for schooling but wouldn't dream of showing in it :lol:

Sonoma City
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:48 AM
I am also in the camp that likes the look of something solid. There's no rule saying you can't use any certified helmet out there, I just think it completes the nice formal picture when you have white breeches and a stock tie on :) The Charles Owen GR8 helmets are very popular. They are pretty low profile so look nice. Just make sure you try on a few before purchasing to make sure it fits well and is comfortable, that's the most important thing!

netg
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
I like the GR8 type of helmets, but I have a velvet IRH. It was the one which fit me best, so it's the one I went with.

For a rated show I agree that something not plastic and airy is best, though if it's 100+ degrees out and coats are waived, that may be the best option... maybe I'll take my schooling helmets to shows, too!

MysticOakRanch
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:11 AM
You can show, even at a rated show, in a plastic helmet. I like the sueded look myself, but when I show in the rain, I pull out my plastic head :lol: Rules don't require certain colors, textures, or materials... Go for comfort. You can always but a little helmet cover to make it look more finished.

Velvet
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:04 AM
While I'm all for funk and bling on most things, on the helmet I think anything other than black is just horrible. I already think bubble protective helmets look terrible, so why draw attention to the fact that you look like a bobble head? :eek:

I go with simple black velvet/velveteen over the entire helmet. No silver vents, etc. Those just look dorky...IMO.

rugbygirl
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:03 AM
and tidy hair

Yeah...I got a comment on my last card about "hairnet would have been appropriate."

I have mostly observed plain black helmets in the Dressage ring, pretty similar to what you see in the Hunters. The Tipperary helmets are popular with the Pony Club/Eventing crowd here, and they often put a plain black velvet cover over those helmets, which have more vents and are shiny and sometimes colourful.

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:06 AM
I plan on showing in my Charles Owen GR8. I love it, got it back when I was doing hunters. It's very comfortable and I think it looks fairly classy.

I also have a pink troxel for schooling but wouldn't dream of showing in it :lol:

me too. I bought the JR8 specifically for dressage.
This year is the 1st year I've worn an approved helmet for dressage. It took some getting used to seeing the helmet strap in pictures. It's def not as lovely.

but solid all the same.

walktrot
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:20 PM
While I'm all for funk and bling on most things, on the helmet I think anything other than black is just horrible. I already think bubble protective helmets look terrible, so why draw attention to the fact that you look like a bobble head? :eek:

I go with simple black velvet/velveteen over the entire helmet. No silver vents, etc. Those just look dorky...IMO.

Bobble head?????

mjhco
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:11 PM
I competed all last year at Intermediare II in my IRH Elite Extreme. All kinds of vents. So much more comfortable than my top hat.

MLD
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:41 PM
Just wear a helmet that fits you correctly and is comfortable. Leave the ugly helmet covers at the store. They don't improve on the helmet's look at all... if anything, they make them look larger and bulkier than they already are....especially the Tippery helmets. Might as well strap a 5 gallon bucket on your head and cover it in lycra or velvet.

If you can't afford to buy two helmets, one for show and one for schooling, make sure you buy a black or navy helmet (whatever matches your jacket) so you can wear it for both.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
I have the IRH ATH SSV that I wear for schooling shows. I would use it for recognized shows if I weren't broke!

It's solid black, with a black vent. Very classy-looking, not at all distracting. I like the sueded material because I think it wears better than velvet. I school in the same helmet, so it has to hold up.

I think anythign solid black, navy, or dark brown, and not shiney plastic, will look just fine. Just don't draw attention to your head :)

yaya
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
I showed Prix St Georges in a shiny black plastic helmet with vents, and never got a comment. Looks fine in the pictures too.

honeylips
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:51 PM
I showed PSG all last year in a Charles Owen "hampton" helmet. Just ordered it in blue for this year.

LisaW-B
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:08 AM
I'm showing in my white Troxel Spirit helmet with a black velvet cover on it. I would like to buy a separate show helmet sometime (I like the Troxel matte-black one -- Troxels happen to fit my head best), but really, the judges aren't focused on whether or not anyone's wearing a $30 helmet with a cover, or a $200 helmet as long as we're neat, clean and not distracting, and I really don't care beyond that. :D

le_dressage
Jan. 21, 2011, 02:30 PM
A nice solid velvet like helmet I think looks best. They have gotten very resonable now and if you want to keep it looking nice buy a cover for it when you use it the rest of the time.

Velvet
Jan. 21, 2011, 02:41 PM
Bobble head?????

You know, like a bobble head doll. :lol:

Kadenz
Jan. 21, 2011, 02:57 PM
I bought a "show" helmet, a pretty velvet IRH that for some reason now seems too oval for my head - at my first show in 2010, it kept tipping forward or back. During the extended walk, I had to reach up and tip it up off my glasses!

After that I started showing in my schooling helmet, a plastic Ovation. The judge doesn't care what your helmet looks like, as long as it fits.

humbledagain
Jan. 21, 2011, 07:49 PM
Just curious, if money was not the deciding factor in choosing a helmet, what would be your choice for a beautiful, functional and comfortable helmet for the dressage show ring?

vanillabean
Jan. 24, 2011, 07:16 PM
If money was no option, probably would buy a Charles Owen for showing. I have an Ovation for schooling and it is super comfortable so I show in it if I am not wearing my top hat.

EmptyPocketFarm
Jan. 24, 2011, 07:57 PM
Here it the link to the actual rule...it has to be an APPROVED helmet: http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/313-10.pdf I don't think anything else matters...so that means one with a harness.