PDA

View Full Version : Area VII people - best HT for a horses very first time?

Lucky_Break
Jan. 18, 2011, 07:55 PM
My young guy has been coming along fabulously and I am planning his show season. After a year of light showing at several venues my goal is to finish in the late summer/fall with an actual Horse Trial. Since I am new to area VII I was hoping some of you out there might be able to guide me.

I am looking for the perfect show where my guy can go BN. He will be well prepared by then for the BN and N questions. However I'd like a fairly straight forward course on both XC and in stadium. Some places have a highly charged atmosphere and some are a little more laid back. Since this will be his first HT I want to set him up for success and that means making a smart choice about our first venue.

Any input would be appreciated. I think I want to stay in WA this year so that is the limitation.

Thank you guys in advance for your help with this one! :winkgrin:

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:34 PM
Aspen Farm was run super well this year! One of my friends took her green horse to his first bn there and it went super well. Bn show jumps on Saturday so the atmosphere is way calmer up by the show jump ring. The fall ht jumped on sand which was awesome. XC is great for greenies, there's a mandatory water (flagged but if they stop its not a refusal) on bn.
The atmosphere is a bit mote charged than some, but I'd consider it pretty laid back overall. E.I. is NOT the best run IMO and caber has a more charged atmosphere as well, I think. So yeah overall I'd suggest Aspen imo :)

sofiethewonderhorse
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:12 PM
Aspen is a lovely venue. Another to take a look at is the YRBHT at the revamped Lincoln Creek facility.

The Area YR Coordinator has done a phenomal job in raising money, having the course designed by a pro (John Williams) and quality fences built.

Plus, LC has the best footing in the area (when it isn't under water :lol:)

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
Yes I would suggest yrbht as well! However its in early August- wasn't sure that was too early. If not though, that's another great option! Anni does a great job organizing it :)

Lucky_Break
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:45 AM
Yes I would suggest yrbht as well! However its in early August- wasn't sure that was too early. If not though, that's another great option! Anni does a great job organizing it :)

PuraVidaEventing, you are right, August is too soon for my plans. I am thinking more like Sept/Oct or later (if there is anything). Your first post about Aspen was exactly what I was looking for information wise. I'm on my way to check it out right now! :D

Mtn trails
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
I second LC, really had a good time there last year and it was well run and low key. Caber is also running August (19-21), then Aspen Labor Day Weekend. E.I. is having theirs at the WA Horse Park this year. I volunteered last year at the Championships at NWEC and thought it was pretty well run in spite of the torrential downpour Sunday.

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:01 PM
Just my input on EI, even though it is the latest event in Area 7, a lot of the trainers in the area had a problem with the way it was run last year...my trainer along with a few of the other "BNTs" (ya know...for area 7 haha) won't be going back to E.I. for a while. HOWEVER I've heard the WA horse park might turn out REALLY well, I just have no idea what the BN (or any course for that matter) will look like there.
Aspen is in early September, but if that's not too early I'd still recommend that event :)

fanfayre
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:05 PM
NWEC is a beautiful site, and seems very fair.
I did my (ex)young guy's very first Novice there (in the Spring) and he ate up the course, passing the finish at optimum time:yes::). He sold 2 weeks later...
It's a Steve Buckman course, so there's lots of logs, coops, and ramps. Nothing too interesting, but then, nothing too scary, either.
Haven't been there, but everything I've heard about Aspen is wonderful, and it's on our must-go when my filly is ready to compete.

lurker
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:25 PM
I think Aspen is a super place for a greenie. My guy did his first ever HT there at Novice and he was a super star. Came in 2nd! There is something about that place that relaxes him. He has has his best dressage tests there. The courses are very straight forward and do get more technical as you move up but the questions are fair. We moved up to Training in the fall and won it on our dressage score! Very well run and awesome prizes and they treat the volunteers fabulously!

bewarethechestnutmare
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:22 PM
Aspen is my "home turf" if you will-- it's an amazing facility, with professionally run events and altogether one of my favorite places to be. :) But just an FYI, you can expect that nearly every fence in both XC and stadium will be at height for the level. The courses are beautifully built, have a great flow and ask very fair questions-- but it won't be a "soft" course. Just wanted to make sure that got mentioned as well. See you out somewhere in Area VII this summer!

catmchorse
Jan. 20, 2011, 01:29 AM
Glad to hear such great reviews of Aspen. I groomed for my trainer there last June and was really impressed by it...especially when I walked the Novice and Prelim XC courses (those were the levels my trainer was riding). They were beautiful and to my fairly inexperienced eye looked great, and my trainer commented on how nicely everything flows and how logically/progressively the questions were laid out.

I'm hoping to ride at one of their HTs this year. Very excited! It's such a gorgeous facility.

Lucky_Break
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys! It sounds like Aspen is the 'destination' event to aim for this year! I watched this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Q9GpgAezw) of someone riding XC and Stadium at Aspen Farms last June (2010). Is it me or are there some pretty big questions for BN level courses?

AF sure is beautiful though and it looks like a fabulous course to ride!

Popcorn
Jan. 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
Aspen's Fall event was my first event in 2010 and I did BN. Gorgeous facility, wonderful people and I had a blast.

Personally, for me, it wasn't our event and I ended up retiring on xc on Sunday. I hadn't properly done my homework and that was reflected in my riding. Dressage and Stadium were great though. As someone said earlier, they ran BN and N Stadium Saturday, which was nice.

I also did the Chehalis Pony Club 1-day at Caber Farm in late July/early August and had a blast. My friend, who rode at the Caber event at BN, said the course included a lot of the same fences from the 1-day. I believe the Pony Club does a weekend of 1-day events, so maybe that would an option for schooling? not sure if stabling is available, but it might be worth looking at depending on where you are this summer with your greenie.

Hindsight being what it is, I probably should have done the Caber event in August and not Aspen. I think I over-faced myself for my first event at Aspen. However, I learned a lot that weekend and took a lot of take aways home to work on.

The facility at Aspen was wonderful. I just didn't prepare properly, combined with the first recognized event I'd ever done, nerves, etc...my horse was a rockstar and with a more confident ride on Sunday, we would have gotten around xc.

I hope this helps, I'm just an Adult Ammie who's just getting started. Maybe I'll see you this summer!

Mtn trails
Jan. 21, 2011, 02:19 PM
Aspen is lovely and I did go to a one day derby 2(?) years ago and it was the first time my horse had seen a x-c fence so was very looky but she did well (BN) and although we didn't place, it was a good learning experience. I'm planning on entering the September one this year (I hope). We should have a get-together!

Calvincrowe
Jan. 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
Mt. Trails--just wander around the LQ trailers at any event and find the Adult Rider's Nightly Soiree!:lol: Those ladies (and a few men) really know how to party! My SIL is in the middle of most of those good times, she posts on here as Lurker, so look her up! I want to groom for her, just so I can sit around, drinking wine and eating amazing food with those folks after a hard day's ride.

Mtn trails
Jan. 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
yep, they do know how to party. I had a blast with them 2 years ago when I volunteered at their Spring Fling derby. I wish they would do one this year, it was so much fun.

albigears
Jan. 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
My horse's first (BN) event was at Aspen this spring. It is well run and a gorgeous, gorgeous facility.

Having said that, I thought the stadium round jumps were really maxed out with some tricky questions. (Bending line, a 1 or 2 stride, etc.) I believe that maybe 6 our of 20 went clear? My instructor seriously thought they had set up the Novice course early. She did say that if I could get through that course I could get through a Novice course easily.

I loved the XC, quite inviting although after the first 2 or 3 jumps they were maxed out height wise as well. The last jump on course was maxed out in every way possible.

I think Aspen is known for having big jumps though. Just know that going in.

rubytoo
Jan. 23, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Inavale. That is a very strong BN course, excellent questions and much more interesting than log, log, log, log...dip, log :)

Lucky_Break
Jan. 24, 2011, 10:51 PM
My horse's first (BN) event was at Aspen this spring. It is well run and a gorgeous, gorgeous facility.

Having said that, I thought the stadium round jumps were really maxed out with some tricky questions. (Bending line, a 1 or 2 stride, etc.) I believe that maybe 6 our of 20 went clear? My instructor seriously thought they had set up the Novice course early. She did say that if I could get through that course I could get through a Novice course easily.

I loved the XC, quite inviting although after the first 2 or 3 jumps they were maxed out height wise as well. The last jump on course was maxed out in every way possible.

I think Aspen is known for having big jumps though. Just know that going in.

Allbigears, that's just what I was thinking watching the video of Aspen this fall. It looked really beautiful but very challenging and I'm not sure that's what I want for my boys first HT. Although he may be ready to go Novice at seasons end so this would be a good first one if that is the case. If not, we will definitely have to do a different show. Success and a good positive day is the most important thing when it comes to showing my young horse.

You guys have been great though and it's wonderful to see so many area VII riders on the board.

catmchorse
Jan. 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Inavale. That is a very strong BN course, excellent questions and much more interesting than log, log, log, log...dip, log :)

Inavale is my favorite because it's nearby and I have ridden there many, many times :yes: I was under the impression that BN was pretty tough this year, though, at least on XC.
I rode Novice and the carnage on XC was pretty extensive - I had a great ride but it's my mare's best phase. I didn't walk the BN course, so maybe it was gentler. I think OP was looking for a pretty straightforward course.

I will tell you that it was my mare's first event and I think the atmosphere kind of overwhelmed her by the end of the weekend. But it was the only event I've ridden in, so I can't really compare to anywhere else.

That probably wasn't very helpful :lol: