PDA

View Full Version : OConnor puts in bid for Technical Advisor

chestnutwithchrome
Jan. 18, 2011, 06:18 PM
Looks like there is going to be a couple different choices of leadership in 2012. David Oconnor has done a good job with Canada, maybe he could get us straightened out, and it would still leave Dutton to continue to compete and win!!!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/o%E2%80%99connor-announces-bid-eventing-technical-advisorchef-d%E2%80%99equipe

retreadeventer
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:04 PM
I guess it says something about the sport of eventing when a post with major news like this causes virtually no discussion in the first hour or so it's up. ;)
I fear our two choices will knock out some riders that will make the Europeans VERY happy. Either way we lose somebody we really need. And how is DOC going to manage president and coach too?

Janet
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
And how is DOC going to manage president and coach too?
I believe his term as president ends in mid 2012 (and he can not serve another term).

Moody Mare
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:30 PM
I believe his term as president ends in mid 2012 (and he can not serve another term).

He was president while coaching Canada too.

sofiethewonderhorse
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:09 PM
Is that because Snoopy has gone on vacation? :cool:

I guess it says something about the sport of eventing when a post with major news like this causes virtually no discussion in the first hour or so it's up. ;)
I fear our two choices will knock out some riders that will make the Europeans VERY happy. Either way we lose somebody we really need. And how is DOC going to manage president and coach too?

OverandOnward
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:37 PM
Could Dutton-Costello coach Canada and DOC coach the U.S? (rhetorical idealistic thought)

Does the submission by both Dutton and DOC competing for Technical Advisor cause any ill-feelings, or is it all very sportsmanlike?

Is anyone else expected to apply? Thought about applying but changed their mind?

Will the selection be made before or after the 2012 Olympics?

from COTH article

“I’m fully expecting to try to win the Olympics,” said O’Connor.If Canada medals, gold medals, and/or places above the U.S., I would think that would support his qualifications to take the U.S. team in hand. I was impressed by the Canadian eventing team at the WEG.

I would be interested in every bit of inside trivia, rumor, gossip and innuendo available. I am not an insider and do not know these things, but would love to find out as an un-involved popcorn-eating beer-sipping spectator. ;) :cool: :D

JER
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:56 PM
from COTH article:

“I’m fully expecting to try to win the Olympics,” said O’Connor.

'fully expecting to try'?

In other words, if he gets the job, he 'expects' that he'll 'try' to win the Olympics?

Which means there's still some room for his plans to change and therefore, to 'not try' to win the Olympics. I can see it now: the US team ends up off the podium and DOC says, in his best PeeWee Herman, "I meant to do that."

(:winkgrin:)

riderboy
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:55 AM
'fully expecting to try'?

In other words, if he gets the job, he 'expects' that he'll 'try' to win the Olympics?

Which means there's still some room for his plans to change and therefore, to 'not try' to win the Olympics. I can see it now: the US team ends up off the podium and DOC says, in his best PeeWee Herman, "I meant to do that."

(:winkgrin:)
I'll have to preface these comments by saying anyone who events knows how notoriously difficult it can be just to complete a competition sometimes. But, I would really expect a bit more positive, let's go get 'em attitude from someone in a leadership or potential leadership position. I read all the various comments about the WEG in Eventing Magazines latest issue .
It was just one big bag of excuses of hard luck and poor timing. No future planning, no "this is what we learned the hard way and we won't repeat it", nothing. Inspire, lead and fire us up! Somebody!

retreadeventer
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:11 AM
He was president while coaching Canada too.

I meant conflict of interest. Well, that's good, about the term ending -- coincides well. I get the feeling he's planned all this. I wonder if the Canadians feel betrayed?
I think...just my feelings, no facts to back this up...that many of our top riders would not be thrilled with him for a choice. My personal dealings with DOC lead me to be very worried about his "dictatorial" attitude getting into the stratosphere level with this title. Don't forget that a team coach has responsibilities to lead the team, yes, but also direct the sport -- and I've ridden over some of the XC courses he's designed, and have some opinions about them, and so do some of my friends. Of course the other is a complete unknown, too, in that dept. Overall: Future of US Eventing = Who Knows? Does anyone else think this is a crazy way to win a medal?

ottb
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:26 AM
I thought I read where the riders from Canada all felt that DOC was instrumental in their WEG medal as DOC was very interested in them as riders as well as building a team spirit.

US seems to be a collection of individuals not a team. I would imagine that DOC could have the same positive team influence in the US.

DLee
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:57 AM
If DOC had come out with some statement about returning America to the medals podium that was too confident, I'm sure some would accuse him of being an overconfident pompous ass, or something to that effect.
You can't win.

riderboy
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:34 AM
If DOC had come out with some statement about returning America to the medals podium that was too confident, I'm sure some would accuse him of being an overconfident pompous ass, or something to that effect.
You can't win.
Yes, maybe, there are always going to be detractors.
But how about a confident, positive, can-do attitude from somebody! A plan, some tactics, an analysis of where things could be changed and improved. I may be expecting too much in this transition period, but if DOC gets the job, that's what I'd like to see from him or whoever does get the job.

VicariousRider
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:45 AM
I find it strange that people are concerned that we will lose an important rider with the hiring or Philip or David. Eventually Karen and Philip will retire from upper level competition regardless. Who is to say that Philip won't retire even if he isn't hired as CdE?

Competing at the upper most levels is taxing on one's family and self. Training is where the money is made, anyhow, and the medals are how the riders build a resume for those purposes. I think Philip and Karen have more than proved themselves as good trainers.

We have to face the facts that Karen and Philip will eventually age out of international competition. We have lots of great, hungry, younger riders (Boyd, the Wills, Tiana, Jennie, Jon Holling, etc. etc.). The key is getting the right horses under them at the right moments for team competition purposes. It seems that Boyd and Jennie have learned how to develop a string of uber-talented horses with deep-pocketed owners to maximize their chances of having the right horse at the right time. This, to me, seems to be the key to getting on the team whether I like the idea or not.

advmom
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:50 AM
For those questioning David's comment "going to try to win a medal" he speaks of his work with the Canadians! he is under contract and committed to that team through the completion of the London Olympics.
Those beautiful smiling faces we all loved and were envious of at WEG will be his legacy on the podium in London!
That said both the PD program and the OCET program would have to change drastically for there to be no conflict as Technical Advisor to the US team.
The up and coming riders in both programs would have to move to distance themselves from the coach in order to not have a perceived favoritism

snoopy
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
Is that because Snoopy has gone on vacation? :cool:

Naughty!

JER
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
For those questioning David's comment "going to try to win a medal" he speaks of his work with the Canadians!

Uh, I was joking -- that's what this (:winkgrin:) means. Just pointing out an easy-to-exploit flaw in the spoken language.

I don't think anyone who takes the job would not try to win the Olympics or try not to win the Olympics. Or that they'd speak in a PeeWee Herman voice at the Olympics.

I do hope that whoever takes the job agrees to make it their only job. It should be -- especially with the money involved -- a full-time position.

I'm also encouraged that there are multiple applicants. I hope the selection committee makes it a fair competition.

vbunny
Jan. 19, 2011, 05:37 PM
Canadians credit DOC with developing confidence, attitude and team spirit as well as for giving them the mind set that Yes, they CAN do it. They felt pretty strongly that he was a big asset to them.

sisu27
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:23 PM
It sucks, if DOC lands the job it is confirmation that Canada will no longer have the benefit of his services however he was only ever committed to 2012 anyway, yes? Have to wonder if this wasn't his plan all along.

So I have to wonder if he does not get the job is it possible that the CET might get another stint with David?

Also, wanted to mention, all due respect to DOC, we have some other really great people in the high performance committee that have helped make positive changes with our team. They deserve some credit as well. We kind of have some talented riders and a few nice horses as well :)

That's how this Canadian feels about it.

ctab
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:01 PM
This was discussed on Jan 18 on Eventing Nation.
If David is chosen Karen would retire from team competitions and compete as an individual.
David was quoted as saying something to the effect of he has been working his whole career to this moment.
Sounds positive to me.
UBER Congrats to him if he gets it.
Go EN!: http://www.eventingnation.com/home/

pixietrix
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:01 PM
I can't help but feel there are going to be major politics in play here. With the statement that, in essence, DOC has been preparing to coach the US Team all his life, that states to me that the Canadians were a trial run, experiment of sorts, for him. Bet that made Team Canada feel special. It could be argued that his success there makes him supremely qualified to coach the Americans, but I'm not so sure his style will go over so well with his fellow citizens. From what I've seen of Team O'Connor, I'm not so sure those training methods ( somewhat rigid?) are going to go over so well with the other ULRs.

It worries me to think of the glad handing & courting that will be done at the USEF (meeting) campaigning for this. How much of a vote do the riders get? It seems that DOC was fairly instrumental in making deals with the Captain, one hand washing another so to speak, getting him rehired for his 2nd stint through London. Now he claims he can fix the system he helped keep in place?

:no:

advmom
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
sisu27
You are correct the Canadian system as a unit made some very sound decisions, the best of which was listening to David!
Allowing him the final voice in so many important decisions was very intelligent.
He was then able to take the very best the country had to offer and build from that, they learned alot about what it takes to make a team of winners who believed they could win!
Everyone deserves credit..hopefully the program can stand on it's own two feet if he gets the US job.
If not they'd take him back in a heartbeat.
Im certain everyone in Canada is praying they choose PD

rideonbestrong
Jan. 20, 2011, 07:57 AM
Lots of food for thought in this thread.

Questions: will politics be more/less in play with DOC at the helm? Is it better to have new faces?

Backstage
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:20 AM
Uh, I was joking -- that's what this (:winkgrin:) means. Just pointing out an easy-to-exploit flaw in the spoken language.

I don't think anyone who takes the job would not try to win the Olympics or try not to win the Olympics. Or that they'd speak in a PeeWee Herman voice at the Olympics.

In fairness, I view his statement as accurate. In the past, it wouldn't really be realistic to say that the Canadians were showing up to "try to win a medal". We were showing up to do our best, but winning a medal at the Olympics Games in Eventing has not been a realistic possibility in my lifetime. It just well may be in 2012.

I can't help but feel there are going to be major politics in play here. With the statement that, in essence, DOC has been preparing to coach the US Team all his life, that states to me that the Canadians were a trial run, experiment of sorts, for him. Bet that made Team Canada feel special.

I can't speak for the actual Canadian team members...but its been pretty clear to me for quite some time that DOC wanted the US job and that the Canadians were, indeed, a trial run. If I figured that out ages ago, I suspect the team members and the administration were well aware. DOC was probably even up front about it. And its not as if he would be breaking his commitment with us, he is only committed through 2012.

Anyway, as a Canadian, I want DOC to continue coaching the Canadians. As a person, I find myself hoping that DOC gets the US job. It seems that DOC is a hardworking and very talented guy who has been working toward this for a long time. It would be nice to see it pay off.

Becky Rocky
Jan. 20, 2011, 05:48 PM
This is a great thread, and in all honesty as soon as I saw that Bobby and Phillip has applied together, I was surprised that David didn't beat them to it. I logically put him in that place, and think that is what is best for us. Mark, living over seas, has been a burden for him truly knowing not just our team, but the 'B' level riders, and the young riders. David is intimate with our country and the up and coming riders, he's been there, has the skills, put Canada into medals after a long drought and has the personality for team captain.

My daughter has ridden with both Phillip and Bobby, both great in their own right. I read that Phillip would be primarily instructor while Bobby would handle the other things. Bobby's teaching skills are far superior, in my opinion and observation, he has a very wonderful way of connecting and getting most out of rider and horse. While Phillip is also a great instructor he's much more quiet, is regiment, and I feel, tends to "over-push" a rider and horse. If he plays the role of instructor, I honestly don't think he has the personality for it.

These are obviously just my opinions, but come from real experiences. I greatly admire both Bobby and Phillip, they are incredibly talented individuals. I think if we want what's best for this country in the discipline of eventing, it's a no-brainer . . . David's our man.