PDA

View Full Version : here we go - ? about boarding facilities in Mont. Co MD

gottagrey
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:20 PM
Can't believe I'm posting this about a couple of boarding barns in Montgomery Co. MD as I'm pretty familiar with most of them BUT there are a couple that I would love if someone could provide me some info on. Area of interest is low level eventing and some dressage and prefer if there is a resident trainer or trainers that come/or allowed to come. Also would like facility where people ride in the evening

The 3 that I'm unfamiliar with are:

Fox Hollow Farm
Good News Farm
Mountain View Farm (which I think is new ownership)

if any of you have other suggestions, please let me know. those particular barns are more or less in the target area.

Thanks so much

yellowbritches
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
Bennett's Creek Farm- www.bennettscreekfarm.com We're right around the corner from Fox Hollow, but are technically in Frederick. (We were Faircroft, in Potomac).

The people at Fox Hollow are great. The facilities are nice, though there indoor is teeny-tiny.

All I know about Good News is I like the general facilities. I don't know much else about it.

Mountain View is an old facility under new ownership. I don't know much about the girl who runs it...though, anything's got to be better than the crew that was there! :eek:

Keep1Belle
Jan. 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
Where are you located in montgomery County. There may be some barns close to you outside of the county that I could recommend.

teddygirl
Jan. 18, 2011, 05:45 PM
There are LOTS of barns for eventing around Montgomery County. Southwind Farm in Damascus is a neat place with a bunch of eventing trainers that are there or come in (Kelley Williams, Packy McGaughan and Sharon White come in, and the BO and BM also teach and train) and there are also dressage trainers. Some people ride during the day, some at night. There's an indoor, 2 outdoors, jumps, trails, etc. Very fun place and excellent care.

Other places include Waredaca, A Bit Better, Taylormade (Kate Chadderton's there),Sandmar, Oatlands, Bascule, there are a bunch. It depends what you're looking for. PM me if you want any detailed info about these places.

yellowbritches
Jan. 18, 2011, 07:07 PM
None of those places are in the area that the OP is obviously targeting, though (Barnesville/Boyds/Comus). They fit some of her wishes (resident trainers or trainers that come regularly), but aren't in the area she is looking in. I can spit and hit any of three she listed from our farm...it is a very specific area.

Darko
Jan. 18, 2011, 07:18 PM
Fox Hollow: agree with previous post (super great people and turnout but tiny indoor. Really nice outdoor though and care is high quality.

Havent heard a whole lot about Good News (think a strictly dressage guy is there, not sure though)

Mountain View is an old facility, completely restored (entire barn(stalls, plumbing, electric, etc.) and property(fencing run ins) gutted and now brand new) Have 1 stall open. The "girl who runs it" happens to be my mother-in-law! Outside trainers are welcome. We currently have 1 full time and 2 part time trainers there.

yellowbritches
Jan. 18, 2011, 08:29 PM
Mountain View is an old facility, completely restored (entire barn(stalls, plumbing, electric, etc.) and property(fencing run ins) gutted and now brand new) Have 1 stall open. The "girl who runs it" happens to be my mother-in-law! Outside trainers are welcome. We currently have 1 full time and 2 part time trainers there. Oops. My bad. Just shows how little I know. I think the girl I was thinking of may be a trainer there...I was under the impression she ran the place! So, unless your MIL is pretty young, I totally had the wrong impression! Still, way better than what it was going on there.

curlykarot
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:01 PM
Right down the street from Loch Moy (MDHT) is Miles Ahead Farm - www.milesaheadfarm.com (http://www.milesaheadfarm.com) (the website is a bit out of date but the contact info is correct). Kerry Blackmer is the owner/trainer and welcomes adults/kids of any level. Indoor, outdoor, hot/cold washrack, excellent care.

Cavan
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of those places are in the area that the OP is obviously targeting, though (Barnesville/Boyds/Comus). They fit some of her wishes (resident trainers or trainers that come regularly), but aren't in the area she is looking in. I can spit and hit any of three she listed from our farm...it is a very specific area.

It is quite possible based on the location of these facilities that the OP is located in Germantown, Rockville or Clarksburg, in which case Southwind Farm is just as easy to reach as Barnesville. I would recommend the care and atmosphere at Southwind to anyone. It is the best. Some of the places current boarders come from are D.C., Virginia and Anne Arundel Co. A couple of the boarders from the more distant locations have previously tried to leave Southwind for a location closer to their homes and have ended up back at Southwind.

I have a large barn within walking distance of my home, but keep my horses 14 miles away at Southwind due to the excellent care.

As teddygirl mentioned people ride at a variety of times, but in addition all the staff and some boarders live at the farm so you would not be alone even if no one is riding. I used to have to board at places where there was often not another human on the farm and I wonder sometimes, what was I thinking?

Good luck with your search.

Lisamarie8
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:37 AM
I keep Sir Woods of Spazalot at Southwind and am SUPER happy there. When I moved back to DC, I put him there as a temporary stay until I found someplace closer to work (Baltimore City) or home (Silver Spring). That was three years ago ;) It's totally worth my Triangle commute of almost 100 miles a day.

caffeinated
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:43 AM
I keep Sir Woods of Spazalot at Southwind and am SUPER happy there. When I moved back to DC, I put him there as a temporary stay until I found someplace closer to work (Baltimore City) or home (Silver Spring). That was three years ago ;) It's totally worth my Triangle commute of almost 100 miles a day.

I like it so much I moved there too. hahahaha! Nothing like going out in pajamas to give horse treats!

Seriously though, I looked at a couple barns when I moved to Olney a few years back, and though I hadn't looked at the ones mentioned, I looked at four or five and was pretty "meh" about them, and when I got to SW and met everybody it was a great fit for me. Very happy there, my horse is perfectly happy, and it's a great social fit, too.

(sorry folks, us SWers are having a little love train moment here. hahah!)

yellowbritches
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:52 AM
It is quite possible based on the location of these facilities that the OP is located in Germantown, Rockville or Clarksburg, in which case Southwind Farm is just as easy to reach as Barnesville.
I respectfully disagree with you on this point. Having lived in Germantown, I KNOW that it is a quick 10 minute trip to just about any of the farms the OP lists (give or take a couple of minutes, and that's going either the back roads or on 270). They are also very easy to get to from other places because they are all three (and our farm) pretty accessible from 270...all of them are a couple of minutes from a 270 exit. Damascus, while mileage wise is not that bad, it is NOT that easy to get to, especially in the evening. You hit your timing wrong coming down 27, and what can take 20 minutes ends up taking an hour. So, yes, there are lots of good barns in that area that may be worth driving to, but I don't think you can say they are just as easy to reach (of course, this is all assuming the OP lives in Germantown, R-ville, or the like).

The other thing is that the OP specifically says the farms she listed are "more or less in the target area". Maybe because my farm is in that area and I have a bit of a relationship with the people at Fox Hollow and I drive by all these farms on a regular basis, I am more aware of how targeted this area is...all three (plus mine) are probably in a 5 mile radius! That's pretty targeted. So, yeah, there's lots of farms in MoCo, plenty are worth boarding at (and God knows there are plenty worth avoiding like the plague), but the OP seems to have a pretty specific area she'd prefer to look in...

Lisamarie8
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:58 AM
The secret is to avoid 27/ridge road like the plague. When I'm coming from home instead of work I take the exit AFTER 27 and am on back roads the whole way in (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=11415+Bethesda+Church+Rd,+Damascus,+MD+20872&daddr=I-270+S&hl=en&geocode=FY_AVwIdT2Nl-ympyxajp9XJiTHmmUM6d6pt_g%3BFcSNVgIdesRk-w&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=12&sll=39.266019,-77.24453&sspn=0.118283,0.307961&ie=UTF8&z=12). It's SOOO much quicker!

I live in Silver Spring and it takes me about 30-35 minutes to get to the barn without traffic.

SpyglassEventing
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hello from Fox Hollow Farm! I manage the barn for the owner, keep my own horses here, and live here as well! Unfortunately, at this time the BO is not taking any boarders, so sadly you can take us from your list of boarding farms. We love new friends, though, so hopefully we'll see you around at events this spring!

Huge thumbs up for Yellowbritches' farm :) (astoundingly beautiful indoor!!) and personally know very happy boarders from both Southwind and Good News.

FYI, we do regularly host SJ and XC lessons with Boyd Martin here at the farm (well, during the spring, summer, and fall), and occasionally get Silva down here as well for some dressage butt-kicking, so if at all interested, PM me with your email address and we'll add you to the mailing list.

Good Luck!
Sara

yellowbritches
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:28 PM
We occasionally go over to Fox Hollow for the lessons with Boyd (hard not to. Nice outdoor and they're 4 miles away!).

To toot our own horn a bit more, we have very good regular instruction, are currently hosting a fun, inexpensive gymnastic clinic series, and occasionally bring in others to teach- both in a clinic type format and also (like this coming weekend) as a special perks for our riders...and some friends;).

On top of that, we provide great care, have fabulous facilities (which are just getting better by the day...on the final details of our remodel/expansion), very happy horses, happy riders, and we're small...you'll always have people to ride with in the evenings, but you don't have to dodge 10 other horses in the indoor. Not to mention our small numbers means your horse doesn't get "lost" in the shuffle.

And, we do have stalls (haven't been pushing to fill them since we were looking like a construction zone along 495 for awhile. That's over now! Much to my sanity's gratitude).

gottagrey
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the replies folks - yep live in Germantown and I'm actually helping w/a friend of mine who's relocating... Would recommend Southwind in a NY minute but sorry cannot cope w/the traffic on 27 - not if you are a working stiff and the last time I was up that way on a Saturday it was a nightmare.

Yellowbritches - I might have thought your place was too far out but if you are indeed a stone's throw from Fox Hollow might have to have them check your place out... this is one of those might have to move from a barn sagas which is never easy to do... so apologize for possible firedrill.. and for now they might just be interested in getting on a waiting list..

yellowbritches
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the replies folks - yep live in Germantown and I'm actually helping w/a friend of mine who's relocating... Would recommend Southwind in a NY minute but sorry cannot cope w/the traffic on 27 - not if you are a working stiff and the last time I was up that way on a Saturday it was a nightmare.

Yellowbritches - I might have thought your place was too far out but if you are indeed a stone's throw from Fox Hollow might have to have them check your place out... this is one of those might have to move from a barn sagas which is never easy to do... so apologize for possible firedrill.. and for now they might just be interested in getting on a waiting list..
Unfortunately, our address does not make our location seem as close in as it is. We're trying to figure out the best way of dealing with that, actually. If we were even half a mile further south down our road, we'd be "in" Dickerson, just like Fox Hollow (which really is like 3.5/4 miles from us). Funnily, our zip code's post office is in downtown Frederick, about 10 miles away...but the closest one is in Barnesville, about 5 miles away! :rolleyes:

Darko
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:42 PM
yes we have that issue too. Barn in Barnesville, literally could walk to post office, but Dickerson zipcode. Constantly explaining this to people.

gottagrey
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:48 AM
thanks you guys...the friend I'm helping lives/rides in Leesburg area but works in G'burg so is targeting both sides of the Potomac right now... I appreciate everyone sticking to the target zone. So often on these kinds of threads someone will ask where is a good barn in DC and the replies are Sally is an excelling trainer in Warrenton/Culpeper or Richmond... LOL

LearnToFly
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:14 PM
Can I hijack this thread real quick? I might be moving to Baltimore in the next month or so, I have NO IDEA where to live or where to ride. Can some kind soul PM me and help guide me out of the murky waters?

Lisamarie8
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:48 PM
Can I hijack this thread real quick? I might be moving to Baltimore in the next month or so, I have NO IDEA where to live or where to ride. Can some kind soul PM me and help guide me out of the murky waters?

Hey LTF, I don't know much about the boarding situation close to Baltimore City, but I know there are some good options. As far as places to live in the city, shoot me a PM and I'll try to point you in the right direction (and help you from going in the WRONG ones :p ).