PDA

View Full Version : event rider size ??

Tamara in TN
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
ok please promise not to wreck or derail in the first 15 posts at least. kay??

what is the biggest event rider you know and what level do they ride ???

I am not asking about weight and/or pounds, but rather height (which I understands correlates to height after a certain point) or to use and old livestockmans' term "frame"?? And knowing VERY little about it I'm asking here

thanks!
Tamara in TN

deltawave
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:00 PM
I can never tell how tall people are when they're mounted, and also can't think of anyone I know who events that is so shockingly tall and/or broad that they strike me as unusually large people. Mudroom2 is a tall dude, but very lean.

I guess I'm not being very helpful! :lol: Mark Todd and William Fox-Pitt are quite tall, no?

Tamara in TN
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
no no not "who" so much as the size involved...5'9", 6'1", 6'3" that sort of thing...

Tamara in TN

bambam
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:05 PM
WFP is 6'3 or 6'4 and riding at the 4 star level- thin frame
That what you are looking for?
I also know a couple of solidly built tall men (about 6 feet and definitely 200+ pounds) that ride up to the prelim level

Beam Me Up
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:05 PM
I can think of a couple guys in our area who have ridden advanced (though more recently I've seen them on greenies) that seem like bigger football player type (I don't know, I'm a bad estimator, maybe 6'1/200 or so). There is also a larger woman (guessing <200) who rides at Advanced.

I haven't seen anyone unusually large either, but I think there is a wide range of rider (and horse) physiques out there.

If you are asking this on behalf of a larger rider who wants to get into eventing, I don't think size should deter them.

Ibex
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:11 PM
There are a couple of guys around here eventing... considerably taller than I am (5'10") and fairly solid in an athletic way. Don't know them well enough to ask what they weigh, but I'm sure they're not flyweights.

JAM
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:16 PM
Mark Todd is also 6'3".

WFP is 6'3 or 6'4 and riding at the 4 star level- thin frame
That what you are looking for?
I also know a couple of solidly built tall men (about 6 feet and definitely 200+ pounds) that ride up to the prelim level

Fractious Fox
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:26 PM
I know of a girl who is at least 6' but very slender, and her mother is at least 5'10 (my height), but I think taller. Girl is going training but who knows how far she'll go, she's quite committed and good. Her mom schools prelim I think. Also, I generally recall a lot of "not petite" people in my area at the events.

I always got the impression eventing spoke to a much broader spectrum of rider types than other disciplines... as long as you were capable, you'd move forward. I know you didn't ask this specifically, but I think it's worth mentioning. It makes eventing that much more unique.

JER
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:36 PM
William Fox-Pitt is 6'5".

There's another European rider who is even taller, I think he's Swiss. I saw something about him in Eventing magazine -- I think he's a YR (or just out of YR) and has ridden at CCI***.

Mudroom
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you DW, I'll take "lean" any day!

I am 6'4" just over 200 #'s, have competed up to CCI* on my 17.2 TB/Perch (he is probably 1600#'s)

kinnip
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:44 PM
You know I was just wondering the exact opposite: what's the height of the smallest eventer out there?

CiegoStar
Jan. 18, 2011, 01:57 PM
Karen O'Connor, Kim Severson and Gina Miles are all petite. Not sure who is the smallest, we should have a lineup! :)

One of the things I like about eventing is how you - and your horse! -don't have to be a cookie cutter shape to succeed.

bambam
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:01 PM
[quote=JER;5366532]William Fox-Pitt is 6'5".
/quote]
I have seen official profiles give him a range of heights from 6'3 to 6'5
He did not look 5 inches taller than me when I stood next to him so I tend to regard the 6'5 number with scepticism but I did not pull out a tape measure or research it or ask him so who knows- he could be :)

GotSpots
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
Good riders come in all sorts of sizes. When I think of the extremes, I think of folks like Carol Kozlowski, who is tiny and a fabulous rider. She successfully petitioned to change the rules requiring riders to carry a certain amount of weight at FEI events. On the other extreme, Kyle Carter is a fairly tall, substantial rider, and does a lovely job on his upper level and WEG horses - and I suspect never had to carry a weight pad at any point in his career.

VicariousRider
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hawley Bennet is TINY. I want to say 5'2" or under. And Livingstone was not a small horse!

JWB
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:41 PM
My coach has ridden several horses at advanced/ 3* and she is tiny - only 5ft.

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:46 PM
Hawley Bennet is TINY. I want to say 5'2" or under. And Livingstone was not a small horse!
Yup I think she's 5'2 or so haha! She looks much better on my skinny little 16 hand tb than I do :p she's definitely smaller than Karen and gina! :)

Jan. 18, 2011, 06:24 PM
Jennifer Wooten is TINY. Maybe not the shortest, but definitely smaller than anyone I've seen. She buys her clothes in the childrens' section, and size 0 is too big for her.

Ajierene
Jan. 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=Tamara in TN;5366117I am not asking about weight and/or pounds, but rather height (which I understands correlates to height after a certain point)
thanks! [/quote]

Yes...height does tend to correlate with height....

Had to point it out because it made me chuckle.

Height and weight do not seem to be limiting factors in eventing. Everyone from Buck Davidson, William Fox-Pitt and Karen O'Connor compete at the same level.

Locally, I see all shapes and sizes. The important thing is how you ride the horse. I have seen smaller people who ride like a sack of potatoes and tend to make a horse more back sore than larger. The 'picture' does not matter either, as it does in disciplines like hunter, so people are less worried about how they look on the horse, as long as they can get the job done.

Bravestrom
Jan. 18, 2011, 07:49 PM
my boys are pretty tall - they have only evented to pt - were ready for training and we sold their horses - they both now have new horses that we are hoping will take them much higher - young horses though so it may take a bit - in any event they are 6'1 and 6'3 - both about 200 lbs - so they are pretty tall.

Tamara in TN
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:05 AM
thank you for the replies.

I asked for my 12 yo dau.
she is 5'8" already moving out of pre-teen "square" to teenag-ed
shaped:winkgrin: and just gets taller and taller and taller.

her Daddy is 6'1 and I a piddly 5'6.5" and this one already wears a mens size 9D Ariat
she is desperate to Event...

went to River Glen to watch Lisa and company ride this fall and she was sold right there.Bill Graves was up here at the farm yesterday and we even talked to him about it a bit. I want to know that if she is a a 6' tall female (which she could very well be) that she has a shot at this sport (not Olympic mind you, I am a realist) but a chance to enjoy it given her tall tall size.hence the query.:)

additional thoughts of course welcome

Tamara in TN

bambam
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
Tamara- I am 6 feet tall and my height is not an issue in eventing
In fact, having long legs can be an advantage and help you stay on when having a hairy moment because you have that much more to wrap around your horse and hang on for dear life with ;)
My goal is a one star and if I don't make it there, it won't be because of my height ;):lol:
I hope your daughter enjoys the dark side

Bravestrom
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
Tamara - I too was worried when my boys started getting taller and taller - finding large enough horses that could do the job was harder for us. We took the initiative and started breeding our own - although we did find a beautiful 17.2hh selle francais last year - check out my sons - you can see how tall they are -

www.prospectequinefarms.com/gallery.htm

Tamara in TN
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:48 AM
Tamara - I too was worried when my boys started getting taller and taller - finding large enough horses that could do the job was harder for us.
www.prospectequinefarms.com/gallery.htm

thank you...that is partially my concern as well the size of the horse needed, so at some point, she does not look like she is swallowing the thing ;)

Tamara in TN

monstrpony
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:59 AM
Tamara, eventing is the one discipline where it really doesn't matter. Just teach her to be as tough and practical as you and Calvin are, and she'll be a star.

I started eventing almost 30 years ago on a 15h appaloosa mare. I was not nearly as *ahem* large as I am now, but I've never been thin. Moved on to a stout 16h mare for my best eventing years and we were a very good match (thru Training, almost got to Prelim; I should have started at Maria's age ;) ).

bambam
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:01 AM
You don't necessarily need a huge horse for that height
I leased a TB that was 16.1 and we did just fine, although there are lots of 16.1 hand horses that feel a bit small to me. My current horses are 16.2 and 16.3 and are more than big enough for me and neither one of them is built like a tank or particularly large barreled.
Super talented tall riders can go pretty small for their horses (Mark Todd and the tiny Charisma; WFP and Tamarillo) but I am not balanced enough to pull that off

Badger
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:25 AM
I'm 5'11 and foxhunt and event through prelim on horses ranging from 16h to over 17h. Not all 16-handers will feel like a "fit" to me—they need a fairly deep barrel and a decent length of neck—but my height has never been an obstacle to finding a horse or to eventing. Height is not a limitation, in fact, I think it's a benefit. With height usually come long legs!

Now, if you can get the kid to stop her feet from growing, that would be a good thing. Once you grow out of standard shoe and boot sizes and have to go custom, that is $$$ (11-1/2 AAAA here).

Towering Mark Todd was extremely competitive on little 15.3 hand Charisma.

You've already heard from Bambam. Camstock who posts here is over 6', I believe, and competes at Prelim. Eventing is a sport that tall chicks gravitate to. :D

Tamara in TN
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=monstrpony;5368456]Tamara, eventing is the one discipline where it really doesn't matter. Just teach her to be as tough and practical as you and Calvin are, and she'll be a star.
QUOTE]

well Mister Tough and Practical is WRAPPED around the pinkie knuckle joint of a brown eyed 12 yo girl ;)

Tamara in TN

Lisa Cook
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
went to River Glen to watch Lisa and company ride this fall and she was sold right there.

She is the sweetest girl - glad she liked what she saw! :)

Not sure how far Thompson, GA is from you, but Rachel & I are returning south to compete at Pine Top March 19-20. And we'll be in Aiken the whole week before Pine Top, if you guys want to make another road trip. :) We'd love to see you and give the young'un a grand horsey tour of Aiken, if she hasn't been there before. Just to make sure she's hooked for life, and all.

Next time we'll be south after that is for the AECs in Sept, God willing and the crick don't rise. :)

monstrpony
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE]

well Mister Tough and Practical is WRAPPED around the pinkie knuckle joint of a brown eyed 12 yo girl ;)

Tamara in TN

Well, of course. That's where the large-enough horses come from ... ;)

monstrpony
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Next time we'll be south after that is for the AECs in Sept, God willing and the crick don't rise. :)

which, alas, is no longer just a figure of speech ... :uhoh:

Tamara in TN
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=Tamara in TN;5368570]

Well, of course. That's where the large-enough horses come from ... ;)

you have figured it out ! :)

and the horse van and the clothes and the lessons and the on and on and on....:lol: he's just doing it to keep her away from boys you understand !

Tamara in TN

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:02 PM

her Daddy is 6'1 and I a piddly 5'6.5" and this one already wears a mens size 9D Ariat

went to River Glen to watch Lisa and company ride this fall and she was sold right there.Bill Graves was up here at the farm yesterday and we even talked to him about it a bit. I want to know that if she is a a 6' tall female (which she could very well be) that she has a shot at this sport (not Olympic mind you, I am a realist) but a chance to enjoy it given her tall tall size.hence the query.:)

Tamara in TN

She may not get THAT tall. I was 5'7 at that age and ended up 5'9". My brother is 6'3".

I do have a pretty long leg and am fairly long in the body (although I match). Just not as short coupled as some of my friends;).

I've evented horses as small as 15.3 and my best jumper was only 15.2 hands. Even if she is 6', her height will not keep her from being able to succeed as an eventer.

Make sure she has saddles that fit her leg. That was something that took me several years to sort out and makes a huge difference in your position and balance. Because she will be taller...her position is key. As a taller rider, you actually have more leverage and can have more influence. This is both a good thing and bad! If she watches the taller riders like WFP...they are very quiet and subtle in their movements...and stay very balanced (requires a lot of core strength). Those are all things to work towards.

I wouldn't stress about it....she will not need monster sized horses and her height will not hold her back.

Finding a date that she can wear high heels with....well that is another story:winkgrin:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
ETA: Here is me (solid 5'9") on a not even 16.1 hand TB. I know several riders over 6' who ride horses his size or even smaller...at all levels. (picture was bought)

I don't think your daughter will be prevented from eventing just based on her height.

jackalini
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:16 PM

Tamara in TN

Oh heck - I wasn't sure why you were asking, but now that I know, I definitely can contribute. I AM a 6', ok, 5'11.5" tall female who events. I am about to start at Novice with my mare, but I had done training with my old gelding when I was in HS.

My mare is 15.3H on a good day. ;) My profile photo is me finishing up xc on miss shortstuff.

My height has never been a big deal, and it doesn't make me a worse nor better rider than those less amazonian. Seriously. Where other riders may fight their short arms or legs, long torso, etc, I learn to keep quiet with my body, keep my balance points aligned and such. We all fight different battles in trying to be the best rider we can. :)

With the right instructor, plenty of motivation and determination, she will do just fine. :D

Justa Bob
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:29 PM
he's just doing it to keep her away from boys you understand !

He is a brilliant man! Indulging in horses is a great recipe for raising kids...worth every penny.

I am 5'10" and can ride lots of different sized horses. Remind DD that worrying about this or that perceived "limitation" is just that. A perception. Humans can come up with the silliest things to worry themselves about. Especially teens. Have a ball!

Wordplay1832
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:33 PM
"I wouldn't stress about it....she will not need monster sized horses and her height will not hold her back.

Finding a date that she can wear high heels with....well that is another story:winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

SO True about the finding a date that you can wear high heels with...sigh... I'm almost 5'10'' (I'm 21 and a senior in college) and that is much more frustrating for me than eventing with my height!
I have to be aware of my body position a bit more than some people if I'm on a smaller horse (I work horses from large ponies through massive horses). My own horse is about 16.1, she's built a little petite and narrow, but has substance and a nice neck. My trouble occasionally is that my height is mostly in my really long legs and so I really have to work on my leg on her. But on a bigger barreled horse it's not an issue and I think really on my horse it makes me more work on my stability which helps on every horse!

My trainer always tells me that I am the perfect height and body type for this sport, I may need to work a little harder to make sure that I am using it to my advantage, but it can create really lovely lines in the dressage. Plus my long legs have helped me "stick" on many occasions! The leverage we gain from being a little taller can make it a lot easier for us to quietly pilot a horse than a smaller person. The other horse I compete I am able to ride in all 3 phases in a snaffle where as a friend of mine who is barely 5' needed to jump her in an elevator simply because the horse is pretty big and my friend is not. It's not that I am a better rider than she is, she is actually more experienced, but it made her job a lot easier when she was not as proportional to the horse.
A person of any height can do this sport successfully with the right skills!

Tamara in TN
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=jackalini;5368854]Oh heck - I wasn't sure why you were asking, but now that I know, I definitely can contribute.

well there are lots of trainwrecks on this board when w*ight is mentioned and I did not want to tell all my "business" right up front, so I probably worded it badly to being with ;)

my (about to be) 18yo is only 5'8 and so this was never a concern,while she can outride most grown people she chooses not to anymore, so while sad that is just her path she's picked...

the Middlest Child is the one I am speaking about,she has had XC Rolex pics on her wall since she was 8yos ;) we take hunter type lessons for her in the Valley, but they are 60 min away and winter hours and weather has screwed us out of lots of rides the last 4 mos...

also she has ridden out here on this farm since she could toddle up to her hand-me-down Shetland Pepper (RIP) and kick and go...(think 1,000 contiguous rolling acres)

so the ring jumping work there at the farm is both exciting (for the difference) but tedious in such a small and flat place as even their good sized ring is...

thanks for indulging my questions!

Tamara in TN

CookiePony
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:24 PM
Other tall event riders on COTH: purplnrpl and BigMick. Both are lovely riders.
Just make sure you get her a jump saddle that has a forward enough flap for her long legs. :)

sisu27
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:40 PM
Someone already mentioned Kyle Carter. He's pretty tall and not skinny like WFP. Parker can't be any taller then 16.2 and they look fine together.

I'm 5'9" and my horse is 16.2 but I still ride ponies, no problem. Think of polo...mostly men and I rarely think they look too big for those little ponies. I only notice how small their rides are when I play my 16.2 horse! Then they look so small and my horse feels sooooo big!!

The obsession with big horses is silly. My next purchase will be a 15 hand'er.

Selena O Hanlon is pretty tall as well and I don't think any of her rides are extra tall.

rosijet
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:54 PM
Rhymeswithfizz and Ishi are also tall, female event riders. I would guess they are each 5'10" or 5'11". Both are lovely riders!

jackalini
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE]

well there are lots of trainwrecks on this board when w*ight is mentioned and I did not want to tell all my "business" right up front, so I probably worded it badly to being with ;)

Totally understandable. :) I wasn't worried about a trainwreck, especially from you (though I certainly try to avoid posting on those in general), I just thought you were looking for ULR types, and while I'm upper level in height ;) I'm lower level in competitions. :lol:

I've not been riding since that age (though over 20 years at this point as it stands), but I think the biggest thing that has helped me was to ride, with knowledgable eyes around, lots of different types. I've sat on small, short, big, tall and everything in-between, with someone to tell me to sit up, sit back or soften, etc. It really helps you learn to be more aware of body usage than just the muscle memory type learning you get by mastering one horse.

I wish her great fun and success as an eventer, and may she enjoy being the first to know when it rains! :D

Tamara in TN
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:33 AM
=jackalini;5370600]

Totally understandable. :) I wasn't worried about a trainwreck, especially from you (though I certainly try to avoid posting on those in general), I just thought you were looking for ULR types, and while I'm upper level in height ;) I'm lower level in competitions. :lol:

no not upper level just in general

I wish her great fun and success as an eventer, and may she enjoy being the first to know when it rains! :D

thank you and I'll tell her!!

Tamara in TN

mjrtango93
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:52 AM
thank you...that is partially my concern as well the size of the horse needed, so at some point, she does not look like she is swallowing the thing ;)

Tamara in TN

Don't worry to much about that, it's easier then you think. I am a 6 foot woman, and my advanced/4 star horse was 16.1.

monstrpony
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:44 AM
the Middlest Child is the one I am speaking about, she has had XC Rolex pics on her wall since she was 8yos ;)

... also she has ridden out here on this farm since she could toddle up to her hand-me-down Shetland Pepper (RIP) and kick and go...(think 1,000 contiguous rolling acres)

You know, these two things are perhaps the most important in her future success in eventing. First, that it bubbles in her blood, and second, that she has experience from her youngest days in getting out in the open and galloping. The lack of this last is mentioned in almost every article and presentation about "what eventing/eventers need"; I bet you even heard GM mention it a time or two last week.

Just get the two of you on something (well, something NOT a tractor ...), and go out and ya-hoo with her on that 1000 acres. The rest will take care of itself.

roki143
Jan. 20, 2011, 01:47 PM
It definitely took me a while to appreciate my height. At first, I really wanted to be shorter and not feel like I was the only kid who had to order extra long stirrup leathers

At 5'12" :), I currently ride a 16.1 hand OTTB, but about 10 years ago, I pony-clubbed a 15.1 Morgan through the B level. I also have client horses that range from 14.3 to 17 hands.

I guess I'm what you call 'slender' but not too skinny, and I'm really still figuring out all the cool buttons that I have access too because of my height. Plus I agree with the poster who said that my 'extra' leg lengths has helped stick out a few iffy moments.

As for the heals - I finally just had to find a guy who was comfortable with me being taller. We are the same height without shoes, but I do love me some heals!!!!

bigbaytb
Jan. 21, 2011, 08:07 AM
Tamara,

I'm a tall chic at 5'10 and really long legs (my tall boots are custom at 22.5"!) I'm also not a skinny chic too. And as it was said before, long legs do really help!

For awhile, most of my horses were 16.2 +. Gelding is 17 hands. However, my Wb mare, who I purchased as a yearling, is now at 16hh at 7 years old. she needs xw saddles, but is not stocky nor too refined looking. I'm comfortable riding both horses even though I may feel too big on the mare. but read on...

I event and foxhunt both horses. I kept worrying about me being to big for my mare, both height and weight because I have been so used to my big horses. However, every BNT and clinic I have been to, the clinician/trainer has commented that they have no problem with my match up with her.

While she was just competing BN last year for experience, a BNT had us doing the same size training and some Prelim xc fences as I did with my other horse during a clinic (this mare loves to jump too so it didn't over face her at all). he knew I was sensitive about my match up with her and pondering if I should keep her, but he proved to me that she was as good or better than my gelding and said that he had no issues with the match up.

Another BNT had seen us at a schooling show. I was just doing a WT dressage test when she was 4, and still not very mature looking (and maybe around 15.2). he rode by, he is very tall and has competed 4* etc. He rode by and commented "that is a cute horse. I like them small like that, even for someone as tall as me. They have less problems than tall horses."

What I'm trying to say is don't look for a horse for it's height. You do want to be comfortable look at horses who get the job done, are sensible and fun. there are alot of good horses, sometimes you just pay more $$ for the taller ones, well, because the are taller LOL. but when looking or riding, Keep an open mind.

Fancy That
Jan. 22, 2011, 12:08 PM
My friend runs Prelim with her Perch/TB and she's 6'1" tall, with big square shoulders/large frame. She's thin though.

Her inseam is 38"! Your daughter should be fine eventing :)

Here she is jumping:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/misc/WinstonTiffjump.jpg

Tamara in TN

Eventcrazy
Jan. 23, 2011, 12:11 AM
5’11” here and ride 15.2 hand cob currently training level. Before him I rode a 16.2 hand TB. The cob fits much better. He rides like a much bigger pony! The TB was not very wide body horse. I have a long flap saddle and it works! My main problem is my upper body gets me in trouble. There are loads of tall riders and most ride all sizes of horses or ponies!

Kementari
Jan. 23, 2011, 06:08 AM
I'm 5'8" and average build, and my mare (http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RUVk6tMI0PQ/SSiiwdSJEVI/AAAAAAAAAX4/5usLhv2Ufak/taridressage2.jpg) is a hair under 14.2. We haven't competed yet, but I am sure my skill, not my size, will be our limiting factor. My now-retired TB (http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RUVk6tMI0PQ/S3dFRnWCeFI/AAAAAAAACqQ/4aLDTiQk5qQ/s640/web%20hunter%20hack%209_2_06.jpg) was 15.2 with shoes on, and it never bothered either of us.