PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Stewart clinics

Mr.GMan
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:05 AM
My trainer has an opportunity to get him to our area...before I say I will commit, who has done a clinic with him? What was it like? Pros/cons? Thanks for the input :-)

xQHDQ
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
I watched a jumping clinic that he gave to some Pony Club kids in our area. He was very entertaining. His style, at least for them, was more motivational than a riding lesson - kind of like Jane Savoie's Program Your Position. However, ALL of the kids improved.

Sonesta
Jan. 19, 2011, 10:42 AM
Daniel is wonderful if you are just getting started in dressage or you need someone to find how your body is crooked and how to fix it (many riders have a "c" or "s" curve in their spines that affect their riding).

He is entertaining, movtivating and uses lots of good analogies and word pictures.

You will enjoy his clinic a lot. And I think ALL riding instructors who deal with lower level riders in any discipline should audit him at least once as he will give you lots of good ways to explain complicated concepts.

Mr.GMan
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:43 AM
I believe we are more interested in the "Psycho" clinics he has to offer. I know a couple of us have taken some bad spills so his motivational side would be awesome. I watched a link that was sent to me of him speaking somewhere and I loved it!

BAC
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
I rode in one of his "videotape" clinics, and thought he was excellent, he is innovative, demanding and motivating. I am not a dressage rider but he does many clinics geared for the H/J disciplines. I think if you check out his website he used to list all the different clinics he offered.

I rode in a small group (3) for about 2o minutes being taped at the W/T/C and over a few fences. Then we untack the horses and put them away and go inside where he analyzes our riding, especially noticing straightness, and how our positions are effecting the horse's way of going. That took about 90 minutes, then we tack up and have an intense 60-90 minute lesson working on all we learned during the video analysis. Once your faults are pointed out, and he makes suggestions on how to make corrections, we were all highly motivated to get back on the horse and put his suggestions into action. I would definitely do it again.

snoopy
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:10 PM
Daniel is wonderful if you are just getting started in dressage or you need someone to find how your body is crooked and how to fix it (many riders have a "c" or "s" curve in their spines that affect their riding).

He is entertaining, movtivating and uses lots of good analogies and word pictures.

You will enjoy his clinic a lot. And I think ALL riding instructors who deal with lower level riders in any discipline should audit him at least once as he will give you lots of good ways to explain complicated concepts.

It would seem that EVERYONE (according to him) has C or S curves in his clinics.....EVERYONE. He did the video thing as well as brought his balancing device (for sale). It was all rather predictable.

I was distracted by his rather weird hybrid accent while others were distracted by the fact he is easy on the eys.

A lot of money for a bit of eye candy...not much else.

katie+tru
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
I rode with him a few years back when I was about 15. He was very friendly and positive despite the fact that I couldn't get my very green horse over the flowerbox crossbars right away. :)

I will say though, my trainer does not totally agree with how he wants your position to be over and after fences. It's not some horrible tactic he does, but it's just not something everyone favors. But hey, that's the point of clinics, learn new ways of doing something.

If he came back around I'd totally ride with him again just for the fun of it.

katie+tru
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
It would seem that EVERYONE (according to him) has C or S curves in his clinics.....EVERYONE. He did the video thing as well as brought his balancing device (for sale). It was all rather predictable.

When you watched the videos together DID you all actually have crooked spines? I mean, if you did you did. Can't argue that. He was getting on people in my group about not being straight up and down, the whole shoudler-hip-ankle deal. He would put a ruler up to the TV screen to prove it. He was correct each time though, as some of these other people were waaay out of place. However, he did try to tell my friend who was in my group that her chin was sticking out too much. lol

Sonesta
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
It would seem that EVERYONE (according to him) has C or S curves in his clinics.....EVERYONE.

Well, when at our place, only TWO of the 20 riders were straight - and he was very quick to point this out and bragged on them to no end. Seems MOST people are crooked in a "C" or "S", but not all of them.

Duramax
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:32 PM
I was "given" an entry in one of his psycho-clinics. HATED it. To the point of I actually thought about excusing myself from the lesson halfway into it but that would have looked pretty darn bad since I'm the instructor for the pony club that was hosting the clinic. I get the idea behind the point of the psycho-clinic but to me it did not at all replicate horse show stress. If horse shows felt like that I would have never gone to another horse show after my first. I liked the actual exercise that he had set up (the "zipper" and the "box") but felt like the pyscho-clinic encouraged psycho riding from the participants and the horses paid the price by being yanked and kicked around the exercises. :no: I feel like his unmounted talks about sports psychology are somewhat valid but filled with way too much marketing for my taste.

Mr.GMan
Jan. 20, 2011, 08:58 AM
Duramax, can you elaborate or pm me about your experience? What exactly does one do at the Psycho clinic? I couldn't find info to specifics on his site. Thanks!

Duramax
Jan. 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
He basically tries to stress you out as you're riding. For instance- one of his exercises called the Zipper looks like a maze of cross rails. He gives you your "course" (double, diagonal, bounce, chute, chute, double) and immediately sends you off to do it. Just as you're starting out (and trying to get it all sorted out in your head) he'll say "same course but start with the chute!"). So he purposefully tries to get you rattled... I'm ok with the premise, but the reality was that it doesn't feel like horse show stress- it reminded me of the feeling of being in my multivariable calculus class in college. I really do understand the idea behind his theory but everyone just ended up yanking and kicking their horses around the "course" which I thought was awful. :no:

lorilu
Jan. 21, 2011, 01:05 PM
Most responses have been about the jumping. What about expereinces with the video/discussion format, or the rider x-training?
L

Sancudo
Jan. 23, 2011, 08:25 PM
I audited a clinic and it was much as Duramax described. Lot of yanking and kicking and flailing around on the wrong lead around a tiny jump course with his patented named exercises. I watched several sessions, beginner to B level, and it all looked much the same with no improvement, but the kids seemed to enjoy it I guess. He made them laugh, and it was certainly different than what they are used to. It didn't seem to matter how your horse jumped or managed the jumps, or how the rider rode, as long as the course was remembered.

I don't know how the dressage would go, and many people swore to me to take his videotape sessions, but after watching the jump clinic (and I event too) I wouldn't do it.

Sonesta
Jan. 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
Never saw a jump clinic from him, but his dressage clinics are NOTHING like the descriptions above of the jump clinics. They are about smoothness and correctness and balance and following hands.