PDA

View Full Version : Seat ?

charismalover
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:34 PM
I know that in jumping you want to have a light seat and have your but go with your horse. In dressage do you sit the canter or do you kinda follow the saddle?

angel
Jan. 18, 2011, 08:38 AM
You definitely sit the canter in dressage, and just as a side note, there are lots of poor canter seats in dressage. There should never be a flop of the seat on the saddle at the end of the canter stride, and if you watch, you will see many, many riders still flopping.

For jumping, the rider takes the center of gravity forward, over the horse's center, or we call it a "forward seat." For dressage, we seek to bring the horse's center back more into allignment with the rider's center by teaching the horse to collect. In this later instance, we call the seat a "following seat" because it stays following behind the horse's center of gravity. As the horse learns to work in collection, the center of the horse and the center of the rider come closer to allignment. This is why a well-trained dressage horse should be a smoother ride.

Po-Po
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:07 AM
Nicely said. :yes:

You definitely sit the canter in dressage, and just as a side note, there are lots of poor canter seats in dressage. There should never be a flop of the seat on the saddle at the end of the canter stride, and if you watch, you will see many, many riders still flopping.

For jumping, the rider takes the center of gravity forward, over the horse's center, or we call it a "forward seat." For dressage, we seek to bring the horse's center back more into allignment with the rider's center by teaching the horse to collect. In this later instance, we call the seat a "following seat" because it stays following behind the horse's center of gravity. As the horse learns to work in collection, the center of the horse and the center of the rider come closer to allignment. This is why a well-trained dressage horse should be a smoother ride.

Reiter
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:14 AM
Nicely said. :yes:

Well, a Popo should know! ;)
Sorry too much coffee already this morning!

Po-Po
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:19 AM
Lol...the name of my horse is Polaris....sometimes I call him Po-Po as a pet name. :D That's where the user name comes from. :yes:

EasyStreet
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:06 PM
Spot on Angel!! Easier said than done...the flopping part!:lol::lol: