PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Planning: Which 4* Horse Trials to Attend?

Pcostx
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:26 PM
Ok all you Eventing fans. I've been to Badminton and Rolex. Should I go back to one of those or go to Pau in France or Luhmuhlen in Germany?

If you had your choice, which of these 4* Horse Trials would you attend and why?

OR, should I attend Burghley in Sept. 2011?

I'm planning one big trip for 2011 and I want to attend one of these Events. Help me choose which one.

Things to consider, weather (where is it likely to be the best), other neat things to do/see in the area, etc.

I look forward to your input!

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:00 AM
Not a four star, but I loved Blair Castle Horse Trial and Country Fair in Scotland in August. The whiskey companies give out free samples. The wineries give out free samples. The breweries give out free samples. The cheese makers give out free samples. There is a large tent filled with "food" vendors selling their wares including fresh beef. The meat pies are delicious and affordable, and I wish they were sold here at our horse trials. If you are not into food (something must be very wrong with you) there are demonstrations going on all the time with terriers, falconry, pony club games. There was even an off the track TB show taking place at the same time, and some other breed shows. They had some tv show there launching watermellons or something of the sort. Of course you can even walk over and take a tour of the castle or walk into the town. There are a zillion other castles within an hours drive to check out. And you would not want to miss staying in Edinburgh or heading up north to see the Lochness monster or the beautiful train bridge shown in Harry Potter. Two years ago we watched Lucinda Green and Clark Montgomery make a go of it at the horse trial. Lucinda got dumped into the water and had to do the long "walk of shame" back to stabling (her words, not mine...and then she grumbled something about the one fall rule) and Clark rode beautifully for a second place in the 3 star when I think only half the riders actually finished the course.

scubed
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
I have friends who say Pau is a great experience

Backstage
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:35 AM
I was fortunate enough to go to both Pau and Burghley in '07. Had a SUPER time at both. If you have already experienced Badminton, it might be fun to head to Pau. Very different atmosphere, but a really gorgeous course and the surrounding area is really lovely. A great time of year to travel too - not too hot and a bit cheaper than traveling at the end of August.