PDA

View Full Version : Eventing near Brevard or Asheville, NC

lbennet6
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:05 PM
I am looking at taking a job in Brevard, NC and looking at barns & trainers. However I am not finding any eventing barns close...HELP! Tryon is about an hour away and so is Liberty, SC. Those are the closest trainers and eventing barns that I have found. Please tell me I am not potentially moving to an area that has no eventers :eek:

On a side note...I just graduated from grad school in Mississippi looking for my first professional job, therefore I can't be too picky. Also, I don't have a truck or trailer (have to pay off student loans before I get that) so trailering for lessons is not an option.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

mortebella
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:35 PM
I live just over the mountain from Asheville...I'm a re-rider, haven't worked up to eventing yet, but I like a good hunter pace and do some h/j shows the past couple of years. The best my trainer and I can work it out, Tryon is as close as you're gonna find. Biltmore runs a hunter pace (that's right in Asheville.) H/j folks are pretty much SOL in the mountains. There are some shows much farther west in Knoxville and in Blowing Rock, but by and large it's slim pickin's til you get towards the southeast. Sorry, I stay kinda bummed about it too - especially considering we have a powerhouse school here (VI.)

(Not meaning to say there aren't mixed discipline and unrated shows closer at hand.)

belleellis
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:49 PM
I grew up in Brevard and have no idea why anyone would want to live there. But that is just me! LOL. My family is all still there. It is beautiful but kinda backwards.
Look up: http://www.holly-view.com/ Tracy Gant owns it. Her mother was my elementary school principal. Tracy is a super nice lady. She used to have a trainer come up from Tryon once or twice a week who was excellent. They used to also attend some shows and hunter paces. FYI - Pisgah Forest is in the same county as Brevard.
The Biltimore Estate did do horse boarding in Asheville. I have not been to the horse facilities in years. However the used to have xcountry and an indoor along with some show held each year. Wish I had more info for you on that but do check into it.
You might want to try the offcourse as I know several folks post on COTH that live in WNC and they are probably more up to date than I am with what is around.

lbennet6
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info!! I'll check it out.

belleellis
Jan. 18, 2011, 08:42 AM
You might also check out: http://wchpace.org/default.asp
That is the hunterpace serious. We do a few in Tryon with them. They are so much fun. Very well ran at very nice facilities. They have a lot of folks that are involved with that. They do have contact info on the website above and they would probably be a wealth of knowledge. Worth a try.

Carolinadreamin'
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:19 AM
Look at The Farmhouse website. They have a partial list of trainers for various disciplines. Also check out the SCDCTA and NCDCTA websites for ideas. I think FRC also has a membership list.

monstrpony
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
Biltmore still has boarding and an active lesson program, but more leaning toward a bit of dressage and some natural horsemanship. Still have vestiges of the xc course, but don't use it for any competitions other than the hunter paces. There is active eventing in the Tryon/Landrum area; two recognized events and two schooling events each year at FENCE. There are some h/j barns and some dressage activity in Asheville.

It is possible to have fun with horses in this area, but hard-core eventing will be limited esp w/o your own transportation.

stquaranta
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
I live in South Asheville and board my horse in Tryon. It's about a 35 minute drive to my barn, which for me, isn't too bad. If you can find a barn in Tryon, there are tons of eventers and event trainers there....some really great ones. I find that it's better to board in Tryon because you can ride more--the weather is better in the winter and it's always about 6-8 degrees warmer. I would really suggest that you take a look down there and find a barn there. If you're a serious eventer, you can not find a better place to be than the Tryon/Landrum area!

CapturinYerRide
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hey LB, good to hear you will be closer to Tryon.. I don't know too many eventer barns and trainers who are "up the hill" from Tryon, but you might see if your good buddy down her has a copy of the Foothills Riding Club 2010 directory. I'll tell her you were looking for one. Besides any suggestions you see above this post, I'm sure you can find boarding facilities up there and in the area.

Good luck on the job!

Oberon13
Jan. 18, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hi, stquaranta! ;)

I would agree that you'd feel better boarding in the Tryon area. There are plenty of barns and trainers (again, check out FRC - Foothills Riding Club, or The Farmhouse), and there are events to go to and folks who will take you. I'm in the same boat as you...no truck/trailer, and it sucks! Getting the maresy off the property can be tough!